Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello there Miss Maven...

and thanks for understanding my post. You and Jackie and Miss G... and even FRANK (I know.. gasp) likely have the right attitude about how this story should be viewed and I am just too "locked in" to my little black and white world. ha. I DO tend to personalize movies a bit more than I should (I am forever thinking "What would I do or say or think if..." and sometimes I wonder if my tastes in story lines would change more if I could just forget all that and just "go" with what is happening on screen.

But you know.. I always try to find at least ONE character in a story to relate to... so you are right..ha. All that stuff I wrote WOULD be the same advice I'd give to a friend. And if Charlotte were to come to me and say "Oh Ro, but I love him so".. ha. I'd have to tell her the same things I said here..

"I want better for you, young'un."

Scary.

Ha.. your example was PERFECT about how we sometime wish for something in a movie that we would NOT want to see happen in real life. I guess I take movies and stories TOO much to heart sometimes. They become too real for me and when I start to care about the characters, I am forever wanting to throw something at the tv when I see someone making a BAD choice.. or sometimes I just want to jump in the tv and give some poor person a hug when their heart is breaking.. I say again.. I guess I take it too personal. I have too hard a time seperating what I would say or think in real life from what I see on screen sometimes.... I want everyone to be happy... ha.. sentimental sap that I am. ha.

I?m emotional about movies. I can?t explain it. It won?t make sense, but some get it. And I'm blessed and lucky for those that do. I really enjoy ?Now, Voyager.? Is it true to a psychologically sound life...maybe not. But it touches me. In real life, about my life, I?m more careful...weigh things. I?m a Capricorn....we think and weigh and weigh and think...all kinds of stuff. But with movies...I totally give myself to them

See, now THAT's the way NV was likely meant to be viewed. I am just too much of a control freak to enjoy it.. ha. I want all my movie characters to do what is right because I know (or I THINK I know) it will be the best thing for them in the end.. ha. (OH golly.. ha. I AM a control freak, ain't I??? ha. I am such a doofus sometimes.)

And if you read scripts Ro...I'd like to share one with you. You can help me keep my characters on the straight and narrow. Flaws and all.

Ha.. I have never read any scripts before.. ha. But as we just learned.. as much as I would likely enjoy the read (so feel FREE to share one with me ANYTIME, young'un) I likely would be the last person you want to go to for help w/ your characters.. ha. I am too bossy for their own good. Ha.)

CineM, I agree with the sentiments - this calibre of writing is a wonderful reason to watch this (and so many other) films again. Thanks!

And Buttery Darlin', even though I'm a lot closer to the north pole than you (well, OK, a few miles), we'll have some mighty icy roads after dark. I'd much prefer a nice warm SAFE Buttery to pick on!

*Crying? CRYING?!!!! There's no crying in baseball in movies!*

Call me crazy but I thought you cried watching *Liberty Valance* ! I could have sworn you wrote that at one of our outposts here at the fort.

Or it could be the pain and the drugs.

And Buttery Darlin', even though I'm a lot closer to the north pole than you (well, OK, a few miles), we'll have some mighty icy roads after dark. I'd much prefer a nice warm SAFE Buttery to pick on!

You live a half an hour away from me, silly! Heehee! No worries, my teacher is going to tell everyone if we have class tonight, if we do, my grandmother wants to drive me. I feel like a 5 year when they do that, but at least i'm loved. Heehee! What's the use of being safe if you're just going to pick on me more!? :P

?Shoot! Crying is what some movies are all about. Some because they tug at your heart. Some because you wasted two hours watching some piece of junk and some because you get to a point in life where you cry at everything you see on TV. (That is not my case, well not all the time.)? - < Movieman1957 >

?Liar Liar pants on fire! Heehee! Tell me you kept a solid face the entire time through 'Now, Voyager' AND 'Random Harvest'!? :D - < ButterscotchGreer >

?Call me crazy but I thought you cried watching '...Liberty Valance' ! I could have sworn you wrote that at one of our outposts here at the fort. Or it could be the pain and the drugs.? -

< lzcutter >

?Liberty Valance???? Did...I...say...that...I

:-( :-( :-(

No fair bringing up my tears at the OK Corral!!! That's a different genre.

DRAT!!!! CAUGHT!!!

Yess...yesss I cry a lot. I cried when she said ?Smithy.? I cried when Melly died. I was very tearful when Doniphon tore up the extra room in his house. I cried when Gary Cooper walked slowly into the darkened Yankee dugout. And countless other times.

My name is CineMaven. And I am a tearjerker!

But when I talked about no crying in --baseball-- movies, I was talking about my post making Jackaaaaay a little sniffly.

See folks...let that be a lesson to you about what you say here on "Ye Olde Message Board."

?A word is dead

when it is said

some say.

I say

it just begins to live

that day.?

- Emily Dickinson.

Please pass the tissue...

< Sniff! >

Edited by: CineMaven on Feb 23, 2010 6:30 PM...and when Susan Hayward goes into that gas chamber...

*Yess...yesss I cry a lot. I cried when she said ?Smithy.? I cried when Melly died. I was very tearful when Doniphon tore up the extra room in his house. I cried when Gary Cooper walked slowly into the darkened Yankee dugout. And countless other times.*

*My name is CineMaven. And I am a tearjerker!*

*Please pass the tissue...*

*< Sniff! >*

*Edited by: CineMaven on Feb 23, 2010 6:30 PM...and when Susan Hayward goes into that gas chamber...*

Or when Miss Jean Louis Finch meets Mr. Arthur Radley for the first time.

When Captain Nathan Brittles receives his "shiny new watch" from his company before they go out without him.

When Henry Fonda reads the letter to the killers in *The Oxbow Incident*

When a young Dorothy Gale says goodbye to her BFF's in Oz.

When Norman Maine (James Mason) asks Esther (Judy Garland) for one more look, one last time.

When Doug Fairbanks, Sr joins his Musketeer friends at the end of *The Iron Mask*

When Hallie realizes what really happened to the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

And when Atticus Finch walks out of the courtroom and the crowd in the balcony stands up as he passes. (Even Sam Jackson cries at that scene!)

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *Yess...yesss I cry a lot. I cried when she said Smithy. I cried when Melly died. I was very tearful when Doniphon tore up the extra room in his house. I cried when Gary Cooper walked slowly into the darkened Yankee dugout. And countless other times.*

>

> *My name is CineMaven. And I am a tearjerker!*

>

> *Please pass the tissue...*

>

> *< Sniff! >*

>

> *Edited by: CineMaven on Feb 23, 2010 6:30 PM...and when Susan Hayward goes into that gas chamber...*

>

...and when Charlotte receives the camellia her first night home

...and when Young Mr Lincoln gazes out at the river, remembering Ann Rutledge

...and when Spade, Mike and "Bull" say their last goodbye to each other

...and when Roy (Robert Taylor) finds Moira's (Vivien Leigh) little "lucky" charm by the bridge

...and when Roger (Cary Grant) pleads with the judge to let him and Julie (Irene Dunne) keep the baby.

...and when Judith (Bette Davis) sends off her husband (George Brent) to New York without letting him know.

...and when Jody (Claude Jarman, jr) goes out to shoot Flag.

...and...and...and!!!!!!!

...Or when Dana Andrews looks over at Teresa Wright in ?The Best Years Of Our Lives? and shortly later takes her in his arms and they kiss. (And that music...)

...Or when Cary Grant talks to the judge in ?Penny Serenade.? (You beat me Ms.G.)

...Or when Garbo stays with the Baron deVarville while Robert Taylor pounds on the door in ?Camille.?

...Or when Jennifer Jones reaches into the fire crying "My letters, my letters" And later, gaining her memory and clinches with Joseph Cotten in ?Love Letters.?

...Or when Bette Davis walks up those stairs and lays on her bed and closes her eyes for the last time in ?Dark Victory.? (You beat me again, Ms. G.) Especially a little earlier when she reaches up and puts her arms around George Brent's neck on the staircase and he lifts her...(I think she asks if she's been a good wife).

...Or when Lassie comes home to Roddy. (It gets me darnit...It gets me!)

...Or when Ronnie screams: "Where's the rest of me?"

...Or Ida Lupino in "On Dangerous Ground"

...Or Bernard Hermann's music in "Vertigo" and (yes) "Coma." And the music in "A Place in the Sun." It's heartbreaking.

...Or Stanwyck pleading with John Doe not to jump.

Edited by: CineMaven on Feb 23, 2010 7:11 PM...and some of those themes Steiner used in "Gone With the Wind." I hear them now. I'm humming them now: Melly's...Belle Watling's.

or when Gypo, *The Informer* cries out,

>*"Isn't there a man here that can tell me why I did it?"*

or when Angharad's veil slowly lifts into the wind....... and Gruffuyd stands alone on the hillside..

or when Captain Gregg takes Lucia's hand and the music swells...

or when Laura Jesson in *Brief Encounter* starts her voice over,

>*"Fred, dear Fred. There's so much that I want to say to you. You're the only one in the world with enough wisdom and gentleness to understand. If only it was somebody else's story and not mine. As it is, you're the only one in the world that I can never tell."*

or when Gregory Peck stands looking at his princess from the press gallery...knowing it will be the last time..

or in *The Big Parade*, when Renee Adoree tries to stop John Gilbert from leaving for the front

or when Melly sees Ashley coming back down that long road

or the final endless closeup in *City Lights* ....

>*"Yes. I can see now."*

Good evening, Mrs. Unromantic! :P -- Aren't most love stories with a happy ending "contrived"?

NO!!! Why does it have to be a "contrived" tale for there to be a happy ending? Oh for pity sakes.. look who I am talking to..

:D I always think a happy ending is much too tidy. I love messes. But you know this already. You know I find tragedy to be more thought-provoking and more emotional.

I don't know.. maybe it was the whole " He's got DOUBLE amnesia...first when he MET Greer.. and THEN after he married her... and then he almost marries someone else.. and then Greer is right there staying QUIET about who she is... until he figures it all out on his own" thing.. it was just too much. (at least for me)

Well, you know, I cannot disagree with you. There's plenty of suspended belief needed with Random Harvest. So you would prefer an ending where Paula and Smithy stay apart. Me, too! :P It makes more sense.

Well.. I did not want to turn this thing into a blood bath.. ha. But there WAS that aspect of things to consider TOO. I generally just do not like characters who commit (and decide to stay) in a relationship like that. If adultery is brought into a storyline. I like it to be resolved.... and I did not see that happen really in this film. So... yeah.. that was an issue for me to. (but again.. I do not want to sound judgemental.. I just wish the whole story would have gone a different direction... but I guess that is why nobody is out there paying ME the big bucks to write it.. ha)

Now, Voyager is an unresolved love story. It's also a film of adultery. Just Charlotte's luck.

nowvoyager12.jpg

nowvoyager18.jpg

So you wanted Charlotte (Bette) to demand the divorce.

No, not really. I think what I really wanted was for her to "move on" to better things. If she HAD to have a relationship with him, then I think I wanted her to look on the whole thing as a a chance to learn HOW to love and then go find someone who COULD be free to love her (and free for her to love). Or maybe she moves on and realizes she can have a full life without having a "love" interest in it. Sometimes it is better to be alone than in the wrong relationship.. and I am with you.. eventually I think she will come to realize that what she THOUGHT was going to be "enough" for her.. will not make her happy in the end. (at least I hope she would)

Since it's all very fresh and new to Charlotte, I believe it's going to be tough for her to move on until more time has lapsed. Her feelings for Jerry are much too strong, at this time. She's wanting more. She needs more. How long will this feeling last for her? That's hard to say. But I do believe it would wear off without there being something more than she has. She's accepting of less today because it's far more than she ever had before. But the day will come where less will turn into more and then all or nothing.

I agree it would not have been right for her to marry the other guy. And that goes back to what I was saying.. who said she HAD to marry (or be attatched to) anyone at all to end up happy? Now I know.. I am saying that as an old married woman.. ha. It is easy for me to sound all smug and say.. people can be happy being single... the truth is.. it is NOT always easy.

Just ask Tom Doniphon if it's easy or not.

I believe Charlotte was very open to trying to find another man, "moving on," but her heart told her it's not right, not yet. The scene I post the caps from with Elliot (John Loder) are from what I consider a very important scene. Elliot is a very nice guy, a well-meaning guy, a guy that would place Charlotte on a pedestal and treat her right. Sounds perfect, right? But Elliot doesn't stir Charlotte like Jerry does.

Just look at how Charlotte is after she comes home from the cruise:

nowvoyager20.jpg

nowvoyager11.jpg

Even without Jerry by her side, Charlotte feels confident. She's now the life of the party because of how Jerry has made her feel. She's carrying Jerry with her and using his love to lift her up and propel her forward.

Then, in the scene with Elliot, we see how the two of them interract with each other. There's a "distance" between them and Elliot really isn't aware of it.

I was very taken by how Elliot was tapping Charlotte on her shoulder as a way to make her feel comfortable. His "there, there." That's not how Jerry would handle her. He would hold her. Elliot doesn't look into her eyes, either.

nowvoyager17.jpg

Then Charlotte speaks of her and her feelings under the guise of a fictional character:

nowvoyager13.jpg

nowvoyager14.jpg

nowvoyager15.jpg

nowvoyager16.jpg

She feels ashamed to be saying these things to Elliot. And this is where you will find the difference between one man and others. It reminded me of Pandora and the Flying Dutchman:

pandoraandtheflyingdutchman7-1.jpg

How so? With Jerry, Charlotte feels very comfortable being "naked." She can be herself in every respect and he will love her all the same. It's not the drink that removed her inhibitions or sex but Jerry. With Elliot, she's looking to cover up.

Ok... let me see if I can say this in a way that makes sense.... I won't try to speak for every woman.. but what I personally really want (and am again ETERNALLY grateful to have found in my husband) is a man who understands and accepts me for WHO I am and not what he THINKS I am. I want to be wanted for ME.

I believe you speak for not only woman but also man. Naked.

And maybe that is how Jerry felt about Charlotte... and she for him... But she was not his to feel that way for.. (and vice versa) so their relationship was never going to reach the kind of depth I am talking about.. because it is something that develops over time and through closeness with one another.

I agree. She is loving from afar and that's going to leave you feeling empty, in time.

Romance can be a very deceptive thing sometimes. Everybody THINKS they know what they want and what will make them happy.. but the truth is... sometimes what you GET ends up being the last thing in the world that will truly bring you happiness in life. It takes a very discerning heart to understand the difference between "romantic" feelings or passion (that may be fleeting) and the kind of true love that deepens and grows over time. And THAT is what I really want from my marriage. And maybe that is what Charlotte THOUGHT she had with Jerry.. but I just don't see it that way... (again.. I am sure others may have a different point of view... but this is just my own opinion)

That was very lovely, Quiet Gal. I actually think Charlotte and Jerry do have that kind of love, it's just that he's married and has a family. Eventually, he will have to make a serious decision or she will have to confront him (and herself) with their relationship and what's to be.

I don't know. Maybe you are right. But what I would have loved to have seen was a scenario where Charlotte moves on (after getting Tina started) and then meets up w/ Jerry and Tina later in life.. maybe when Tina is getting married and Charlotte and Jerry either A) are free to marry now because the evil wife is TOAST..ha. OR... B) Charlotte can look back and see she has made the right choice to move on because her life turned out OK... (either married to someone else or single) and Tina's life turned out ok too... thanks to the early nudge Charlotte gave her way back when. And Jerry is grateful to her for his daughter's sake.. and glad to learn Charlotte found happiness on her own.

Noooooooooooooooooooo! That's not a good ending! It's way too tidy! Blech! I want the mess! I want the Doniphon story!

nowvoyager19.jpg

manwhoshotlibertyvalance1.jpg

Hello there Mighty Ro!!!

Ha.. your example was PERFECT about how we sometime wish for something in a movie that we would NOT want to see happen in real life. I guess I take movies and stories TOO much to heart sometimes.

I think movies should be taken to heart.

They become too real for me and when I start to care about the characters, I am forever wanting to throw something at the tv when I see someone making a BAD choice.. or sometimes I just want to jump in the tv and give some poor person a hug when their heart is breaking.. I say again.. I guess I take it too personal.?

Well it depends on what you mean by taking it ?too personal.? We all know that these are just movies...that these are not real people. But they touch us. It?s only in recent years that I don?t

mind seeing movies about characters that are specifically flawed and watch how that works

(or doesn?t work for them).

?See, now THAT's the way NV was likely meant to be viewed. I am just too much of a control freak to enjoy it.. ha. I want all my movie characters to do what is right because I know (or I THINK I know) it will be the best thing for them in the end.. ha. (OH golly.. ha. I AM a control freak, ain't I??? ha. I am such a doofus sometimes.)?

Okay...so we probably will not EVER go see a movie together. But you are not a doofus. You are not a control freak. You are a movie buff. And you care.

Besides...I don?t share my Raisinettes.

You're so good at comparing different movies to each other. I never would have thought about Pandora.. or even TMWSLV. I was thinking more about The Ghost and Mrs Muir but I like your comparisons. And what you wrote about the scenes with Elliot contrasted with how such a "confession" from Charlotte would have been received by Jerry was terrific. I always thought the "pat" by Elliot was very telling. It's brotherly, not loverly.

I remember in the novel that what was so important to Charlotte was that she felt this intimate connection with Jerry even when they were apart. She would feel almost as though she might bump into him around any corner...and then later he confesses he did come up to her house but didn't ring the bell. In the story, this all relieves her loneliness, makes her feel like they are together in spirit. Having Tina with her becomes the embodiment of all than links them together. Tina is her when she was a child, but more importantly, she's "like having your child. Yours and mine." And Jerry feels the same way. It isn't made as much of in the movie, but his life was beginning to dry up for him. After meeting Charlotte, he even finds his old enthusiasm for his work again.

That's why I compared it to TGAMM because I believe they are soul mates, really two halves of a whole. They complete each other, as no one else ever will.

okay okay.....

...or when Deborah Kerr is sitting on her couch and Cary Grant almost walks out of her apartment out of her life forever and then he runs to her bedroom and sees that it was her who bought his painting and they embrace each other...

...or when Dana Wynter finally kisses Mel Ferrer in Fraulein...

...or when Barbra Streisand sings "Oh my man" in Funny Girl...

...or when Greer holds the baby's little finger in Blossoms in the Dust at the end of the film...

..or when Katharine listens to the song the band is playing on her date with Fred MacMurray and the look on her face alone make you cry and he requests the band to play the song again just to see her smile...

....or when Judy sings "Have yourself a merry little christmas" to Margaret O' Brien....

...or when Audrey calls for "Cat" and grows week in the knees in the rain with George Peppard....

...or when Ingrid Bergman cries "ROBERTOOOOOOOO!" to Gary....

oh I could go on forever!!

Good evening, Mrs. Doniphon -- What did you do to your man?!

You're so good at comparing different movies to each other. I never would have thought about Pandora.. or even TMWSLV. I was thinking more about The Ghost and Mrs Muir but I like your comparisons.

Awwwww, thank you. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is fairly similar but I consider Captain Gregg (Rex Harrison) to be Lucy's (Gene Tierney) imagined man. But where they are somewhat similar is that her love for him is one that's not to be realized in the physical. It's all internal. Charlotte has experienced the physical love, but the majority of her love for Jerry is internal.

And what you wrote about the scenes with Elliot contrasted with how such a "confession" from Charlotte would have been received by Jerry was terrific. I always thought the "pat" by Elliot was very telling. It's brotherly, not loverly.

That's right. And many guys (us Elliots) mean well, in a "loverly" way, but they don't know how to love a woman the way she truly desires.

I remember in the novel that what was so important to Charlotte was that she felt this intimate connection with Jerry even when they were apart.

Wow! That's precisely the feeling I got with the film. Charlotte's confidence level soars when she knows Jerry is "with" her, hence the siginificance of the flowers.

She would feel almost as though she might bump into him around any corner...and then later he confesses he did come up to her house but didn't ring the bell. In the story, this all relieves her loneliness, makes her feel like they are together in spirit.

Precisely. It's amazing how being in love can make you feel better in every other area of your life.

Having Tina with her becomes the embodiment of all than links them together. Tina is her when she was a child, but more importantly, she's "like having your child. Yours and mine." And Jerry feels the same way. It isn't made as much of in the movie, but his life was beginning to dry up for him. After meeting Charlotte, he even finds his old enthusiasm for his work again.

That's perfectly said. I firmly believe in all of that. Love has a way of awakening certain feelings within both man and woman. With woman, and Charlotte, her desire to be a mother comes out due to her deep love of Jerry. That's how much she has been stirred, inside.

That's why I compared it to TGAMM because I believe they are soul mates, really two halves of a whole. They complete each other, as no one else ever will.

But isn't Captain Gregg really Lucy's imagination of what kind of man he would be and, most importantly, the kind of man she would wish to have?

Hey Ro!!

I don't know.. maybe it was the whole " He's got DOUBLE amnesia...first when he MET Greer.. and THEN after he married her... and then he almost marries someone else.. and then Greer is right there staying QUIET about who she is... until he figures it all out on his own" thing.. it was just too much. (at least for me)

Hey Tear-my-heart-Frankie!

Well, you know, I cannot disagree with you. There's plenty of suspended belief needed with Random Harvest. So you would prefer an ending where Paula and Smithy stay apart. Me, too! It makes more sense.

What AM I to do with the both of you?! :P

Okay this thread is leaving me in the dust! I watched *Mogambo* and *The Best Years of Our Lives* but I'm too broken up at the moment to write about them!

I'll be back later.

*Now Voyager* made my list of favorite films that CineMaven requested about a year ago.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Good evening, Mrs. Doniphon -- What did you do to your man?!

>

I'm almost afraid to ask...what man???! Or are you being hostile again? :P

> Awwwww, thank you. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is fairly similar but I consider Captain Gregg (Rex Harrison) to be Lucy's (Gene Tierney) imagined man. But where they are somewhat similar is that her love for him is one that's not to be realized in the physical. It's all internal. Charlotte has experienced the physical love, but the majority of her love for Jerry is internal.

>

Yet Lucy blossoms with Captain Greg, into "Lucia" (a subtle transformation) and finds her true self. Just as Charlotte blossoms with her love for Jerry (an internal transformation to complete the physical change) and finds herself, too.

>

> That's right. And many guys (us Elliots) mean well, in a "loverly" way, but they don't know how to love a woman the way she truly desires.

>

I agree, but I also get the feeling Elliot doesn't really want that kind of relationship with Charlotte. It seems suggested that maybe he burned all that out with his first wife. He's looking to settle down for "companionship" and tells her so, quite clearly. He assumes she's the same, that she's not after anything more romantic. So I'm not as sure it's that Elliot cannot show that kind of feeling for her so much as he does not wish to, or doesn't feel inspired to. It's almost like he's gearing up for retirement! He wants a traveling companion. :D

And I can't see Elliot saying Cape Fear was his favorite movie. :P

> Wow! That's precisely the feeling I got with the film. Charlotte's confidence level soars when she knows Jerry is "with" her, hence the siginificance of the flowers.

>

Remember how she looked up when someone at the dock said Jerry's name? She's always expecting him to turn up. That was before she met with her mother. Her mother shrunk her back to the "reality" of where she was before the sanitarium, before Jerry. If those flowers never came, she would have withered back to "Aunt Charlotte".

>

> Precisely. It's amazing how being in love can make you feel better in every other area of your life.

>

Indeed. It's the wind beneath the wings (sorry, now that song is going to be playing in some heads all night!)

>

> That's perfectly said. I firmly believe in all of that. Love has a way of awakening certain feelings within both man and woman. With woman, and Charlotte, her desire to be a mother comes out due to her deep love of Jerry. That's how much she has been stirred, inside.

>

And I hadn't thought of it that way, either. It's true, and I'm sure Charlotte felt a sudden, enormous hunger to create a home of her own. As well as to give Tina all the kind of love she never experienced.

> But isn't Captain Gregg really Lucy's imagination of what kind of man he would be and, most importantly, the kind of man she would wish to have?

I think he may be, the movie certainly works like that. But he's still real to me.