Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

> {quote:title=sineast wrote:}{quote}

> Goodness gracious, it's Seinfeld all over again. :D Remember a little old school TV program called The Andy Griffith Show? And a town drunk by the name of Otis Campbell, played by Hal Smith? It should be coming back now. The photo that started off the thread looked like an outtake from How Green Was My Valley, maybe when the miners hit the bar after a hard day of work.

Ah, now you're talking. I am not too familiar with The Andy Griffith Show, unfortunately, but I have definitely watched How Green Was My Valley. A very good movie. Very good movie, indeed.

Though I don't think they had any movies showing there, at the time. But I could be wrong.

> Okay Otis...tell me where the still is...I don't want to get rough on you... Don't make me screen the director's cut of The Ghost and Mr. Chicken...

>

> There's only one way to stop this off-topic stuff. Nip it...nip it in the bud.

Well, what is the topic again? Oh, wait, it's just rambling about anything that comes to mind? Or should we wait for someone to suggest a movie?

*I wouldn't want TCMWebAdmin to say the conversation has gone off-topic.*

I would think if the Mods were to read the thread they would see that it has been fairly consistent on being on-topic since the thread was started.

It's just that the topic has been about familiarizing ourselves with the lay-out of the new digs and not a specific movie.

As the holiday is right around the corner, I would hope that the mods would be in as celebratory mood as some here are. There is nothing wrong with threads that allow people to converse about things besides movies.

This thread, like it's father, Rambles, Sr, is about people coming together to talk about a myriad of things, not just specifically movies. Thus, it's hard for the conversation here to be considered off-topic.

You can always start a new thread and talk about a particular movie if you are so inclined.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> As the holiday is right around the corner, I would hope that the mods would be in as celebratory mood as some here are. There is nothing wrong with threads that allow people to converse about things besides movies.

>

> This thread, like it's father, Rambles, Sr, is about people coming together to talk about a myriad of things, not just specifically movies. Thus, it's hard for the conversation here to be considered off-topic.

>

Thank you for the clarification, Lynn. By the way, did you see my earlier post about the weather in L.A.? I hope it will be nice and sunny and not too cold during the holidays (you probably remember the Christmas in Los Angeles gag in Woody Allen's Annie Hall - one of my favorites)

I agree that the holidays are a great time to sit back and relax. :D

I've lots of movies that I bought/recorded over the last few months, and I hope to finally be able to start catching up with them - the long winter nights sometimes seem just perfect to watch 2, 3 or even 4 movies per night - just start as soon as it gets dark and keep going till midnight.

I used to do that a lot when I was in college, but middle-age is starting to take its toll, albeit rather gradually. ;)

I presumed most people have watched AG, since it's been in reruns

since forever, but it's not a good idea to presume too much. Well,

I've already mentioned The Reluctant Astronaut, +The Ghost and

Mr. Chicken+, both classics of the existential, why are we really here

genre. I'll just add one more of the same type, How to Frame A ****.

All three are remarkable life-altering cinematic experiences.

With a title like Rambles, one assumes the topics of discussion will be

rather free-floating and subject to change. I originally thought it would be

a discussion of the Led Zeppelin song Ramble On, but like Rick

Blaine, I was misinformed. Have a good one, yawl.

> I presumed most people have watched AG, since it's been in reruns since forever, but it's not a good idea to presume too much.

A good idea. For a gal who spends so much time in front of a HDTV monitor, I watch remarkably few television programs - it's usually movies either on TCM or DVD or blu-ray. When it comes to actual TV, I generally won't watch much more than SNL and the Letterman show, if that.

>Well, I've already mentioned The Reluctant Astronaut, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, both classics of the existential, why are we really here genre. I'll just add one more of the same type, How to Frame A ****.

> All three are remarkable life-altering cinematic experiences.

Well, I know remarkably little about Don Knotts movies, although I have been meaning to watch The Incredible Mr. Limpet for the longest time (don't ask - something about the cover art on the DVD somehow makes it seem very appealing).

> With a title like Rambles, one assumes the topics of discussion will be rather free-floating and subject to change. I originally thought it would be a discussion of the Led Zeppelin song Ramble On, but like Rick Blaine, I was misinformed. Have a good one, yawl.

I would hope for a rather free-floating discussion, as well... but maybe this thread is alike a box of chocolates... you never know what you're going to get! ;)

>

> Photobucket

>

> We call it, Lucy's View..... or Lucia's View depending on who you are....

Gorgeous...the nice thing about this place is that your "view" is customizable.

In other words, you don't have to see _anything_ you don't wish to see. Technology

for the 21st century happy home.

>

> Now about these accommodations. How did I get stuck sharing a room with Grimes???

>

> HollidayTxFormerJailCell0409BG.jpg?t=1259097512

>

> There must be some mistake. Have you been letting Rohanaka handle check in?

LOL!!!

She assured me everyone was getting the accomodation

they deserved...ummm...I mean desired. :D

Hey Mighty Mo,

Here's the *TWO* views from my window:

utah-monument-valley.jpg

and it looks like the troops are coming back:

shworeayellowribbon.jpg

I'll be glad to sit on the porch with you, chat and have a nip, for "medicinal" purposes, of course.

Edited by: lzcutter on Nov 24, 2009 5:03 PM

MissG,

Since you were so nice to set up this virtual B&B for us, I think I have fixed the "view" problem on my latest post. It's a slightly different view but one I wouldn't trade.

Hey Mo,

Having the corner room has it's advantages I guess. We can barter if you're up for it. Be forewarned, I've been hanging out with your mother and she has taught me a thing or two not only about cards but also bargaining.

She's quite adept at it, though you'd never know from looking at her.

220px-MaraiaOuspenskayainLoveAffair.jpg

Just ask the Biggest Evil Ever. ;)

Edited by: lzcutter because of image posting problems

I'm not sure what I have to bargain with. Have you seem my room???

If you have been hanging out with Mother Molo tell her to stay out of my tonic! I think I will just be visiting you a lot until this I get this straightened out with Rohanaka! :)

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

>

> A good idea. For a gal who spends so much time in front of a HDTV monitor, I watch remarkably few television programs - it's usually movies either on TCM or DVD or blu-ray. When it comes to actual TV, I generally won't watch much more than SNL and the Letterman show, if that.

>

>

> Well, I know remarkably little about Don Knotts movies, although I have been meaning to watch The Incredible Mr. Limpet for the longest time (don't ask - something about the cover art on the DVD somehow makes it seem very appealing).

>

> I would hope for a rather free-floating discussion, as well... but maybe this thread is alike a box of chocolates... you never know what you're going to get! ;)

AG has been on TV Land quite a bit recently. They're fun to watch, though I've seen

them numerous times. I wish I had more time to watch TCM, but there's only so many

hours in the day, and you have to pick and choose. Might watch Dark Passage tonight,

haven't seen it in quite a while. I can only take about two movies in a row, though I'm going

to make an exception for the Rathbone/Bruce SH series on the day after Christmas. Going

to have to go into training for that one. Good day to watch Sherlock and pig out on leftovers,

with a spot of tea of course.

As has happened with other genres of movies, some European critics are currently reevaluating

the Don Knotts' oeuvre from the mid 1960s What were once considered rather routine,

uninspiring, unfunny movies are now being looked upon as profound meditations on the

human condition with an emphasis on the theme of the individual and his or her place in the

larger society, with Knotts as an everygeek figure. Some critics have gone so far as to postulate

that The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Reluctant Astronaut, and +The Shakiest Gun

in the West+ should not be considered as individual movies, but as the three parts of a

whole, the so-called Milquetoast Trilogy.

You have to watch out for those boxes of chocolates that don't have the little diagrams that

tell you what kind of chocolate it is. You could be looking forward to chocolate fudge and

end up with some fruit glop with a chocolate cover. Yuck.

otis.png

Have a drink on me. O.C.

> AG has been on TV Land quite a bit recently. They're fun to watch, though I've seen them numerous times. I wish I had more time to watch TCM, but there's only so many hours in the day, and you have to pick and choose. Might watch Dark Passage tonight, haven't seen it in quite a while. I can only take about two movies in a row, though I'm going to make an exception for the Rathbone/Bruce SH series on the day after Christmas. Going to have to go into training for that one. Good day to watch Sherlock and pig out on leftovers, with a spot of tea of course.

Oh, I barely have time to watch what is on TCM, so I doubt I could find the time to watch TV Land - much as I would like to. Dark Passage is a good movie, I think, so you should enjoy that if you watch it. And I'm also going to try to watch all of the SH movies on Christmas Day, although of course what will actually happen on that day is a bit unpredictable due to family.

> As has happened with other genres of movies, some European critics are currently reevaluating the Don Knotts' oeuvre from the mid 1960s What were once considered rather routine, uninspiring, unfunny movies are now being looked upon as profound meditations on the human condition with an emphasis on the theme of the individual and his or her place in the larger society, with Knotts as an everygeek figure. Some critics have gone so far as to postulate that The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Reluctant Astronaut, and The Shakiest Gun in the West should not be considered as individual movies, but as the three parts of a whole, the so-called Milquetoast Trilogy.

>

Well, unfortunately, I'm definitely not as familiar with Don Knotts' oeuvre as you evidently are - though I'm always willing to learn. In fact, aside from the occasional episode of "Three's Company" I watched when I was little, I don't think I've seen many things with him in it.

> You have to watch out for those boxes of chocolates that don't have the little diagrams that tell you what kind of chocolate it is. You could be looking forward to chocolate fudge and end up with some fruit glop with a chocolate cover. Yuck.

Um, well, generally speaking, I haven't ever found any chocolate that I didn't like. ;)