Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Prime time grooviness on TCM!!! :)

markbeckuaf

You better be sticking around to visit *The Garden Of The Moon* after *Hollywood Hotel*. And set the dvr/vcr/tivo or what have you to preserve a copy of "The Girlfriend Of The Whirling Dervish". Mark my words, there will come a day when you will wish you could hear that song one more time.

To make an honest rupee

She steps out to make a lot of whoopee

Kyle In Hollywood

*To make an honest rupee*

*She steps out to make a lot of whoopee*

Chief,

I have loved that song since I first heard it over thirty five years ago on the Warner Brothers Anniversary LP set that was issued. Songs and sound bites from some of the best loved and some of the most obscure WBros films graced that first set.

I thought I knew a lot about films and famous lines, etc but that set taught me, that back then, I was a novice. Films I had never heard of or seen were featured on that first set. When I came to LA a few years later, I brought those albums with me, determined to see the films that I now knew dialogue and music from.

A separate set was done for film scores of famous WBros films a year later, as I recall.

Long before I saw *Garden on the Moon* (what a great name for a nightclub, btw) on TCM a year or so ago, I knew that song.

I still have those both those album sets.

How I wish WBros would release those Anniversary LPs on CD. They are truly great time capsules.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

>

> I have loved that song since I first heard it over thirty five years ago on the Warner Brothers Anniversary LP set that was issued. Songs and sound bites from some of the best loved and some of the most obscure WBros films graced that first set.

> I still have those both those album sets.

>

> How I wish WBros would release those Anniversary LPs on CD. They are truly great time capsules.

I actually have two sets of those albums. Got them when they came out, then while helping a friend move several years ago he gave me some boxes of records he didn't want any more. And there they were again.

(I'm assuming you mean the LP's that came in a big silver box...)

*(I'm assuming you mean the LP's that came in a big silver box...)*

Yes, there were two separate sets.

There was a silver box set of three albums that were mostly famous dialog scenes (with some music) from Warner Bros. films.

And there was a separate set silver box set of three albums of famous musical numbers and music cues from Warner Brothers films.

Both sets had great booklets with them.

I didn't stay for Garden of the Moon (now I wish I had--I love "Girlfriend of a Whirling Dervish") but I get a big kick out of the opening number of *Hollywood Hotel* and especially Ziggy Ellman (isn't that his name?) The whole movie is just silly but I like the production numbers.

Yes Iz, I worked on both sets and the other was the dialogue from Warner's. I learned a whole lot also while I was working on them in 1972 & 73. Just having carte blanch at Warners was a dream come true for a film buff like I've been my whole life. I look back on those days at the studio and working with some terrific people who had been there in the 40's and listening to their stories.It was one of the greatest jobs { if not the greatest } I ever had. So glad you still the LP's like I do. Yes it would be great if they were released on CD......

Thanks for that photo Kyle. I was just given a linen Hollywood postcard book of the 30's with a photo of the hotel in it. I wondered if it was still standing?

Poor MrTiki had to sit through Hollywood Hotel with me as a "Depression era" lesson of film. There were several famous people in bit parts; Ronald Reagan, Susan Hayward and even Sonny Bupp as well as real life musical legends as Gene Krupa & Lionel Hampton (who WAS that piano player?)

I was delighted at how tickled he was with Johnny Davis's effusively gay performances and surprised he laughed several times at goofy Hugh Herbert.

Herbert was born in Binghamton (the city I work for) and the inspiration for Daffy Duck's _behaviour_. Daffy Duck's _voice_ was the animator's jab at making fun of boss Leon Schlesinger. They cringed when Schlesinger first screened the charactor...and at the closing he said, "Jethuth Critht, that'th a funny voith! Where'd you get that voith?"

*"Thanks for that photo Kyle. I was just given a linen Hollywood postcard book of the 30's with a photo of the hotel in it. I wondered if it was still standing?"* - TikiSoo

You're most welcome.

No. Hollywood Hotel is long gone. I don't know for certain when it was torn down but I do know three other buildings have sat on that corner since the Hotel was there. When I moved to the neighborhood that corner held a sixties-era office building (and an underground parking lot). That was all torn down to build the "Hollywood And Highland" complex including the subway station and the Kodak Theater.

Here's another photo showing the Hotel's place on Hollywood Blvd. just up the street from the Chinese Theater in the block with all the trees in front. I believe this photo was taken from the roof or a window of the Roosevelt Hotel.

4096561873_e2b174e6f5_o.jpg

Kyle (and my apt. bldg. is in the photo too!) In Hollywood

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> "Kyle, my main man, I'm definitely grooving to GARDEN OF THE MOON!!!

> I'm with TCM all evening long!!!" :)

>

> Mark, didja have any thoughts on Margaret Lindsay in that film? I've always enjoyed her performances.

Oh yes, I always dig Margaret Lindsay!!! She was great in this film, as she always is!