Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The List of Adrian Messenger

I recorded it a couple of years ago, but I can't recall from what channel. I think it might have been Cinemax of Encore Mystery. Perhaps, with TCM's new arrangement with Universal it will turn up on here sometime.

Well, for imported DVDs, I strongly suggest going to either Amazon UK or Amazon France, depending on the title, and it's usually a lot cheaper than you'd pay elsewhere. And once you have a multi-region player, you have a whole lot of movies available to you that haven't been released here in the U.S.

By the way I ordered Adrian Messanger from Amazon UK and it has already shipped...

HMMMM a multi-region dvd player where would one find one of these critters.. its an idea that plays to my desires to own many great British mini-series that don't ever seem to show up here in region 1.

Have you ordered from Amazon UK before and if so any customs probs? and how long on average would you say for order to delivery?

> {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote}

> HMMMM a multi-region dvd player where would one find one of these critters.. its an idea that plays to my desires to own many great British mini-series that don't ever seem to show up here in region 1.

Probably the easiest place would be Amazon - I got a good one there for around $50, and that was a while ago. It is really a good investment, imho.

> Have you ordered from Amazon UK before and if so any customs probs? and how long on average would you say for order to delivery?

I have ordered from Amazon UK, Amazon France, and Amazon Germany without any trouble whatsoever. And, amazingly, sometimes the deliveries from Europe take even less time to get here than those from Amazon US. Go figure...

> {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote} Have you ordered from Amazon UK before and if so any customs probs? and how long on average would you say for order to delivery?

I went multi-region a couple of years ago and never regretted it. As for amazon.uk, I've ordered at least ten times without a problem. I'd say they're just as reliable as their U.S. counterpart.

I've found delivery time excellent. My orders have always been sent via Royal Airmail (the British Post Office). For me, the quickest has been five days and the longest ten. That's faster than orders from a lot of outfits right here in this country. I live on the east coast so I guess it might be a little longer elsewhere.

Here's a couple of things to keep in mind. If you have a user name and password for amazon in the U.S., that will work with the UK site so you won't have to register again.

Customs. Don't worry about it. It comes right to your mailbox without any customs fee.

Prices are listed in British pounds, not dollars, so you'll need to add approximately 65% to that to figure out the price in dollars. Don't let that scare you off, there are so many great films in the five to ten pound range that you'll still find many bargains.

Like amazon here, they offer free shipping, but that's only in the UK. You can choose standard shipping, which is usually by airmail or pay addition for express delivery by companies like Fed-Ex.

All in all,it's pretty painless.

> {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote}

> I went multi-region a couple of years ago and never regretted it. As for amazon.uk, I've ordered at least ten times without a problem. I'd say they're just as reliable as their U.S. counterpart.

> . . .

> Prices are listed in British pounds, not dollars, so you'll need to add approximately 65% to that to figure out the price in dollars. Don't let that scare you off, there are so many great films in the five to ten pound range that you'll still find many bargains.

You can turn on the Amazon Currency Converter in your Account Preferences so that your order total shows in your local currency. Also, prices will be lower if sent to non-EU addresses because the EU sales tax (VAT) will be deducted.

> {quote:title=tterrace wrote:}{quote}

> You can turn on the Amazon Currency Converter in your Account Preferences so that your order total shows in your local currency. Also, prices will be lower if sent to non-EU addresses because the EU sales tax (VAT) will be deducted.

Not that it would make a huge difference with most orders, but chances are you'll get a better exchange rate if you pay in dollars and let your bank take care of the currency conversion.

> {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote}

> I think a region free DVD is the answer for me. I don't want to get into online shopping for items this bulky at Xmas time so i guess i put on the back burner to the new year.

Well, the only thing I would add is that if you don't mind watching the movie on your desktop or laptop, most computer drives with DVD readers can play Region 2 discs, the only thing you may not be able to do is go back and forth constantly between R1 and R2.

I know some people do it that way just for the sake of expediency, but I haven't done that myself so I can't speak from first-hand experience.

• 1 month later...

Holy cow, hollywood how many movies are you backlogged on? Wow, if i were asked to give the definition of movie addict i would have to reply Hollywoodgolightly. I would like to be in your position 0on this film i have such a yen to see it after 30 years yet once again. The R2 would not help me, but i wish one of my local video stores had the VHS copy.

In your situation to be really serious it will be necessary to stock the larder, fine tune the bar, stoke the fire place, pull the drapes and place "GOLIGHTLY MANOR" in lock down mode, then and only then will you have a snowballs chance in H*** in getting caught up. Thems words of wisdom pilgrim. Good luck!!!

Edited by: stjohnrv on Jan 9, 2010 3:13 PM