Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RAMBLES Part II

MissGoddess

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> HA!! You may live in Florida, Bronxie..but you're STILL a New Yorker!!

I think you're probably right about that....

They don't really make good deli down here.

Heck, you can't even find decent Southern food.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Dec 5, 2009 4:07 AM

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a VERY late entry here (considering the fact that this movie aired on TCM the first part of the month (ha.. better late than never) but if I may I just wanted to bring up The Petrified Forest.

WOW. I found myself pleasantly suprised by this movie... (and then it ENDED... ha... and I was SO very disappointed instead) NO.. I was M-A-D!!!!!!!!) ha.. Sometimes I am nothing if not emotionally involved with my movies.. ha.

But I thought Bette Davis was as young and "fresh faced" as I had EVER seen her. And that DOGGONE Leslie Howard... ha. I loved him.. and then I just wanted to KICK HIS tail.

And then there was Bogart... :-)

Oh boy! So, barring the ending, this was a Bogie movie you liked???

I know what you mean about the ending...but it was a wildly romantic gesture. I love Bette's Gabriella. She's very sweet.

And I love the rich, middle aged couple and how their true feelings about each other sort of "erupt" under pressure, ha!

And funny old Charley Grapewin. :)

Oh boy! So, barring the ending, this was a Bogie movie you liked???

YES... including HIM. (ha) Although he was just one HUGE stereotype. ha. But I thought he made a TOTALLY convincing thug.

EVERYTHING, I mean everything about this movie "clicked" for me.. right up until the VERY ending. (dagnabbit!!) ha.

*HUGE Spoiler alert:*

it was a wildly romantic gesture

Oh it made me SO mad. ha. And I was as mad at Bogart as I was at him (because I wanted Bogart to redeem himself by just "winging" him and making it LOOK worse... and then Howard just PASSED out... THAT was what I kept WAITING for... but NO!!! (UGH) did I mention how MAD I was about the ending???? ha.

I love Bette's Gabriella. She's very sweet

It was funny because I had JUST said to the QT (as the movie was getting started) that I did not know WHAT she was going to be like as a character because Bette was more of a "strong" woman type (at least in most of her films that I have seen) and not usually known for playing wide eyed "dreamy" young ladies so much.. and then there she was... all wide eyed and dreamy.

And that rich couple.. OH ME.. I LOVE her.. hate him.. ha.

And funny old Charley Grapewin.

OH my golly.. I loved how he was cheering the bad guys on.. ha.

>

> YES... including HIM. (ha) Although he was just one HUGE stereotype. ha. But I thought he made a TOTALLY convincing thug.

>

Right! He was almost simian in his body language, it was very menacing.

>

> *HUGE Spoiler alert:*

>

>

> Oh it made me SO mad. ha. And I was as mad at Bogart as I was at him (because I wanted Bogart to redeem himself by just "winging" him and making it LOOK worse... and then Howard just PASSED out... THAT was what I kept WAITING for... but NO!!! (UGH) did I mention how MAD I was about the ending???? ha.

>

I always hope the same thing, but then Allan's gesture would founder I guess and he might just become an almost pitiable character. He feels he's lived a futile life and this is his chance to be something really fine. What makes it tough is he's too young to feel like that.

>

> It was funny because I had JUST said to the QT (as the movie was getting started) that I did not know WHAT she was going to be like as a character because Bette was more of a "strong" woman type (at least in most of her films that I have seen) and not usually known for playing wide eyed "dreamy" young ladies so much.. and then there she was... all wide eyed and dreamy.

>

It's one of the few times she plays a "soft" character, and I have to say they're among my favorites in her career. I just got through watching THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER, which has her in a decidedly supporting role, but a very likable and almost soft, every-day girl type. She does it really well.

As Gabriella she's good at projecting pent up, frustrated energy. There were times I felt like her when I was a kid in Texas.

>

> OH my golly.. I loved how he was cheering the bad guys on.. ha.

Charley has such an incredible amount of energy in all his characters. I can't believe how much pep he has sometimes. I get tired watching him! :D It's darling how childlike his enthusiasm is. He plays essentially the same character in JUDGE PRIEST.

Simian!! That's perfect... the way he kept his arms sort of "hanging down". (ha.. I told the QT it looked like his shirt was too tight across the shoulders or something.. HA!!!) But I thought he was VERY menacing and quite intimidating. He makes a pretty believable "bad guy". I liked his role in The Oklahoma Kid. He was a bit "slicker" and "slimier" than in TPF, but still rotten to the core.

He is starting to "grow on me" ha... I can't say I am a total out and out FAN yet... but I am starting to keep a more open mind when I see him on the listings.

I always hope the same thing, but then Allan's gesture would founder I guess and he might just become an almost pitiable character. He feels he's lived a futile life and this is his chance to be something really fine. What makes it tough is he's too young to feel like that.

It was a "grand" sacrifice.. but I just wished for MORE from him. He acted as if the ONLY way for her to have a "future" was for him to get her out of there to go fulfill her dream. He had NO idea that HE could have been her future... and her dream might have actually been BETTER had he been in it. But I guess when life has a person beaten down as far as he was... maybe he just had given up hope of ever feeling "worth" anything in life and he saw this as his shining moment. UGH.. I just wanted to SHAKE him.

It's one of the few times she plays a "soft" character, and I have to say they're among my favorites in her career. I just got through watching THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER, which has her in a decidedly supporting role, but a very likable and almost soft, every-day girl type. She does it really well.

I love TMWCTD. I missed it tonight, but I have seen it before. VERY entertaining.. and you are right. Her character is very likable and she does do a nice job in it all.

As Gabriella she's good at projecting pent up, frustrated energy. There were times I felt like her when I was a kid in Texas

I have had a few of those moments myself.. knowing there is SOMETHING out there for you.. but not know HOW or WHEN or maybe even WHAT... oh to be 20 again... nah.. I don't think I could handle it. The last gazillion years have taken their toll on me... HA!! :-)

Charley has such an incredible amount of energy in all his characters. I can't believe how much pep he has sometimes. I get tired watching him! It's darling how childlike his enthusiasm is. He plays essentially the same character in JUDGE PRIEST.

That's one that is still on my wanna see list. I bet he was a HOOT if his character was like this one.

Edited by: rohanaka on Dec 20, 2009 12:09 AM

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Simian!! That's perfect... the way he kept his arms sort of "hanging down". (ha.. I told the QT it looked like his shirt was too tight across the shoulders or something.. HA!!!) But I thought he was VERY menacing and quite intimidating. He makes a pretty believable "bad guy". I liked his role in The Oklahoma Kid. He was a bit "slicker" and "slimier" than in TPF, but still rotten to the core.

>

I only saw parts of that one, and parts of THE RETURN OF DR X (a Bronxie fave, I believe). He was pretty creepy in both!

> He is starting to "grow on me" ha... I can't say I am a total out and out FAN yet... but I am starting to keep a more open mind when I see him on the listings.

>

Have you seen him as Roy Earle in HIGH SIERRA yet? That's my favorite Bogart character.

>

> It was a "grand" sacrifice.. but I just wished for MORE from him. He acted as if the ONLY way for her to have a "future" was for him to get her out of there to go fulfill her dream. He had NO idea that HE could have been her future... and her dream might have actually been BETTER had he been in it. But I guess when life has a person beaten down as far as he was... maybe he just had given up hope of ever feeling "worth" anything in life and he saw this as his shining moment. UGH.. I just wanted to SHAKE him.

>

You are totally right. He had all this intelligence, experience, talent and potential, yet he acted like his life was over. Such rubbish. I agree he was dead WRONG to have that idea so fixed in his head, but I can only conclude he never had anyone tell him any different and he was a little on the cuckoo side anyway... :D

>

> I have had a few of those moments myself.. knowing there is SOMETHING out there for you.. but not know HOW or WHEN or maybe even WHAT... oh to be 20 again... nah.. I don't think I could handle it. The last gazillion years have taken their toll on me... HA!! :-)

>

Oh, I wouldn't go back to 20 either.

>

> That's one that is still on my wanna see list. I bet he was a HOOT if his character was like this one.

>

He is always telling the story of his civil war exploits, only every time you see him he tells it different and everyone knows he's pulling a long bow. It's very cute.

The movie's kind of a downer for me...so I don't always watch it. (I do have it on tape). But I do smile when I see it b'cuz I remember a high school classmate of mine told us kids that her uncle was in the movie. Nope, not as the chauffeur...(but the other Black guy)...one of Duke Mantee's bad guys. I remember thinking that that was glamorous. I guess I still kind of do.

Bogie-Bette-Leslie: All three leads personified a different alternative to how Life can be dealt with. Not one of my favorites...but I recognize its greatness and how it helped the career and perception of Humphrey Bogart.

Ro...glad to see you're opening up to your tomatoes man.

Ro-

I love that you are going deep into tomato country!

This is a movie that I loved when I was younger.

MissG - I was on the other side of the border, in Oklahoma, dreaming that Leslie Howard would come and take me away.... I have adored him ever since seeing him in this movie for the first time.

CinneMaven - I love your story of the uncle who played Duke's glamorous pal. I have always liked that character a lot . I haven't seen it for a while, but I think there's even a scene between him and the chauffeur in which he tells the chauffeur to stop working for the man... one only wishes that there was more between these two in the movie.

I second MissG's recommendation fo High SIerra, and I would also suggest The African Queen.

Great ramble guys... my heart aches about the ending, Ro.....

Hi there, Miss G.

Have you seen him as Roy Earle in HIGH SIERRA yet? That's my favorite Bogart character

I have not seen that one. I went in and looked it up and checked out the trailer... it looks pretty intense. (but WHAT about that haircut??? ha) I think I had it marked as one I wanted to watch when it aired earlier this month... and it came on so late (and I am such a DOPE about setting the vcr...ha) I missed it. But I will keep an eye out.

can only conclude he never had anyone tell him any different and he was a little on the cuckoo side anyway...

Just a LITTLE cuckoo.. ha. (or maybe he was just "eccentric" ha) Anyway.. I think he was one of those who never reached for anything "high" or grand but just let himself be carried along... (but I may be mis-remembering him.. ha) I think you are right that no one ever gave him any reason to feel any different than he did about what he REALLY was worth as a human being. (kinda sad... )

Oh, I wouldn't go back to 20 either.

HA!!! Sounds like we both better keep moving forward then... ha. (But if you did go back, at least you wouldnt have nearly so far to go back as I would ..ha.)

HIYA Miss Maven and Ms Favell...

I LOVED the exchange between the chauffeur and the "other" man. I think there were several really well written side exchanges between all of the extra characters in this film. And I would have liked to see some of them... this one included... played up a bit more even. I think it made the "waiting" game that they got caught up in seem more REAL to me for them that it all seemed to bring out their "true" characters.

RE: *The Tomato* :-) He IS getting sweeter.... but The African Queen?? Oh.. I don't know if I can go THAT far yet.. ha. (I did try to watch part of it one time... but that was when I was still in my "denial" stage. Maybe I should try again. (ha)

Alright... let's see... so far I LOVED him in The OK Kid... I enjoyed To Have and Have Not (and thought he was FAR better than I expected. I thought he did a VERY good job as DIX (even though I had my "ISSUES" with Dix... ha) in In a Lonely Place... and I also liked him in Dark Victory (although his role is not that big) Golly... I even liked him in Sabrina... :-)

I recorded The Big Sleep (but have not had a chance to watch it yet) but I am looking forward to it. And after all I heard about it.... I am HOPING to watch the one with Agnes Moorhead that is coming up in the next few days (is it Dark Passage?)

So... to give me the "definitive" HB experience, what OTHER Bogie films would you gals recommend???

DEFINITELY *The Maltese Tomato*, I mean *Falcon*... and I think you will love *The Big Sleep* , just don't try to figure out the plot. Go with the flow.....

One of my favorites (and I think you would like it a lot) is *We're No Angels.* It's not the greatest movie, but I have a very soft spot in my heart for it. I really love it.

I also like *Beat the Devil* , but it is a black comedy, and I don't know how much you like that type of thing. I think it would appeal to your sense of humor, but I may be completely off. You might hate it. :)

*High Sierra* is super, vintage Bogart and a very, very good movie.

I still say you cannot help but like Bogie in *The African Queen* , but I have to remember baby steps, baby steps....

Edited by: JackFavell on Dec 20, 2009 3:21 PM

Forgive me for not going back pages here and looking up your tomato gallery for what Bogart films you HAVE seen. I hope I'm not being redundant or duplicating material that was already talked about. But I would recommend for you...the ULTIMATE BOGART FILM:

" C A S A B L A N C A "

I, for one, am not a fan of "THE AFRICAN QUEEN" and thought he should have won his Oscar for "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" "Casablanca" or "The Caine Mutiny."

In "CASABLANCA" you get a couple of Bogarts: TOUGH Bogie, FAIR Bogie, CYNICAL Bogie, HEARTBROKEN Bogie, SARDONIC Bogie and the most ROMANTIC Bogie you could ever see. There's your entire tomato patch in one fell swoop, Ro.

B-r-r-r-. NYC just got about 15 inches - 2 feet of snow and I HATE SNOW!!! Yuck! This'll be the beginning (for me) of a cold friendship.

Ro...I'm glad to see you slowly but surely coming around to appreciate the great Humphrey Bogart.

Oh my gosh, Maven, yes!

*C A S A B L A N C A !*

It's a great movie, thanks mostly to Bogie. He really goes through the changes. It's fast moving and highly romantic. And it has a great cast including Claude Rains who I know you like. Watch it first.

Maven, you mentioned one that I should have said immediately - *Treasure of the Sierra Madre* - Ro- I think this one you would really like. There is no denying his acting skills are at tip top in this one.

Just finished watching "THE GIANT WORLD OF EPICS" and I enjoyed it immensely. Big sets big score, big cast...from Griffith to Wyler to Selznick...from "Birth of A Nation" to "Gone With the Wind" to "Ben-Hur" to "Lawrence Of Zhivago" and "Spartacus." I loved seeing & hearing Omar Shariff. Samson...the Chariot Race...the Rebel dead in the railroad station...WoW!

It was a wonderful documentary. And when its done right...you can't beat watching an epic and investing your time and emotion in it.

You know, Maven, I think after all these years I am FINALLY really appreciating Bogart in CASABLANCA as I never have before. I may have taken it for granted (like THE AFRICAN QUEEN, which I always thought was just a crowd-pleaser) and even felt contemptuous of Rick's drunken self-pity at the bar (complete with pounded fist), the "heartbroken" Bogie as you say, but you're right -- I think we have the perfect amalgam of his anti-hero appeal in CASABLANCA, and yes, he could have won an Oscar for this performance. (I'll include THE MALTESE FALCON in your award line-up)

I like the "build-up" we get prior to Rick's first appearance. This was obviously an attempt to turn Bogart into a bona fide romantic leading man.

Wow ladies... you have a nice list going on for me.. (ha... and I SHOULD have asked you this question MUCH earlier because I missed Casablanca AND The Maltese Falcon AND The Treasure of the Sierra Madre the other day (ha) But I DID intend to watch them... if that counts. :-)

I just got busy with other stuff and did not get a chance to see or record any of them. (and all three of those are on my "I'm almost TOO embarrassed to admit I've never seen them" list... HA!! So for NO other reason that THAT I feel I should give them a try.) :-) Fortunately they are all fairly easy to find and will be playing again later this winter... so maybe will EVENTUALLY buckle down and MAKE myself watch them. (No really.. I promise.. ha)

I will check out your other recommendations too. You gals have yet to steer my wrong.

But do I REALLY have to watch that African Queen movie... (really???) :-) OH... alright.. Tomayto... Tomotto.. I give up.. I will try again.. someday. (ha) Never let it be said that I was a chicken when it comes to trying new foods.. I mean movies.. Ha. (my Grandma would be so proud!) :D

PS: all my East Coast friends.... hang in there... batten down those hatches... bundle up... stay safe... (I'm am running out of encouraging expressions... ha.. but you get the idea.... take care, folks) :-)

>

> Just a LITTLE cuckoo.. ha. (or maybe he was just "eccentric" ha) Anyway.. I think he was one of those who never reached for anything "high" or grand but just let himself be carried along... (but I may be mis-remembering him.. ha) I think you are right that no one ever gave him any reason to feel any different than he did about what he REALLY was worth as a human being. (kinda sad... )

>

He might also have been an impractical idealist not coping well with a cynical world. He seemed to try to fit his philosophies---mostly derived from books it seems, rather than from experience---to his circumstances, and that often leads to heartache.

It's funny the happiest person in the whole play is Charley Grapewin's character. :D

I also think you should give the casa blanca a try, if only to cross a really big one off your list.

It's a great film and moves VERY quickly so you won't be bored.

He might also have been an impractical idealist not coping well with a cynical world. He seemed to try to fit his philosophies---mostly derived from books it seems, rather than from experience---to his circumstances, and that often leads to heartache.

That's a perfect way to say it.. and also sad but true.

It's funny the happiest person in the whole play is Charley Grapewin's character

He definitely had his own little way of looking at the world. ha. I guess it pays to be a bit off your rocker now and then. :-)

Well.. I went to the library..... and quess what??? I found BOTH Casablanca and High Sierra... so OF COURSE after all this discussion, I had to check them out. (And I must say it felt SO strange for ME to be walking out of there holding HB in my hot little hands... ha.) This has been a banner year for me... ha. First Henry Fonda.. then NOIR films... and now THIS. What IS the world coming to??? :-)

Well.. I went to the library..... and quess what??? I found BOTH Casablanca and High Sierra... so OF COURSE after all this discussion, I had to check them out. (And I must say it felt SO strange for ME to be walking out of there holding HB in my hot little hands... ha.) This has been a banner year for me... ha. First Henry Fonda.. then NOIR films... and now THIS. What IS the world coming to???

HA!!! This IS a pretty pickle! I am not sure I recognize this person anymore...is this the Peacemaking Quiet Gal or Annie Laurie Starr?

is this the Peacemaking Quiet Gal or Annie Laurie Starr?

HA!!! Well... I THINK it is still me... (but I DO feel like I am having a bit of an identity crisis lately) ha.

PLUS (PS) for THAT clip to be me.. I'd have to have one of those EXTREME MAKEOVERS for sure.. HA!! (Wowsa that was some mighty fine shootin', though!!) :D