Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mamba and Eleanor Boardman

JackFavell

My sister just sent me this blog link, and I was floored, first at the finding of this interesting color film, but mostly at Eleanor Boardman's speaking voice which was not only good, but excellent.

I have always read that Boardman was "unable to make the transition from silent movies to sound", but the voice I hear in this clip is fantastic, reminiscent of Fay Wray. Why did she not make it in talkies?

http://talkieking.blogspot.com/2009/10/mamba-1930-lost-and-found.html

She sounds perfect! What a pig she was married off to in that movie...I want to see the whole thing now!

It amazes me how many websites and blogs are popping up about the "golden age" of Hollywood. It's really neat! I mean, I can remember when you knew all the websites, now there are hundreds and hundreds and their quality is improving all the time.

Were you as stunned as I was when he loosened her sleeve? It was kind of shocking, even though it is a precode. I just wasn't expecting sweet old Jean to be such a ..... pig, as you say.

I am amazed at how many blogs there are now, and with real information! For a long time it seemed that I always knew more than the person blogging. Now I am trying desperately to catch up. :)

Eleanor Boardman didn't lose her looks AT ALL in the thirties, so I really wonder why she gave up acting or why she didn't get the parts... she looks and sounds awesome in this. She had always wanted to be an actress, so I was surprised that she only worked until 1935.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Were you as stunned as I was when he loosened her sleeve? It was kind of shocking, even though it is a precode. I just wasn't expecting sweet old Jean to be such a ..... pig, as you say.

>

Yes, I was, it was really sleazy. YOu instantly saw what the state of affairs was between these two.

> I am amazed at how many blogs there are now, and with real information! For a long time it seemed that I always knew more than the person blogging. Now I am trying desperately to catch up. :)

>

oh my goodness, that's exactly how I feel!!!!

> Eleanor Boardman didn't lose her looks AT ALL in the thirties, so I really wonder why she gave up acting or why she didn't get the parts... she looks and sounds awesome in this. She had always wanted to be an actress, so I was surprised that she only worked until 1935.

Maybe she really lost interest herself? I mean in how the movie industry was getting bigger and bigger and more like a business? Because from what I've read, the really fun days of Hollywood were the silents days when it was still a "wide open town" and everyone kind of knew each other and would visit one another's sets and studios. That's just wild guess on my part. I know next to nothing about her. Didn't she make a movie with Coop?

I don't know about Coop, but she made a couple of silents with John Gilbert, including the recently released *Bardelys the Magnificent*. She also worked with Lon Chaney and William Haines in the military comedy *Tell It to the Marines*, which is a lot of fun, but she is really just the love interest. Her most famous film is *The Crowd* (1928) which is a heartbreaking and very, very modern story about people chewed up by modern life, work , and family. It's directed by her then husband, King Vidor. It was my favorite silent for a very long time, and many rank it is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Wendy,

Thanks for pointing out this site, He is using my clip of ELLA CINDERS. Other surviving Eleanor Boardman Silents would include:

WINE OF YOUTH (Metro-Goldwyn, 1924) Directed by King Vidor.

PROUD FLESH (MGM, 1925) Directed by Vidor.

THE CIRCLE (MGM, 1925) Directed by Frank Borzage.

I have all three of these. There are a few others, but the titles elude me at the moment. Early talkies SHE GOES TO WAR (1929), mostly a Silent. You also have REDEMPTION (1929) with John Gilbert and Renee Adoree. A few more films might exist, but I am not sure of which ones they might be.

gagman-

Gosh I didn't even realize it was your print... I hope that is ok...??

Do you know any more about Boardman's retirement? Why on earth did she stop acting? Her voice is beautiful and she remained gorgeous.

I knew when my sis sent this to me you would be interested... my first thought was whether you had seen it.

Wendy,

I had read a slightly different version of the Colleen Moore article before. Well, written, but some of the details are slightly off. I sure wish SYNTHETIC SIN and WHY BE GOOD? were both being restored as we speak, but as far as I know they are still stuck in a vault in Europe and are Nitrate only. No Safety-film transfers have been struck yet. Very discouraging. HER WILD OAT at least has been restored, and maybe LILAC TIME too.

It is not my print of ELLA CINDERS. It is Rich's, but those are my musical selections, including the original ELLA CINDERS song. The other thing is this movie is far from complete. A couple reels are lost.

Yes, Eleanor looks lovely. Though the Make-up used for Two-Color Technicolor was very different than for Silents. Hence those Rosey cheeks.

I don't currently have a Google account. Or if I do, don't remember what it is. So I am unable to log in at this time.

Wendy,

I'm trying to get more information, but these planned restorations have been stuck in Limbo for the past 3 or 4 years now. Nitrate won't wait! Let's just hope that these films can still be restored by the times Warner's finally gets to them.

Archived