Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

describe the scene game

Thanks, Lavender. 

Next:  A woman buys her daughter a coat as a present.   That same day, the woman's ex-husband happens to go to the same store and buys their daughter another new coat.....which is much fancier and more expensive than the one that his ex-wife bought.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:05 PM, Azure said:

Next:  A woman buys her daughter a coat as a present.   That same day, the woman's ex-husband happens to go to the same store and buys their daughter another new coat.....which is much fancier and more expensive than the one that his ex-wife bought.

The ex-husband still loves his ex-wife and he is determined to get her back.  He decides to invite his ex-wife to dinner so that he can convince her to take him back.    

I know I have seen this movie but nothing clearly comes to mind including the title or the stars, but I am going to guess to generate another clue: The Perfect Marriage with Loretta Young and David Niven.

That was a really good guess, Thenryb, but I have another film in mind.  

Here's another clue --  The ex-husband had been dating another woman. The girlfriend happens to show up at the restaurant while the man and his ex-wife are there.  He tries to keep the 2 women from finding out about each other.

Note:  I had to correct a few details in my previous clues.  I apologize for the errors.

Ah, finally. Never Say Goodbye(1946) with Errol Flynn and Eleanor Parker. I knew I had seen it and every clue just reinforced that without tripping any recollection of who was in it. I am terrible with titles anyway even with movies I have recently seen.

17 hours ago, Thenryb said:

Ah, finally. Never Say Goodbye(1946) with Errol Flynn and Eleanor Parker. I knew I had seen it and every clue just reinforced that without tripping any recollection of who was in it. I am terrible with titles anyway even with movies I have recently seen.

You got it!  Good job, Thenryb.  I know how you feel about not being able to remember titles.  It drives me crazy when I recognize the storyline on these "name the movie" threads and can't remember the name of the movie!

Your turn, Thenryb.

6 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

Hint:  They are looking at photos of deceased family members.

I sort of assumed they were looking at family photos (as opposed to dogs). I can almost visualize the scene but would have to do some "looking up" and know not where to start.

I think of it as the sort of scene which would open a movie and be followed by flashbacks.

This is the sort of thing Google gives you:P

Image result for movie grandmother and granddaughter looking at family album

I'll be honest--I don't remember this particular scene (so this is kind of cheating..) but the only film I could think of where two actresses playing grandmother/granddaughter got Oscar nods is Mrs. Miniver...??

1 hour ago, shutoo said:

I'll be honest--I don't remember this particular scene (so this is kind of cheating..) but the only film I could think of where two actresses playing grandmother/granddaughter got Oscar nods is Mrs. Miniver...??

If having to look things up or making a guess to get another hint is "kind of cheating", then I am a rampant cheater since I have to do that all the time.

• Haha 1

I still do not remember the scene, but in looking through the Oscar nominations for best actress and best supporting actress in movies with one word titles from 1940 to 1990, I could only find three and none where the two nominees played grandmother and granddaughter. The closest I could find is Frances, where Jessica Lange played Frances Farmer and Kim Stanley played her mother. So I will guess that.

Well, we still haven't come up with the correct movie.  The movie opens in California, but the  majority of the story takes place in the rural Midwest.  The star has been nominated several times for an Oscar, and the actress playing the grandmother is English (I think).  This was physically a very demanding role for the lead actress.

Pinky perhaps. Jeanne Crain as the grandaughter. Ether Waters as grandmother. I swear I saw Princess of Tap provide this answer a couple of hours ago but her post seems to have disappeared. In fact, I was getting ready to post the answer and she beat me to it, but what happened to her post?

4 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

Pinky perhaps. Jeanne Crain as the grandaughter. Ether Waters as grandmother. I swear I saw Princess of Tap provide this answer a couple of hours ago but her post seems to have disappeared. In fact, I was getting ready to post the answer and she beat me to it, but what happened to her post?

I did post Pinky, but later as I looked, it didn't seem too fit all the criteria  of the question. So I did delete it.

13 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I did post Pinky, but later as I looked, it didn't seem too fit all the criteria  of the question. So I did delete it.

I am not sure it does either. It does not take place primarily in the rural Midwest but in the South. Ethel Waters is certainly not English. I have seen the movie some time ago and still do not remember any album scene, nor do I remember Jeanne Crain's role as something physically demanding. Also, if by star, Terrance is referring to Jeanne Crain, I think that was her only Oscar nomination. Oh well, maybe we will get one of those "that is not the movie I had in mind" responses. 

I'm stumped.  I was so certain that these were enough clues to get an answer.  You're right--"Pinky" came close to being the movie in question, but a couple of details were not right, as pointed out.

The young woman in the movie goes to stay with her grandmother to recuperate after an auto  accident.  The title of the movie has religious connotations.

19 minutes ago, shutoo said:

Resurrection   ? Ellen Burstyn and Eva La Gallienne

Ha. I finally found it myself but you beat me to it. I did not want the thread anyway;) I have never seen that movie. No wonder I was struggling to find the answer. It looks like one I want to see.