Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yeah, I think I'll go with Dark Passage. Haven't seen it in a while.

It's always good to fill in the general impression with the details from

a new viewing. And you have to be prepared for that subjective camera.

What I consider the least interesting movies in the SH series are being

shown in the late night/early morning slots, so I won't have to get up

too early to see them. I believe the better ones start with +House of

Fear+ at 9:45 a.m. If I start training now, I'll be able to get up that

early by the day after Christmas, or Boxing Day in the UK.

People are just beginning to appreciate the cinematic talents of Don

Knotts, especially from his mid 1960s "blue period." The rediscovery is long overdue.

I love chocolate, but I don't like it when it is mixed with some fruit

junk that spoils the chocolate taste. To each their own. Well, it's

almost DP time. Take it easy, yawl.

She assured me everyone was getting the accomodation

they deserved...ummm...I mean desired

Ha... no... April, you had it right the first time.. (when you said "deserved") HERE is Mr. Grimes' room..ha.

padded-cell-you-will.jpg

PS: Molo... YOUR room is still under construction... we had it all ready for you.... and somehow a dadgum SNAKE got in there (dejavu?? ha) and I had to BLAST that little sucker to kingdom come..ha.

Sadly, I am not the shot I used to be... old age is setting in... and my eye sight is going. ha. So the picture you posted of your room is the end result. (But I did call in a construction crew to remodel it for you... hopefully after the holidays you will be up and running.)

In the meantime... feel free to bunk w/ Grimes... (in that pretty white padded room I reserved for him) HA! Straightjackets are optional at dinner, (hope you like tapioca) However you MUST empty out all the loose change and keys, etc, from your pockets.... and you will have to turn over your belt, and the laces from your shoes... (all "padded cell" rules apply.) :P

Miss Goddess, this is a delightful new home for us.

Speaking of which, here's a sketch of a Dutch colonial house I plan to move into (when my ship comes in....) where I can spend hours cozily nestled inside watching TCM, petting my golden retriever asleep near the fireplace, sipping hot apple cider (laced with rum), and thinking about how hot Pat O'Brien was in THE GREAT O'MALLEY. (no, really!)

colonial-house.jpg

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 24, 2009 11:46 PM

Getting accustomed to my room in our new digs. There's a large screen tv in my room of the manor. I'm now watching "DARK PASSAGE" and you can't beat Bogie and Bacall. Here are a couple of very apropos lines from this good film:

Vincent: "Maybe someday she'll get run over or something."

George: "I pray for it every night."

--

"No feeling at all, except I'm annoyed when I see you."

Bruce Bennett to Agnes Moorhead.

--

"Just pick up the sofa and throw it at her. Maybe that'll make her catch on."

Bruce Bennett to Lauren Bacall re: Agnes Moorhead's character Madge.

Gee. How art imitates life.

Edited by: CineMaven on Nov 25, 2009 12:13 AM - that medium shot of Bacall with tears in her eyes by the elevator is fantastic!

Agnes Moorehead as Madge is like a walking nightmare!

Haven't seen this in some time -- I remember wanting Irene's apartment. Bogie scared me with those bandages. And ever since MILDRED PIERCE, I've had a soft spot in my heart for Bruce Bennett.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 25, 2009 1:18 AM

*Mighty Mo said*

*I think I will just be visiting you a lot until this I get this straightened out with Rohanaka!*

*Cinemaven said:*

*E-z with those visits Molo. There's a Mr. Cutter.*

Lzcutter says:

No worries either one of you. Mr Cutter likes good conversation as much as the next guy and he likes talking with movie buffs. Also, he likes his "medicine" on occasion. You didn't think I would marry someone who didn't like his "medicine" now and then, did you?

Bronxie writes:

Agnes Moorehead as Madge is like a walking nightmare!

I?m sure she?s just misunderstood Bronxie. (FrankGrimes could probably make a case for her). Madge had a social disease... meaning she wasn?t socialized properly ; didn?t seem to understand not to be around people who didn?t want her. Maybe she was naive. Maybe she was a royal pain. (I?d have to read the book to see how the author intended her). She definitely was a woman hurt by not having her love returned. Look how tense Irene got when Madge was around. She wouldn't stop! Now there?s medication for that but back in 1947...I dunno. ?Walking nightmare? is too harsh Bronxie. One person?s walking nightmare is another person?s... awww heck...walking nightmare. But I loved Madge. And I loved Aggie for her acting chops and standing toe-to-toe with the great Humphrey T. Bogart. I daresay he didn?t know what hit him during rehearsals. Great scene. She was so coquettish in her encounter with Alan and I loved her reaction when she visibly shuddered and realized it was indeed Vincent! I love Moorhead. Agnes Moorhead.

Haven't seen this in some time -- I remember wanting Irene's apartment. Bogie scared me with those bandages. And ever since MILDRED PIERCE, I've had a soft spot in my heart for Bruce Bennett.

Irene?s pad was fab wasn?t it. And Bogie?s hair in this film kind of unnerved me. Bruce Bennett always (to me) had such a gentle voice.

And ?T.? is for ?t?omato. ;-)

--

Madame Cutter writes:

No worries either one of you. Mr Cutter likes good conversation as much as the next guy and he likes talking with movie buffs. Also, he likes his "medicine" on occasion. You didn't think I would marry someone who didn't like his "medicine" now and then, did you?

My baaad, Madame Cutter. After reading your many posts, I should have known that a gal like you would want a hard-livin?, hard-lovin? man who could take his ?medicine? like a man and carry on a good conversation. Now check with MissGoddess to make sure there is a library in our new digs here at Rambles II so you can quietly prepare for the 15th TCM Programming Challenge you will be hosting early next year.

--

Reyman writes:

Nice place to visit. You've done real good MissGoddess!

I think I will come here often, especially "on holiday".

Hey Reyman...good to see you here. Isn?t this place great: big rooms, library (hopefully), wonderful views and a gigantic screening room we can all gather in. I don?t mean to be terse, but it?s good to have you on the grounds. Walk around...carry a big stick. Cut & paste. Good record-keeping is imperative in a house this size. Look at the mix-up Rohanaka did with some folks' resrvations.

Reyman, I think you might keep things orderly around here. Not that cinema buffs are a disorderly crew. Not the genuine ones anyway. Motley maybe...but not disorderly. Good to see you here.

Guyz please let me know when we're to meet in the screening room. Thanx! Now, I must ring for that butler. Oh Egan...EGAN!!!!

And ?T.? is for ?t?omato

Why, yes it IS!!! (HA!) :D (and I bet all the folks who have NOT heard my true tomato confession yet are going... "Tomato?? HUH??? ha. Sorry folks... ha... FOR NOW it is just an inside joke...ha. MAYBE someday I will tell all...ha)

Miss Maven I MISSED the first half of this movie.. maybe even a bit MORE than half... (UGH) I was gone half the afternoon and almost the whole evening... (and when I left my tape of the films that were aring EARLIER yesterday was stilll running... but it ran out LONG before DP came on... so I wasn't able to get it taped, either) but I DID start watching anyway.... because... (sigh) I just HAD to try see my old pal, HB one more time... ha. (and I must confess he IS growing on me still, but is NOT quite as an immediate "love" for me yet as that first real tomato was so VERY long ago...ha.)

At any rate.... my first glimpse of Agnes was through that tiny window in her door when he came to see her near the end of the movie... (so I totally missed all her earlier performance) but WOW.... that ENDING for her... OH MY GOLLY.

Madge had a social disease... meaning she wasn?t socialized properly ; didn?t seem to understand not to be around people who didn?t want her. Maybe she was naive. Maybe she was a royal pain. (I?d have to read the book to see how the author intended her). She definitely was a woman hurt by not having her love returned.

Just from what LITTLE I did see of her, I'd say that is a PERFECT way to describe her. And golly, did she SPIT her venom good when she figured out who he was there toward the end... OH ME. I have always liked her as an actress... and have seen her play many differend roles, but this MUST have been one of her finest. I want to see this whole film someday just so I can see HER part in it...

And then of course.... there is that whole "tomato" thing going on too.... ha. (But HEY... I DID at least RECORD The Big Sleep.. so maybe I will get that watched soon... and then will have MORE "Veggie Tales" (ha) to report.

If we're going to talk about "Dark Passage" that will be fine because I taped it last night

I would LOVE to hear more about all that went on (leading up to the big ENDING for Agnes...ha) Since I missed the beginning..ha.. and I already KNOW what happens at the end...ha. SPOIL away. At least THAT way I can fill in the gaps between what I missed and what I saw at the end..ha.

Edited by: rohanaka on Nov 25, 2009 11:09 AM

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> I love your cozy cottage, La Bronxarita! That must be in the West Wing, too, if it's near the sea...

>

> By the way, how was Pat O'Brien in the GREAT O'MALLEY? :D

Put me by the sea, by the sea by the beautiful sea, and I'm happy! Ensconsed in my classic digs, give me a kilted Scots butler who looks like Colin Ffirth to wait upon me,

Oh, Pat, me darlin! Now I've never before thought of him in terms of sex appeal, but you know moi with these stolid square law-abidin' fellers. His by-the-book Officer O'Malley was so strict, he didn't want his mother (Scottish Mary Gordon, valiantly trying to make us believe she was Irish) throwing scraps out the window, because it violated some obscure neighborhood ordinance. "I'm just doin' my job, Ma". But there is nothing harsh the way he goes about laying down the letter of the law. He's tactiturn, a bit befuddled by all the criticisms of his methods, stubborn and proud, but there's a gentleness and nobility behind the way he goes about his "duty".

I haven't seen a lot of Pat's movies, but I actually think this is one of his best performances! When the film isn't preachy and manipulating your emotions (I didn't care for the crippled child angle), it has some naturalistic, leisurely, lightly barbed humorous character observations (Pappy could do wonders with this script)

In my heart of hearts, I suspect I've always had a bit of a soft spot for O'Brien, not in any real physical way, but just because I gravitate towards his cool, self-contained, quietly charismatic, somewhat wry personality.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 25, 2009 11:06 PM

Bonjour, Bronx Lass!

I like Pat O'Brien!! I first found him kind of fun and engaging in that nightclub movie, something about "Moon" in the title. He is constantly scheming to keep his club open and puts John Payne and Margaret Lindsay through a ringer with all his lies, but he's very funny at the same time.

I just like his twinkle in his eye, and he's a bit on the flirty side, too. Love him with his pal, Jimmy Cagney. Those two just look like trouble with a capital "T" together. Throw in my sweet little Frankie McHugh and they'll pull the house down. :D

It's amusing when Bogie calls on her toward the end of the film, and she says

something along the line of 'You're being fresh,' and he replies 'Just

informal.' She played a similar character, minus the fact of being a

double murderess, in Since You Went Away as a society woman

who has a way with high-class, understated snarkiness, bedeviling poor

mom Claudette Colbert and good guy Joseph Cotten for most of the

picture, until they tell her off. I don't think she ever topped her role as

Fanny in The Magnificent Ambersons. A truly superb performance.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> I have a Cagney biography and he and O'Brien were great friends through their lives. I think it shows in their film work.

I heard that, contrary to their on-screen personas, Pat was the partyer and Jimmy was a home-body.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Miss Goddess, this is a delightful new home for us.

>

> Speaking of which, here's a sketch of a Dutch colonial house I plan to move into (when my ship comes in....) where I can spend hours cozily nestled inside watching TCM, petting my golden retriever asleep near the fireplace, sipping hot apple cider (laced with rum), and thinking about how hot Pat O'Brien was in THE GREAT O'MALLEY. (no, really!)

>

> colonial-house.jpg

>

> Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 24, 2009 11:46 PM

Bronxgirl - so nice to see you out and about in the middle of the week!

Is that your caretaker in the yard of your dream house? His name wouldn't be Leroy, would it? In any event, keep an eye on him! Let me know if you plan to rent out any of those upstairs rooms.

> Bronxgirl - so nice to see you out and about in the middle of the week!

> Is that your caretaker in the yard of your dream house? His name wouldn't be Leroy, would it? In any event, keep an eye on him! Let me know if you plan to rent out any of those upstairs rooms.

Hey, cinemafan! Thanks; I thought I'd pop in this holiday week. Hahaha! I've got my stick bloodhounds on the property to keep away any interlopers. And if Robert Ryan comes around, I'm certainly not renting him any rooms. I've got to beware, my lovely.

But you are welcome any time.

Good evening, Mrs. Stanley,

I'd love to see CRACK-UP, where Pat plays an art curator of all things! I believe it's a mystery with noirish touches, and Claire Trevor is also in it.

I wanted to reach out and GRAB him as Officer O'Malley, but darned if Ann Sheridan tries to horn in first!

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Bronxie writes:

>

> Agnes Moorehead as Madge is like a walking nightmare!

>

> Im sure shes just misunderstood Bronxie. (FrankGrimes could probably make a case for her). Madge had a social disease... meaning she wasnt socialized properly ; didnt seem to understand not to be around people who didnt want her. Maybe she was naive. Maybe she was a royal pain. (Id have to read the book to see how the author intended her). She definitely was a woman hurt by not having her love returned. Look how tense Irene got when Madge was around. She wouldn't stop! Now theres medication for that but back in 1947...I dunno. Walking nightmare is too harsh Bronxie. One persons walking nightmare is another persons... awww heck...walking nightmare. But I loved Madge. And I loved Aggie for her acting chops and standing toe-to-toe with the great Humphrey T. Bogart. I daresay he didnt know what hit him during rehearsals. Great scene. She was so coquettish in her encounter with Alan and I loved her reaction when she visibly shuddered and realized it was indeed Vincent! I love Moorhead. Agnes Moorhead.

Agnes is one of my favorite character actresses.

Madge just WON'T be ignored, will she? Some trauma in her past, no doubt, left her with separation anxiety, to put it mildly.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Bonjour, Bronx Lass!

>

> I like Pat O'Brien!! I first found him kind of fun and engaging in that nightclub movie, something about "Moon" in the title. He is constantly scheming to keep his club open and puts John Payne and Margaret Lindsay through a ringer with all his lies, but he's very funny at the same time.

>

> I just like his twinkle in his eye, and he's a bit on the flirty side, too. Love him with his pal, Jimmy Cagney. Those two just look like trouble with a capital "T" together. Throw in my sweet little Frankie McHugh and they'll pull the house down. :D

Is that GARDEN OF THE MOON? Haven't seen it. Ever see him and Jimmy in BOY MEETS GIRL? Their mile-a-minute mouths are something to behold.

I've always thought Pat had a twinkle in his eye, even though his acting style was understated and probably underrated. Love him with Jimmy and Frank.

Poor Bogey in THE GREAT O'MALLEY. What a hapless part. There's a blood transfusion in the story, which reminded me that two years later he'd be in THE RETURN OF DR. X, lol.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Good evening, Mrs. Stanley,

>

Good evening, Mrs. Wheeler,

> I'd love to see CRACK-UP, where Pat plays an art curator of all things! I believe it's a mystery with noirish touches, and Claire Trevor is also in it.

>

Oh, I actually have seen that one and I REALLY like it---you've got to watch it next time TCM airs it. It's kind of like the Twilight Zone, seeing Pat in a noir, lol.

> I wanted to reach out and GRAB him as Officer O'Malley, but darned if Ann Sheridan tries to horn in first!

Yes, we Texas ladies are fast on the draw. :D

>

> Is that GARDEN OF THE MOON? Haven't seen it. Ever see him and Jimmy in BOY MEETS GIRL? Their mile-a-minute mouths are something to behold.

>

Yes, Garden of the Moon. Fun flick.

I've never seen Boy Meets Girl. Gosh, how many movies did they do together? It seems like dozens.

>

> Poor Bogey in THE GREAT O'MALLEY. What a hapless part. There's a blood transfusion in the story, which reminded me that two years later he'd be in THE RETURN OF DR. X, lol.

hahahaha! I really wish now that I'd recorded The Great O'Malley.

Sorry for the watermark, but I thought he looked kind of cute in these:

3316710.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=11B127B063386F615B898BBEE9AB1BAC

3317594.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=11B127B063386F610925BBBDEBB131D7

Here he is with Claire Trevor in CRACK UP

patobrien-clairtrevor.jpg

Edited by: MissGoddess on Nov 26, 2009 9:16 PM