Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"HEAVEN ONLY KNOWS" (1947)

HollywoodGolightly

Anyone know if this Western has ever been shown on TCM before? It sounds very interesting. I'll definitely be recording it tonight.

*Heaven Only Knows* (1947) 10pm ET

An angel lands in the wild West to save a gambler's soul.

Cast: Robert Cummings, Brian Donlevy, Marjorie Reynolds, Bill Goodwin Dir: Albert S. Rogell BW-98 mins, TV-G

I haven't seen the film at all since 1963. The ending bugged me, as did the similar one for ON BORROWED TIME. I wish that Gerald Mohr had mohr :) to do, the bit with the matches was a nice touch but the film needed a better confrontation between he and Cummings.

Claude Rains, Henry Travers, Jack Benny, Cary Grant, Robert Cummings - there sure were a lot of angels back in 40s films.

I knew I had seen it before,many many moons ago. Bit the title didn't sound familiar and it wasn't until Robert O. said it was also known as "Montana Mike" then I realized that was the title I saw it under.Peter Miles, the little kid in the film was the brother of Gigi Perreau, she did a number of films in the 40's and 50's.....

Sometimes you eagerily anticipate a film because of the cast or whatever. But the end result comes up short. That sums up my review of this film. I like Robert Cummings and Brian Donlevy. I think Donlevy was a very underutilized actor, given a good role he could do the job.

Thank you all very much for your comments. :)

This is an oddball movie, imho - kind of like Destry Meets the Bishop's Wife. I've to confess, I rather enjoyed it in spite of its little flaws.

(Boy, even for a 40s movie, this is pretty darn corny!) :D

The stuff with the boy at the end did catch me a bit by surprise, because I don't think they'd built up to it too much, just a mention or two about the boy being sick or something.

But it still had its moments, like the near-hanging, and I rather enjoy watching Donlevy playing the bad guy who turns out to be a good guy after all - and he even gets the girl.

All the same, I can only assume this was never meant to be more than a B-movie.