Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

describe the scene game

cagney69

this sounds so familiar...was there sort of a funny drunk on the plane?  maybe I'm thinking of something else...

I think it's time to pull the plug on this one.  Shutoo, although you weren't able to name it, I think you did have the right picture in mind, and so the thread is yours if you want it. 

The movie was Fugitive in the Sky (1936), an action packed and entertaining little programmer from Warner Brothers that starred Jean Muir and Warren Hull.

Thanks Starliteyes..I'd convinced myself it had 'murder' in the title, so I would never have remembered it

next:

An author is signing books at a department store, when the smell of a 'celebrity' perfume from the next counter makes him suddenly ill, and he runs outside.

He's followed by his overly adoring fans as he runs through NYC streets, dodging cars, and jumps into a horse-drawn carriage.  He doesn't recognize her, but the woman in it is also famous..and he's said some mean things about her in the past.  Meet cute alarm.

The woman he meets is, in fact, a famous actress known for her ego and temper.  The two actually came to NY on the same train, in adjoining compartments, but never met.  We see them both in their rooms..she's angry that a crowd came to see him and not her, and he says "marshmallow faced movie stars make me sick".

The unlikely couple end up married, and on their wedding night, she spritzes on her signature perfume..he has the same violent reaction to it (see clue one) and she disappears before he can explain it's the scent, not her.  The papers herald the return of the missing actress when she goes home to her grandmother.

(I'll throw in the towel after this ^_^ )

mid 30's, four of the cast were Oscar nominated (not for this film), several wins.  Both leads were very big stars, but she was better known for pairing up with another tall fellow on screen. Off screen, the two leads were actually exes.  I have no idea if he meant it, but Bill Murray once said this was one of his favorite films.  The director is known for a long career starting in silents, mostly comedies.

Thanks Starliteyes..I'd convinced myself it had 'murder' in the title, so I would never have remembered it

next:

An author is signing books at a department store, when the smell of a 'celebrity' perfume from the next counter makes him suddenly ill, and he runs outside.

The Moon's Our Home. Henry Fonda and Margaret Sullavan??? Your clue about the ex's did it. I remembered they were briefly married in real life in the 1930's. Many years ago I read Brooke Hayward's book Haywire. She talks about Fonda's and Sullavan's marriage quite a bit.

That's the one!  It is interesting that they had been divorced only about a year when they worked on this film..maybe that's why their 'bickering' scenes are so good ;) Evidently, the studio thought the snow scenes were most important, as they ended up on most of the advertisements, but I prefer the 'split screen' train trip segment..quite clever...Great detective work, LavenderBlue--Your thread!

68887f8fcff80e15707d18d29465c302.jpgMoon00004.jpgMoon00004.jpg