Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
aminahyaquin

ATLAS FILM CORP (silent movie maker) any info on films still extant?

My great aunt was an actress for this company which had studios in Newton, Massachusetts. I would like to find a film in which she had a role, no matter how small, if such is still extant...

I know of an Atlas Film Company that was in business during the early part of the 20th Century. The company didn't last long and as far as I know there are no films to have managed to survive. Your best bet is to contact the UCLA Film Library or the American Film Institute. They might have the necessary information you need. If you can give me a title of a film she was in, I might be able to find it in my records and then give you some general information.

An elderly friend (who has since passed away) told me that his mother had worked in one of the Atlas Film productions. He lived in Newton within a mile of where the studio was located. He told me that in 1950 he met a director who had worked at the studio who told him that Stan Laurel had made films there. This is still unconfirmed beyond this one statement.

Thank you for this information. I did find a land dispute on record that indicates that the Atlas Film Corp was still functioning into the late 1930s at least.i believe there was a french movie museum that collected films, i often wondere if they had any of hers.

The family lore did not go into specifics and though my great aunt died at 104 still sharp as a tack,we were not in touch about this subject.

She did however many many years ago give me her film making cosmetic kit, with greasepaint rouge and et al, which i still have more or less intact. It is stamped with the name of the company.She used her real name as an actress, and it has her first intials and last name Perkins written in by the wardrobe people, i guess.

In the kit itself, a large tin box, the smell of the grease paint is till strong and pungent after almost a hundred years. I "recycled" the lipstick and the rouge in the early 80s., but the rouge container is still part of the kit. and somewhere i may find the lipstick container that matches.brushes and pads still there too.

i am very interested in exploring this. my aunt has always been a kindred spirit.

Thank you for your comments and help thus far. Atlas Film Corp has 43 titles listed in the American Film Insitute archives, all from 1910.

My great Aunt would have been acting in the years between 1915 and 1920, according to my father who said that she acted prior to attending college, but he is not certain what years. he believes she was an actres for some perof the period between 1916 and 1919. Dad say her surviving children may know the film titles.

any additional info greatly welcomed

THE UCLA folks, in particular Mark Q., astounded me with extremely timely and generous offers of assistance, and sincere interest.

I am most grateful to the folks who replied thus far for their sterling help.

aminahyaquin wrote:

> THE UCLA folks, in particular Mark Q., astounded me with extremely timely and generous offers of assistance, and sincere interest.

> I am most grateful to the folks who replied thus far for their sterling help.

I was glad to aid you aminahyaquin . . . I figured UCLA would be the place to go! Good Luck in your quest . . .

MP.

aminahyaquin:

Please do keep us posted with whatever you're able to learn about Atlas Film Corp. from UCLA or anywhere else.

I'm especially interested in learning more, as I live nearby, and having had my good old friend Norman tell me about his mother working there. Also, the Stan Laurel connection certainly should be looked into (see my earlier post).

i am afraid i am a little slow on this. gosh, where did this month go?

alrighty then, will do all i can to find more info and share as i go along