Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All I know is that if one uses WORD and then copies the text into this forum the quotation marks etc.. don't show up.

As for Audrey Hepburn; While the term angel is overused it applies to her especially in this first role. She just had a different type of charm and sex appeal then your standard gal.

>All I know is that if one uses WORD and then copies the text into this forum the quotation marks etc.. don't show up.

Thank you. That explains a couple of other problems too, apostrophe's etc.

"I should like to meet the ladies and gentleman of the press."

:)

Laffite, I didn't want to jump in until after you had seen all of Roman Holiday. I wanted so badly to scream through the computer, "KEEP WATCHING! KEEP WATCHING! It gets better, really it does! It's so worth sticking with it." :D

I'm SO GLAD you watched all the way through, and were able to get to that last scene. It wins you over, that movie. Gosh,just your posting that line makes me get a lump in my throat.

When I first saw it, I did not like Gregory Peck at all as an actor. I saw the film for the first time when I was very much under the weather, quite ill in fact, and everything about it struck me wrong. All the comic elements of Peck's character, especially the scene where he tries to take the little girl's camera turned to creepiness bordering on pedophilia in my feverish state. The hair cutting scene was unbearable! I felt she was being attacked!

I waited a long long time before I had the nerve to watch the film again, but I did about 4 years ago, and found not the creepy film I had watched so long ago, but a beautiful love-redemption story.

Your words about the end bring back the choking feeling I have every time I watch. It's so powerful to me, that wordless connection between the two, that I will always swear that actor Gregory Peck truly loved Audrey Hepburn and nothing anyone could say will ever dissuade me from that thought. This was the first film in which I really liked Peck and it has helped me through other movies of his. Now I can say there are a few really stand out roles for me by this actor, which I couldn't have said if I hadn't seen the movie. When I watch it now, I don't even think about someone else playing the role, and I actually like Peck as a poor, unscrupulous newsman.

But I still can't watch that camera scene without cringing. :D

I also absolutely love the sweet barber who cut her hair, then asks her out to the dance. He's so adorable I always kind of wish they got together. The movie from that dance scene on is perfection.

The scene where Audrey has her panic attack is incredible, you really feel the agony pouring out of this girl, how confining and restrictive her regimented life is for her sensitive soul, it's as if she were in a straitjacket being squeezed tighter and tighter. I really sympathize greatly with her longing to be free.

"Roman Holiday" is a favorite at my house, especially my daughter Maureen. We even saw it on the big screen. I think I was charmed by Audrey the moment she appears. Peck, to me, was a bit of a rascal but pretty harmless. Eddie Albert was more of a man of questionable character. Overall, I loved it. The ending is a heartbreaking conclusion that shows there are times that things are beyond your control.

I do think that when one is sick one might consider watching films that they have already seen. The Bride had her first viewing of "It's A Wonderful Life" while ill and she didn't like it at all. Well, there was no way she was not going to watch it again. Soon after she came to love it too.

CinemAVA, that was brilliant. Loved the mix of a few well known choices along with some very unconventional (or lesser known) films. Truly for classic and noir fans. Loved seeing Vic in *My Darling Clementine* and Gable in *A Free Soul* (he was SO potent). GREAT work. I wish I could do vids like that. I have the ideas, but not the patience!

It's so true, Chris, being sick, especially with a fever can totally mess up your take on a film.

I remember watching the BeeGees Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band when I had my tonsils out.

It didn't get any better when I got healthy.

Great discussions of *Scarlet Street*, "Notti di Bianchi* and *Rules of the Game*. I have not seen the latter two. I'm rather similar to Jackie in that I have to come to certain films at my own time and on my own terms. I adore Renoir, so I've no real concrete reason for having avoided that particular film of his. But the words exchanged here do inspire me. I couldn't help but think the descriptions sounded as if they were describing a slightly more somber (or less zany) Lubitschian world. I had no idea *Rules of the Game* was even a comedy of any kind. I figured it to be an uber-serious satire on the bourgeoisie.

*Roman Holiday* is, quite simply, perfection in Hollywood film making. Perfect cast, perfectly directed, perfectly universal love story with a heartrending ending. And my word for Audrey has always been: *exquisite*.

Maven -

I loved how you edited it together! It WAS brilliant! I loved the two letters from the two different scenes. I also loved the way you had younger Bogie and older Bogie kind of melding. And Ricardo biting Loretta's fingers, switching to John Hodiak tempting poor Frances Gifford to eat out of his hands. Perfect! And the two couch scenes.... I love how the shadows seem to tell the story of your video.

Something I just noticed this time through was the way you have a string of women, I think starting with Norma Shearer lying back on her bed, with her arms running through her hair... and then Ella Raines and maybe 5 others giving sly looks...ending with Bette and her gun from *The Letter.* It snuck up on me how well those images went together...but then you top it by editing Bette looking down and Burt Lancaster looking UP, as if they were occupying the same space. Oh, it just made my heart leap! Wonderful.

Hi Miss G. Hey there JackaAay. Thank you so much for watching my video and commenting here. I started it last year and then put it aside. It's funny how listening to a piece of music just inspired the whole thing to come together. I'm glad you enjoyed it. ( You know, if this passes muster with you gals...I must be on the right track. Thanx! )

:)

HAPPPPPPYYYY Birthday, Ms. Favell!!

Here's a little something sweet to help you celebrate, kiddo (It's the best of both world's.. your favorite chocolate turtles... and cake!)

Turtles for everybody!! (ha... now THAT'S not something you get to say every day) :D

turtlecake_zps4f813a8c.jpg

Hope your day is terrific, young'un! :)

Ro - THANK YOU so much! You really know me well, my friend - I'm going to dive into that cake and not come up for air till it's eaten! From the inside out! HA!

Thanks my friend for always thinking of us and our well-being. I couldn't have a better buddy in all the world. Now we really have to get together for a Dr. Pepper one of these days. even if it's a virtual one... :D

It's somebody's birthday! Time for a party!

curseofthecatpeople2_zps24619519.jpg

Time for gifts!

suspicion1_zps592b9a3a.jpg

earringsofmadamede1_zpsf5832bb0.jpg

portofshadows2_zps1682f66d.jpg

Even I went "shopping" for a gift!

shadowofadoubt1_zps8e826130.jpg

And after the gifts, it's off to the club.

frenchcancan1_zpsc49d8a6a.jpg

It's time for some dancing!

frenchcancan2_zps72314141.jpg

wagonmaster1_zpsdb1c181a.jpg

Just be careful who you dance with!

miraclesofmorganscreek1_zps0c0c80db.jpg

mylittlechickadee1_zpsc67f51e1.png

I hope your day was a warm and loving one, Jackie.

Frank...

I have no words.

You made me cry, you rascal! All my favorites, I don't know if it was Ann Carter, or the look on Gabin's face... or the sweetness of your compiling all those caps just for me.

Thank you, my friend, thank you. (all verklempt).

Edited by: JackFavell on Feb 16, 2014 11:16 AM because I can't for the life of me remember how to post a heart smiley.

RECENTLY WATCHED FILMS a few comments

*LIFE WITH FATHER* (1948)

This was recommended to me years ago and I rejected it immediately, I just didn?t think this was for me. However this last time it grabbed me right away and I found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable. When Ma and Pa are standing on the porch early on watching that first maid making her escape down the boulevard, I practically shouted at the screen, Stop her! Stop her, but they didn?t do it. What a loss! Not for the household perhaps, but for me, the audience; she was a hoot. And for some reason the DVR/TCM transmission started late and I missed the credits and so here I am leaning in and peering at the screen, thinking is that Liz? But wait, not Liz, not yet ... Miss Taylor rather, still in the bloom of youth, and indeed it was. She was brilliant. I had to go back to that scene on the balcony, the argument with young Clarence, with sweet Mary Skinner (Miss Taylor) rushing away in tears effecting that fine swoon as she raced through Clare's (William Powell) study. And how about that feminine logic, a la Vinnie (Irene Dunn) with regard to justifying the exchange of the already-paid-for statue for the new suit for Clarence because ",,, it won?t cost a thing." Love it. In many ways, it's still a man?s world (maybe) but when it gets up, close and personal, the gals can be adept infighters and win the day. A great screenplay that kept me consistently amused if not laughing out loud,.

*HIGH SIERRA* (1941)

I found this middling, I didn?t think too much of really?until the next day and it occurred to me how nice the Ida Lupino character was. Sweet in a way, loyal, with the guy the whole way. There was another sweet girl in there too, the lame girl who gets an operation (Joan Leslie) with the help of Bogie. He wants her and when repulsed he exhibits the usual criminal/convict mentality, sour grapes (but at least he didn?t kill anybody). Bogie looks oddly unattractive with his hair shorn off like that. Unless Ida's character can slip under the wire somehow and be considered a femme fatale (the definition is not altogether clear to me) then this movie does not have one, but I do believe that this is the first and only noir (if it is indeed one) with a Chien Fatale :D:D You just knew that dog was going to have a dubious role here, the way it was given so much attention throughout. You?ll have to indulge me here, Chien Fatale, I really like that, even if I do say so myself. :D

cef7a92f-ccb3-4c3f-8505-098bfbd6ede8.jpg

*THE BIG STREET* (1941)

This story reminded me a little at that famous novel and most French students are required to read, Manon Lescaut, a poor man who is hopelessly in love with a poor woman, a woman who will never be happy unless living in luxury. Henry Fonda plays a busboy (and proud of it) and goes by the name of Pinks! Yike, he doesn?t have a chance. But he has a heart of gold and an earnest and constant love that nevertheless gets shaken briefly but is there at the end. Pinks and (Lucille) get thrown together and they are both quite visible most of the time, but this is really his story. The ending came as a surprise to me. Lucille (I can?t bring myself to say Lucy) is good looking but I didn?t know that she was THAT good looking. Quite beautiful, yes quite. I sense that her Hollywood career was not what it might have been, and if this is so, it?s probably because the comic side of her was left unnoticed, perhaps even by herself.

*SOME CAME RUNNING* (1961)

This seemed a jumbled mess until that final quixotic gesture, a most unexpected development that brings the whole movie in focus for me. Everybody seems up to no good and David (Frank Sinatra) gets fed up with everything until he sees that purity. The only other ?decent? person was the school teacher but she had long standing pent up issues from the outset and then clammed up to no good effect when she needed to let it out. They kept saying that this was a small town and every time Dave had a runny nose it was all over the papers, but it came across as a much larger (clich? alert) urban jungle of iniquity. Shirley MacLaine's character unprepossessing in the worldly sense, a floozie if you will, but her indomitable child-like innocence and undying capacity for love is an anomaly in this grim cast of characters. She is awfully good, even brilliant. She is worth the whole show.

dodsedithcoffee.jpg

*DODSWORTH* (1937)

Second time around for this one, so good. I love the irony with Fran and her attitude towards Europe. Early she says to Sam, they?re my people, they understand me, to that effect. Later she finds out different in the form of the redoubtable Maria Ouspenskaya, who asks her all sorts of nagging questions, for instance, how old are you? There is a difference between spending a summer at an Italian villa and trying to marry the son of a traditional family. So much for Europe?s understanding. Chatterton is so good. I may not warm up to Fran that much but Ruth makes her interesting. Fran is a human being, not just a bad person, thanks to Ruth. The hurt look on her face as she realizes she has been abandoned will probably always linger when I think of this movie. Edith Cortright in the form of Mary Astor remains for me one of the most appealing characters ever.. That long, deft scene between her and Sam is my favorite. She says to him, "We? ... we?" in her you?re-going-to-take-me-with-you realization and later says to him, "I think I must love you," to which he replies, "And I?m glad of it..." which on the surface doesn?t seem all that romantic but it somehow works perfectly with these two. In real life they are 54 and 30 years old and I wonder if there was a reluctance to show them kissing. Well, if the movie regarded non kissing as an impediment, they sure handled it well. I also love the way poor Edith tries to shield Sam from that dreaded phone call from Vienna and later making her I-won?t-let-you-go speech. She doesn?t come across demanding or petulant, she actually makes sense. That?s Edith for you ... The movie seems to plod along in the early going and then about a half hour in it becomes electric when Sam and Fran have that conversation as they prepare to retire in the hotel room in France. Fran starts unloading her bombshells and the rest of the way is that bumpy ride.

==

I wrote this for posting in a different forum. I hope all do not mind my posting it here also.

This is a new movie but it adheres in many ways to classic movies as its plot is classic and it is driven by characters. I feel strongly that this movie could have been made in the 1930s.

*Saawariya* (2007)

I purchased this DVD at Blockbuster close-out sale. All I knew of it was that it is based on White Nights by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

I feel this is a wonderful story of love and longing. Each person acts as real people act. There are no wild leaps to stretch credibility.

Ranbir Raj is a wastrel who comes to an unknown city and finds a position singing at a popular club. He is light-hearted in all things and finds joy in uplifting those who are unhappy.

Gulabji is a prostitute who falls in love with him. She is practical in knowing that she is not the type of women who men marry and so she keeps her love for him hidden. Her love manifests as teasing him and taking his whimsy seriously.

Lillian runs a boarding house. She is cold and uncaring because she mourns her son who went to war and did not return. Raj breaks through her unhappiness and she in a manner adopts him and comes to love him as she loved her son. She finds joy in his joy.

Sakina is an enigmatic woman who Raj sees waiting on a bridge. She is beautiful, innocent and untouchable and so Raj falls in love with her. She can not love him because she is waiting for Imaan to return and marry her. Her love for Imaan parallels Raj's love for her as he was enigmatic and handsome and so her heart became his so strongly that she could not resist even if she wished.

The set design and cinematography of this movie is stunning! It is a city on the edge of nowhere. It brings to my mind Chiba City in Neuromancer by William Gibson. It may be more blue and cleaner than is realistic for the environs of prostitutes and ne'er-do-wells but it is the perfect setting for the purity of the hearts of the inhabitants. Mists focus our attention and show us what lovers see to the exclusion of all else.

It is easy to see the influence of Frederick Arthur Bridgman in costumes. I feel that the setting captures the spirit of William Louis Sonntag, Sr. albeit urban rather than rural.

I feel it adheres closely to the spirit of the short story upon which it is based.

The movie fits technically within the genre of Bollywood but the dance sequences which often dominate such movies is restrained and there are two only. The dance of the prostitutes is wonderful as it is Gulabji teasing Raj. The dance to celebrate the coming of Eid seems to me more typical of Bollywood but it has more meaning and less opulence than is typical.

The version on the DVD which I purchased mixes languages. There are passages spoken in English. I do not know if that is original or if this exists in all versions. Subtitles are necessary for me as I do not speak or understand Hindi, Sindhi, Punjabi or Urdu.

I have read since watching the movie that the primary stars are the current generation of acting dynasties. Ranbir Kapoor who plays Raj belongs to what is called The First Family of Bollywood. Sonam Kapoor who plays Sakina is Bollywood royalty. Rani Mukerji is the daughter of a director and singer, the sister of a producer and the niece of a great actress. Zohra Sehgal who plays Lilipop is a well-respected actress whose movie credits date back to the 1940s. It is an interesting tidbit that she is the first actress who has appeared in Doctor Who who has reached the age of 100 years old.

This is a wonderful movie in all ways. I sincerely do hope that all watch it!

Sansfin,

Your movie description sounds so interesting to me, since I just watched *Le Notti Bianche.*

The names of the actors certainly do sound familiar, bringing up memories of older generations of Indian actors for me.

I will definitely try to find a copy of the film so I can compare to the other film version of the Dostoevsky story. I also will look for the story itself. I can't say I will be able to find the film soon, but I will give it a shot. I've wanted to delve into Bollywood films anyway, but was overwhelmed with the number of choices.