Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are the greatest movies of the decade?

skimpole

We're approaching the end of the decade, roundups are already appearing in newspapers and blogs, yes it's time for the greatest movies of the decade!

Here are my top three:

The Pianist

Spirited Away

Russian Ark.

Later, I'll give you numbers four to ten.

And, please, no emails about the decade ending December 31, 2010.

I never understand the use of the words "best" or "greatest". I assume you mean favorite. Off the top of my head, here's my top 10 favorites in no particular order.

Femme Fatale

Ratatouille

Best in Show

Jeepers Creepers

Zodiac

The Village

National Treasure

Up

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Spider-Man

Ah, I love list making. Let the fun begin! :)

By the way, nice list, Baker! Hope you don't mind that I copied a few of yours. We seem to have mutual favorites.

1- Batman Begins (Don't ever let nobody tell you The Dark Knight is better.)

2- No Country For Old Men

3- O Brother, Where Art Thou (I do love the Coen Bros.)

4- The Pianist

5- A Beautiful Mind

6- The Prestige

7- Gladiator

8- Superman Returns (Shun me now.)

9- Pride and Prejudice (Yeah, yeah, I need a romance in here...)

10- Memoirs of a Geisha

Isn't "greatest movies of this decade" an oxymoron? Grump, grump, grump. Perhaps Brokeback Mountain qualifies. Perhaps Milk. There must be a few others. The Dreamlife of Angels was late 90s.

I'm apparently the only person in the galaxy who hated Batman Begins--long, slow, and pretentious, Dirty Harry pretending to be Dostoevsky. Michael Clayton is agonizing for those familiar with the process of civil litigation. If you can accept Michael Clayton as a fantasy with no relation to actual law firms or legal systems, perhaps it's not too bad.

But you're going cardinal. I'm going ordinal.

Just as the Millenium ended December 31st, 2000, not December 31, 1999.

There was no year 0 A.D. The year after 1 B.C. is 1 A.D. Completion of 1 full year is Dec.31st, 1 A.D. Ten years in a decade...so 1 A.D, 2 AD, etc. until you reach 10 A.D. 1991-2000. 2001-2010.

Yes, you can call 2000-2009 the 2000s, and 2010-2019 the '10s...and a decade could actually be any ten years. in 2012, it will be a decade since 2002. But since the question was what are the greatest movies of the decade, I am going with 2001-2010.

Edited by: filmlover on Nov 16, 2009 5:20 PM (almost the end of 9 years of the decade)

So I'll add my choices at the end of next year.

Some favorites in no particular order...

A History of Violence (2005)

High Fidelity (2000)

Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 (2003-04)

Ratatouille (2007)

Man on a Wire (2008)

Almost Famous (2000)

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

Up (2009)

Mulholland Drive (2001)

There Will Be Blood (2007)

No Country For Old Men (2007)

Wall*E (2008)

Inland Empire (2006)

The Wrestler (2008)

The Hurt Locker (2009)

Zodiac (2007)

Sideways (2004)

Synecdoche, New York (2008)

The Lives of Others (2006)

Lost in Translation (2003)

I agree with filmlover: the year 2000 was actually the last year of the 20th century. the new decade doesn't really start until the 01, 11,21, etc. But its a minor point. I haven't seen many movies of recent years, so until they are 30 years old, I really can't comment.

I've been postponing my reply because I always forget stuff. I'll probably omit some really good movies. Then again...it's been a painfully weak decade. I, also like SPIDER-MAN. Yes, it's just light adventure. But it's presented with impressive expertise, and it's a great example of visual storytelling. Likewise SIGNS is a mere horror film. But it's flat-out terrifying, and as thrilling as an amusement park ride. There have been serious films too. MILK just may be the decade's best. Had it not been for the oscar nod, it would never have played my conservative hometown. I like the clever STRANGER THAN FICTION, but I don't want to give it too much credit. And I recently rented one called MARRIED LIFE. Well written relationship drama that never insults its audience.

Undoubtedly, there are some fine movies I haven't seen. But this is the closest I can come to a representative list.

Great films come from every era. Some that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

*Oldboy (2003)*

*Joyeux Noel (2005)*

*Jan Dara (2001)*

*Downfall (2004)*

*Blind Spot (2002)*

*Dark Days (2000)*

*Death Proof (2007)*

*Thriller in Manila (2009)*

*Uprising (2001)*

*Last Orders (2001)*

*Wendy and Lucy (2008)*

*The Wrestler (2009)*

*Cache (2005)*

*Sexy Beast (2001)*

*Coffee and Cigarettes (2001)*

*The Ninth Day (2004)*

*Flowers for Algernon (2008)*

*Momento (2002)*

Thanks to everyone who's shared their list so far. Here's my list:

*Before Sunset*

*Children of Men*

*Coraline*

*Curious Case of Benjamin Button*

*Der Untergang*

*Gangs of New York*

*8 Femmes*

*Mamma Mia!*

*Pan's Labyrinth*

*Volver*

*Y tu mama tambien*

Some honorable mentions:

* To the documentaries Fahrenheit 9/11 and Food, Inc. for addressing some of the foremost issues that should be of concern to us today; and to Not Quite Hollywood for a delightful look at the world of Australian cinema.

* To Wes Anderson, for being the only director of live-action films (at least that I can think of) to successfully direct a movie made with stop-motion animation - Fantastic Mr. Fox.

* To J.J. Abrams, for the best franchise reboot ever made, with this year's Star Trek.

> {quote:title=redriver wrote:}{quote}

> I've never heard anybody mention the moving, WENDY AND LUCY. An intimate little story that broke my heart. Thank God for video. A movie like this will never play small town theatres

I actually did watch it, on DVD, and I think it is indeed profoundly moving. Those are the kinds of stories that Hollywood doesn't seem interested in telling - and yet I'm sure that there are way more Americans than there should be facing similar situations.

Highly recommended, indeed.

Are you referring to this decade? If so the answer is a astounding NO. In fact only maybe a handful or two at best have been made since the 1970's. And after all isn;t that why we're all here on a site that shows older classical movies? They quit making movies like "Gone with the Wind", "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" "Ben Hur" and hundreds of others many, many years ago. There are no more great Directors like Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, ect. anymore. They quit making the Cary Grant's , Jimmy Stewarts, Humphrey Bogart's, Bette Davis's, Ingrid Bergman's and a whole host of others many, many years ago. So I say again, Isn't that why we're on here? Isn't it why we practically live on TCM?

Maurice Covert

I have a couple that haven't been mentioned:

"A Home At The End Of The World", from Michael Cunninham's script based on his novel.

"Infamous", the OTHER Truman Capote film, and a better one.

"Across The Universe", Julie Taymor's fairly seamless stringing together of Beatles songs to tell the story of the decade they dominated.

Edited by: DougieB on Nov 28, 2009 8:40 AM

Whatever the greatest film of the last decade is, I haven't seen it.

Oh, I've seen some films I adored, like "Ratatouille" and the "LOTR" movies, and some very good films, but absolutely nothing truly GREAT comes to mind. Says a lot about Hollywood today, doesn't it.