Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am so glad that TCM ran the movies of Abbott and Costello last night! I grew up watching them on Sunday mornings and became a huge fan. I have almost all of their movies and watch them over and over again. Hurray TCM!

I hope there are many others out there who feel the same as I do and I hope to see more of them on TCM in the future.

Yes...it was a pleasant departure from drama's and westerns. I had a lot of laughs last night especially from Lou Costello.

I would imagine that TCM will show some of duo's other films in the future, hopefully "Hold That Ghost" which is hilarious.

Mongo

The evening with Abbott and Costello was a wonderful experience for me. I remember them from childhood, too, but I saw them in the movie theatre with a house-full of laughing kids and adults, and didn't have to wait to see them on TV.

For those of you who are very familiar with them, can anyone give me the title of the movie if I give you this very scant amount of information to go by? I remember an Abbott & Costello movie where Lou was in a dungeon with a deranged man who kept saying something about "Cocomo" (sp?), and a line that began, "Slowly he turned around....", and this is one I'd love to see again (delicious nostalgia). Who knows, I might even be thinking of two different movies. ;)ML

Wow Classics, I thought I had seen them all. I don't remember seeing that scene in any of their movies. I DO, however, remember a routine that Lou does where he says "Slowly, I turn", but I'm not sure where that is from either.

Hopefully someone else has a better memory than me.

BTW, it is great to know that there are others who enjoy Bud and Lou as much as I do. Thanks TCM fans.

I also love the Bowery Boys and though I have seen them from time to time on TCM, I'd love to see more.

No, unfortunatly that's not it. The Bagel Street Routine was Lou looking for the Susquahanna(sp?)Hat Company. Which was in fact extremely funny. It had to be in one of their movies like Who Done It? But I don't think it was that one.

thanks tcm for Abbott& Costello nite it was great!....

Can we have once a month comedy nite with the likes of

Red Skelton, bob hope, Judy Canova,lucille ball, Laurel

& Hardy, Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton,Max brothers, and

the three stooges, Charlie Chaplin. Good idea?....

Just a suggestion for the future thanks again lolite.

I'd also like to throw in my 2 cents and say how happy I was to see Bud and Lou on TCM. I used to watch their movies with my grandmother on Sunday afternoons on channel 11 here in NY. Unfortuntely we'll never see movies like this on network TV again, but thank you to TCM for showing them.

And just so you guys know, all of their films have been released onto DVD in three volumes of double disc sets - their titled "The Best of Abbott and Costello" and two of the sets are out already with a third one coming at the beginning of August. They run about twenty dollars a set, and I even saw them for sale in Target!

Just a quick clarification to moviejoe79's comment about the DVDs...

These DVD sets are from Universal, and only feature the comedy team's Universal films (excl. IT AIN'T HAY, which remains in legal entanglements with the Damon Runyon estate, over home video licensing rights).

Hopefully, Warner Bros. will follow with their own A&C DVD collection soon (RIO RITA, LOST IN A HAREM, A&C IN HOLLYWOOD, THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH, DANCE WITH ME HENRY, JACK AND THE BEANSTALK, A&C MEET CAPTAIN KIDD)!

Let all the Abbott and Costello fans rejoice--on Monday, you can buy Volume 3 of the "Best of Abbott and Costello"! This two-disc set, which is selling for just $17.00 on Amazon, includes some true A&C gems--especially "A&C Meet the Killer" and their ultimate hit, "A&C Meet Frankenstein." A side note: Deanna Durbin's glittering legacy will FINALLY get the DVD treatment on Tuesday with the first volume of 4-6 of her classic hits on two discs. My two favorites--"Nice Girl?" and "His Butler's Sister"--aren't on this one but the others here are great.

beastooge - you're right about the films that they made for other studios. I always think of them as "Universal" stars since the movies of theirs that I love were all made at that studio. Thanks for clarifying.

And as patypancake said, tomorrow (Aug 3) is when you can buy Vol. 3 of "The Best of A&C" and Best Buy's weekly flyer has it advertised at $16! which is a steal for the amount of movies that you get on both discs. Especially their great horror collaborations with Boris Karloff included.

Actually Boris Karloff was only in one movie with the boys now that I think of it - which was "Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer" (Boris Karloff) - in "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" I think it was Glenn Strange who played the monster. But you still have Bela Lugosi doing Dracula and Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolfman - it's perhaps their best film. Universal was really using their brains when they decided to pair their best monsters with their best comedians - the result was pure magic.

• 7 months later...

Years ago I heard that the drowning death of Lou Costello's one-year-old boy in 1942 was not an accident, but a mob hit because Costello owed large gambling debts. The child reportedly climbed out of his playpen and fell into the swimming pool. Does anyone know the true story? Thanks.

As a fan of Abbott & Costello for many years I have never heard or read anything that was related to a mob hit concerning the child. The youngster was active and strong for his age and broke out of the playpen and unfortunately drowned in the pool which was tragic.

Mongo