Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just want to know if anybody else is a fan of this actress on the TCM board. Even though she won an oscar, I still feel that she is very underrated. I know that she isn't as well respected as Bette Davis or Katherine Hepburn but I think she's a good actress and I am glad that TCM are playing some of her films this week. I wish that more of her films would be relased on DVD.

Edited by: Kubrickbuff on Oct 20, 2009 9:46 PM

I've found Joan Fontanine to have been an Extraordinary Actress.

She gave an Outstanding Performance as Mrs De Winter in 'Rebecca',

with Laurence Olivier and Judith Anderson.

And I also Enjoyed her in 'The Constant Nymph", with Peter Lorre

and her very much Love interest, Charles Boyer.

She was Superb in this movie, as a Young Girl with a Big Infatuation.

I, for one, have truly Enjoyed Joan Fontaine's Movies, Immensely !

Ugaarte

While admittedly not a big fan of Miss Fontaine, I have to say she was fun to watch in *Born to be Bad* (1950), coming up on TCM Nov 10, 08:00AM. It seemed to be a rare opportunity for her to play against type (Zachary Scott, too, for that matter), and she makes the most of it. I think this was the movie where I first noticed the magnetism of Robert Ryan. Soapy, overheated dialogue, over-the-top acting, Nicholas Ray's expert direction. Yep, must see again.

I like Joan Fontaine well enough. I was looking over her filmography and except for films like *Rebecca* and *Suspicion*, and films where she was only in support, like *Gunga Din* and *The Women*, there is much I haven't seen. I remember watching her last film *The Witches.* She was alright but I found the film a little disapointing.

There is one film I really wish TCM would show. It's *From This Day Forward* and I saw it maybe twenty years ago on TNT. I thought it was a real gem that you don't ever hear about it. Hopefully TCM will show it one day.

She only made a handful of noteworthy films, but the ones she did have lasted. She'll always be remembered for Rebecca if nothing else.........I liked some of the comedies she did in the 40s. But I'd have to see them again to reevaluate them. Was back in the late show days of tv.......Has anyone seen Letter From An Unknown Woman? That one is supposed to be good. Havent seen it though.........is she still in good health does anyone know? I know she lives in the Bay area of CA.........

Edited by: Hibi on Oct 21, 2009 4:52 PM

Yes,I too would love to see again FROM THIS DAY FORWARD.It's a beautiful love story that takes place in an area of NYC where I spent my childhood.I loved the chemistry between Joan Fontaine and Mark Stevens which I believe was his first major role. There was also a beautiful score by Leigh Harline.The old AMC played this movie many times years ago,but I don't recall it ever being shown on TCM. Could it be unfortunately a rights issue again?