Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #14: [U]VOTING THREAD[/U].[/B]

Maven - I haven't forgotten - I'll be bringing up the rear as usual late tonight. After I get home from work. In advance, I appreciate and admire all the *hard work* put into running the Challenge, and putting together schedules. (I feel like I'm almost not worthy!) cinemafan

"Again I had a difficult time choosing just one and after all is said and done my vote goes to Lzcutter. I just couldn't refuse spending a day with the one and only Maria Ouspenskaya..."

WHY MONGO!!! I didn't know you had a thing for little Maria. You're two-timing Missy? You spoke so lovingly of Stanwyck during your Fan Guest Programmer stint!

Just joshin' with you man. ;-) I do want to thank you for your vote (which has been duly tallied) and the time you spent looking them all over and finding one that tickled your fancy. You pulled away from your CANDID duties to take a gander over on this thread. Thank you kind sir!!!

Now............what picture is NEXT for you to post? Say, why not Maria Ouspenskaya. ;-)

"Maven - I haven't forgotten - I'll be bringing up the rear as usual late tonight. - cinemafan.

Okay CF. I shall be burning the midnight oil (the voting polls will close at midnight (PST) ) counting and tallying and tallying and counting. I'll be looking for your vote. And you're most worthy C-Fan. :D

And I thank you in advance for taking the time out to peruse the schedules of our industrious challengers.

C u later!

First of all: Thanks to _everyone_ who gives kudos, encouragement and votes to all of us Challenge participants. I feel quite honored to be amongst such knowledgeable and creative classic movie fans. I know that I go through the schedules and have a different perspective from someone who has not been working on one for weeks. It's fun to see what catches someone else's fancy.

Now, it's time to vote. I went through all of the schedules again. It was tough. Every program was great. I did notice that everyone spotlighted a performer (or two or three) who was not a big superstar or, at least, is not well-known today. Much appreciated.

I'll break it down and highlight some of my favorite themes:

*Norma Desmond*

I loved your Gilbo theme, Bardolatry, Gamlet (after Hamlet), spotlights on Sessue Hayakawa (with continuing Japan theme) and Jean Hersholt. The Painter, Painting, Painted theme was terrific.

*LZCutter*

Always clever and compelling themes. The National Parks theme for the White House showed many hours of research. Your spotlights on Maria Ouspenskaya and Victor Maclaglen were really nice tributes to their talents. I, too, adore that Texas redhead, Ann Sheridan, as S.O.M. I really laughed at your DIY theme and Commercial Appeal. I remember most of the TV ads and I found myself adding Virginia Christine (Folger's) to the list. Remember her stellar performance in "Billy the Kid vs. Dracula"? Lastly, the Breakfast Serials theme is a terrific one. Several others also had some wonderful Saturday lineups. TCM Programmer: are you out there?

*Kingrat*

Your programming is so impressive. And this is your first time. I always like any programming of different versions of a film. You picked some good examples. I liked the Fields, Chaplin, Clowns & Acrobats theme (and you kept it going). Joan Bennett is a great choice for S.O.M. "Scarlet Street" is a wonderful Essential. A lot of us love our Noir. I laughed at the inclusion of "King Rat". And much appreciated Margaret Lockwood on the bill.

*Filmlover*

I loved your White House programming. Talk about thinking outside the box! Plan Your Day...the TCM Way was a real chuckle and a marvel at your research. Other themes that I really enjoyed: your S.O.M.: Robert Donat, Jack Holt, You Light Up My Wife, Two's Company, Three's a Shroud, Insomnia Theater, contrast of William Powell and Phillip Marlowe as detectives, and your all-day Saturday programming. You had a great variety there, starting with Blondie Theater.

*Fedya*

You are always so funny, so unique in your programming. I find myself shaking my head and laughing in between. You had a great White House schedule and, then, you did it again with your very amusing breakdown of the U.S. Cabinet. Your weeklong pun themes were hilarious. You may see Sled People but Filmlover sees Insomnia Theater for "Citizen Kane". It's so funny how the same films can be showcased in such strikingly different ways.

*Audrey Forever*

W.R. Burnett-wow, where did you find that? That was a great lineup of films and you taught me about a very gifted writer. I always like hearing about the creative forces behind the films. I really liked your S.O.M. Kathryn Grayson, your Character Actors, and the It Happened theme. Wonderful job. Please enter the next Challenge.

My vote ultimately goes to Filmlover.

Countess, thank you. I am very flattered by your vote. I certainly tried to have fun while at the same time programming interesting themes. As mentioned previously, programming the "Plan Your Day...the TCM Way" was one of the hardest (starting "3:10 to Yuma" at 1:30 in order to try to have them board the train at 3:10 near the end, to name just one thing) but it gives you a kick when everything comes together...and even more so when one is recognized by a fellow scheduler.

Bravo to all six participants in the "White House Challenge". Hopefully it was fun programming a week of TCM.

Some things I enjoyed -

"W. R. Burnett" & "Early Efforts" of 'audreyforever'. the Earth Day line-up of 'countessdelave' and the "giggle" I had from "Gilbo" in the schedule of 'NormaDesmond'.

The schedule parts that I found outstanding include "Start Your Day" (a quintessential 'filmlover' theme) and "Tim Holt's Dad from 'filmlover', 'Fedya's Sunday "White House" line-up and "TCM Is Going To Hell". (Fedya, next time send me your "premiere" list before you post. Two of the titles have played on TCM in the past and I hate for anyone to "waste" premieres unnecessarily.)

But my vote goes to 'lzcutter' for getting "back in the saddle" with the "National Park Service", "Victor McLaglen Night", Sean Flynn (Son Of Errol) in *Son Of Captain Blood* and for the the chance to finally see one of the many "Jungle Adventurers" that had film careers in the 30s (Clyde Beatty / Mr. & Mrs. Johnson / etc.).

But I applaud you all. Take a bow.

Kyle In Hollywood

I have been going over all the schedules for the past few days. This is always such a difficult decision. I want to thank and congratulate everyone who took part. All of the schedules were wonderful.

I have sent my vote in to CineMaven.

A few quick notes that don't go into nearly enough detail about each schedule:

*Audreyforever* - Nice to see the character actors spotlight and I liked the morale boosters night. Nancy Drew is a great serial, like the Renoir double feature.

*Countessdelave* - I was struck by how many of your films I haven't seen. That is always intriguing. Liked "Learn to Kern", and no I haven't seen *Cat Women of the Moon* and would like to find out more about Alice White. Thelma Ritter as SOTM. I would like that.

*Fedya* - I don't know how you come up with all these great running themes. They are wonderful. I loved your White House programming. I would also love to see *Alice in Wonderland.* Also *Fantastic Voyage.* Nice to see Mary Pickford back on Silent Sunday nights with *Sparrows*. I like Charles Boyer too.

*Filmlover* - What a dream Halloween line up! I also liked the "plan your day" idea and the detective night. Great picks for Fosse! Also liked the Blondie films and the Batman serial!

*King Rat* - Joan Bennett as SOTM is a great idea! I would also love for TCM to show *And Then There Were None*. *The Maltese Bippy* ? Ha! Anything with the lovely Carol Lynley makes me take note! I like the Jean Negulesco celebration, the "earlier versions" and Margaret Lockwood.

*Lzcutter* - I really liked "bootless John Wayne" day, commercial appeal, and of course Maria Ouspenskaya. Lots of good noir too. Victor McLaglen was a nice choice. Another great serial choice. Nice underground picks. I also like your premieres. Ann Sheridan as SOTM! Yes!

*Norma Desmond* - Another fine schedule from you! The Gilbo tribute, "Date with the Devil" and the Sessue Hayakawa spotlight. I also liked the "Live like a Queen" choices and your Fosse selections. I like Marion Davies as well. A special mention must go to your choice of short films. Two of them are favorites of mine, and I found your choices interesting.

CineMaven thanks for hosting this challenge. You did a fine job!

Again thanks to all the participants! This was a great challenge and it's so hard to chose just one schedule. I really enjoy reading everyone's ideas. I admire you all for taking up the challenge!

CM,

I've done my civic duty, you've got mail!

Mongo and Kyle:

Thank you both! If it wasn't so late and I wasn't so tired, I'd say more but thank you really says it all!

Hellooooooooooooo Madame Cutter. I picked up my mail, got your vote and will log it in with the others. Thanxxx for participating in this 14th Challenge. Throwing your hat in the ring made folks stand up and take notice.

Thank you! Results before the day's end.

Why if it isn't the Mad Hatted Mad Man himself. MOLO!! I am glad to see your PM and that you were able to tear yourself away from the glorious gorgeous Double G (and all your little Glo-loes) to tell me the schedule that sang to you the most.

I've got that vote. I've written it down. I'm tallying it in. And I send you my thanks (and thanx from all the challengers) for checking out their schedules and picking your choice.

Hope to see you in the Gloria Grahame section of the world. She needs a place to hide from Dix and (apparently) Martha.

Thank you for your participation in the 14th TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE.

"my vote goes to.......drumroll please.......Countess DeLave!" - ButterScotchGreer.

Alrighty then. I've put your vote in the Countess' pile and I want to thank you as well for your contribution to The Challenge. Now you are one of our youngest members here and I know that you tried your hand at creating a brief schedule.

Folks, I'm still sifting, counting and tallying the votes. And I know you're anxious to know who the winner and next Moderator of the TCM Programming Challenge will be. Hold yer horses, it's-a-coming. But take time out to look at what Butterscotchgreer spent the day preparing. Good job Baby T. I see much here that I like. So folks I present to you:

B U T T E R S C O T C H G R E E R (A future challenger??)

THURSDAY, JANUARY 6th, 2011

LORETTA YOUNG TELLS A STORY: BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE:

5:00AM: Taxi! (1932)

Loretta Young, Jimmy Cagney

6:30AM: Zoo in Budapest (1933)

Loretta Young, Gene Raymond

8:00AM: The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (1939)

Loretta Young, Don Ameche

10:00AM: Along Came Jones (1945)

Loretta young, Gary Cooper

11:30AM: Half Angel (1951)

Loretta Young, Joseph Cotton

SOME ROMANCE WITH A LITTLE LAUGHTER:

1:30PM: The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941)

Jimmy Cagney, Bette Davis

3:15PM: My Favorite Wife (1940)

Irene Dunne, Cary Grant

5:00PM: The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947)

Myrna Loy, Cary Grant

6:30PM: Three Guys Named Mike (1951)

Van Johnson, Jane Wyman, Howard Keel, Barry Sullivan

8:15PM: Julia Misbehaves (1948)

Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon, Elizabeth Taylor

10:00PM: Wonder Man (1945)

Danny Kaye, Virginia Mayo, Vera Ellen

11:30PM: Rings on Her Fingers (1942)

Gene Tierney, Henry Fonda

1:00AM: The Girl from Jones Beach (1949)

Ronald Reagan, Virginia Mayo

2:30AM: My Dear Miss Aldrich (1937)

Maureen O? Sullivan, Walter Pidgeon

4:00AM: The Prince and the Showgirl (1957)

Laurence Olivier, Marilyn Monroe

FRIDAY, JANUARY 7th, 2011

A BOXER?S DELIGHT:

6:00AM: Invitation to Happiness (1939)

Fred MacMurray, Irene Dunne

7:30AM: The Life of Jimmy Dolan (1933)

Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Loretta young

9:00AM: Gentleman Jim (1943)

Errol Flynn, Alexis Smith

11:00AM: Right Cross (1950)

June Allyson, Dick Powell, Ricardo Montalbon

GEORGE BURNS AND GRACIE ALLEN?S WEDDING ANNIVERSARY PRESENT:

12:30PM: Honolulu (1939)

Eleanor Powell, Robert Young, Gracie & George

2:00PM: A Damsel in Distress (1937)

Fred Astaire, Joan Fontaine, Gracie & George

4:00PM: Here Comes Cookie (1935)

George Burns, Gracie Allen

5:30PM: Love in Bloom (1935)

George Burns, Gracie Allen

SINGING AND DANCING BLONDIES:

7:00PM: Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend (1949)

Betty Grable, Cesar Romero, Rudy Vallee

9:00PM: Good News (1947)

June Allyson, Peter Lawford

10:30PM: Let?s Dance (1950)

Betty Hutton, Fred Astaire

12:00AM: The Pajama Game (1957)

Doris Day, John Raitt

1:30AM: Belle of New York (1952)

Fred Astaire, Vera Ellen

3:00AM: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)

Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell

4:30AM: Pin-Up Girl (1944)

Betty Grable, John Harvey, Martha Raye

SATURDAY, JANUARY 8th, 2011

IT?S MAGIC!:

6:00AM: Bell, Book, & Candle (1958)

Jimmy Stewart, Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon

8:00AM: I Married a Witch (1942)

Fredric March, Veronica Lake

7:30AM: Xanadu (1980)

Olivia Newton-John, Michael Beck, Gene Kelly

9:00AM: Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971)

Angela Lansbury, David Tomlinson

MURDER MAYHEM:

10:30AM: Anatomy of a Murder (1959)

Jimmy Stewart, Lee Remick

12:00PM: Black Widow (1954)

Ginger Rogers, Van Heflin, Gene Tierney

1:30PM: Manhattan Melodrama (1934)

Myrna Loy, William Powell, Clark Gable

3:30PM: In a Lonely Place (1950)

Gloria Grahame, Humphrey Bogart

5:00PM: Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Joseph Cotton, Teresa Wright

6:30PM: The Letter (1940)

Bette Davis, Herbert Marshall

HEROES/HEROINES OF THE DAY:

8:00PM: High Noon (1952)

Gary Cooper, Grace Kelly

10:30PM: Mrs. Miniver (1942)

Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon

12:00AM: Arabesque (1966)

Gregory Peck, Sophia Loren

2:00AM: Rooster Cogburn (1975)

John Wayne, Katharine Hepburn

3:30AM: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Vera Miles, Lee Marvin

GASP!! Cinie-T! i didnt know you would post up my list so soon.....but thank you!

I am very excited to see who wins this little challenge....please noone be upset by my list, its purely for fun! i didnt know it would take so looooong to make, but it was definitely worth it! i admire you challengers who took the time and creativity to make your lists...

Hi Everyone.

I must give thanks:

I thank all the CONTRIBUTORS to the 14th TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE for the imaginative, thoughtfull work you put into preparing your schedules. This is not an easy task. (If it were easy...

then EVERYBODY would do it). I can appreciate what you went through, having sat for days and weeks myself. You folks gave our new president and our newly elected officials MUCH food for thought and if they paid attention to even ONE of your schedules, I'm thinking our country would be a better place.

I thank all of YOU WHO VOTED. You looked at schedules of friends and posters whose opinions you respect and whose writings you enjoy. It could not have been easy for you to decide among "Stars Of the Month" some of whom included: Thelma Ritter or Marian Davies or Ann Sheridan or Boyer or Robert Donat, OR themes like Hayakawa or National Parks or the Hardys or a Bootless Duke. Who could resist spending time with Ann-Margret in "Bye Bye Birdie" or Raquel Welch run-

ning from dinosaurs. Obarama was delicious as was the films accom-panying President Lincoln's quotes...just to remind our new president of the ideals and values that made our country great. Who wouldn't want to dance with Fred Astaire...to Jerome Kern's music, or spend a lovely quiet evening with the lovely quiet Teresa Wright?

And as for the "fled" "red" "debt" people theme...awe-inspiring.

I also want to thank those that guided me along this difficult process of hosting and my sincere heartfelt thanks to all those who privately encouraged me through it all.

As host, I was entitled to one vote had there been a tie. I'll tell you who my vote would have gone to, in a second. For now, this is how the voting played out:

NORMA DESMOND: 1 Vote

AUDREYFOREVER: 2 Votes

FEDYA: 2 Votes

COUNTESSDELAVE: 3 Votes

FILMLOVER: 3 Votes

KING RAT: 3 Votes

But the Programming Schedule that received the most votes was:

LZCUTTER: 10 Votes.

CONGRATULATIONS LZCUTTER!!

You have won the 14th TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE and with that, become the Moderator of the 15th TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE. A job very well done, Madame Cutter.

Thank you all.

Oh, my vote? Come on...you know I can't really tell you that. :-) ;-) :D

Sincerely,

CineMaven.

Now...how 'bout that acceptance speech Madame Cutter.

Congrats to Ms Cutter (PS.. Blood Alley!! Ha.. from YOUR keyboard to TCM'S EARS!! ha) :-) Very good work, ma'am. :-)

And congrats to ALL you daring "schedule makers" too. Just participating at all makes you winners in my book. You are way out of my league!! Good work, everybody.

And thanks again to the "Hostess with the Most-est!! Great job, Miss Maven! :-)

*Great job, 'butterscotchgreer' (where'd the name come from?)*

*Good luck next time!*

Hello!

Thanks! i dont want to interrupt Lynn's big success right now, so i wont comment further on my list.

is my user name what you are commenting on? if so, then i got it from loving Greer Garson and combining her first name with an article i read about her when she was on the cover of Time magazine....they said she was a Goddess draped in butterscotch...plus i just grew up eating and loving butterscotch candies in the first place with my daddy, so i put the two words together and got my name....heehee! ;)

CONGRATS to Lynn!!!! Your list was very creative and had such a beautiful arrangement dahling! You well deserve this honor my friend!

Archived