• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun facts about your favorite stars

HollywoodGolightly

dance6.jpg

Fun facts about Fred Astaire:

* Birth name: Frederic Austerlitz Jr.

* The evaluation of Astaire's first screen test: "Can't act. Can't sing. Balding. Can dance a little."

* The only time he and Gene Kelly ever danced together on screen (other than the compilation 1974 movie, *That's Entertainment* ) was in one routine, titled "The Babbitt and the Bromide" in *Ziegfeld Follies* (1945).

* Appears on the sleeve of The Beatles' "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album.

Some facts about Robert Ryan:

During WW 2 he was a Marine D.I.

The producer of "Tender Comrade" wanted Ryan as Ginger Rogers leading man, But Rogers though he looked to mean looking and was to big. After meeting and talking to him she slipped the producer a note saying "I think this is the Guy' Today that note hangs over the desk of Ryan's son.

Shortly before his death he moved out of the Dakota Apartments in New York where he lived, He leased his apartment to John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

Him and John Wayne did not get along during filming of "Flying Leathernecks" because of politics. But during the making of the "Longest Day" they were working together again. Ryan's wife received calls of bomb threats regarding a radio show he was doing about the John Birch society. He was ready to come home but she told him to stay, Wayne was to irate about the threats he wanted to go home with Ryan and do some **** kicking.Ryan said Wayne was "Sore as Hell about the threats".Even if we differed on politics,he was still a good friend.. Right after he got home him and his wife went out and when they returned they saw a big man standing in the driveway with a rifle. Ryan started to throw the car in reverse, but the man ran up and it was John Wayne, he had been standing guard.

the-marx-brothers.jpg

* All of the daughters of the Marxes have names beginning in the letter "M".

* Harpo's wig was originally red but on film it looked black so from ANIMAL CRACKERS on he sported a blonde wig to make it seem red...and...well you get the idea.

* When gangster Bugsy Segal was murdered, in his pocket was a check from Chico for gambling losses. ("It was probably a good thing he didn't cash it!!")

* YOU BET YOUR LIFE announcer George Fenneman also supplied the voice for that infamous DRAGNET line, "The story you are about to see is true, the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

* Chico played GYPSY LOVE SONG in the Marxes first movie THE COCOANUTS, and in their last LOVE HAPPY.

* Jackie Gleason convinced Groucho to appear in what would be his final film, SKIDOO. For his five days of work he was paid a mere $25,000.00.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> I don't know if anyone ever brought this up in "Lookalikes", but does anyone think that Robert Ryan looked like Ted Williams? Watching Ryan in THE RACKET (great noir) and BEWARE MY LOVELY the other day brought this to mind.

I don't recall having seen anything about this in "Lookalikes", but if someone hasn't done that before, it is probably about time someone did.... ;)

barbarella.jpg

Fun facts about Jane Fonda:

* Birth name: Lady Jayne Seymour Fonda

* Jane now openly admits that she suffered from bulimia from age 13 to age 37. While modeling, she said she lived on cigarettes, coffee, speed, and strawberry yogurt.

* Shortly after her divorce from Ted Turner, she announced she had become a born-again Christian. Speculations are that this may have played a part in their seperation, since Ted Turner has expressed highly critical opinions on religion in general.

DoubleLife19.jpg

Fun facts about Edmond O'Brien:

* His production company, Tiger Productions, came from his childhood nickname, 'Tiger'.

* Was original choice to play newspaper reporter Jackson Bentley in *Lawrence of Arabia* (1962), but health problems forced him to turn down the role, which eventually went to Arthur Kennedy.

* Was cast in *Black Christmas* (1974) as Lt. Kenneth Fuller, but the part was recast with John Saxon because of O'Brien's poor health. He was rumored to be suffering from Alzheimers.

My ex wife worked as a vet's assistant in Santa Monica in the mid 70's and Edmond O'Brien use to bring in his dog and after a few day the vet would tell her to call O'Brien, because he would forget the dog was there. He use to show up and start to apologize to everyone. The vet never charged him for the extra days the dog was there. He said it was not right to make money off someone who couldn.t help the illness..The vet was a cool guy. People would bring in their pets ,mostly dogs, and tell the vet they didn't want the dog any longer, to put them down. He would examine the animal and if it was healthy, he would take the money to put it to sleep and put the animal in what he called the "Dead Head" room.He would not put down a healthy animal because someone didn't want it any longer. Them he would find a home for it.It may have been a little illegal, but the animals benefited from it...

Barrymore,%20Lionel_01.jpg

Fun facts about Lionel Barrymore :D

* Birth name: Lionel Herbert Blythe

* He played Scrooge in "A Christmas Carol" on the radio annually.

* He was one of the very few screen actors in the 1930s, 1940s and early 1950s who had a prolific career despite being in a wheelchair. From 1938, his screen roles were written to accommodate his disability.

kate017.jpg

Fun facts about Katharine Hepburn:

* Walked around the studio in her underwear in the early 1930s when the costume department stole her slacks from her dressing room. She refused to put anything else on until they were returned.

* Was a direct descendant of Britain's King John through one of his illegitimate children. Hepburn played King John's mother, Eleanor of Aquitaine, in *The Lion in Winter* (1968).

* When Cate Blanchett won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for *The Aviator* (2004), Hepburn became the first previous Oscar winner to become an Oscar-winning movie role.

Holly you ask about Edmond O'Briens dog. I spoke to my ex and she said it was a German shepherd called "Shamrock" and he would bring it in for a bath and he'ld end staying anywhere from 5 to 7 days. She said the office would call it "Shamrocks vacation".

Facts about Gary Cooper:

In 1938 while on a trip to Europe he and wife visited Nazi Germany and became the last movie star to visit Germany prior to WW2.

His close friend Bing Crosby named his oldest son after Cooper.

Before the cancer was found to be terminal he was set to play the James Stewart role in :How the West was Won" and also "The Sundowners" and "Ride the High Country".

Couldn't attend the 1953 Academy Awards and ask John Wayne to accept if he won for "High Noon". Ironic considering Wayne's distaste for the film....

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> Holly you ask about Edmond O'Briens dog. I spoke to my ex and she said it was a German shepherd called "Shamrock" and he would bring it in for a bath and he'ld end staying anywhere from 5 to 7 days. She said the office would call it "Shamrocks vacation".

Sounds like a lovely dog, I'll bet Edmond really liked him (I don't know why, but I just have a strong feeling! ;) )

And thanks for the fun facts about Coop - I don't think I knew about the Oscar acceptance thing. Ironic, indeed.

Although I like most all dogs, German Sheps are my favorite, my family has had 4 Sheps over the years, each one replacing the previous dog. They can be raised to be the best companion and protective dogs; and they love to play. I believe Jimmy Stewart had several, and so did Richard Widmark.

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> Although I like most all dogs, German Sheps are my favorite, my family has had 4 Sheps over the years, each one replacing the previous dog. They can be raised to be the best companion and protective dogs; and they love to play. I believe Jimmy Stewart had several, and so did Richard Widmark.

I love German sheps, too - we used to have one when I was a little girl, although to be honest I don't remember him all that well. Not surprised that they were popular among stars like Stewart and Widmark...

Facts about John Frankenheimer: Great TV and Film Director of Such Films as : "Manchurian Candidate" and "Ronin".

Close friend of Robert Kennedy. Drove him to the Ambassador Hotel the night he was assassinated.

Like Sidney Lumet, he started out in Live TV and directed over 150 TV programs before he made his first film.

Although he directed such films as "All Fall Down", "7 Days in May", "The Train" and "Birdman of Alcatraz" he was never nominated for an Academy Award as director.

Died in 2002 of a stroke following spinal surgery..

Charlton%20Heston%20%2750.jpg

Fun facts about Charlton Heston:

* Birth name: John Charles Carter

* His professional name of Charlton Heston came from a combination of his mother's maiden name (Lila Charlton) and his stepfather's last name (Chester Heston).

* Said that *Planet of the Apes* (1968) was the most physically demanding film he had ever done.

* He and Linda Harrison are the only actors to appear in both the 1968 and 2001 versions of *Planet of the Apes*.

P.S. Thahks for the Frankenheimer facts, fred! :)

power-tyrone2.jpg

Fun facts about Tyrone Power:

* He was considered for the role of Ashley Wilkes in *Gone with the Wind* (1939).

* He turned down Burt Lancaster's role in *From Here to Eternity* (1953).

* Was involved in an illicit affair with Judy Garland that ended when he would not leave his wife for her (January-May 1943).

Archived