Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The List of Adrian Messenger

Don't sweat it, Holly, if you're like me you'll NEVER get caught up. For years, I recorded dozens of movies a week off of TCM and that nameless former classic film channel (You know, the one that sold it's soul to the devil.) and justified it by saying that I'd watch them all when I retired. Well, I've been retired for a year and while I've made a dent in the pile of the older recordings, I'm still making new ones

Maybe if I live to 117.... :)

> {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote}

> Don't sweat it, Holly, if you're like me you'll NEVER get caught up.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, mark. Sometimes it just seems like an impossible task. On most days it's hard enough to catch up with everything I have rented or checked out of the library, let alone stuff I've bought or recorded off TV. There are movies I've watched recently I had wanted to see since I was in high school. It just never ends.

But, knowing that there'll be some folks with whom to discuss the movie afterwards always makes it a little bit easier. :D

dan,

With any luck TCM will become the channel to go to for old Universal movies, once the new deal with MCA kicks in - I keep hearing about it, and there has been a slight increase in Universal-owned titles (including the pre-1948 Paramount talkies) but I keep waiting for more.

In any event my R2 DVD of Adrian Messenger will probably do for now. ;)

> {quote:title=danthemoviefan wrote:}{quote}

> Sundance ran a nice letterboxed copy of The List of Adrian Messenger a couple of years ago, but I don't think the channel runs old Universal films anymore.

Must be when I burned it to disc. I won't save pan-and-scan versions. It's quite a good film.

Good news! This movie is now part of a small number of films being made available as "made on demand" DVD-Rs, much like the Warner Archives, by the Universal Vault and sold exclusively by amazon.com.

This means they're selling an "official" DVD-R of the movie for $19.99, basically.

If anyone's interested:

http://www.amazon.com/List-Adrian-Messenger-Amazon-com-Exclusive/dp/B0033PSHB8

Hollywood you are fast becoming one of my favorite people. I can't get the DVD-r through Amazon Canada so i have ordered it through amazon.com a little pricier then for you folks in the USA, but a bargain for those of us who have wanted this movie for years and have been unable to get it on R1. thanks for the heads up Hollywood and i hope the sun always shines brightly above Golightly Manor.

Edited by: stjohnrv on Jan 13, 2010 10:45 AM

I finally watched it! This is a really cool movie, with a very good cast, and a great story. :D

Of course, the mystery is strong enough to probably hold up on its own even without any gimmicks; I think the movie would have worked fine without the "mystery" cameos. In any event, it probably does represent an early high point for that kind of make-up applications. I really couldn't tell who anybody was, except for Kirk Douglas. All the other cameos were quite delightful when they're revealed at the end.

I'm really glad the movie is now available on DVD-R here in the U.S.; hopefully, TCM will also be able to license the movie from Universal one of these days. It's a very good mystery, and I hope to watch it again one of these days.

Final--------leeey, I knew you were going to like it, but really Hollywood you didn`t recognize Bob Mitchum? You mentioned earlier you had the R2 version, but might get the DVD-r from amazon, Why are they in some manner different?

> {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote}

> Final--------leeey, I knew you were going to like it, but really Hollywood you didn`t recognize Bob Mitchum?

Well, yeah, believe it or not, Mitchum's probably the one I least suspected when I saw him with the make-up. Sinatra and Curtis, there was probably a 50-50 chance I'd have guessed correctly. With Mitchum, not a chance.

> You mentioned earlier you had the R2 version, but might get the DVD-r from amazon, Why are they in some manner different?

Well, all of the R2 DVDs from Europe have what's called "PAL speedup" which means that the movie runs approximately 4% faster. Many people won't even notice it. Other than that, I don't believe there is going to be a huge difference; the UK disc is released by someone who licenses the movie from Universal; the one here in the U.S. is being released directly by Universal.

But those are all very small differences. I think by and large they're going to be almost identical.

I got my copy of the Universal Vault DVD-R, and took a quick look at it. The picture looks pretty good and it is in the correct aspect ratio. I think the picture quality is as good as can be expected short of them making a new HD transfer (which I doubt will happen anytime soon).

As expected, there's no extras whatsoever, no closed-captioning, not even a menu. The movie just starts when you put it into the player.

Yo Hollywood my copy of TLOAM arrived this morning and i wasted no time in getting into the Blu-Ray & I am completely satisfied with the quality of the DVD-r. As I noted it has been decades since last i saw this film and I am happy to report time has not diminished its appeal.