Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Give me a "blabbermouth" over a continual vapid one-line poster any time.

Did anyone mention about Judy Garland telling Jack Paar on his old t.v. talk show that some of the Munchkins were constantly acting up and getting plastered and had to be caught in nets? Judy had a wicked sense of humor.

What's always fascinated me about THE WIZARD OF OZ is the deft way it depicts the unconscious reality of dreams; dream-logic. Glinda asks Dorothy: "Did you bring your broomstick?" as though Dorothy were just another supernatural creature, and Dorothy answers her, "I'm afraid I didn't", even though she told Glinda earlier "I'm not a witch at all, I'm Dorothy Gale from Kansas". Then Glinda points at Toto: "Is that the witch?" Dorothy: "No, Toto's my dog". When Dorothy is trapped in the witch's castle, and she hears her three friends on the other side of the door, she calls out, "Hurry, the hourglass is almost empty!" as if they already know what's going on inside.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 20, 2010 1:50 AM

?Maven and ro -- Bravo!! (hey, that rhymes) CM, your 'HEAT LIGHTNING' ramble gives me such insight into Aline as an actress and that particular character. Let's face it, you're just brilliant! Kathy, I'm loving your re-exploration of THE WIZARD OF OZ. You are another gem.? -

< BRONXGIRL >

Bronxie, how?s it going ma?am? Brilliant? Pshaw!! I?m a little candlelight next to the beacons of knowledge and depth of thought I?ve read from some on this Message Board despite all the efforts to deflect, bury and infest. Whether it?s genres I love or ones I?m not so familiar with...I often say ?Whoa ____ You don?t know enough, so just shut up and read!? This little candle thanx you for the compliment in any event.

?What's always fascinated me about ?THE WIZARD OF OZ? is the deft way it depicts the unconscious reality of dreams; dream-logic...When Dorothy is trapped in the witch's castle, and she hears her three friends on the other side of the door, she calls out, "Hurry, the hourglass is almost empty!" as if they already know what's going on inside.? - < BRONXGIRL >

What you?ve said here is very interesting to me in my own writing. I?m working on a project now where I have characters comment on something they logically could not know, but l have them watch someone else?s flashback as though they were part of the viewing audience, which allows them TO comment. What you say about Dorothy speaks a bit to what I?m trying to do in my writing this series. I couldn?t explain it well to my co-producer, even though the scene does play out with the comical effect I was looking for, but maybe I?ll just have her read what you wrote re: ?The Wizard of Oz.? Thank you.

As for the vapidity of the one-line posters, it?s evident to all, they?re simply starved for attention. No big thaaang (as the kids say).

Your enabling fellow rambler,

CineMaven.

?You and your sister sound like we did as kids growing up.. we could NOT WAIT for The Wizard of Oz to come around every year. Even as I got older, it was still something I looked forward to. That is the down side to all the convenience we have with the ability to have all our favorite films so readily accessible nowdays. You lose a bit of the anticipation. Oh for those nostalgic moments again. (sigh)? - < ROHANAKA >

Hi there Ro-Ro. Your comment just re-confirms my thoughts that we (humans) really have more in common than we don?t have things in common. Thinking back to my experience as Guest Fan Programmer for Turner Classic Movies (again an event I think back on with incredulity that I was selected)...I expressed my nervousness to my guest in our hotel room at attending the cocktail party: (?Will I fit in?? ?Will I have something relevant to contribute to the conversation?? ?Am I a big fish in a little pond of my friends who don?t know as much about films as I do...and now being faced with other classic film buffs, will I fall short and be a teensy tiny little guppy?? She laughed by the way, told me to get dressed, and said I?d be fine). As I talked with people, and as people talked with me, my dumb little fears were assuaged almost immediately. The commonality was really striking.

Black/white/straight/gay/young/old male/female/tv professional-industry insiders/just plain folks, ALL shared a genuine appreciation and love and protection of classic films. Later in that (glorious) weekend when I was introduced and spoke to Tom Brown at the dinner party thrown for us fan programmers, he and I told each other similar stories about staying up late on school nights to watch the classic films that came on. (His outcome was more parent-approved, while my efforts were more covert than a CIA/FBI/KGB mission...and fraught with being exposed by my younger sister). Reading your comment, Rohanaka, is a heartening reminder of our commonality.

Oh...and you're right about this as well: having movies ON DEMAND, or on DVD or VHS has taken the anticipation out of the experience of movie viewing, somewhat. But there is something to be said for having access at our fingertips.

I'm torn.

Edited by: CineMaven on Mar 20, 2010 11:28 AM

I find it very easy to nominate WIZ OF OZ as the top film from Hollywood. It's got everything - great music - just about every song has transitioned into a Standard. Any key phrase - "over the rainbow" or even just "rainbow"... "if I only had a heart..." "Yellow brick road..." "We're off to see the wizard..."

So many lyrics are now clich?s because they fit so commonly in our speech.

The film has one of the most wicked villainess' of all time, and since so many films require a great villain to be a great film, this is certainly one of the most distinct and memorable.

The sets - top-notch. There are perhaps better sets here and there, but altogether?

Top notch special effects long before CGI could come close. I still think the Wiz superimposed over the spouting flames, and the head itself, the voice - everything about those scenes are penultimate in effects.

And the supporting cast - perhaps the most memorable - even before we get to Billie Burke and Frank Morgan!

It was certainly one of my childhood's most memorable films - even as a huge fan of monster films, there was no more frightening scene than seeing the Wicked Witch send off her flying monkeys. Brrr. It gets my vote for Best Film Ever.

(CM - I love your thwacks, by the way, too! We know those belong!)

Hiya Ollie..

I have to agree with you sir. I think The Wizard of Oz has to, at the very least, rank among the greatest ever (and in my book, it would be at or near the top)

You didn't know I was writing a book, did you??? HA!!!!!! :-) (kidding..ha. But, BOY just imagine how many pages THAT thing would have as much as I like to blab on and on!! ha)

So many lyrics are now clich?s because they fit so commonly in our speech

I was thinking that very thought the other day. There are so many "Wiz-icisms" ha.. in our culture and almost everyone knows them.. "We're not in Kansas anymore" "There's no place like home" and yes.. I know.. ha. that was around longer than the movie.. ha. but I think most people still think of this film when they hear it) etc, etc.

Top notch special effects long before CGI could come close. I still think the Wiz superimposed over the spouting flames, and the head itself, the voice - everything about those scenes are penultimate in effects.

OH.. and don't forget the cyclone!! (or twister.. or tornado.. ha. depends on what part of the country you live in..ha) Oh wow... I still think that is one of the most realistic "storms" in a movie I have ever seen. It was actually menacing.. and terrifying.. and BEAUTIFUL all at the same time. (much like what I think a real tornado would be.. ha. But I hope I never see one anywhere else but on tv to find out)

HI Miss Bronxie:

What's always fascinated me about ?THE WIZARD OF OZ? is the deft way it depicts the unconscious reality of dreams; dream-logic...When Dorothy is trapped in the witch's castle, and she hears her three friends on the other side of the door, she calls out, "Hurry, the hourglass is almost empty!" as if they already know what's going on inside.?

Ha.. that hourglass line always bugs me.. ha. At least since I have been old enough to figure out they have no idea what she is referring to.. ha. I keep expecting the scarecrow or lion to say.. "What hourglass" when they break through the door. ha But you are right.. this film doesn't worry about those sorts of issues. And it doesnt' have to make sense all the time anyway.. it IS a dream. (Or is it??? ha.)

Hiya Miss Maven:

comment just re-confirms my thoughts that we (humans) really have more in common than we don?t have things in common.

You have it right.. I think movies (and with regard to this conversation.. especially classic films) just have a way for breaking through all those other "issues' and give us all a common ground to build on. It is fun to meet so many people from so many walks of life and get to know a few of them. This message board has given me a chance to learn so much about films and actors and directors I might never have even noticed before.. but also to meet some really great people along the way.

And PS: Thanks for sharing more of your memories from the Fan Progammer event. That STILL seems like the coolest thing I think I ever heard. ha. (and here I am getting to talk every day to some of you folks.. GEE.. I love that)

Oh...and you're right about this as well: having movies ON DEMAND, or on DVD or VHS has taken the anticipation out of the experience of movie viewing, somewhat. But there is something to be said for having access at our fingertips. I'm torn.

Me too, kiddo. ha. I do like the convenience that the modern day technology allows.. but I miss some of that anticipation of looking forward to FINALLY getting to see that old fave that hasn't been on in a long while..

But come to think of it... GEE.. since my DVD and tape collection is NOTHING compared to some folks.. I guess I do get to have that "anticipation" thing TOO, here at TCM as well. ha. I get so excited to FINALLY get to see a film I haven't been able to catch before. But.. my problem is just REMEMBERING to check that doggone schedule... I have grown so forgetful in my old age... (sigh)

Edited by: rohanaka on Mar 21, 2010 2:00 AM

> {quote:title=patful wrote:}{quote}

> Sorry, I'll try to keep the vapidity to a minimum in my future one-liners.

You mean you eat Danish in front of exclusive jewelry store windows too?

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=patful wrote:}{quote}

> > Sorry, I'll try to keep the vapidity to a minimum in my future one-liners.

>

>

> You mean you eat Danish in front of exclusive jewelry store windows too?

HA!!!!

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=patful wrote:}{quote}

> > > Sorry, I'll try to keep the vapidity to a minimum in my future one-liners.

> >

> >

> > You mean you eat Danish in front of exclusive jewelry store windows too?

>

> HA!!!!

pubMasks01.jpg

> {quote:title=patful wrote:}{quote}

> *You mean you eat Danish in front of exclusive jewelry store windows too?* - B48

>

> Not continually, and never while pastrying Wiki.

Sticky Wikis! But hey, you're one of the good guys!

I remember my Manhattan prune Danish coffee breaks at the office, back in the day....

Luckily I never had a boss like Joan Crawford in THE BEST OF EVERYTHING.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> ?Maven and ro -- Bravo!! (hey, that rhymes) CM, your 'HEAT LIGHTNING' ramble gives me such insight into Aline as an actress and that particular character. Let's face it, you're just brilliant! Kathy, I'm loving your re-exploration of THE WIZARD OF OZ. You are another gem.? -

> < BRONXGIRL >

>

> Bronxie, how?s it going ma?am? Brilliant? Pshaw!! I?m a little candlelight next to the beacons of knowledge and depth of thought I?ve read from some on this Message Board despite all the efforts to deflect, bury and infest. Whether it?s genres I love or ones I?m not so familiar with...I often say ?Whoa ____ You don?t know enough, so just shut up and read!? This little candle thanx you for the compliment in any event.

You burn brightly, my friend. Your passion is our joy!

>

> ?What's always fascinated me about ?THE WIZARD OF OZ? is the deft way it depicts the unconscious reality of dreams; dream-logic...When Dorothy is trapped in the witch's castle, and she hears her three friends on the other side of the door, she calls out, "Hurry, the hourglass is almost empty!" as if they already know what's going on inside.? - < BRONXGIRL >

>

> What you?ve said here is very interesting to me in my own writing. I?m working on a project now where I have characters comment on something they logically could not know, but l have them watch someone else?s flashback as though they were part of the viewing audience, which allows them TO comment. What you say about Dorothy speaks a bit to what I?m trying to do in my writing this series. I couldn?t explain it well to my co-producer, even though the scene does play out with the comical effect I was looking for, but maybe I?ll just have her read what you wrote re: ?The Wizard of Oz.? Thank you.

Wow. You're welcome.

I'm getting strange flashbacks of Curd Jurgens.

>

> As for the vapidity of the one-line posters, it?s evident to all, they?re simply starved for attention. No big thaaang (as the kids say).

So true.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 22, 2010 3:39 AM

> Ha.. that hourglass line always bugs me.. ha. At least since I have been old enough to figure out they have no idea what she is referring to.. ha. I keep expecting the scarecrow or lion to say.. "What hourglass" when they break through the door. ha But you are right.. this film doesn't worry about those sorts of issues. And it doesnt' have to make sense all the time anyway.. it IS a dream. (Or is it??? ha.)

The b&w opening sequences make it clear that Dorothy will be incorporating the farmhands and almost everyone else she knows, into her dream characters, so the movie isn't really a fantasy, is it? She's just having a pip of a nightmare, but still it's so uncomfortably real to her, it hits "home".

I'm still trying to make sense of the guard song.

It always sounded like they were singing about a certain cream-filled cookie.

"Oreo -- oh, OH, oh!"

I always thought they were singing about Oreos, too.

I also thought about Oleo, Oleeeeeoh, Oleo, Oleeeeeoh, because the Wicked Witch looked so greasy......

(Mind you, I'm scrolling back to the thoughts of a 7-year-old...)

> {quote:title=SueSueApplegate wrote:}{quote}

> I always thought they were singing about Oreos, too.

>

> I also thought about Oleo, Oleeeeeoh, Oleo, Oleeeeeoh, because the Wicked Witch looked so greasy......

>

> (Mind you, I'm scrolling back to the thoughts of a 7-year-old...)

She probably had fluctuating hormones.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 22, 2010 3:57 AM

> {quote:title=SueSueApplegate wrote:}{quote}

> I just invision her sitting all those burly guys down somewhere and making them learn how to sing that goofy but haunting melody...OLEO---OLEEEEOH...now 1,2,3,...

Can you picture Margaret Hamilton doing the "Ain't There Anyone Here For Love?" number from GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES?

I can.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 22, 2010 4:12 AM