Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[u]MY[/U] LITTLE MARGIE: MARGARET LINDSAY ALERT!!

CineMaven

"Picture-pretty brunette Margaret Lindsay was one of a number of pleasant, sweet-natured ing?nues who could do no wrong in 1930s stylish pictures. Such altruistic love interests were often overlooked in pictures that were carried by the flashy histrionics of a jaunty James Cagney or temperamental Bette Davis, both of whom she supported in several films. Ergo, while she was a lovely distraction and a highly capable talent, Margaret failed to ignite and command the attention of a truer star..."

This is what IMDB says about her.

Oh yes there was Stanwyck and Bette and Joan and Harlow and Kate and Blondell and Ann and Norma and Kay and Lombard and Myrna and Irene and Frances and Garbo and many many others of the 1930's. But for me...it's MARGARET LINDSAY all the way. I'll drop anything for a Margaret Lindsay film.

Okay okay, she might not have had the comic timing or fiery temperament. But with her cool looks, competent demeanor and great voice I thought she was swell. She was one of those great stalwart actresses of the 1930's and I love her in films. She'll be on tonite at 10:00PM:

GARDEN OF THE MOON (1938)

A nightclub owner and a bandleader compete for the lead singer's heart. Cast: Pat O'Brien, Margaret Lindsay, John Payne. Dir: Busby Berkeley. BW-94 mins, TV-G.

Can you do an old classic film buff a favor? If you see one of her movies is coming on TCM, wouldja drop a line here?

:D Thanx! ;-)

Hi there. I have never seen "THE HOUSE OF THE SEVEN GABLES" but that is on my must-see list b'cuz I've read she gave a great performance. Check out these three folks from imdb. I've got to find the film and check her out.

Why do some make it...and others don't. I'd like to think that it wasn't for a lack of talent...but for a plethora of the very talented. I enjoyed her in last night's fluff of "Garden of the Moon" and am always on the look-out for her, whether her part is big or small. In fact, I jumped up when I saw her in one scene in Doris Day's "Please Don't Eat the Daisies."

Check out IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032610/usercomments : (Even if they don't get the name right it says more about the poster than about Lindsay). Anyway, count me a fan! And thanx for the suggestion. :D

Author: Red7Eric from Washington, DC

"Some of the acting (Margaret Lindsay as Hepzibah, for example) is so brilliant, it makes you want to cry. The scenes that depict Phoebe's arrival to Seven Gables (Chapter 2 in the book, almost halfway through the film) are incredibly well acted. Other moments in the film are so badly and broadly acted, it's laughable. At the scene of the first murder, the camera actually does a quick pan to Margaret Lindsay in the doorway, biting her knuckle. Oy gevalt."

Author: tsmith-22 from Brooklyn, New York

"I didn't notice the knuckle-biting faux pas noticed by the last commentator, but agree with him that the acting is very well done. Margaret Lockwood is outstanding!"

Author: fguerras from United States:

"I was absolutely knocked out by Margaret Lindsay's (NOT Lockwood !!!) bravura performance in this film. It is inconceivable that she wasn't nominated, but 1940 was one of the most competitive Best Actress years ever. She ran the gamut from lovely young girl to pinched spinster. Her range was worthy of Bette Davis (with whom she co-starred many times). I loved the film itself also, and was inspired to read the book, which I loved as well. Miss Lindsay should have received more comment from students of good acting in all these years since the film. She definitely gave one of the finest performances I have ever seen by an actress in the movies, and I'm 63 !"

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. She might have some fans out there besides me. See MARGARET LINDSAY work with the great Humphrey Bogart today:

3:15PM ISLE OF FURY (1936)

A flyer sacrifices everything to open a transpacific airline. Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Margaret Lindsay, Donald Woods. Dir: Frank McDonald. BW-60 mins, TV-G.

Margaret Lindsay, Joan Blondell, Bette Davis, Ann Sheridan and Bette Davis are among the 1930's actresses who worked opposite Humphrey Bogart in today's start of a month-long tribute to the legendary actor.

I'm always fascinated by TCM showing their Star of the Month, becuz you get to see the depth and breadth of a star's career in one fell swoop. It'd be even more fun if the films were screened strictly chronological to really see their growth.

But this'll do TCM. This'll do.

She looked smashing today in her pert hat with her flashing eyes.

I didn't get to watch the whole movie, but I just loved her smart line readings and her lovely voice. At one point, she was telling the very boring Donald Woods something (I can't say what, just in case you haven't watched it yet) very earnestly. He was supposed to be broken up over it but registered no emotion at all. How she acted that scene all by herself, I do not know, but she did it, and she came off looking great.

She looks great in closeup. I cannot for the life of me figure out why she didn't do more lead roles.

Photobucket

?She looked smashing today in her pert hat with her flashing eyes...? - << JackFavell >>.

Webster defines: STUN:

* knock unconscious or into a dazed or semiconscious state

* to astonish or shock (someone) so that they are temporarily unable to react

What a stunning photo you posted. Thank you.

I cannot explain what it is about Margaret Lindsay that garners my attention...but she does. I watched ?Isle of Fury? yesterday afternoon fairly horrified at this hoary old tale. I was shocked to see Bogie with that mustache (now that is something Bronxie can shave off of him and leave Stevie Cochran's hairy manly chest alone). And then the story seemed like something out of D.W.Griffith?s day. Donald Woods was handsome with his fake British accent. But the eyeliner he wore made me think he was channeling the 1920?s. And again, that story...a triangle that?s not even consummated with a kiss. Sheesh!!! This isle sure had no fury.

But then there was Margaret Lindsay.

Now her hair was a little too tight...it made me wonder: ?are hey trying to play down her looks?? According to the story she was born and raised on those islands. I didn?t expect her to break out into a sarong a la Lamour but I?m digressing anyway. Margaret Lindsay is so unmannered with no affectations. Her acting style seems so modern. Yes, modern...and this was a movie made seventy-three years ago. She has a very conversa-tional tone. She just talks. She?s not emoting all over the place. Perhaps he was just too good for the material she was mostly given. And the voice folks. The voice. Listen to me when I tell ya...there?s something about a voice. (Think about those actors you like: George Sanders, James Mason, Claire Trevor, Vincent Price, Basil Rathbone). Hers is not shrill or grating. It?s a soothing dulcet tone that has authority...she?s not coquettish. Boys, she?ll look you straight in the eye and tell you what?s what.

The tale was laughable until it tricked me!! The movie redeemed itself with a twist this ol? Maven did NOT see coming. I had to say out loud to no one, ?you got me!!

A few days ago I was watching ?Please Don?t Eat the Daisies? and there she was in the scene where she?s hosting a theatre party. Same voice ( a bit deeper ) and same easy breezy toss of a line.

Jaxxxson, you write: ? I cannot for the life of me figure out why she didn't do more lead roles.?

I cannot either.

Some thoughts about why Margaret Lindsay never became a big star:

She would have been a natural to play the pre-Code kind of woman, but things had changed. According to William Mann's BEHIND THE SCREEN, she was fairly open about her interest in other women, which showed, above everything else, that she wasn't playing the game the way her bosses would have liked.

Setting that aside, she didn't find the kind of role that says, "Ah, this is how the public wants to see her," or the actor who was an ideal partner for her, unlike Myrna Loy in THE THIN MAN. Jean Arthur found a director, Frank Capra, who figured out how best to present her; Lindsay did not. She may have been at the wrong studio, too. Couldn't she have handled Carole Lombard/Rosalind Russell roles in screwball comedy? It would appear that WB knew how to use actresses like Joan Blondell and Ann Sheridan who suggested working class or lower middle class, but not Lindsay who suggests a more privileged background.

In real life, or just in the movies??? ;-) I believe there's a thread around here somewhere on our favorite brunettes. Take a gander.

HEY RANDY...long time no read. Good to see you around...and on my l'il ol thread too. (Pssst! Whaddya think of Claire Trevor?)

Oh Randy, I forgot to tell you one more thing...

You must head over to the Film Noir Forum>Film Noir Gangster > Walk On The Noir Side. There was a wonderful write-up by JackFavell on a film called The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry." You'll see some talk of Ella Raines within that post. (11/27/2009 @ 10:12PM). I mean, as long as you're here...

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=147635&start=75&tstart=0

It's my favorite.

I can't help thinking that those roles assayed by Lola Page in the Bogie movies this morning should have been Margaret's. However, she was probably too big a star at this point to go back to those types of roles. I guess I just wish she had made more films.

Claire Trevor is the coolest. I am receiving two films of hers on dvd for my christmas gift exchange with my brother. I love the sound of Claire's voice. I am unhappy when she gets shot at the end of some of her crime films. A great talent; just saw Claire in Borderline with Fred MacMurray.

On another note, i do appreciate intelligent brunettes in real life as well as film. To my dismay, i usually end up with a blonde girlfriend as our personalities click right away. And there's no point in throwing away good chemistry. Oh the hardships i have to endure...

• 1 month later...