Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

describe the scene game

Flash forward..we find out why she was rushing to get married when she gives birth to a baby boy.  The man who's befriended her knows a couple who adopt the baby, and arranges a job for her at an upscale shop.  He goes back to his wandering ways.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:36 AM, shutoo said:

Two women standing in front of a court house begin talking.  They are both waiting for their fiances, and plan to be married that day.

On 9/6/2020 at 3:40 PM, shutoo said:

After a long wait, one hears a crash ...yup, it's her fiance'...she's not getting married today.

On 9/8/2020 at 12:04 PM, shutoo said:

She contemplates suicide on a bridge, but a disheveled fellow stops her and asks her to go to his home to talk.  He looks seedy, but actually he's very well educated and fairly wealthy; he's just 'dropped out' to bum around the world on cattle boats.

Flash forward..we find out why she was rushing to get married when she gives birth to a baby boy.  The man who's befriended her knows a couple who adopt the baby, and arranges a job for her at an upscale shop.  He goes back to his wandering ways.

-----------the above are previous posts, so you won't have to look at other page.....

The woman is successful, and goes to Paris on business.   In her hotel, she overhears a little boy claiming a package at the desk...she recognizes the name on it as the family that adopted her son...and realizes the six year old is her child.  After talking to him and his nanny, she decides to change her plans, and sail home with them so she can get to know the boy.

On the voyage home, she spends all her time with the boy, and learns his (adoptive) mother has died.  When she gets home to NY, her friend is there, he's taken a regular job, and it's clear to everyone (but her) that he's in love with her. He knows the boy's father, of course (since he arranged the adoption) and warns her not to get so involved..he reminds her.she promised she wouldn't tell anyone she was his mother when she gave him up.

sorry for the lag...

Back in NYC, she 'manages' to run into the father and son, and meets the woman the father intends to marry.  This is NOT the woman she wants raising her son.

She is determined to expose this woman as a gold digger, and does.  In the process, the boy's father falls for her...now two men love her...who will she choose? She loves the man who's helped her all these years, but wants to be with her son....

note: maybe I'm the only one who's seen this..late 30s...very famous actress.  I'll give it a couple days for any guesses.

On 9/26/2020 at 7:12 PM, shutoo said:

She is determined to expose this woman as a gold digger, and does.  In the process, the boy's father falls for her...now two men love her...who will she choose? She loves the man who's helped her all these years, but wants to be with her son....

note: maybe I'm the only one who's seen this..late 30s...very famous actress.  I'll give it a couple days for any guesses.

Always Goodbye ? Barbara Stanwyck and Herbert Marshall ???

5 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Always Goodbye ? Barbara Stanwyck and Herbert Marshall ???

Yes!   I'm not the only one who's seen it! 

I was surprised at the ending...thought she would stay with Marshall and keep ties to her son.

Your thread, lavenderblue!

Thanks Shutoo :)

When a beautiful but poor young woman from the wrong side of the tracks is told by the man she's aways loved that he's marrying a wealthy, socially acceptable woman, she hits him and then marries a wealthy, older man that she does care about but doesn't love.

The rich, socially acceptable people in town always considered her trash and treated her that way. The young woman and the wealthy older man, come back from their honeymoon and give a party at their mansion. Many don't show up.

At the country club dance, the young woman and the man she's always loved dance together, her husband sees them, becomes jealous and the 2 men fight. ( we don't see the fight, just the husband who's been hurt after). The wife gets ice for him for his face, he pushes it away. The husband then yells at the wife calling her a tramp.

12 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I'm probably wrong, but it sounds like Cass Timberlane with Lana, Spencer and Zachary.

Sorry Chaya, not the film I'm asking about. Zacharey isn't Lana's old love and he doesn't tell Lana he's  marrying someone  else.

The next day the young woman and her husband make-up and go sailing together. She tells him she's sorry and that he's been so good to her and that she does love him.

• Like 1

It becomes windy and the water choppy. A rope holding the pole is loose and becomes untied and knocks her husband into the sea. She calls out to him but he goes down fast. She did nothing wrong, it's a terrible accident.

The rich and powerful blame her for her husband's death and call her a murderer.  The owner of the local newspaper implies she is responsible for the husband's death. Townspeople call her murderer and hang up, throw rocks thru windows of the mansion, she swears revenge against all who have wronged her in the past and present.

She has inherited her husband's businesses and money. Her lawyer informs her of the many promissory notes that her husband had from the local business owners. She gives each one 24 hours to make good on the notes or be shut down. She begins to destroy the ones who rejected her because of her poor background and accusing her for being a gold digger and having something to do with her husband's death.

edited by me

Don't want to give away any more of the plot to spoil the ending. Here are some hints about the cast and film.

The lead actress, the lead actor and the supporting actor are all Oscar winners ( for different films) She won for Best Actress before this film, He won for Best Actor after this film and the Supporting actor won for Best Supporting actor before this film. The theme song without lyrics used in the film was a big hit and became a jazz and pop standard. It was also a hit song with lyrics.

• Confused 1
2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I am really looking forward to the answer.

Chaya, why not work on the question? this is a film TCM has shown and the clues are pretty clear, don't know why you checked a conmfused emoji?

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Don't want to give away any more of the plot to spoil the ending. Here are some hints about the cast and film.

The lead actress, the lead actor and the supporting actor are all Oscar winners ( for different films) She won for Best Actress before this film, He won for Best Actor after this film and the Supporting actor won for Best Supporting actor before this film. The theme song without lyrics used in the film was a big hit and became a jazz and pop standard. It was also a hit song with lyrics.

I'm repeating the last clues given.

You guys are really making me work for this one LOL. 

This is a 1950's film, B&W, the theme song was a big hit and features a harmonica. This film has been shown on TCM In the 1960's there was a big  hit song ( it's a different song than the theme song to this film ) by a singer songwriter who had changed her name. Herchanged last name was the last name  of the film's lead character. and part of the title of the film. Please read all the clues, participation in this thread would be appreciated.

Last clue. As I wrote before, there are 3 Oscars winners in this film ( for other films). the 2 leads in the film won their Best Actress and Best Actor Oscars for 2 different films however both of those  films were  both considered Religious films.  the 3rd actor in the film who won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor ( for a different film) was nominated for a Supporting Oscar playing a Priest in a very famous film. As another interesting  coincidence, there is a character in this film the question is about that is a Bible quoting fanatic character. and plays an important role in this film.

edited by me 

1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

I've never seen this film, lav, but I think I finally figured it out based only on your clues regarding the Oscars that the actors won.  The film has to be Ruby Gentry.

It certainly is Ruby Gentry., Jennifer Jones, Charlton Heston, Karl Malden. 

1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

I've never seen this film, lav, but I think I finally figured it out based only on your clues regarding the Oscars that the actors won.  The film has to be Ruby Gentry.

Yes, it's Ruby Gentry. Beautiful theme song that is a pop and jazz standard  was a hit  and then was also a hit for Ray Charles when lyrics were put to the music. I would have thought just that clue would have solved this one since I did also say it was a b&w 1950's film with this hit song. Yes, Jennifer won her Oscar for Song of Bernadette, Heston for Ben Hur and Malden won Best Supporting for A Streetcar Named Desire and Malden was nominated for his role as a Priest in On the Waterfront. So, there's the Religious connection and Ruby's insane  Bible quoting, fanatic brother. Bobbie Gentry, the country western singer who had her hit Ode To Billy Joe was the singer, songwriter who changed her name to Gentry after seeing Ruby Gentry, she was that taken with the character Jennifer plays and the film.

TCM once in awhile does show this  film, and it's a good one, I recommend watching the film when it's shown

Thank You Star, glad someone was paying attention. Good work, it's your thread :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1