Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wow ladies... you have said a mouthful!! (and quite nicely I might add)

Miss Maven... your comments really bring out all the finer points for the story, as usual. I like how you have broken down all the characters.. even the lesser ones like Darwell. (I am still smiling just thinking about her, golly what a crack up)

And I liked how you brought out that Olga (Aline) puts her "armour" back on the next day after she lets her guard down the night before. It was also like a badge of honor almost.. the way she put that bandana back on her head, it was as if she was saying, "I may have taken a hit or two, but I am not down. I'm still standing."

PS Ms Favell,

I adored Aline's friend, Everett, played by Willard Robinson. He had no small talk. He had no fancy clothes or fancy patter

I really liked him a LOT. And he is a great example of what I mentioned about wishing this film was a bit longer so we could get to know more about some of the characters and their stories. I wanted his part in the film to be a bit more defined. And PS: both you gals.... I am such an eternal optimist.. I was so sad when I saw that she had fallen for her ex all over again. When she came outside and was transformed into this BEAUTIFUL creature, having left her overalls and work clothes for her dress and makeup, etc... I WANTED it to be for Everett, (especially since she sat down next to him). I wanted it to be as if she was saying to the former man, "I'll show you not only what you are missing, but also what I am now ready to give to someone far more worthy". I wanted it to be that kind of moment for her.

But no. And consequently, (and only just for a moment) I was as disappointed in her as I was for her at that moment in the story. And I know... that sounds harsh. I don't mean for it to. It was just a passing emotion. And I think it was because I just admired her so much for the way she seemed to have taken charge of her own life (and her sister) after overcoming such a regretful past. I sort of set her up on a pedestal and hated to see her fall, even if only a short distance.

And I think that may be at least a part of the same sort of emotion that broke down the sister when she finally gave in to her tears. She had just been humiliated herself.... and her one source of strength... the "idol" she had made out of her sister (that image that she used to hate of a woman who did not need a man, etc) turned out to be a false idol too... and maybe (even if ever so briefly) she felt as let down by Olga as she did by the man who had just dumped her. Seeing her sister in that "real" of a way (instead of just the way she always imagined her to be) was as if everything in her world just got turned up side down. But I do think it also HELPED her to see her sister was a "real" person afterall, and not just some tower of virtue in a pair of overalls. It will help her in the days ahead to know her sister really DOES understand how she feels.

Lyle Talbot was actually fascinating. I was glad she let him go. He would go on to have a life very similar to Aline's self exile. I hope he was scared straight

I hope so too. He was so much more sympathetic than his "partner" in crime. And you could tell he did not take any pleasure in the harm he was causing others. He had just fallen in with the wrong element and it had led him down a path he had not purposefully set out on . I like your scenario where he might end up in a similar life to hers... in seclusion and hidden away and maybe even helping others to "pay off" his debt to society in secret.

Wasn't this movie a refreshing change from some stories (where the women are all "dainty" and need someone to come along and show them what is what or rescue them in some way? And don't misunderstand, I am by no means any sort of feminist, and would not want to be lumped in to that category, but I am just saying that I do admire stories where a woman can be shown as capable and self reliant, and yet still be able to allow themselves to rely on a man's help... so long as he IS the right man. (like Olga did in the morning... when she had to decide what to do with the dead "rat" on the floor) I like that she not only 'allowed" but asked Everett to help her.

But she knew in the end she could count on him to do what she asked and never to say one word about it again as long as they lived.

That's it exactly. She was capable, and likely COULD have handled dealing with the sherrif and explaining the problem, or even making the problem disappear in secret, and nobody would have been the wiser. But I am glad she chose to handle it the by letting her friend deal with it for her. I expected her to take care of the body herself too... so I was surprised (and also relieved for her) that she asked him to deal with it. I think that says a LOT about how she really viewed him as a trustworthy and valuable friend... and maybe even a bit more.

OH gee, did I mention how I WISH this film was longer?? I wanted to have one of those Paul Harvey moments where we get to hear the "rest of the story". Ha

Good old.......................................................................................Paul Harvey. Remember how.............. he used to..................pause all the.................time when he ...............talked?

>PS: both you gals.... I am such an eternal optimist.. I was so sad when I saw that she had fallen for her ex all over again. When she came outside and was transformed into this BEAUTIFUL creature, having left her overalls and work clothes for her dress and makeup, etc... I WANTED it to be for Everett, (especially since she sat down next to him). I wanted it to be as if she was saying to the former man, "I'll show you not only what you are missing, but also what I am now ready to give to someone far more worthy". I wanted it to be that kind of moment for her.

I can completely agree with you.... I really wanted her to remain strong and show that rat that he was lucky to have had someone like her - but that she was too far above him NOW. Aaaaahhh. But you know, the story had a point....it was almost like Sense and Sensibility - one sister holding it all in, the other letting it all fly.... there has to be something in between - some mix of love and common sense somewhere. or maybe not... I don't know.

OH MY GOSH! I just saw the name Willard Robinson (Aline's friend Everett) in the credits for this movie *Housewife* coming on right now! It' stars Ann Dvorak and George Brent.

Edited by: JackFavell on Mar 15, 2010 1:32 PM

Remember how.............. he used to..................pause all the.................time when he ...............talked?

Ha.. yes. I loved that bit. (And now you know.... the REST... of the story.) ha.

it was almost like Sense and Sensibility - one sister holding it all in, the other letting it all fly.... there has to be something in between - some mix of love and common sense somewhere. or maybe not... I don't know.

That is a good comparison. I especially can see maybe a bit of Elinor in Olga... not a lot.. (because Miss Dashwood was too proper, ha) But I do see how they both held in EVERYTHING to the point that nobody around them believed they ever felt anything at all. Even Everett says something like that at the end (about how anyone else might be upset, but not Olga.. because she wasn't the type to let things bother her, or something like that. I don't remember the exact line)

(And PS that scene in S & S when Emma Thompson FINALLY comes unglued.. after all that time she held herself in check, OH golly, that is one of my most favorite scenes in a movie ever. ha.)

Yes, I think Everett says something like "someone like you who hasn't any feelings" - it hit me like a slap in the face, that line.

I don't think there was much of a comparison between S&S and HL, but it did come to me that they were something alike. I still think that Aline would have done a little better to relax with her sister just a bit..... but her crazy strong feelings make her actions make sense - she really couldn't control herself when it came to Jerry. That part was most UN-Jane Austen like.

- < JACKFAVELL writes > :

"I was bowled over by the film myself. Your review really captures that longing and undercurrent going on inside MacMahon. She is thrilling, so much there to grasp onto. Every look, every line had extra meaning. It makes me wish Aline had had a hundred more roles like it.?

Thank you much for the compliment. I really enjoyed the film. I love discovering gems. Thank you Madhat Molo...WHERE EVER YOU LURK!!

?The car pit was kind of a metaphor for her life, wasn't it? She had buried herself out in the desert and was happy in the shade under the car.... but you can't escape the heat of the desert (or love) for long.?

Aline is kind of a big boned gal, and she ran and dipped into the pit and fell to her knees to the dying Preston Foster with such ease. I?m lovin? her more and more.

?I thought the scene after Ann and the boy came home was as expressive a one as I have seen. He obviously had his way with her, and now he couldn't care less about her... in fact, she is already a millstone around his neck. Harsh! At least she was wise enough to realize it right away, not that it helps at all. And the casting of the sisters was brilliant as you say. When Aline wrapped her up and held her while she cried, I really felt for both of them.?

You?re soooooo right on here, Jaxxxson. Some guys have short-term memories. Young girls would do well to learn that. And some older gals too.

?I actually thought Preston Foster was a perfect choice for this role... he has no depth. I liked him in spite of his hatefulness.... it shows just how far you can go in the world if you are a heel who has confidence in himself.?

Oh no doubt, no doubt. Foster was a likeable cad up until he pulled that gun on Talbot. I thought Bruce Cabot could have played that role, though in 1934 he did look kind of too young-ish for Aline. She needs a man?s man. But I still wanna give Foster a good smack in the back o? the head!!

?I really enjoyed what you said about the ages of women - and I wouldn't have thought about the way the film represents every age so well unless you had said something.?

I take my Mavenhood veddy seriously. That?s a Maven?s job...to guide the way. ;-)

?I adored Aline's friend, Everett, played by Willard Robinson. He had no small talk. He had no fancy clothes or fancy patter. But she knew in the end she could count on him to do what she asked and never to say one word about it again as long as they lived.?

Oh yes Jackaaaay, you and I will have to arm wrestle over ?Everett.? I loved him. Seeee, the rebound man doesn?t always have to be dopey like Ralph Bellamy...

?The thing that sticks in my mind about this film most is the look on Aline's face after she catches Foster at the safe. That look was haunting and she held it and held it, all inside. It made tears well up for me, anyway.?

You ol? Softy (or is that Softee?) For me, the scene by the wooden post got to me. She held on for dear life. How sadly she looks when he walks away. How sad.

- < ROHANAKA writes > :

?I am such an eternal optimist.. I was so sad when I saw that she had fallen for her ex all over again. When she came outside and was transformed into this BEAUTIFUL creature, having left her overalls and work clothes for her dress and makeup, etc... I WANTED it to be for Everett, (especially since she sat down next to him). I wanted it to be as if she was saying to the former man, "I'll show you not only what you are missing, but also what I am now ready to give to someone far more worthy.? I wanted it to be that kind of moment for her.?

I understand what you?re saying. But you know how Hollywood is. The handsome guy gets the pretty girl. Yes, she sat next to Everett; even tried to act like he?s seen her dolled up before, when clearly...he had not. But keep your eternal optimism, Ro. I believe Everett will win her in the end. First, a lovely walk on the moonlit desert. Then a ride into town for some ice cream. He might even take her to a picture show. They?ll have a life together...as long as he takes it easy.

?And consequently, (and only just for a moment) I was as disappointed in her as I was for her at that moment in the story. And I know... that sounds harsh. I don't mean for it to. It was just a passing emotion. And I think it was because I just admired her so much for the way she seemed to have taken charge of her own life (and her sister) after overcoming such a regretful past. I sort of set her up on a pedestal and hated to see her fall, even if only a short distance.?

Ah-HA!! You fell into the (possible) same trap her sister fell into. But it?s okay. I guess we all look up to Aline. I?ve got to look at ?GUEST IN THE HOUSE? again and get another MacMahon fix.

?But I do think it also HELPED her to see her sister was a "real" person afterall, and not just some tower of virtue in a pair of overalls. It will help her in the days ahead to know her sister really DOES understand how she feels.?

Oh wow, this was wonderful the way you put this. I think l?il sister got a real reality dose and will not think of her big sister as having feet of clay...but of really understanding.

(

)

?And don't misunderstand, I am by no means any sort of feminist, and would not want to be lumped in to that category...?

Easy...easy!! Take it easy...Like that?s a bad thing?

?That's it exactly. She was capable, and likely COULD have handled dealing with the sherrif and explaining the problem, or even making the problem disappear in secret, and nobody would have been the wiser. But I am glad she chose to handle it the by letting her friend deal with it for her. I expected her to take care of the body herself too... so I was surprised (and also relieved for her) that she asked him to deal with it. I think that says a LOT about how she really viewed him as a trustworthy and valuable friend... and maybe even a bit more.?

I also think it says a lot about our Aline. That she doesn?t have to hide what she did. It could play out both ways:

- She shot him ?cuz he was about to steal the jewels.

- She shot him b?cuz he admitted to using her.

I say ALINE FOR PRESIDENT!!!

Gosh, it's amazing that the user HollyG-Cellu-JarrodMac hasn't dumped this thread with their 300-a-day posts! I guess they get brownie points for filling up pages of posts!

Anyway... HEAT LIGHTNING is a film that reminds me why I love TCM. I saw this a few years ago and discovered Aline, and have been collecting her work ever since. I love the almost matter-of-fact killing at the end - more like a 'resolution event' than pulling a gun trigger. "It had to be..."

I've enjoyed each re-watching because of Aline as well as the fun supporting cast. McHugh, Ruth Donnelly is just about perfect, Jane Darwell & Edgar Kennedy, Glenda 'Torchy B' Farrell...

Preston Foster wasn't so much. An argument might be made that he shoulda stayed dead - he was no good in a lot of his films. I mean, as the judge in HARVEY GIRLS, he comes around fine enough, but Franklin Pangborn could have done that role. Or Allen Jenkins. I'm not sure what we'd have done without Preston in GUADALCANAL DIARY, though. Heck... OK, let him live...

Aline's other wonderful role is the next year's KIND LADY (1935). I kept yelling at her, "Keep that gun, honey! Don't leave it out in the desert - just because you move to some fancy house in a big city, there are still plenty o' varmints!" And, by George, here comes Basil Rathbone. And without his pipe, either. That's ALWAYS a bad sign. Still, Aline remains one of my favorites because of that incredibly expressive face - even in it's passive stillness, her most dour look seems so powerful.

And of everyone in that film, who'd have thought it would be Lyle Talbot that was have so many credits in his career? I just wish he had a better track record of picking his on-screen friends. I don't think he EVER learned!

>Aline remains one of my favorites because of that incredibly expressive face - even in it's passive stillness, her most dour look seems so powerful.

That was beautiful, Ollie!

Passive stillness....yes, there is something so powerful about those silent moments in every one of her films..... I can pull them up in my mind - the look she gives Edward G.Robinson in the bar in *Five Star Final*, the way she stands ready to take her punishment when she tells Warren Hymer about her past in *One Way Passage*.... Thank god there were directors who didn't cut away from her while she was so intently watching and listening to the other actors.....

The handsome guy gets the pretty girl. Yes, she sat next to Everett; even tried to act like he?s seen her dolled up before, when clearly...he had not. But keep your eternal optimism, Ro. I believe Everett will win her in the end. First, a lovely walk on the moonlit desert. Then a ride into town for some ice cream. He might even take her to a picture show. They?ll have a life together...as long as he takes it easy.

Hiya Miss Maven,

I think Everett will win out too, someday. (I like your scenarios about how they might evenutally progress. I see them as an older couple enjoying retirement out there in the desert someday.

Like that?s a bad thing?

Ummmmmm... probably depends on who is writing the definition in the dictionary. But I am glad we don't have to define it here, dear friend. :-)

also think it says a lot about our Aline. That she doesn?t have to hide what she did. It could play out both ways:

She shot him ?cuz he was about to steal the jewels

She shot him b?cuz he admitted to using her

Oh, I think she SAID A) that it was because of the jewels. But we all know it was really B) because of what he said. Should she have pulled the trigger??? Oh golly... I know my heart says one thing but my head says another.

PS: Ollie.. glad to have you stop by, sir. I enjoyed your comments about Aline.. I need to look up some of the titles you folks have mentioned. I have some catching up to do, but I can already see (by the few of her films I have seen) why she is a favorite. She really is something, isn't she?

?Here is a moviemorlocks article on Aline MacMahon in Heat Lightning, by our own MoiraFinnie: http://moviemorlocks.com/2008/03/26/the-essential-aline/? -

< JACKFAVELL >

Jackaaaaay, thanks so much for that reference. That is something I?m going to have to print up, and luxuriously take my time reading. Moira?s writing and research shows depth and love of classic films.

?Oh, I think she SAID A) that it was because of the jewels. But we all know it was really B) because of what he said. Should she have pulled the trigger??? Oh golly... I know my heart says one thing but my head says another.? - < ROHANAKA >

Oh my head and heart say the saaaaaaaaaaaaame thing: 'SHOOT FIRST! ASK QUESTIONS LATER!!! THEN SH :D:D:D T AGAIN!!'

?I wonder if Moira knows this discussion is going on?? - < MOVIEMAN >

Ha!!! She?s probably having a good time at the oasis where moderation makes sense.

I can't believe anyone asks CineMaven about actresses who are gunnin' down those poor ol' helpless males. At least Aline didn't chase hers off the front porch, down the steps and out into the lawn, emptyin' her six-shooter into his worthless hide.

At least Aline didn't chase hers off the front porch, down the steps and out into the lawn, emptyin' her six-shooter into his worthless hide.

Hahahaha!!!!! And there won't be any bereaved widows showing up with incriminating letters.. that we know of... :D

Hello there, Miss Goddess and my fellow rambling friends...

I hope you won't mind this little detour, but the kidling and I had way too much fun a couple of weekends ago making some screencaps for my daughter in law (for her birthday). She is an avid Wizard of Oz fan (and even a collector) and so when the kidling got that film for Christmas this year on DVD, I promised the daughter in law some pics from her favorite scenes of the movie.

Well, I started out just making THOSE screencaps... and well... ha... the kidling showed up and started saying, "But Mom, what about..." and "Oh.. get that part too" and before you know it... ha... I had this whole PROJECT going on.

Now I have to say that I have always loved The Wizard of Oz. And as I have grown older, I am truly beside myself just seeing my daughter enjoy it too. It is so much fun to experience it all again with her. So she and I spent a LOT of time going over all the finer points of this film together. Boy did we have fun.

I will say that one thing that I find to happen a LOT in making screencaps (and I know you will know what I am talking about because many of you have said it too) is the amount of extra detail you can catch in a film when you are studying it so closely like that. So I was not surprised when I started to see some things that caught my eye. But OH MY GOLLY, as we went along, I have to say this movie was packed FULL of all sorts of fun and interesting things that I never noticed before. (at least they were fun and interesting to me and the kidling) ha.

Now I have to say, that some of the clarity I was seeing on the screen got lost when I made these screencaps, and that is disappointing to me. I really wish you could see it in the same sort of detail that I did. But to get the FULL effect, try watching the DVD on your computer sometime. It really is an eye popper. But be that as it may, with your permission, I would like to share just a few of the pics I made to give you an idea of some of my new found ?things? I either never noticed, or fully appreciated before about this movie.

oz1-1.jpg

First off, I never really fully appreciated how beautiful and rich all the black and white scenes really are. As I sat there pausing all the various places in the DVD so I could capture the images, I just kept staring at all the pretty color. And I know that sounds backwards (because I am not talking about the ?color? portion of the film, but the black and white) And I realized that I truly do love this early part of the film for how rich it looks (even as much if not more as I enjoy the bright vivid colors in the ?Oz? portions of the movie.)

oz6-1.jpg

oz67-1.jpg

But truly, when it comes to noticing ?new? stuff about the movie (that I never saw before) most of it happened after Dorothy steps outside that door and everything turns to color, OH me, that is where the fun really began.

Now again, I could post shot after shot from just about EVERY scene in the movie, ha, because I just never really fully appreciated it all before. (but I will spare you) ha. But I do want to share just a few because it just amazes me that the costume people and set designers would put so much EXTRA detail in a film that has SO much to look at already.

First of all, with regard to the flowers, let me just say, WOW. Did I ever see more and more this time than I ever have before.

Now I know you are saying ?But Kathy, every where you look in Oz (except the witch?s castle) you will see flower after flower so what?s so new about THAT?? And you?d be right. There is LOTS of vegetation growing everywhere. I just never really noticed how MUCH.

oz24-1.jpg

oz133-1.jpg

(and PS, I had noticed for the first time that the munchkins had flowers on their shoes about a year of so ago, so that was no surprise this time, but LOOK at the back of the mayor?s coat.)

oz88-1.jpg

I NEVER noticed those flowers on his back before. The kidling and I laughed ourselves silly talking about where we thought they might be growing from. (And we?ll just leave it at that. HA!) :-)

Also with regard to the costumes, I never noticed that there were some little ?swirls? on the backs of the tin mans ?gloves? before. You might have to look a bit closely, but the kidling picked those out as we were watching. (good eye for a 7 yr old)

oz214.jpg

And speaking of details on costumes, the WITCH was a total surprise to me as well. And this detail I am mentioning may be hard to pick up. (but I hope you can make it out) I had to sort of crop the picture and change the size to get it to show up at all in the screen cap, but BOY did it stand out on the computer screen as I was watching I never realized her dress was anything but just a basic black plain old witch?s garb. But BOY does it have some detail. It has a lace up bodice, and an almost scallop design along the hem of the blouse. (I think it is two pieces) I NEVER ever saw all that before.

oz186.png

Even her broom had details to it I never noticed before. Look closely at the ring near the end of the handle, (on the pic above) and also look at the basket weave that holds the straw together (on the pic below) Way more interesting than just your average old broom. And yet with so much going on in all those scenes where the broom is present, who would have thought they would have gone to so much trouble?

oz31-1.jpg

And again, with regard to the witch, one place where all this attention to detail really caught my eye (for the first time) was in her castle. I always THOUGHT it was the most ?dull? set of all, because it was just this big cold, gray, scary looking stone building without much color or without any real character. But BOY was I wrong.

LOOK at the detail on the mosaic pattern on the table (behind the crystal ball). not to mention all the neat little artifacts and trinkets (mostly gold) that are scattered on the top of the table. And look at the crystal ball as well. LOTS of interesting ?stuff? going on with the base of that thing. And there is a sort of zodiac looking pattern on the floor, not to mention all sorts of ?witchly? tools on the shelf behind where she and Dorothy are struggling (for Toto) and OH , ha, LOOK at the skeleton hand on the book, I NEVER saw THAT before.

oz211.jpg

oz210.jpg

oz204.jpg

Now I know this has been a long post already, so I hope you will forgive me if I just mention a couple more things.

One is, all the ?style? that is going on in the Emerald City. Oh my golly. I never realized all the variety there is to be found in all the hair styles, hats, dresses, and coats... Even the makeup. Everybody just looked like they were wearing ?green? before, but then I started to really study them, and they are all a bit unique and individual. It may not show up as good in this cap, but I really was impressed. (oh, and PS: check out the ONE guy w/ his hat off and the RED hair, ha)

oz129-1.jpg

Another thing that I KNEW about this film as a kid (but never fully appreciated as an adult) is how SCARY it all is too, when the witch starts to really come after Dorothy. All this new attention to the details in the film really made that stand out for me even more.

oz147-1.jpg

oz149-1.jpg

oz154-1.jpg

oz156-1.jpg

oz159-1.jpg

OH my golly. Those monkeys chasing after everybody, and that forest with all the creepy trees, and that awful scene where it changes from Aunt Em to the witch in that crystal ball... OH good grief, just looking at all those shots one by one, I got the chills up my spine JUST like I used to when I was little (but at least this time I did not go run behind the kitchen door, ha)

Well, my friends. I HAVE to stop. Ha. I am SURE by now you are rolling your eyes and thinking, "OK, Kathy, we get it. You are obsessed with the Wizard of Oz, now?

Plus, if I don?t quit now, I will likely be posting LONG into the night. Because I think I really AM obsessed, Ha. (and also if I don't shut up soon, you will kick me out of this place forever) :D

So I am sorry to drag you all into my obsession, ha. But thanks for letting me share all this with you. And for putting up w/ my ?OH WOW! LOOK AT THAT? party. :D

But truthfully, I love that I can be still amazed in a whole new way by this film that I have loved for so long. I like that I can find something new to appreciate about this movie after all these years. I have always thought of it as a feast for the eyes to be sure. But it just amazes me how much stuff I have missed from a movie that I have watched repeatedly (I have no idea how many times) since childhood. (and I am an OLD woman, so that is saying a LOT) HA!

Thanks VERY much for letting me ramble (on and on) again my friends. I appreciate you putting up with me.

oz57-1.jpg

Edited by: rohanaka on Mar 19, 2010 1:10 AM

Oh, you are a sweetheart!

I love that you got so much out of the film - I have to admit, I have never gone into such detail with it, but every year, something new will stand out to me.

It's interesting that the witch is dressed in very traditional old fashioned 1890's garb, with lace and all, much like Elvira Gulch was but much fancier. Is this a comment on age at all? Because Glinda is right up to date in her fashion. :) I think Wicked is jealous. But then, Elvira is MUCH fancier than Auntie Em... she is obviously the wealthy woman who holds the entire town or outlying area hostage because she has money.

I have always noticed in those scenes with the globe (oh the horror of auntie Em turning into the wicked witch!) how ornate it was, and the different birc a brac in her castle room.... it's a little weird but since i was a kid I have been fascinated by witches, and I like the part where she starts making up a potion... the jars and stuff always make me interested in what's going on in the background.... and I see an armillary sphere there in one of those caps too that is very cool.

One of the things that cracks me up about this movie is not even in the movie at all... but in movies made by MGM at the same time. The one that immediately springs to my mind is The Women..... in the fashion show section, there are all kinds of outfits that look exactly like Munchkinland garb - and this isn't the only movie in which women show up wearing tall munhckin striped hats, or full aproned dresses that are obviously inspired by or designed by the same designer of OZ.

Anyway, thansk for taking the time to point out some of the cool things about the design of this film. I did notice the broomstick before...when she sticks it in the fire, I could almost cry, because of the woven texture on the bottom of the straw part going up in flames....I am sure someone worked long and hard making it, just to watch it get destroyed....

Hey Jackaaaay, how's it going?

Rohanaka...whew!!! What great observations you made about this movie. When my sister and I were little kids, we anxiously awaited this movie every year it aired. It was like a major event and we always sad when it ended. ("Man, why can't this movie be longer!!" we used to complain.) Admittedly, I have not sat and watched the movie in its entirety in many, many a year. But your post has now given me new things to look for the next time I do see the film. And there's a certain little seven-year old nephew of mine that I think I can share this with.

I want to take him to see the upcoming "Clash of the Titans." (He lives in Killeen, Texas). But the fantasy of "The Wizard of Oz" will use a different part of his brain and imagination. And mine too.

A real nice ramble, Ro.

Outstanding post, Rohanaka! I admit that I never picked up even half of those details, though I did see a LOT more to the set design when I watched on the big screen a while back. It's an extraordinarily crafted piece of fantasy and your post has helped me appreciate even more all the hard work and talent that went on behind the scenes to create all those magical worlds.

Thanks ladies... I appreciate you putting up with my "ramblings" ha.

Miss G:

I did see a LOT more to the set design when I watched on the big screen a while back. It's an extraordinarily crafted piece of fantasy

OH I am still jealous that you got to see this film on the big screen like that. I remember the story you told about what a special night it turned out to be for you and your friends. And just the experience of all that "granduer" up on the larger screen had to be an awesome thing.

Miss Favell:

have always noticed in those scenes with the globe (oh the horror of auntie Em turning into the wicked witch!) how ornate it was, and the different birc a brac in her castle room.... it's a little weird but since i was a kid I have been fascinated by witches, and I like the part where she starts making up a potion... the jars and stuff always make me interested in what's going on in the background.... and I see an armillary sphere there in one of those caps too that is very cool

That whole part of the movie used to scare me so much when I was little, ha, that I must have tuned out all the little treasures on that table top. ha. (and you are right... OH THE HORROR of sweet beloved Auntie Em turning into the witch...AAAGGGHHH. ha. It still sends a shiver up my spine. (And PS: Wasn't it a wonderful world when THAT was the scariest thing we ever had to think about in a days time?? sigh)

One of the things that cracks me up about this movie is not even in the movie at all... but in movies made by MGM at the same time. The one that immediately springs to my mind is The Women..... in the fashion show section, there are all kinds of outfits that look exactly like Munchkinland garb - and this isn't the only movie in which women show up wearing tall munhckin striped hats, or full aproned dresses that are obviously inspired by or designed by the same designer of OZ

How funny.. ha. I will have to watch for it the next time I see that movie.. but I do recall those ladies had some unique designs in their wardrobe... guess they weren't so unique afterall. ha. Those Munchkin folks were STYLIN' :D. OH gee they had so many different things going on in that part of the film. And I brought up the variety that I saw in the Emerald City folks.. but wow.. I should have mentioned the same thing for the Munchkins too. That pic I posted of them all standing there (with the flowers coming out of the mayor's back) is a perfect example of all the variety and style they had going on in those costumes.

PS: Miss Maven...

You and your sister sound like we did as kids growing up.. we could NOT WAIT for The Wizard of Oz to come around every year. Even as I got older, it was still something I looked forward to. That is the down side to all the convenience we have with the ability to have all our favorite films so readily accessible nowdays. You lose a bit of the anticipation. Oh for those nostalgic moments again. (sigh)

> Thanks ladies... I appreciate you putting up with my "ramblings" ha.

>

Not putting up a bit, Ro---it's rare enough to see any real thought put into movie discussion, so I hope you will keep on rambling as much as you can. You have built up my appreciation for the film.

Maven and ro -- Bravo!! (hey, that rhymes) CM, your HEAT LIGHTNING ramble gives me such insight into Aline as an actress and that particular character. Let's face it, you're just brilliant! Kathy, I'm loving your re-exploration of THE WIZARD OF OZ. You are another gem.