Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beulah is a piece of work. It is hard to imagine a woman was ever of a personality that she could have been a new bride looking forward to life and children and growing old in a family. An accident changes all that. She becomes bitter and cold and mean and uncaring. Another accident almost revives it but really takes away the chance to be that again.

April mentioned Betty Field and she is great fun. A tomboy that hasn't lost her ability to be a girl, if you will. I had thought that if done a few years later Gail Russell might have been good in her role.

It looks like a hard life. It takes its toll on the community. They are superstitious and wary of anyone they don't know. Change almost does not seem an option. An oath sworn unto themselves is not easily broken. They never let consequences get in the way of what they "need" to do.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Beulah is a piece of work. It is hard to imagine a woman was ever of a personality that she could have been a new bride looking forward to life and children and growing old in a family. An accident changes all that. She becomes bitter and cold and mean and uncaring. Another accident almost revives it but really takes away the chance to be that again.

>

It's amazing to think this is the same sweet little woman from It's a Wonderful Life and Of Human Hearts. :D

> April mentioned Betty Field and she is great fun. A tomboy that hasn't lost her ability to be a girl, if you will. I had thought that if done a few years later Gail Russell might have been good in her role.

>

Ooh, now that would be adorable had Gail been cast. But Betty does well and she comes off as a real person, not a caricature.

> It looks like a hard life. It takes its toll on the community. They are superstitious and wary of anyone they don't know. Change almost does not seem an option. An oath sworn unto themselves is not easily broken. They never let consequences get in the way of what they "need" to do.

You said it. It is a harsh way of life and they are none to fond of the law or anyone interfering with their way of life. You can see the danger that Wayne's character is in of becoming just like the others...too hard bitten and anti-social. I get the feeling that this is what Carey wishes most of all to avoid, if he can. He doesn't want to see the young man wreck his life out of misplaced bitterness. It's a rather lovely father-son tale.

It is a good "father/son" tale and Carey is quite patient with a community who mostly refuses to let him in. He refuses to be mad at anyone, not even Peter, I think, who gives him a rather rude house warming.

*SPOILERS BIG TIME*

Carey knows he will have trouble. (Not trying to give anything away.) Knowing what we know later shouldn't someone have caught on to why he was there and his connection to the area?

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> It is a good "father/son" tale and Carey is quite patient with a community who mostly refuses to let him in. He refuses to be mad at anyone, not even Peter, I think, who gives him a rather rude house warming.

>

He is "father patience", isn't he? I get the feeling he learned to be this way from, well, what happened.

> *SPOILERS BIG TIME*

>

> Carey knows he will have trouble. (Not trying to give anything away.) Knowing what we know later shouldn't someone have caught on to why he was there and his connection to the area?

I'll have to watch again to see what I make of it. I'm sure you're right, it sounds like one of those "expedient" stretches of the imagination to get the movie going.

Jackie!!!!! I am simply kvelling over those Cornel pix! Whoo! You're a sweetheart to have posted them here. I love the one with him and Jeanne Crain. (talk about two gorgeous brunettes) I like his paintings, they seem sort of moody.

I'm convinced that ever since Mom made that unfortunate comment about Franchot Tone, he's come back to haunt us.

Did anyone else want the transformed Charlotte to ignore Dr. Jaquith's reverse psychology in dealing with difficult people and just kick the HELL out of Bonita Granville when they meet at the dock?

"Take THAT, you miserable sorry little ****!!"

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 1, 2010 12:03 AM

> Feel free to repost up here if you like. I didn't mean to cover you up.... or I can delete these and post them elsewhere.

> No! Keep 'em! It will make Bronxie's day... and that's important to me.

Frank, don't ask for the moon, because I want to make you see stars.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Jackie!!!!! I am simply kvelling over those Cornel pix! Whoo! You're a sweetheart to have posted them here. I love the one with him and Jeanne Crain. (talk about two gorgeous brunettes) I like his paintings, they seem sort of moody.

>

> I'm convinced that ever since Mom made that unfortunate comment about Franchot Tone, he's come back to haunt us.

Ha! He's trying to come between you and Cornel!

Next thing you know, you'll tell me you Floridians are now overrun with a plague of angry turtles....

I just saw those pix of Cornel Wilde myself ( http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=149374&start=165&tstart=0 ). Whoa! To me, he's got a body like Gene Kelly and a face reminiscent of Dana Andrews.

My family used to go to the Whitestone Drive-In (in the Bronx). We saw "Send Me No Flowers" there. We also "The Naked Prey" there. Even though I was in the backseat probably fighting with my sister and brother, I noticed him, I noticed him.

Cornel's received my iffy rating on his movie choices and performances, but NAKED PREY is top-notch, all the way. Another 'What If-?' film, I suppose, but it's wonderfully 'procedural' in construction of the events that also allow character development as well. Cornel was fine in his role, but I think Ken Gambu earns most of my attention on these dozens of re-watches.

He must have been quite a commuter in his carrer - South Africa to LA isn't exactly a small jaunt. I wonder if there are African projects he worked on that IMDB doesn't carry?

MissG:

Help me out here. I watched "Seven Sinners" the other night and was not thrilled. I am inclined to think that I was in a bad mood because it wasn't funny (save for Billy Gilbert) and there wasn't much drama. One thing they knew how to do was tear up a saloon with a really good fight, twice.

One thing I'll say is that Wayne and Dietrich had some wonderful chemistry. (If rumors are true than that is understandable) but it bothers me when men follow around anyone like they were lost and stupid from love. Though Duke grew out of that. And I may be in the minority here but I am not at all fond of Dietrich's singing.

Gilbert's close to being over the top but he is good. I love him from L&H work.

Tell me what I missed. Maybe I'm still in a funk.

(Awaiting a slap upside my head. A "DiNozzo" for those who know.)

:D Hi Chris!

SEVEN SPOILERS!

Well, I don't know what to say...I really like Seven Sinners but my tastes are on everyone's "Most Questionable" list. :D I like that director Tay Garnett pulled a surprisingly loose performance from la Dietrich. She's very engaging and relaxed and for once I believed in her character (that she was what she was and not just posing beautifully and enigmatically). Her emotions were pretty much on her sleeve and that is so un-Dietrich like. Maybe it is because she and Wayne were involved at that point. The story I agree is just so-so; the main thing for me is that I am surprised to see a woman make a sacrifice like Dietrich does in what seemed a movie headed toward the typical Hollywood ending. Again we have Albert Dekker, this time playing the "Brownie" (Mogambo) role and I like how he was there for Bijou. I have to say my admiration for this actor keeps rising. I actually preferred him for Bijou to the Duke, who seemed just what he was, a lovely dalliance.

Of all the Duke-Dietrich teamings, I guess I prefer this one because it's the loosest, and has that surprisingly poignant ending.

7Sinners07.jpg

7Sinners08.jpg

By the way, I know Dietrich's "Cherry Malotte" in The Spoilers is similar to Bijou, but it's a different dynamic. Wayne is much more egotistical in that one and has more of an upper hand. He's still rather boyish in Seven Sinners and this too makes the movie seem a little "warmer" to me.

She was pretty loose. (That is a good word for her performance.) Maybe if Dekker had been in it more it I would see it more like you. They did some nice verbal fencing when they were together.

It will get another look someday. It has been a really long time since I have seen "Pittsburgh" so there is nothing to add for that pairing. Their pairing, other than Gilbert, was one part I did like once it got going.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time. I always respect your opinion.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > Jackie!!!!! I am simply kvelling over those Cornel pix! Whoo! You're a sweetheart to have posted them here. I love the one with him and Jeanne Crain. (talk about two gorgeous brunettes) I like his paintings, they seem sort of moody.

> >

> > I'm convinced that ever since Mom made that unfortunate comment about Franchot Tone, he's come back to haunt us.

>

> Ha! He's trying to come between you and Cornel!

Just let him TRY.

>

> Next thing you know, you'll tell me you Floridians are now overrun with a plague of angry turtles....

LOL!!!! And they'll all be wearing tuxedos.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> I just saw those pix of Cornel Wilde myself ( http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=149374&start=165&tstart=0 ). Whoa! To me, he's got a body like Gene Kelly and a face reminiscent of Dana Andrews.

>

> My family used to go to the Whitestone Drive-In (in the Bronx). We saw "Send Me No Flowers" there. We also "The Naked Prey" there. Even though I was in the backseat probably fighting with my sister and brother, I noticed him, I noticed him.

I never went to the Whitestone Drive-In, but we used to drive over the bridge a few times.

Oh I so know what you mean about really noticing Cornel. I first laid eyes on him in A SONG TO REMEMBER, and thought, "Who is that hunk in the ruffled shirts being hovered over by Paul Muni?"

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 5, 2010 10:20 PM

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> THE CROWDED SKY:

>

> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lurved it! Every proverbial moment of it. :D:D:D

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > THE CROWDED SKY:

> >

> > HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>

> I lurved it! Every proverbial moment of it. :D:D:D

****!! Was this a gem or was this a gem??? A laugh riot from start to finish. I was eating up every ridiculously melodramatic moment with the zoom lens, those "Strange Interlude" interior monologues and then the stupid flashbacks.

Dana Andrews's grown son made Troy Donahue look animated.

Rhonda Fleming talks about banana splits and Sigmund Freud in the same sentence. Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. is bare-chested in a boxing ring! (I've always had a slight crush on him, but without a shirt his head seemed enormous compared to the rest of his body) Keenan Wynn's moustache kept moving along with the plane. Dana looked a bit in his cups but who could blame him? Anne Francis actually repeats a line about Santa Claus losing his cookies. I like her stewardess humor with the "geese" before the emergency landing: "False teeth - Out!" She calls herself an "ex-tramp" and falls in love with the professionally sensitive John Kerr, who loves to paint. I kept hoping she was going to tell him, "When you speak of this movie in later years, and you will, be kind".

All this and Patsy Kelly too!

Heaven.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 6, 2010 6:52 AM

Oh I so know what you mean about really noticing Cornel. I first laid eyes on him in "A SONG TO REMEMBER", and thought, "Who is that hunk in the ruffled shirts being hovered over by Paul Muni?"

And when I saw that movie I remember saying: "Ooooh, that lady with the large forehead is wearing pants!!!!"