Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

bon matin, m. le pirate!

Amazing all those years of apprenticeship for Bogart before he finally he became supreme in every film he made, beginning with High Sierra, which came shortly after this one. One would have thought that the essential appeal of Bogart would have been seen and put out there years before.

in a way it's like John Wayne's career, after learning and slogging it out, and finally getting a break-out A-List picture (The Big Trail for Wayne, The Petrified Forest for Bogie)---then some more grind work---along comes the right role and the right director; in Bogart's case, the Huston/Walsh connection with High Sierra (my personal favorite Bogart character by the way).

optimized-lupino-bogart-they-drive.jpg

You allude to Ann Sheridan. In the beginning she reacts to one of the guys who says, "I know what I want but it's not on the menu." Ann comes back with a smart retort. The exact same joke happened at the beginning of I Wake Up Screaming, this time with Carole Landis who dutifully comes up with the snappy return zinger. I know nothing of this actress but I thought she did pretty well.

I'm sure Joan Blondell, Eve Arden and a host of other brassy blondes were pros at using similar retorts, it's such a hallmark of old-moviedom.   :)   Actually, They Drive By Night's milieu reminds me of Man Power, a movie I enjoy even more (also with Raft, but co-stars are Dietrich and Edward G. Robinson).

Carole Landis' offscreen story is more lurid and tragic than anything she ever got to play in the movies.  Laird Cregar (who so excellently played Cornell) may have been her bete noir in I Wake Up Screaming, but actor Rex Harrison was the (final) matrix of her troubles in real life.  To make it even more lurid, the story of her death and his involvement in it as well as that of his wife, Lilli Palmer, is weirdly played out on screen in the 1951 movie starring Mr. and Mrs. Harrison, The Long Dark Hall.  Truth and fiction can both be pretty weird bedfellows in Hollywood.

carole_landis_carole_landis01_1Mfkrn0.si

Have you seen this one? A pretty good who-dunnit type story. Perceptive viewers will probably get this one, but since I am not, I of course missed it :-( . Not having seen Landis is one thing but what's my excuse for not having much (if anything) of Betty Grable? Sometimes we take the big stars for granted, not good, I was quite bowled over with her. She was not given Academy Award stuff to do but I though she was excellent nonetheless, something more than just a pretty face (and pretty it is, wow). Of course the swimming pool scene to show off her gams.

I thought Betty was good in the role and I really like her in general.  She had an air of not taking herself seriously that I liked, and took being a "triple threat" (competent dancer, singer, actress) with aplomb.  Easy to dismiss back then but I wonder how many actresses today could do it and entertain us half so well.

i-wake-up-screaming-betty-grable-carole-

Victor Mature is one of my absolute favorite actors. Women in the audience might think he has stuff to show off as well in that scene. Alan Mowbray was the only really familiar face of the supporting cast, I have seen him around.

I'm very fond of Vic's Mature charms. :D

You bet you have seen Alan, he was everywhere they needed either a roué, a snobby dinner guest or a butler.  Ford used him twice with comic pathos as a ham actor in both My Darling Clementine and Wagon Master, and of course, he was every bit up to the best of his stellar co-actors in My Man Godfrey, playing Powell's old Ivy League chum.

mowbray-merrily_opt.jpg

I don't have the name of the actor who played Cornell, but he was quite good, he seemed the type that could have really had a career, maybe he did for all I know. I was pretty much engaged with this throughout.

Laird Cregar excelled at intelligent, slightly disturbed villains; like a more intense Sydney Greenstreet.  He was effective in This Gun For Hire, Heaven Can Wait (as The Devil), Hangover Square (his last film) as well as the killer in one of the several versions of The Lodger.  He, too, had his career cut tragically short when he passed away at age 31.

Laird-Cregar-Hangover.jpg

Oh yeah, can't forget good old Elisha Cook, Jr.

:)   I've recently been watching Magnum P.I. on Netflix (I never cared for it in its initial run) and it was a pleasant surprise to see Elisha in later years with a really plumby recurring role as "Ice Pick"---a guy who is of course on the the shady side of the law----but after decades of being the "little guy" who usually didn't survive to the last reel, he's finally calling the shots as a BIG time racketeer.

ELISHA-COOK3.jpg

I Wake Up Screaming was later remade as Vicki, starring Jeanne Crain, Jean Peters and Eliot Reid.  A much blander, glossier version, Richard Boone being the only interesting character in the juicy role of Cornell (but not as creepily effective as Cregar).

Vicki-1953-2.png

• Like 1

The station MOVIES has shown I Wake Up Screaming and Vicki a lot in the last month so I watched both a few times and of course compared them.    While I agree with the comments related to Vicki I think Jean Peters does a better job than Landis.    I was really impressed with Betty Grable starting in her first non-musical.    She had just the right amount of sweetness and innocents.    

The only thing I didn’t like about I Wake Up Screaming was the background music with Over The Rainbow playing every time Betty and Victor started to fall for each other.    That song just doesn’t fit a noir but of course, since this is an early 40’s film, they were not making a ‘dark’ picture on purpose.    But that song messes with the vibe of a crime \ noir film.

Spoiler Alert:

Also, seeing the film over 50 years later, after seeing many, many noir films with Elisha Cook Jr., I knew from the start he was the killer.  Of course with Vicki I knew who the killer was since I had already seen IWUS, but the ending may of come as more of a surprise if I had seen Vicki first,  since Aaron Spelling wasn’t known as a noir bad boy by me.      (and yes,  it is THAT Aaron Spelling).

• Like 1

I was really impressed with Betty Grable starting in her first non-musical.    She had just the right amount of sweetness and innocents.    

Hi James. I was too, though I didn't know this was her first non-musical. I don't anything about her, except her face, she's known for her gams, and she was in that movie with MM in the early 50s. I don't know what her popularity level was at the time of this movie, but I certainly didn't see any trace of specialness or prima donna syndrome, not that she would insert that into her character consciously but sometimes that sort of thing can seep through with big stars who are doing something different. She was so natural, she didn't have a big scene where she could ham it up and she didn't try to manufacture one, it was big part though and she went about with commitment for what it was and very professionally. I noticed the subtle facial changes when she was listening to what was being said to her, I thought she was wonderful in an almost breathtaking but ordinary way. And that face, so beautiful, she seemed so unaware of it, she was just a character in a story, no big deal, and she played it well.

The only thing I didn’t like about I Wake Up Screaming was the background music with Over The Rainbow playing every time Betty and Victor started to fall for each other.

I was wondering what was up with that too. Not only 'Over the Rainbow' but other standards playing in the background in that same style. At one point this music was on and one of the women, not sure who now, went over and shut off the radio and the music stopped. I made a note of that and meant to go back and see if the radio might have playing the other times as well. But I forgot about it. Could that have been the radio playing? I would almost hope so, because I agree, it seemed bizarre to have it there as a free-floating background film score.

Edited by laffite

SPOILER

HOUSE OF STRANGERS (1949) with EGR, Richard Conte, Susan Hayward, etc. This kept me entertained throughout. I know the Italian setting is important but I think EGR would have been better if he had dropped the accent. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes not, but in either case he he comes across as caricature and it diminishes the performance. I try to imagine him playing it straight and I like what I see in my mind's eye, he would be so much better just being the actor he is, sans accent. I think he could have made the required adjustments in retaining the essential character.. A pretty good screenplay, great repartee especially between Conte and Hayward. Few people are clever enough in real life to talk like that, but this is the movies and it sounds great. Luther Adler is so subservient early in the story and looks very meek, but he comes across ruthless later on and is totally believable in both modes. A really effective performance by a character actor. It's a feel-good moment when Conte looks up at the portrait and throws in the towel, he's going to move on. Our hero then finds himself in dire straights but the way he wiggles out of it is believable and makes for a terrific ending IMO.

-----

MissG, I want to second good Scott's appreciation for the photos and commentary. For some reason, I did not even see your post. I didn't scroll down far enough, I guess.

I've tried to get Vicki from Netflix for some time. It's usually on the VERY LONG WAIT list but sometime it will become available but then goes back on the waiting list before I can nab it. I would like to see it.

in a way it's like John Wayne's career, after learning and slogging it out, and finally getting a break-out A-List picture (The Big Trail for Wayne, The Petrified Forest for Bogie)---then some more grind work---along comes the right role and the right director; in Bogart's case, the Huston/Walsh connection with High Sierra (my personal favorite Bogart character by the way).

I was underwhelmed by HIgh Sierra, I'm a bit surprised that this would be your favorite considering his many roles. Not criticizing, admiring really, there is something in him in this film that I am evidently missing. I did like Ida a lot though.

I'm sure Joan Blondell, Eve Arden and a host of other brassy blondes were pros at using similar retorts, it's such a hallmark of old-moviedom.   :)

:) Oh, no doubt...I  only thought it a bit curious that this particular joke was used almost word for word and in consecutive movies that I had just watched.. I'm talking about the waitress not being on the menu, etc.  Of course it's a classic idea and a very amusing sort of thing, ha ... but should I even say that much, it's not the type of situation that flies today :-( .

You bet you have seen Alan, he was everywhere they needed either a roué, a snobby dinner guest or a butler.  Ford used him twice with comic pathos as a ham actor in both My Darling Clementine and Wagon Master, and of course, he was every bit up to the best of his stellar co-actors in My Man Godfrey, playing Powell's old Ivy League chum.

... and characters of the sort are often given amusing things to say, and they're are quite good in saying them.

Laird Cregar excelled at intelligent, slightly disturbed villains; like a more intense Sydney Greenstreet.  He was effective in This Gun For Hire, Heaven Can Wait (as The Devil), Hangover Square (his last film) as well as the killer in one of the several versions of The Lodger.  He, too, had his career cut tragically short when he passed away at age 31.

Great name. I was wondering why I had never seen him before because I thought him very good and with great promise. I had this same feeling for the lawyer in The Letter, forgive me for not looking up his name. Good actors with some screen presence who are very effective in a particular film but don't seem to be that ubiquitous. Often, as in this case, they died young (or something).

Interesting pic of Elisha, I never saw that series that he was in, bizarre to see him looking that old, though I know he lived a long time, almost to 100. I'm trying to imagine him sounding tough without the irony. :D

Thanks ...

:)

• 2 weeks later...

bonjour, lafitte!

I was underwhelmed by HIgh Sierra, I'm a bit surprised that this would be your favorite considering his many roles. Not criticizing, admiring really, there is something in him in this film that I am evidently missing. I did like Ida a lot though.

He's so tough yet vulnerable and he's playing a man out of his time which always appeals to me.  That's why I like him so much in this character.

TONIGHT: A rare, William Powell-Kay Francis pre-code, For the Defense, is airing at 8:00 (EST).  I have never seen it so I'm very excited, as I adore the pair in Jewel Robbery and One-Way Passage.  Director Cromwell is no slouch, either.

aaawatch15.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I vote with "underwhelmed by HIGH SIERRA" - it's just not a favorite Bogart for me.  Still, the vast majority of actors will never get to turn in such quality performances that have lasted 70 years - and probably will for decades to come.  (When WILL film fans stop watching HIGH SIERRA? 2050?  2250?  I dunno...)

And the Kay Francis-Wm Powell films are surprisingly pleasing.  Schmaltzy, clever and everything in between.  It's not like she wasn't capable of that with other actors, but somehow Wm Powell seemed to hand the keys to zany dialog, wild looks and sharp retorts to every actor and actress he was with.

I bet Kay could have scrunched her face up just like Myrna, in fact.  But who else was worth it?

• 1 month later...

Look at how pleasant you and the Mister are in this shot, Quiet Gal:

quietman40_zps1635307e.png

Little does one know how you are beforehand!:

quietman15_zpsaec22f77.jpg

quietman47_zps2b4d5cdb.jpg

quietman48_zps9eb6e410.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how you're a "lovely lady". :P

Actually, I know how lovely you are.  And your stubbornness is a big reason why.  Along with your kindness, your intelligence, your sense of humor, and your loving heart.  A very loving, Happy Birthday to my Quiet Gal. :wub:

OH for pizza sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha. I only now just saw this! I am sorry I missed it the other day, Mr. Grey.. but OH what a pleasant surprise. You bring me to tears!! (ha. Literally) Thank you for remembering, sir. 

And PS: you give me too much credit with your kind words sir.. . but meanwhile..  I have NO idea whatever do you MEAN about me being "stubborn"!! :P (oh who am I kidding.. for THAT one there is likely TOO much evidence against me!! ha) 

Thanks again for the lovely treat!! It means a lot to me, my dear (not DEAR, ha) friend. :D

Happy Birthday, Ro !!!

I might've picked up on this earlier but I didn't know who Quiet Gal was. Someone with a birthday, but who?  I guess I'm pretty bad about all the nicknames, etc.

I hope you're special day was a happy one, I'm sure it was. I hope every day is like that for you.

laffite

Thank you very kindly for the lovely wish, Mister Pirate. I do appreciate it. And yes.. it was a very nice birthday, made all the nicer by getting to extend it out until today here too. :) 

Meanwhile:  I didn't know who Quiet Gal was

HA! No worries there.. It IS a bit of a misleading nickname if  you don't know where it originated (as I tend to blab so much, I rarely if ever am called "quiet") :D

See if  you can guess the source by the pictures the Grey Dude posted. :D

Thank you very kindly for the lovely wish, Mister Pirate. I do appreciate it. And yes.. it was a very nice birthday, made all the nicer by getting to extend it out until today here too. :)

Meanwhile:  I didn't know who Quiet Gal was

HA! No worries there.. It IS a bit of a misleading nickname if  you don't know where it originated (as I tend to blab so much, I rarely if ever am called "quiet") :D

See if  you can guess the source by the pictures the Grey Dude posted. :D

Yep, not even a guess. Even Laffite knows that those were pictures from The Quiet Man. Wonderful post by Scott (the Grey Dude).

(...and  yet I think I know where the Grey comes from, something to do with resistance in seeing things in simple black and white, from some discussion long ago ...).

I think I know where the Grey comes from, something to do with resistance in seeing things in simple black and white, from some discussion long ago

Yes, it is a pretty constant theme in many of our "mudfights" ha.  He and I  have a pretty different scale for what falls into the "black and white" color line and what lands in the mushy gray middle. :D But hey.. that's what makes the world go around.

And makes for some very fun rumbles.. I mean rambles too ha.

He is decidedly more willing to allow for the "gray" to creep into most situations we discuss here, but I tend to view the world from a more "black and white" perspective. I know that there IS a"gray side" to life, in some situations. (and sometimes I even LIKE the gray.. I mean GREY, ha)  But I just have a pretty "black and white" list to define what makes UP the gray parts in life and what does not.  

I guess you could say I am an "absolutist" about what is and is not morally absolute. :)  and he tends to be an absolutist in not being "absolute" ha. :D

And although he and I see the world quite differently on many topics.. one thing we both agree on is mutual respect for other people's opinions. I think we both have a mutual understanding that we will not really ever change the other's mind.. and hey.. we can live with that. Because we are friends.. and it isn't about proving who is right or wrong. It's about understanding the other person's point of view and respecting it. We both like a good "chewy" chat.. and the things we DO have in common far outweigh our differences. 

Plus.. he's a good one to torture too. ha. If he gets TOO out of hand now and then or if he starts to sling a little mud at  me... I just stick him with my hatpin when he gets out of line. :D (and if THAT doesn't work.. my frozen rope is always at the ready) :D

I think I know where the Grey comes from, something to do with resistance in seeing things in simple black and white, from some discussion long ago

Yes, it is a pretty constant theme in many of our "mudfights" ha.  He and I  have a pretty different scale for what falls into the "black and white" color line and what lands in the mushy gray middle. :D But hey.. that's what makes the world go around.

And makes for some very fun rumbles.. I mean rambles too ha.

He is decidedly more willing to allow for the "gray" to creep into most situations we discuss here, but I tend to view the world from a more "black and white" perspective. I know that there IS a"gray side" to life, in some situations. (and sometimes I even LIKE the gray.. I mean GREY, ha)  But I just have a pretty "black and white" list to define what makes UP the gray parts in life and what does not.  

I guess you could say I am an "absolutist" about what is and is not morally absolute. :)  and he tends to be an absolutist in not being "absolute" ha. :D

And although he and I see the world quite differently on many topics.. one thing we both agree on is mutual respect for other people's opinions. I think we both have a mutual understanding that we will not really ever change the other's mind.. and hey.. we can live with that. Because we are friends.. and it isn't about proving who is right or wrong. It's about understanding the other person's point of view and respecting it. We both like a good "chewy" chat.. and the things we DO have in common far outweigh our differences. 

Plus.. he's a good one to torture too. ha. If he gets TOO out of hand now and then or if he starts to sling a little mud at  me... I just stick him with my hatpin when he gets out of line. :D (and if THAT doesn't work.. my frozen rope is always at the ready) :D

Ha, I wasn't even thinking about who was which in the grey/black-white thing but thanks for that entertaining overview. I'm not sure where I stand on the issue, probably lean towards the grey and yet realizing that black-white can be very appropriate as well. How's that for straddling the fence. No guts, that's me.

:D

• Like 1

THANK you Miss B, for the birthday wish! I did have a very nice day (and the cake was a brownie fudge cheesecake, and I am telling  you.. it was QUITE delightful indeed!) :D It was a small cheesecake (probably four servings if you cut it in regular sized pieces) ha. But it was so rich that we could only do TINY pieces so I was able to enjoy it a little at a time for three or four days.. just a little dab'l do ya. HA! (for about YEAR!) ha.

Oh me.. that brownie crust was so moist it was almost like pudding.. and the fudge was swirled all through the cheesecake. My goodness me, was it tasty.The kidling and I were at the grocery store on my birthday and she suggested we pick up a cake.. so we looked and I told her we were only going to get a small one.. so this is the one she picked out for me. (ha.. that kid has a GREAT eye for cheesecake, who knew??? Ha)  

I am very sorry to hear that you have not been feeling well. I hope you are MUCH much better now, little darlin'. 

Oh, and PS, ha.. the only thing the Duke could catch me "nipping" would be Dr. Pepper.. ha. (hopefully that won't be against regulations!) :D

So glad you had a wonderful day, ro!  Oh my gosh, brownie fudge cheesecake -- you mean you got that at a regular store and not The Cheesecake Factory?  I've got to move to your neck of the wooods, lol, definitely better food all around. (pizza, etc.)  Your kidlet is definitely a (chocolate) chip off the old block. 

Oh thank you, I'm coming out of my blah-dom, which had also produced anxiety-based stomach problems.  Frankly the weather here doesn't help;  I long for a true autumn and temperatures under 80 degrees, which for us would be cool.  I would love to spend the winter holidays in Woodstock, Vermont, one of my favorite "up North" places.

I lift a bottle of Dr. Pepper in your honor!

It was indeed a grocery store purchase, Miss B.. it came from their bakery, though. Not the freezer section. We have a couple of chains of stores here in KC that do offer a pretty nice selection that way, so i guess I am spoiled. ha .(though to be honest, we can rarely afford.. they can be pricey.. so not TOO spoiled, ha) 

I am glad you are feeling better and will hope you can get at least a LITTLE taste of fall out your way, somehow. We  got more than a little taste this weekend.. we had temps in the mid THIRTIES Friday night into Saturday. Woo! And I had a campout w/ the girls in our scouting  ministry (from our church) that I am a part of, so ha.. it was quite the "cold weather" event.. forty little girls and lots of coats, hats, gloves, and blankets. :D  We had a great time, though, but it WAS a bit chilly (ha.. oh who am I kidding.. it was COLD!!) 

Here is an early morning pic.. the sun was just coming  up. Not too many fall colors showing up yet, but maybe you can see the mist on the lake. (PS: this is the kidling and two of her tent buddies... the kidling is on the right) 

046_zps9828e2f7.jpg

Meanwhile.. here is some "inspiration" to help you get into the "Fall" spirit:

Wayne & Wanda put me in the spirit, ha!

Your daughter is growing!  For some reason I thought she was younger.  Such an evocative photo -- beautiful, I can almost see the mist and feel the cold -- ahhhh!  We were down to 80 today -- that's our autumn, lol.

Our bakeries cannot compare to yours.  Plus you've got all that great bbq.  I'm going to have to move to KC for the food alone. 

I'm starting to perk up a bit, thanks.  However, we're still in hurricane season until the end of November so my mood is not completely lifted. 

I'm told a couple of otters were seen frolicking near my building's pond.  No alligator sightings, thank heavens. 

But we've been invaded by mutant snails.

Just another day in paradise!

Hello Miss B

I'm going to have to move to KC for the food alone.

Well come on out, little darlin'. We'll hit all the BBQ joints in town and we'll sample all the baked goods. ha. :) 

I'm starting to perk up a bit, thanks.  However, we're still in hurricane season until the end of November so my mood is not completely lifted.

I am glad you are perking.. but agh.. do be careful w/ the hurricanes out there. Batten down those hatches and stay safe, kid. Will hope it is a short and easy season for that this year. 

Your daughter is growing!  For some reason I thought she was younger.

So did I.. and then one day I looked and she was ELEVEN yrs old! (ha) Oh me, I don't know how we got there already, but we are definitely THERE. ha. (at least we still have a little while yet before we hit that teenage thing.. agh! I don't even want to think about it! ) :D

I can almost see the mist and feel the cold -- ahhhh!  We were down to 80 today -- that's our autumn, lol.

I can't take the muggy heat too long. (it is almost worse to me than the bitter cold) That is one thing for Missouri.. we get a broad range of weather.. a little of this.. a little of that.. some more of something else.. ha. Sometimes all in the same day (this time of year, anyway) :D

a couple of otters were seen frolicking near my building's pond.  No alligator sightings, thank heavens.

Oh I bet the otters would be fun to watch. They are so playful. But ha. am glad to hear there were no alligators. Agh.. we don't  have THOSE here at least.. but we DO have snakes. I had one on my front door step yesterday. (out sunning himself on the concrete slab in front of the door.. oh me, I do hate those guys.) I even had one (are you ready for this??) In my DISHWASHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not kidding. A few weeks ago, I was about to load some dishes and I opened it up and this tiny little squirmy THING plopped from the door onto the top rack and wound itself around the dishrack. It was just a baby.. about 10 or 12 inches long and about as big around as a pencil. (white belly, dark greenish back w/ a brown stripe) I have NO idea where he came from or how he got in. But there he was. And I about came unglued!!!!!!!!!!! I was tempted to just shut the door and wait for the QT to come home, but I was afraid he'd get out and go somewhere else and I did NOT want him to surprise me again.  So I got the broom and the dustpan.. and held the dustpan up to him and waited to see what he would do. He finally got curious and squiggled down onto the dustpan. Then I SLAPPED the broom down on top of him and held him down.. ha..  and carried him outside and chucked him over the fence (near the street) OH me, oh MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was quite an eventful day at Casa de Ro, I don't mind telling you. HA. :D  

So far.. no sign of any of his brothers or sisters coming back for revenge... ha.

Unless that was one of them on the front porch yesterday.. perish the thought. HA!  :D

mutant snails

Ha.. mutant.. scary. I think I'll tough it out with the baby snakes.. so long as I keep my broom and dustpan at the ready. :) 

Wayne & Wanda put me in the spirit, ha

Ha.. that is what my back yard is starting to look like, after some of the storms we had last week. We have about 30 trees in our back yard (big back yard) and several of them are really starting to look nice, w/ the leaves changing. But we did get a a lot coming down w/ the wind last week. We're expecting another round of rain tomorrow.. if we get wind too.. we'll definitely have more 'falling leaves" again. (But hopefully they won't come down in QUITE as big a "clump" as poor Wayne and Wanda had, ha)  

Meanwhile.. I am thinking I need to go watch Shepherd of the Hills now or something. It is not necessarily a "Fall" movie.. but all this talk of trees and leaves is making me wish for the Ozarks right now. ha. :D

OMG -- All I can say right now is that I'm glad I don't have a dishwasher, because I would be completely freaking out, lol.  I can barely WRITE the word s-n-a-k-e, much less think about them in a kitchen appliance!  I'm always inadvertently reading or hearing stories of people finding s-n-a-k-e-s in the toilet, or curled up behind pipes, and it's usually in Australia.  But the Aussies seem so laid-back about it.  I watch these home reno shows and the locals don't seem to be too upset, I guess because they also have to deal with those ugly-arse cane toads.   Thankfully I haven't yet come into contact with the you-know-whats, but there are surprisingly a lot of squirrels around my area.  Did I tell you about the one that chased me into the elevator?  I was going outside with garbage to put in the bin when a little Chip or Dale came scurrying up in front of me with a scary look on its face and so I high-tailed it so to speak back upstairs (I'm on the third floor) Took the bag with me.  I'm so ashamed of my wussiness.  But I waited until the next day to throw my stuff out, because if I had dumped it later that night, the raccoons would've been waiting for me.

The school I work at is located near a canal.  That means alligators.  There were rumors of one roaming around our parking lot several years ago.  We also have buzzards, scads of iguanas, enoles, and other assorted lizards.   There is a phantom black cat prowling near my apartment complex.  It's a jungle out there, I tell you!

Whew, let me get my composure back, lol.....Can I visit KC this weekend and go to Arthur Bryant's with you?  I'd finally get a chance to wear a coat and some fashion-forward suede boots.

Yes, interesting times ahead with the kidling.  Has she read Little Women yet?  That's mandatory!

You and the family stay safe too -- I worry about all your beautiful trees whenever I hear about heavy storms or tornadoes in the mid-west.

I'm in an autumn mood as well.  I've never seen SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS.  Maybe I'll just watch some old Thriller episodes on YouTube to get in that Halloweeny spirit.  And of course "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown".   The home shopping channels, however, are really driving me nuts -- Christmas started in July and hasn't stopped. 

I'm still chasing my warm, sunny, south of France dreams.  But for now the closest I can get is BONJOUR TRISTESSE or TO CATCH A THIEF.

I'm glad I don't have a dishwasher, because I would be completely freaking out

Ha.. well I do confess that I DID have to fight down the urge to just slam the door on that dishwasher and run screaming from the house out into the street. ha. :D   If I had found an elephant in there, I don't think I would have been MUCH more surprised. ha. (ok.. yes.. maybe I would have been a LITTLE more surprised.. because and elephant couldn't FIT in there.. but you get the idea. ha)

I have no idea how he managed to get there, but I can tell you I was very nervous opening my kitchen cabinets and pulling out pans, bowls, etc for quite some time after that. I was worried he'd have brothers or sisters, or aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.. just hanging out waiting to scare me out of my mind.. ha. (or what little mind I had left (after finding the first one, ha) 

Hopefully this was all just some freakish.. isolated.. completely random.. and NEVER to be repeated kinda thing.  Either that.. or I am going to have to call some kinda "snake wrangler" ha. (there is only so much room on top of my dustpan.. so one baby snake is all I can handle. :D

there are surprisingly a lot of squirrels around my area.  Did I tell you about the one that chased me into the elevator?  I was going outside with garbage to put in the bin when a little Chip or Dale came scurrying up in front of me with a scary look on its face and so I high-tailed it so to speak back upstairs (I'm on the third floor) Took the bag with me.  I'm so ashamed of my wussiness.  But I waited until the next day to throw my stuff out, because if I had dumped it later that night, the raccoons would've been waiting for me.

Ha.. we have the squirrels here too. Our dog loves to track them all over the yard.. he goes from tree to tree, in a straight line all over the yard, tracking "ghost squirrels" ha.. they have long since moved on after he is tracking them.. but he'll get to the bottom of a tree look up and bark his fool head off.. then nose to the ground.. start following the next trail to the next tree.. where he stops.. looks up, and barks all over again. it is quite comical. I swear the squirrels are probably all up on the power lines and roof tops looking down at him and making fun of the dopey cocker spaniel. ha.  (but hey.. it's free entertainment for humans too.. just to watch him go through his ritual) :D

And be careful taking out that trash.. I used to live in an apartment complex way back in the late 80's.. long before I married the  QT. The trashcans were stored in this little fenced in area and never had any lids on them.. And it was very easy to just toss my trashbag over the fence and it would land in the trashcan.  Well. late one night I ALMOST tossed my trashbag over the fence surrounding the trash area.. into a trashcan filled with at least TWO (count 'em TWO) skunks!!!!!!!! Fortunately, I saw a third skunk waddling out from under the fence (headed in the opposite direction) just as I was swinging the trashbag over my shoulder to let go.. I stopped myself and turned and ran the other way.. ha.. before the skunk had a chance to even realize I was there.  I ran back to my apartment and stood on my front step to look back to see if I could still see him.. but he had waddled out around the fence and off in the other direction toward the street (thank goodness) but  that is when I saw there were the other two coming out of the top of the trash can. After that I decided to only take my trash out in the BRIGHT daylight. ha.. And I stood WELL away from the cans when I tossed the bag over the top. ha

The school I work at is located near a canal.  That means alligators.  There were rumors of one roaming around our parking lot several years ago.  We also have buzzards, scads of iguanas, enoles, and other assorted lizards.   There is a phantom black cat prowling near my apartment complex.  It's a jungle out there, I tell you

Good gravy.. it sounds like Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom out there. ha And ever so much more hazardous than my itsy bitsy snake story and my trash-skunk story combined.. ha  You be careful out there, little missy. :)

Can I visit KC this weekend and go to Arthur Bryant's with you?  I'd finally get a chance to wear a coat and some fashion-forward suede boots.

You and your fall wardrobe are welcome anytime, youngun. ha.  (but PS.. don't tell Art.. but I think Gates is better than Bryants. But if you really wanna know.. ha.. the one I like the VERY best is Zarda) :)

Has she read Little Women yet?  That's mandatory!

She has not read it yet.. but it is on our list of books for later this year. (right now she is studying Laura Ingalls Wilder.. she had to read a biography on her and then read three of her books..  but she will be moving on to Louisa May Alcott after Christmas break so she'll get to read LW then) She has seen the movie (the June Allyson version) which she seemed to like a lot, so I am excited for her to read it.. I was just about her age when I read it the first time too. I hope she enjoys it. 

You and the family stay safe too -- I worry about all your beautiful trees whenever I hear about heavy storms or tornadoes in the mid-west.

Thanks, ma'am. All is well. (and ps.. the trees are an ongoing thing.. they take a hit now and then and the QT just trims off the broken branches and cuts them up for fire wood (for the backyard fireplace) One Spring we got a really bad series of storms and we had wood a plenty for a long time to come. ha. But nothing too much in the way of heavy winds lately. Just a boatload of rain the last couple of days.. I think we may need to cut down some of the trees and build an ark soon, if it doesn't let up. ha. :D

And of course "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown".  

He's an annual favorite around these parts. The kidling is a big fan.

home shopping channels, however, are really driving me nuts -- Christmas started in July and hasn't stopped.

I stay away from those channels.. ha. they give me a headache.

I'm still chasing my warm, sunny, south of France dreams.

Someday kid.. you'll get there. For now, only in your dreams.. but still that's something. :)

I've never seen SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS.

Here ya go, little gal.. 

I L-O-V-E love it. ha. Not sure if it would be your cup of tea or not. but it's a very good story. It's very sweet in places.. very "old timey" in others.. very gripping and poignant still in others.  (and OH that Beulah Bondi.. what a mean hold hag SHE was) :)

Aloha, La Babette!

I second Ms Snake-Wrangler's (has Adolphe shown up yet? :D ) recommendation of THE SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS.  It's unbelievably beautiful scenery, the Duke is divine in suspenders, Betty Field is young and spry and I'm just wild about Harry (Carey, Sr.) in a leading role.  There is a touch of spirituality about the movie, about the earth and earthy folk.  I don't think you will be disappointed by it.  It was made in one Henry Hathaway's rare fits of genuine artistic sensitivity.

• Like 1