Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Within the Law" (1939) / "The Law on Her Hands" (1936)

HollywoodGolightly

Couple of interesting crime movies from the 30s coming up this morning on TCM:

*Within the Law* (1939) 7:30am ET

A wrongly convicted woman studies law and seeks her revenge.

Cast: Ruth Hussey, Tom Neal, Paul Kelly, William Gargan Dir: Gustav Machaty BW-65 mins, TV-G

*The Law in Her Hands* (1936) 11:45am ET

A lady lawyer for the mob tries to break free of her criminal connections.

Cast: Margaret Lindsay, Glenda Farrell, Warren Hull, Lyle Talbot Dir: William Clemens BW-58 mins, TV-G

I watched WITHIN THE LAW and found it a fun programmer. I was especially interested as both Paul Kelly and Tom Neal were in the cast and I've long thought that there was a facial resemblance between the two.

They had something else in common - Paul Kelly had already served time for manslaughter and Tom Neal would do the same in the future.

Also noteworthy is that this was directed by Gustav Machat? who directed Hedy Lamarr in ECSTASY. He didn't fare too well in the States, getting little more than some uncredited second unit or retake work, "B" movies and a "Crime Does Not Pay" short.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> Also noteworthy is that this was directed by Gustav Machat? who directed Hedy Lamarr in ECSTASY. He didn't fare too well in the States, getting little more than some uncredited second unit or retake work, "B" movies and a "Crime Does Not Pay" short.

I though the name sounded familiar, but I was too lazy to look it up! ;)