Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ayresorchids

Contacting TCM

Dear TCMWebAdmin:

I would like to let TCM know that they are not running the best available print of a film. Who exactly would I direct such a letter or e-mail to?

Thanks very much.

If you put the details here, you will have told him. The TCM programmer reads these posts regularly. It's a pretty good bet that he already knows what's out there, however, keep in mind, that just because a better print may exist, it doesn't mean that it's available for TCM to show. That's especially true if the better print is in an archive.

Well... I hope you are right, markfp2. I'll give it a try.

Dear TCM programmer,

I wrote a letter a few years ago to George Feltenstein because I had understood that he and Warner Home Video were working to restore and release The Sky?s the Limit (TSTL). I had discovered that TCM shows a print that is missing some dialogue and has other jumps in it, and I wanted him to be sure to use a different print. The version of the film that was put on a commercial videotape by Turner Home Video (I think in 1999) does not have the missing footage problems.

Last year I co-chaired a conference about Fred Astaire at Oxford University, and my presentation was about TSTL. I wanted to be sure to show the best ?print? of it I could find, so I compared the commercial videotape I have with a version that we recorded from TCM and downloaded to DVD. I was shocked to notice that there were portions of dialogue missing, as well as synch problems with the TCM version (I will concede that those may have had to do with the broadcast). At that time I catalogued the problems, doing the timing from the start of the videotape (which has promos before the movie) and the start of the homemade disc. I'll be happy to send my findings in case they are helpful to you in procuring the more complete print of the movie.

But first I'd like to know exactly to whom I should send this info.

Please TCM programmer, help?

Many thanks,

Chris Bamberger

Chris, that all sounds interesting. You may want to send a letter to TCM's Vice President of Programming, Charlie Tabesh.

Turner Classic Movies

1050 Techwood Drive

Atlanta, GA 30318

Good luck.