Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name Your Favorite Film Noir Characters...And Why

> {quote:title=sineast wrote:}{quote}

> 1. Our Lady of the Pigtails: The sweetest nonpareil of all, Vera Clouzot.

> Whether as the frail timid wife of the brutal schoolmaster in Les Diaboliques or the stronger and more down to earth Linda in Le Salaire de la Peur, Vera is pretty in pigtails, well lovely really. She does suffer from bad treatment by the men in her life in both films, but she manages to rise above it, naturally. I would place Mme. Clouzot on a pedestal, but that would still be too low a place for her. Enfin, Vera, toujours Vera.

She really was a lovely person, by all accounts. And it's a shame she didn't get to make more films. I love both Les diaboliques and Le salaire de la peur, naturally.

Frank Grimes: His consistent posting, often in the face of great danger, shows strong character. Or is that a psychosis?

Miss Goddess: The scene where Grimes picks her up hitchhiking and she brutally terrorizes him is classic noir. It's inspired emulative message boards for years.

CineMaven: The Barton Keyes in this sordid tale, pitting one against the other until the whole house of cards comes down. Film scholars cite this character as the driving force of the story.

Mme. Clouzot was such a sweet kid. It is a shame she died at the relatively young

age of forty-six, of a sudden heart attack, much like her character in Les Diaboliques.

One of these days I'll have to get to her third and final film, Les Espions, but the

first two look very good on her filmography. Vera, here's looking at you, kid.

> Mme. Clouzot was such a sweet kid. It is a shame she died at the relatively young age of forty-six, of a sudden heart attack, much like her character in Les Diaboliques.

> One of these days I'll have to get to her third and final film, Les Espions, but the first two look very good on her filmography. Vera, here's looking at you, kid.

I've enjoyed the first two very much. I wonder if Les espions is a noir, too?

From the plot summaries on the net, it sounds like an international spy picture with some

noirish elements and a bit of a tongue in cheek attitude, maybe a bit like Beat the Devil,

but not so consistently satirical. Maybe it's one of those pictures that isn't quite sure what

direction it really wants to go in. Probably not as good as the two others, but there's only

one way to find out. And I like the leading lady anyhow.

You'll probably get it before me, so you can critique it first. Every good director has a few

misfires, so it's understandable. The other two do set a high standard. When Les Diaboliques

was on TCM a few weeks ago, they played it in the 2 a.m. foreign film ghetto time slot. Thanks a bunch, TCM. ;)

> When Les Diaboliques was on TCM a few weeks ago, they played it in the 2 a.m. foreign film ghetto time slot. Thanks a bunch, TCM. ;)

Well, that's the way they do it with pretty much all the foreign-language movies, unless they're doing a tribute to a specific director - and most of the time it'll be Kurosawa or Malle, apparently.

Also, don't be too sure I'll be getting to it any time soon. I have boxes from amazon that I got a week ago that I haven't even opened. :P

Organizize 2.0. TCM does seem to put the foreign films, when they do show them, into

the graveyard time slot. Yes, one can record them and maybe have time to watch later,

but it would be nice to see them a bit earlier. I have an old VHS copy of Les Diaboliques

somewhere around the house, darned if I know where. It's not very good visually, but it's

better than nothing.

Anybody remember the old Home Film Festival company? They were around in the 1980s

and 1990s and had a good selection of tapes via the mail. I looked for them recently on the

net, but it appears they went out of business.

I think I may have bought or rented that VHS version when I was in college... and yes, I do remember those folks, I may even have ordered from them a few times.

Of course, these days it must be very hard to compete with amazon and the other big players. Especially since these humongous retailers can afford to sell at least some titles at a loss, and do that just to attract more customers.

HFF was a nice little business. I usually rented tapes from them three or four

times a month. They were located somewhere in PA. I still have some of their

old catalogs somewhere. Though they may not have had as many selections as

today's giants, they had enough to keep one busy for a long time, with lots of

independent and foreign films. I think the last count that I recall was 8,000

or so titles. No doubt they were no match for the big boys. Too bad, because

it was a pleasant way to get one's movie fix.

Frank Grimes: His consistent posting, often in the face of great danger, shows strong character. Or is that a psychosis?

I'm going with psychosis. He loves the lash of the kittens with a whip.

Miss Goddess: The scene where Grimes picks her up hitchhiking and she brutally terrorizes him is classic noir. It's inspired emulative message boards for years.

She travels by limo and wouldn't get near Grimesy with a ten-foot pole.

CineMaven: The Barton Keyes in this sordid tale, pitting one against the other until the whole house of cards comes down. Film scholars cite this character as the driving force of the story.

Smart as a whip that girl, but she doesn't smoke...cigars.

Ha! Redriver!

Hi stjohnrv---welcome to the boards!

> {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote}

> When I think of film-noir my mind almost instantly flashs to Jack Palance in `Panic in the Streets`` his gritty hard features and his breathless over the top style were perfect in these pot boilers.

I like Panic in the Streets, it's nice to see Widmark as a protagonist, an edgy one, but the good

guy nevertheless.

Jack was terrific, as always. He has a face that's made for black-and-white cinematography.

I'm sure during the life of this thread somebody has mentioned Richard Widmark who had his 1st break in film-noir as the psychopathic killer Tommy Udo in " Kiss of Death". The picture is not that memorable, but Widmark's performance is.

Widmark was also in a rather decent FBI drama a few years later called "The Street with no Name"

Mark Stevens was the ostensible star, but Widmark as usual stole the movie with another psycho killer portrayal.

The Street With No Name is on my list to see. I hope it lands on TCM or maybe I can check if it's on DVD.

Widmark was discussed at length in a recent discussion about Night and the City. His "Harry Fabian" in that movie was quite a con artist.