Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well ALOHA Island Girlie.. so very happy to see YOUR name on the board today, Little Missy. :) 

has Adolphe shown up yet?

Ha! That must have been him in the dishwasher!! I didn't recognize him without his little portable "snake hut" ha. :D

THE SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS.  It's unbelievably beautiful scenery, the Duke is divine in suspenders, Betty Field is young and spry and I'm just wild about Harry (Carey, Sr.) in a leading role.

You are spot on with all three. (ha.. even the suspenders!) :)  Harry Carey Sr. is the perfect fit for this story.. he just seems exactly as his character.. very believable, in his regret.. his determination.. and the feelings he has toward his lost sweetheart and.. someone who shall remain nameless, at the risk of spoilage.. ha. But it really is a wonderful role for him. 

There is a touch of spirituality about the movie, about the earth and earthy folk.

Perfectly said, youngun. There are some really great "folks" (good and bad, superstitious and faithful, wise and foolish) all throughout the story.. some that are driving the plot,  and some that are just "sprinkled in" for atmosphere. It is a great mix. 

Bronxie.. I hope you will give it a try! 

ro, I'm going to check Gates' menu online.  Then I'll change my work schedule and meet you in Kansas City, lol.

Love your cocker spaniel with the squirrels, ha!  I live in a gated community, but the animals just crawl, slither, and in general, er, worm their way in.  No I.D. needed.  You might remember the alligator who inadvertently rang a doorbell because it smelled bbq and wanted to join the party....

Aloha, Miss G.!! Oh, my gosh, I was watching BLUE HAWAII the other day and thought of you!   I looked up SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS -- terrific cast -- I love Harry Sr. too, will definitely check this one out, thanks to you both!

• Like 1

Come on out anytime, Miss B.. Casa de Ro is always here for  you. ha. (and some BBQ sounds good. Haven't had it in an while) 

OH.. and if  you come over winter time..  maybe you can finally give me that home makeover we always talked about and you'll finally be able get me to get rid of my sweet little cast iron beauty (faux fireplace space heater) Because you know...  winter time's a comin'. It's almost time to take that thing out of storage and plug that baby in!  HA!   :D

Hope you'll chime in on your thoughts on SOTH. I need to rewatch again, myself, after all this talk. 

Ro, gracias!  I'll bring a carton of Florida grapefruit along with cookies in the shape of alligators.

At Gates I'm ordering chili cheese fries, burnt ends, The President's Plate (sounds impressive) and yammer pie! (don't know what it is, but sounds terrific.  Could it be a dessert that's so good, you stop talking?)

I know you love your cast iron baby, but think about a Provencal or Tuscan-style faux fireplace!  Don't worry, my horoscope says I'm going to win Lotto before Christmas so I'll buy it for you.

I'm going to watch SOTH over the weekend and will report back!

• Like 1

I'll bring a carton of Florida grapefruit along with cookies in the shape of alligators.

HA!  Now that is quite a combination! (I will look forward to it for sure!) 

At Gates I'm ordering chili cheese fries, burnt ends, The President's Plate (sounds impressive) and yammer pie! (don't know what it is, but sounds terrific.  Could it be a dessert that's so good, you stop talking?)

I THINK Yammer Pie is a Sweet Potato Pie.. ha. I have never tried it but maybe it is so good you CAN"T stop talking and you just "yammer" on and on and on about it. :D

I didn't see the President's Plate on their menu.. but I agree.. it DOES sound impressive. Can I tell you I have NEVER ever eaten in their restaurant.. but HAVE had their food (at different places where it was catered) Their beans are quite good.. they are sold in some of the grocery places here. I buy their sauce sometimes at the grocery store too. Very good. 

Zarda is still my favorite though.. it really just has a better sauce (for my money) We don't get out that way too often, but I do enjoy their food. (and you can buy their products in some of the stores here too) 

There is also a VERY good place very near where we lived called Jack Stack BBQ and it would probably be on my list of faves as well. Alas it is higher priced than some (at least that I have seen) so we don't get to go too often.. but oh me.. they do have a quite wonderful pulled pork .

OH.. and I love your remodeling ideas for a new "fireplace" Good luck on your lotto! :D

Will look forward to hearing from you on SOTH, youngun. I will try to rewatch soon too. :)

• 5 months later...

HELLO Miss G.. just had to pop in here and say how much I enjoyed watching The Whales of August this evening. (thanks, TCM programming gurus.. nice call) I had heard of this film in the past, but it was when it first came out and I don't know why, but I never saw it way back when.. and more or less just forgot about it until I saw it on tonight's schedule.

The conversations, back and forth, between the two sisters reminded me so much of the ones I sometimes heard between my dearly departed Grandma and Aunt Daisy. (My mom's mom and her sister) They lived together pretty much all of my mom's growing up years and into their latter years of life as well. Aunt Daisy was the oldest and had more or less finished raising my Grandma (when their mother died when Grandma was still a young girl) and oh me, how they could bicker sometimes in their older years.. but still there was great affection between them too.

Maybe that is why I enjoyed this film so much because at one point or another I saw both of them in each of the two main characters. (ha.. or maybe I enjoyed it because I am getting to be an old gal myself and all of a sudden I can relate.. ha) Who knows?? :D

Whatever the reason, I loved the entire cast..  Miss Gish, Miss Davis, Miss Sothern.. AND Mr. Price.. oh me, oh my (I think he was my favorite) and a nice role for Harry Carey Jr. too.. all together a very good story. 

HELLO Miss G.. just had to pop in here and say how much I enjoyed watching The Whales of August this evening. (thanks, TCM programming gurus.. nice call) I had heard of this film in the past, but it was when it first came out and I don't know why, but I never saw it way back when.. and more or less just forgot about it until I saw it on tonight's schedule.

The conversations, back and forth, between the two sisters reminded me so much of the ones I sometimes heard between my dearly departed Grandma and Aunt Daisy. (My mom's mom and her sister) They lived together pretty much all of my mom's growing up years and into their latter years of life as well. Aunt Daisy was the oldest and had more or less finished raising my Grandma (when their mother died when Grandma was still a young girl) and oh me, how they could bicker sometimes in their older years.. but still there was great affection between them too.

Maybe that is why I enjoyed this film so much because at one point or another I saw both of them in each of the two main characters. (ha.. or maybe I enjoyed it because I am getting to be an old gal myself and all of a sudden I can relate.. ha) Who knows?? :D

Whatever the reason, I loved the entire cast..  Miss Gish, Miss Davis, Miss Sothern.. AND Mr. Price.. oh me, oh my (I think he was my favorite) and a nice role for Harry Carey Jr. too.. all together a very good story. 

Hello, Ro!

I wish I had watched Whales of August, I never have.  It's such a marvelous cast, isn't it?  I can see how you'd like it if the characters reminded you of your Grandmother and Aunty Daisy.  They sound like quite a pair!  I envy that you had characters like that in your family and got to know them.

But you, ma'am, are very far from that stage of life.  :D

Miss G says: 

I wish I had watched Whales of August, I never have.  It's such a marvelous cast, isn't it? 

I hope you get a chance to set it sometime, little darlin'.  It is very enjoyable to see all those folks together at the ages they were when they made this film.. and the whole movie is just THEM. The entire story takes place over a couple of days so it is pretty much told in real time, no real "action" just a lot of talking about what is going on as you get a glimpse into their "day". They are carrying all the dialogue and the entire story at the same time.  It is sweet (but not sugary), endearing, funny, and also very touching and quite emotional in places.  It really is something special. 

There is an ongoing bit about a "picture window" in the story (and how the two sisters disagree about putting one in their house or not) and really.. this whole story is like looking out a picture window (or rather.. looking into one) and just watching a little slice of their life.  It is almost as if I were just standing there watching them (and listening in) through the window. And I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the concept. It's not a plot-driven story so much as it is almost like "eavesdropping" on two old ladies and the people that drop by to see them over the course of a day or two. Ha. (I am such a nosey neighbor.. who knew??)  

I can see how you'd like it if the characters reminded you of your Grandmother and Aunty Daisy.  They sound like quite a pair!  I envy that you had characters like that in your family and got to know them.

They were quite a pair. I have a lot of fond memories visiting them all throughout my childhood.

But you, ma'am, are very far from that stage of life. 

Ha.. alas, I fear I am getting closer every day.. but it is still nice of  you to say. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well hello there, my Ramblin' friends.  :)

Miss G.. hope you don't mind if I stop in for a while and gab a bit about a movie I decided to revisit (for the first time in years and YEARS) and it's all because of a chat we started over in the "Walk on the Noir Side" thread about one of  the films in the Summer of Darkness series.

A couple of weeks ago, TCM showed The Set-Up staring Robert Ryan. And one of the things I said as a part of our conversation on that one is that it reminded me a little bit of the film Rocky. And so as one thing often leads to another, I began to think about that film a bit and remember some things that I enjoyed about it all, so I decided to revisit it once again just for fun.

Now, as I mentioned, it has been a very long time since I last saw Rocky. And since that time, this movie (and the subsequent other Rocky's that all came as a result of the original) have almost become the stuff of film legend now. But woo, the first time I remember hearing about Rocky was waayyyyyy (so very way) back when I was a kid in Jr. High (ha.. and yes, I know.. yes.. it was practically when dinosaurs ruled the earth.. but not quite) And  it was all brand new then. Neither Rocky Balboa nor Sylvester Stallone,  for that matter were the household names they were eventually to become. And to me.. that makes it even better. Because the first time I saw it was BEFORE the "hype" before the "label" that we see so often in movie memorabilia. Back before Rocky became ROCKY, ha.

And now.. after seeing it again for the first time in decades, I am glad to say that I still got the same feelings for the character and the story that I did so long ago. I just forgot about the 'hype' and let myself enjoy what is truly a very good and inspiring story. 

And that is saying something, ha. Because I am no huge fan of boxing. But the nice thing is, this movie really is not about boxing. And it's not about the "Rocky" persona that has sort of taken over for that character over the years  (at least for me) either. And this is pretty important to understand because if you just look at the film as a "boxing story" or if you buy into that whole "iconic" Rocky persona.. something really special about this film will be lost (again, at least in my perspective). 

One of the best lines in the whole movie comes from one of Apollo Creed's men (during the big boxing match) when he says something like, "He doesn't know it's a show, he thinks it's a fight"  And for Rocky, that's what it really WAS. But his goal wasn't to win the title.. it was to win his own battle against himself. and the life he'd allowed himself to sink into. By staying in for the whole fight and showing that he DID have more to him than what everyone was expecting, he was fighting himself as much as he was fighting Apollo Creed. 

And for him the victory would be in proving to himself that he was NOT the guy everyone always thought he was before. (not just another "bum from the neighborhood")  

Inside that black leather jacket.. underneath that tough guy exterior beat the heart of a really decent guy who just wanted to BE a decent guy. And he just wanted a break.. just one, so that he could look at himself in the mirror without knowing he was failing at all the things that matter to him most. He was a guy who just sort of ended up on the average end of things most of his life (or worse yet, on the LOWER end of things.) He LOOKED like a two bit thug and that is pretty much what most folks thought he was. And he had allowed himself to become the sort of person he really did not WANT to be just to make ends meet.

He wore the tough guy clothes, he talked the talk.. he even walked the walk. (Ok.. maybe part of that was only because it was how he really talked and walked.. literally. ha)  But there was so much more to him than met they eye. From all outward appearances, he WAS the tough guy he appeared to be without much depth of character and few redeeming qualities.  Except he wasn't tough, at least not in the way that some folks count "toughness". Even his job (as a loan shark's collector)  was not really an indication of who HE was as a person. When he wasn't boxing he was out there knocking guys around, and roughing them up for the money they owed his boss.. but he wasn't as good at that as he SHOULD have been for the way he appeared to be.. because his heart just wasn't in it. And he had PLENTY of redeeming qualities.. once you looked deeper than the surface of  the guy that he appeared to be.  

I really liked the way he showed who his love for Adrian. She was the sort of person who needed to be seen for more than what she appeared as well. Even though she was the last sort of person you'd expect a guy like "him" to go for, she was JUST right for the person he really was inside.

And the way her character is used in the story is terrific, because she was the perfect person to bring out the qualities that you needed to see in him in order to understand even better that he wasn't a "guy like him". He was a real person with real human emotion and true depth of character. 

And THAT is what makes Rocky such a good film.  I am glad I got the chance to see it all again after such a long time because it was a good reminder for all the things I LIKE about the film (instead of all the things I lost interest in later on) Oh sure.. it's FILLED with boxing.. but it is NOT a boxing movie. And it's not a "tough guy" movie either. Even though there is a LOT of that sort of thing going on all throughout the film. The REAL story is about how Rocky overcomes everything, especially about himself to stick with the fight and show everyone he was BETTER than they ever knew or expected.

Everyone except for Adrian of course. She might have doubted him at first, but once she gave him a chance, she knew it all along. 

"YO.. Adrian!!"  :D

Sorry to be so long winded here, ha. There is so much more I could say about this movie.. and there are some really great characters that are worth mentioning too (And woo.. the relationship between Adrian and her brother.. oh me.. that could be a whole "ramble" in and of itself, ha.) but leave it to me to have already "gabbed and blabbed" more than enough for a while, I am sure. So I will stop here for how and just say thanks for letting me gab. :D

• Like 2

Well hello there Ro!

Nice to see someone ramblin' in the Rambles again. I haven't seen Rocky since it first came out so yes it has been a long time. Too long for me to try and get into the details of it. I do really like what you wrote here. You bring out the heart of the film and the heart of Rocky himself. 

Your write up really makes me want to see the film again. :)

• Like 1

I agree with Larry, your post was splendid, Ro.  It may even make me watch Rocky the next time it comes on TV.  I will have to surmount my long standing aversion to Stallone, but I'm sure it will be worth it.  :)

• Like 1

Hello there Molo and Miss G! Thanks for your kind comments on my post. I hope you both get to see this one sometime. (especially.. Miss G, if you've never seen it) I would be very interested in hearing your perspectives on it all.

And Miss G.. I am with you on Sylvester Stallone. He is not a big fave for me, though I confess I have only seen him just a handful of movies. But he was "younger and hungrier" as an actor when this movie was made, ha. so I think that is why I was able to really enjoy him so much,  before he got such a household name.  It's a great story and you really get a chance to see him at his best (at least from any of the other films I have seen from him) 

And as a side note, I will add that there are just so many other things (besides him) to like about the way this story is told. One thing I like a lot about it is that all the additional characters in this film all have a "story" to tell themselves. You don't really get to see or hear that much about their personal lives and how they ended up the  way they did, perhaps (it really is a "Rocky-centric" sort of tale, that way, ha)  but you do get some good glimpses of who they are as individual people (and why they are the way they are) by the dialogue that passes back and forth. 

I especially love Burgess Meredith in this movie.. he is very much playing a "type" of character perhaps, but he does a great job. And Carl Weathers as Apollo Creed doesn't get as much time in the film as he maybe should.. he was terrific. You really get to see how he's become a"business" man rather than a "boxer" by all the wheeling and dealing and marketing ploys he is caught up in. It's an interesting point of view for what it must be like for a lot of professional athletes once they make a name for themselves. And I mentioned in my first post.. the relationship between Adrian and her brother, Paulie.. oh me.. you could have made the whole movie just about THAT and it would have been a very powerful story, ha. It really was SOMETHING to watch her come out of her shell as she began to trust Rocky and his affection.. and eventually his love... for her. 

All in all, just a really good movie. I found a copy of it at the library to rewatch this time, so maybe you won't have too hard a time finding it, if you decide to go looking. :) 

• Like 1

You've definitely sold me on it, Ro!  The bit parts and the love story sound right up my alley.

Favorite boxing movies (in no particular order):

Body and Soul

Right Cross

Cinderella Man

The Set-Up

The Champ

Champion

Golden Boy

The Prizefighter and The Lady

Somebody Up There Likes Me

Requiem For A Heavyweight

The Quiet Man (ha---one scene, anyway)

The Harder They Fall

99 River Street

I'm probably missing a few, there are so many.  I've never seen Raging Bull.  I'm just not into Bobby D except in the odd flick (The Last Tycoon, Analyze This).  I even prefer Godfather II to the first.

Oh I hope you enjoy it, Miss G! you definitely have seen WAY more boxing movies than I have, ha. I will take that as a good sign that I expect you will at least find some things to like about Rocky. 

Favorite boxing movies (in no particular order)

Woo, look at YOU! ha. Some of these I have never even heard of, but most of them I have. I think I have only seen just a very small few. Aside from The Set-Up, I MAY have only seen.. ha. the obvious one (My beloved TQM) 

I have seen portions of a few of them.. and hmmm.... I think I even OWN a copy of Cinderella Man. (maybe?) I remember buying it probably 3 or more years ago in a bargain bin because I saw it sitting there and I remembered you had said you enjoyed it and I thought I would give it a try. But golly.. I have no idea what happened to it (except I know I never did watch it) Now I need to go dig it up (ha.. or out.. ha.. from under some stack of stuff, I am sure) and give it a try.

The Grey Dude mentioned Raging Bull to me a few weeks ago. I have never seen it either (because I am NOT that huge a boxing fan and that one does look more like a "boxing" story.. at least to me. But maybe I will give it a try just to see.

As for Bobby D.. I do enjoy a few of his films. He's pretty good in pretty much anything that I have seen of his, over the years but I can't say I like every movie.

I think my most fave role for him would be as Al Capone in The Untouchables. Wow.. what a performance. (but really.. Sean Connery stole THAT show) I also like DeNiro in a few where he is not playing such a "tough guy" role.. especially liked him in Awakenings, Stanley and Iris, and A Bronx Tale. I have seen probably another 5 or 6 more that he was in that I could recall right now, but those few would be the ones I probably think stand out most for me. 

City for Conquest with James Cagney and Ann Sheridan is a favorite of mine. I've never seen The Harder They Fall which was Bogart's last picture. I've been meaning to get around to that one.

Here is a random poll for everyone.

Who would you least like to take a boat ride with?

George Eastman (Montgomery Clift)

12a32439-f7cb-4215-a752-bc44145b9dfb.jpg

Jane Palmer (Lizabeth Scott)

6d8d8aad-faa5-4a29-90ec-48f86717ec03.jpg

Alec Holmes (Tyrone Power)

Abandon20ship.jpg

Ellen Berent Harland (Gene Tierney)

57b07b96-a6ec-4995-a85a-40afe1032d20.png

The Man (George O'Brien)

64b81dcc-7fd8-4ee9-928e-65262425097a.jpg

Constance Porter (Tallulah Bankhead)

Lifeboat2.jpg

Who would you least like to take a boat ride with?

Well.. I can only comment on two (between Ellen and Alec) since I don't think I have seen any of the other movies. But if I had to choose who I would LEAST like to ride with.. between the two I mentioned I would say.. Alec!  

Yeah.. I know he's Tyrone Power and he's cute, and all that. ha. But I think I could take Ellen in a fight (since I have more than  few pounds on her, HA!) And if I HAD to get out of the boat.. at least she was only in a lake and I could probably dog paddle far enough, if I had to swim for it ha. That ocean was way TOO big. If Alec put me out. I would never make it. :D

Having said that.. I think I am too much of a "land lubber" ha. I would probably never be out there in the first place. I am more of a back yard "wading pool" kinda gal. ha. Or better yet, I 'll  just run through the sprinkler. Now you're talking. :D

OH wait.. I am editing my post because I just realized.. I have seen one more. ha. (Sunrise) Hmmm.. But I think I will still go with Alec being my least likely choice.  That Tyrone Power is one tough guy when he wants to be. ha. And besides, the only "Man" I would row in a boat with to town would be my beloved QT and ha.. and I already know he is a good guy. TOTAL White Hat all the way. (ha.. Mr. Grey.. he makes me look like a walk in the park in that department)  and I can absolutely say that if any "woman from the city" ever came around to taunt him.. he'd send that floozy packing in a heartbeat. ha.  And I should add that I say all that to HIS credit, not mine,  as alas, I know I am no great prize. But I am glad he loves me as I am. I mentioned the other day in the Noir thread that I am likely married to the only person on the planet who loves me enough to put up with me. And, ha, now I'll add.. he loves me enough to put up with me, even in a BOAT. ha) :D

Edited by rohanaka

Ha! I had forgotten about this.

I would have to say Alec too. I would probably end up tossed overboard pretty quickly.

George Eastman was a waffler and an opportunist as far as I can remember.

I don't see me ending up in a boat with him or Man.

I'm not sure what I could say to Jane Palmer to keep her from shooting me! Maybe Hey I have another 50,000 stashed away in a secret place from the last guy I blackmailed! That could buy me some time.

Frank, I think you and I both would be in trouble with Ellen. If we swim away she would probably just bop us in the head with one of her oars.

I guess I could survive with Constance. Maybe.

So it looks like an overwhelming unanimous four vote landslide for Alec Holmes!  :)

Ha! I had forgotten about this.

I would have to say Alec too. I would probably end up tossed overboard pretty quickly.

George Eastman was a waffler and an opportunist as far as I can remember.

I don't see me ending up in a boat with him or Man.

I'm not sure what I could say to Jane Palmer to keep her from shooting me! Maybe Hey I have another 50,000 stashed away in a secret place from the last guy I blackmailed! That could buy me some time.

Frank, I think you and I both would be in trouble with Ellen. If we swim away she would probably just bop us in the head with one of her oars.

I guess I could survive with Constance. Maybe.

So it looks like an overwhelming unanimous four vote landslide for Alec Holmes!  :)

Well not to be a contrarian but I would have to pick Ellen.   If I had to go I would want to see that lovely face even if she was hitting me over the head with an oar!  

• 2 months later...

marykate-1.jpg

Goodbye, Sweet Maureen.. always a favorite and lovely in every way. 

And saying a goodbye to my own dear Grandma today as well. You were dearly loved, and will be truly missed.. Ruth Maxine. 

grdmaruthie%202_zpsfu9fv7co.jpg

This is a bit of an emotional day for me.. my favorite movie actress of all time and my last surviving grandparent too. They were both 95 and died on the same day. Both lived long and very full lives, and had many people who loved them. God bless their memories. 

• Like 2

Words don't come easy for me these days.

I was so sorry to hear about your Grandma Ruthie. God bless her.

No matter how much we know in our minds nothing can ever really prepare us for the loss we feel in our hearts. 

When I heard about Maureen O'Hara's passing I thought of you. Of The Quiet Man and How Green Was My Valley and so many other memorable films. Some of which really touched my heart. Sad to say goodbye to another screen legend. I really loved her spirit, strength and natural dignity. 

• Like 2