Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE SILVER CHALICE (1954) on TCM right now... 1:15pm est

Allhallowsday

7 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

THE SILVER CHALICE (1954)  - for the fan of BAD MOVIES it's terrible... and a LOT of fun! 

It's like a high school play, with the chintzy sets. I think Warner's tapped their TV unit to put it all together because it really looks like it was done on the cheap. But you're right....So fun. Paul Newman and Virginia Mayo as an item?...Hilarious. And Jack Palance's jaw must have been pretty tired from chewing all that scenery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.grunge.com/803390/what-did-paul-newman-think-about-his-movie-the-silver-chalice/

Based on the 1952 novel by Thomas B. Costain, "The Silver Chalice" tells the story of a young Greek sculptor named Basil (Paul Newman) who gets sold into slavery. Starring alongside major Hollywood hitters like Natalie Wood and Pier Angeli, you'd think that Newman would have sported nothing but unabashed enthusiasm for the project. Sadly, his notions toward it were anything but favorable.

"I was horrified and traumatized when I saw the film." He once shared. "I was sure my acting career had begun and ended in the same picture." In fact, Newman despised "The Silver Chalice" so devoutly, he reportedly spent $1,200 on ads warning people not to see it. He hated the wardrobe, he hated his performance, and he especially hated the fact that critics were consistently comparing his looks to Marlon Brando's. "It was god-awful," Newman stated (per By the Gods).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I don't think they used any chintz.  ;)  (Y'want "chintzy" look at Liz Taylor and Richard Burton in THE V.I.P.S ).  TH SILVER CHALICE is austere, high-style, bare bones (cheap). :D

I haven't seen in it in forty years but yes that is my recollection. I remember Virginia's scene best where she pours nothing into empty cup after cup after cup while dancing and making flirty remarks to all the men. It had the cheap feel of a nudie movie only with no nudity. 

• Haha 2

You'd think they'd have been ashamed of making such a cheap spectacle coming on the heels of Quo Vadis? (or even The Robe), but guess not. Probably all the stilted language was supposed to make it seem classy, but it comes off like The Bowery Boys doing Shakespeare. 

• Haha 1

I just love The Silver Chalice and was delighted to have the opportunity to see some of it today. Paul Newman truly looks like a boy dragged into the high school play at the last minute. Who could imagine that this guy was going to have such a wonderful acting career? He is outacted by everyone else and looks silly and uncomfortable in his shorty tunic. What a perfect film for the last day of the message boards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings