Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM doesn't air enough Charles Chaplin

zasupittsfan

zasupittsfan,

Warner's contract with the Chaplin Estate expired in June. The current DVD's will probably be going out of print soon, if they haven't already. Criterion is expected to put out the next versions. Let's hope they release the Full-Length original 1925 version of THE GOLD RUSH newly restored with an Orchestral score. The film hasn't been done justice on DVD yet, or ever close.

The problem with Chaplin is He just didn't make enough feature length Silents during the 1920's. Lloyd and Keaton way surpassed his output. It's any wonder Lloyd topped Chaplin popularity wise most of the decade. Artistically, Harold was right there with Chaplin too in a allot of ways from a cinematic perspective.

Even Lloyd and Keaton because of the tight creative control they maintained over their work really would have to be considered very slow workers in comparison to most other film-makers in Hollywood at the time.One or two films a year was pretty much unheard of from anyone else!

Chaplin is the very best of silent film comedians, let alone one of the top-notch filmmakers of the era. I also quite enjoy the largely forgotten Harry Langdon. TCM can never air enough Chaplin, as he was pretty much perfect from the beginning of his career up through "Modern Times", after which it was arguably hit-and-miss. Harold Lloyd or Buster Keaton doesn?t even compare. I especially find it difficult to relate to Harold Lloyd's brand of comedy. I would gladly take Fatty Arbuckle over Lloyd or Keaton easily.

Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, Roscoe (name he preferred) 'Fatty' Arbuckle,

were ALL Stupendous, in their own Rigths . . .

They ALL Blazed a Trail to Justify an End to the Means, that is to Entertain their Audience

and Public, with their OWN Original Comedic Roles . . .

I would Really find it Difficult to Say, who was Better than the Other.

I happened to have watched "TILLIE'S PUNCTURED ROMANCE" 1914, with Charlie Chaplin,

Mabel Normand and Marie Dressler, last Night on TCM, for the first time.

I had 'Opted' for it on Netflix, but for some reason, Never Received it.

I found this Silent to be Very Entertaining and the Cast, just as Wonderful.

As per Robert Osborn, I was Surprised to find out that Charlie Chaplin did Not like making this film,

though he did enjoy working with Marie Dressler. He did Not like taking Directions from

Mack Sennett and after this Movie, He Directed the Rest of his Future Movies.

Question: Was Mabel Normand a 'Love Interest' of Charlie Chaplin, in Real Life ?

Ugaarte

What set Chaplin apart from his contemporaries was his effective use of pathos. He balanced the comedic with the unbelievably poignant. Keaton and Lloyd, for all their clever concepts, never achieved that. Few filmmakers have. CITY LIGHTS and MODERN TIMES contain some of the most creative and moving moments in film history. If someone had said it would be a long time before we saw such pure sensitivity, they would have been right. We?re still waiting for it.