Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What 10 films define Britain

skimpole

skimpole, I have to mention some classics, because they are an important part of British film history and the industry reflects so much a part of what Britain was like:

Hamlet (Olivier)

The 39 Steps

A Matter of Life and Death

The Red Shoes

Great Expectations

Brief Encounter

The Third Man

Alfie

In Which We Serve

Lawrence of Arabia

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Dr. No

Zulu

Sorry, had to go over 10. There are so MANY more that should be included, even films like the Carry On series.

Some of my Favorites British Movies are:

To Sir with Love

Georgy Girl

A Hard Days Night

Pride & Prejudice

David Copperfield

A Night to Remember

. . . And Many, Many More that I Just

Can't think of the Names, @ the Moment ....

One Particular Movie, which the Name Evades me,

takes Place in the late 40's or early 50's @ a Train Station.

It's about a Woman & a Doctor who meet, by accident,

@ this Train Station, enroute to their separate homes.

In Short, they have an Endearing & Sweet Romance,

but are 'Duty-Bound' to their Trusting Families . . .

> {quote:title=ugaarte wrote:}{quote}

>

> One Particular Movie, which the Name Evades me,

> takes Place in the late 40's or early 50's @ a Train Station.

> It's about a Woman & a Doctor who meet, by accident,

> @ this Train Station, enroute to their separate homes.

> In Short, they have an Endearing & Sweet Romance,

> but are 'Duty-Bound' to their Trusting Families . . .

That was Brief Encounter.

Alfie (1966)

Chariots of Fire

From Russia with Love

The Ipcress File

The Lavender Hill Mob

The Man Who Would Be King

A Passage to India

My Fair Lady

Scrooge (1951)

Zulu

(For TV series: The Avengers, Danger Man/Secret Agent, The Prisoner, Keeping up Appearances, Fawlty Towers)

Edited by: binkyHI on Nov 6, 2009 8:23 PM

Thanks, Filmlover.

Do you Want to Hear Something Amusing ?

At First, I thought that your Response

was in Reference to my List being too Short.

But looking over your Response Again,

I Realized 'Brief Encounter' IS the Name of the Movie.

Thanks Again,

Ugaarte

I am going to name what came to mind-

Green is for Danger

39 Steps

The Lady Vanishes

Hope and Glory

Brief Encounter

Ealing films-and later Hammer films

It's been a long week-That's all that came to mind but I know that i will be flooded with films when I press send....

• 1 month later...

1. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp--perhaps the finest movie ever made about being a soldier. To quote Dave Kehr at the Chicago Reader: "It's almost impossible to define this 1943 masterpiece by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger. It was ostensibly based on a cartoon series that satirized the British military class, yet its attitude toward the main character is one of affection, respect, and sometimes awe; it was intended as a propaganda film, yet Churchill wanted to suppress it; it has the romantic sweep of a grand love story, yet none of the romantic relationships it presents is truly fulfilled, and the film's most lasting bond is one between the British colonel (Roger Livesey) and his Prussian counterpart (Anton Walbrook). Pressburger's screenplay covers 40 years in the colonel's life through a series of brilliantly constructed flashbacks, compressions, and ellipses; Powell's camera renders the winding plot through boldly deployed Technicolor hues and camera movements of exquisite design and expressivity. It stands as very possibly the finest film ever made in Britain."

2. Lawrence of Arabia--If empire is a defining element of Britain, this may be the finest movie about it. T.E. Lawrence thinks that by sheer will he can think himself into another culture, and serve both it and his own country. There is no problem with his strength, but he cannot do, no one can.

3. Brief Encounter--Working class viewers supposedly laughed when they saw this romance, and Francois Truffaut concluded that Englishmen didn't know how to make movies. But as an expression of British middle class ideology, this is in a class of its own.

4. Yellow Submarine-Behind the prosaic and the realistic, there is a rich lode of the anarchic, utopian and wildy imaginative in the British imagination (and maybe all other imaginations), and no presents this better than this movie.

5. Distant Voices, Still Lives--One of the most important movies of the eighties.

6. Quadrophenia--The Sixties, British version, as seen through one working class boy, and obliquely aided by the music of The Who.

7. Monty Python and the Holy Grail--high culture and national myth meet anarchic comedy and gets completely routed.

8. Great Expectations--much of the British film industry is devoted to films of British literature. The results are often tasteful and cinematically uninteresting. This is the best film of a great work of British literature.

9. Kes--The great working class movie, with the great working class accents.

10. The Crying Game

There are some fine films on your list I particularly agree with you on the "LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP" and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA"

some others i would suggest:

I'm Okay Jack

The Dambusters

Battle of Britian

Young Churchill

Lord Jim

Kind Hearts and Coronets

any film featuring Elizabeth the first

Edited by: stjohnrv on Dec 14, 2009 9:31 PM

Edited by: stjohnrv on Dec 14, 2009 9:31 PM