Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

> {quote:title=SueSueApplegate wrote:}{quote}

> Somehow I just see THE W.W. with Elisha Cook, Jr.

 

She deserves better than a gunsel.

 

I still say, Curd Jurgens, lol.

 

Whoa, I've overstayed my welcome -- see you guys next week1

 

And not a moment too soon you're all thinking...

 

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 22, 2010 4:16 AM

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=SueSueApplegate wrote:}{quote}

> She was a former kindergarten teacher, so she probably could do just about anything.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LOL -- If that profession didn't make one fearless, I don't know what would.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there everyone!

 

I'm baaaack! :)

 

I have a nicely refurbished computer, named Gloria, and my first pair of reading glasses! I've had my computer for a few days but I had to avoid using it until I got the glasses. The headaches had become unbearable! I'm still trying to get used to them so if my post turns to gibberish you'll know I've either lost it completely or I just need more practice...or both. :)

 

Ro,

 

I really liked your post on *The Wizard of Oz* and everyone's comments on it. It has been ages since I watched the film all the way through but I feel like I know it by heart. Still, your screencaps brought up so much that I never noticed before.

 

Now I, like so many others, remember this airing once a year on television back before cable and DVD's or even videotape. There was never any question what the the TV would be tuned to that evening. I was the youngest, so I was the last holdout. My older siblings would usually watch too. We waited for certain scenes like the house landing, and the lollipop guild song, and the flying monkeys. I don't know at what age I stopped lying on the living room floor in front of the old Sylvania console watching it intently from start to finish. I imagine it was a gradual process. I wonder if mom was sad the first time it came on and none of us kids were around to watch it.

 

The film does a wonderful job exploring the dreams and fears of childhood. The idea of escaping and the adventure of running away mixes wonderfully with our fears of losing our home, our parents, our place and our sense of where we belong. These are concepts that weigh on the mind of most kids. They certainly did for me anyway.

 

The biggest hook in the film for me is Dorothy's fear of losing Toto. That's what starts the ball rolling. The idea of anyone taking my dog away scared me to death. My dog depended on me. I was his protector, and we protected each other. It's one of the few responsibilities a kid first senses.Losing a pet is often the first real loss a kid faces. I could relate to Dorothy's fears and I was with her all the way in trying to find a place to escape with Toto.

 

*OH.. and don't forget the cyclone!! (or twister.. or tornado.. ha. depends on what part of the country you live in..ha) Oh wow... I still think that is one of the most realistic "storms" in a movie I have ever seen. It was actually menacing.. and terrifying.. and BEAUTIFUL all at the same time. (much like what I think a real tornado would be.. ha. But I hope I never see one anywhere else but on tv to find out)*

 

This was another thing that really scared me as a kid. That tornado! Wow! With Bolger yelling out: It's a twister, it's a twister. We don't get many in these parts, but still, I knew they existed and to this day a tornado warning really scares me and excites me all at the same time. It has to be the greatest tornado sequence ever filmed.

 

There is a lot I could say about this film but I wanted to touch on those two points mainly. The characters are just outstandingly vivid. As Ollie and you were mentioning, there are so many phrases and moments that have become part of the culture. I wonder if that will fade? The talking apple trees. Of course we all looked forward to the flying monkeys. They were scary! I liked the part where the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and Cowardly Lion stormed the castle. The only thing I never cared for, and the only thing that slows down the film is the cowardly lion's song If I were King of the forest.

 

Hi ya Bronxie,

 

*What's always fascinated me about THE WIZARD OF OZ is the deft way it depicts the unconscious reality of dreams; dream-logic. Glinda asks Dorothy: "Did you bring your broomstick?" as though Dorothy were just another supernatural creature, and Dorothy answers her, "I'm afraid I didn't", even though she told Glinda earlier "I'm not a witch at all, I'm Dorothy Gale from Kansas". Then Glinda points at Toto: "Is that the witch?" Dorothy: "No, Toto's my dog". When Dorothy is trapped in the witch's castle, and she hears her three friends on the other side of the door, she calls out, "Hurry, the hourglass is almost empty!" as if they already know what's going on inside.*

 

That's a great point. The dream-logic pervades the film. It's real and unreal and as a kid I would actually ponder this on repeated viewings.

 

Hi CineMaven,

 

*Hi there Ro-Ro. Your comment just re-confirms my thoughts that we (humans) really have more in common than we don?t have things in common.....*

 

*....Later in that (glorious) weekend when I was introduced and spoke to Tom Brown at the dinner party thrown for us fan programmers, he and I told each other similar stories about staying up late on school nights to watch the classic films that came on. (His outcome was more parent-approved, while my efforts were more covert than a CIA/FBI/KGB mission...and fraught with being exposed by my younger sister). Reading your comment, Rohanaka, is a heartening reminder of our commonality.*

 

I was very clandestine in my movie viewing as a kid. Sneaking out of my room ( I never had to worry about my brothers waking up, they slept like logs but I was the insomniac.) and downstairs after everyone was asleep. I hated it when my parents stayed up late because then I was stuck. Once downstairs, I had the tv to myself and I could get lost in whatever late movie was playing.

 

Now on weekends when we could stay up later, My brothers and I loved to watch the late night horror and sci fi movies. We would watch "Shock Theater" and in our area, it was hosted by a local celeb called the "Bowman Body":

 

15bowmanbody.gif?t=1269389185

 

Oh the memories!

 

*Oh...and you're right about this as well: having movies ON DEMAND, or on DVD or VHS has taken the anticipation out of the experience of movie viewing, somewhat. But there is something to be said for having access at our fingertips.*

 

*I'm torn.*

 

I am too! I would never give up having all these movies so readily available but the anticipation is diminished. Of course, you can't go home again. I remember looking through the movie listings for the whole week as a kid. My campaigning would start early in the week. Hey mom, *Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man* is coming on Saturday nigh. It's the most important thing in the whole world, and can Tommy and Mike stay over that night?

 

Now, I must comment on *Heat Lightning* and get down to the noir thread, I hear someone sent out an APB! :) I have a lot of catching up to do! I hope my eyes hold out!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha haa! Now things can get back to normal, the Mad Hat is back in town.

 

I was very clandestine in my movie viewing as a kid. Sneaking out of my room ( I never had to worry about my brothers waking up, they slept like logs but I was the insomniac.) and downstairs after everyone was asleep. I hated it when my parents stayed up late because then I was stuck. Once downstairs, I had the tv to myself and I could get lost in whatever late movie was playing.

 

Oh my goodness---you too???! I did this ALL the time. I'd wait till my mother was asleep and sneak downstairs (there were three treads that would give me away if I didn't remember to step over them, not to mention it was a creaky old Victorian house where every floor board seamed to screech at my slightest step) but the really tricky part was that, unfortunately, I had to go THROUGH my mother's bedroom to get to the hallway and staircase. I'm sure she heard me and was just too tired to say anything half the time. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jackie and Chris,

 

Thanks. It was horrible being without a computer. I felt so disconnected!

 

April,

 

It sounds like you had a tougher route to maneuver than I did. My biggest fear was that my father would wake up. If he woke up, the whole house would wake up! :D Mom was a pushover. She would just tell me to get back in bed.

 

We had three local channels and after the late movie that was usually it, nothing but static and test patterns, but my dad had put this big antenna on the house. It was attached to this black box thingy, I forget what it was called but you could turn the knob and it would move the antenna. When you moved it it would go BAMP! BAMP! BAMP! So you were really taking your life in your hands if you tried this late at night. Sometimes I would go for broke though if I couldn't sleep. On a good clear night I could get WAVY in Norfolk and sometimes a Washington DC channel. They stayed on a lot later.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> April,

>

> It sounds like you had a tougher route to maneuver than I did. My biggest fear was that my father would wake up. If he woke up, the whole house would wake up! :D Mom was a pushover. She would just tell me to get back in bed.

>

> We had three local channels and after the late movie that was usually it, nothing but static and test patterns, but my dad had put this big antenna on the house. It was attached to this black box thingy, I forget what it was called but you could turn the knob and it would move the antenna. When you moved it it would go BAMP! BAMP! BAMP! So you were really taking your life in your hands if you tried this late at night. Sometimes I would go for broke though if I couldn't sleep. On a good clear night I could get WAVY in Norfolk and sometimes a Washington DC channel. They stayed on a lot later.

 

 

lol! Wasn't the "adventure" we had to go through to get to watch our beloved movies half the fun?

 

When my mother did catch me at it, it was rough. I'd be forbidden to watch ANY TV for a week or so. Which, of course, only fed my mania to sneak downstairs even more. I don't remember what was on that I had to watch, I think anything suited me, though I preferred old movies the best. I just HAD to watch TV and I've always been a night owl.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> I was lucky. I could do what I wanted as long as I got up in the morning. Gee, my kids never knew the thrill of it.

 

Wow, you had it good. :D I've never been able to get up in the morning.

 

Yes, some of the thrill is gone, as others remarked earlier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha! Yes, I really honed my covert operation skills at that age!

 

We had the CBS late movie every night I think, then I could usually catch an old movie on the Washington channel if I was lucky. WAVY in Norfolk had reruns of *Ironside* on late, I remember Raymond Burr wheeling around the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco and always calling it "Hashbury". Sometimes I got re-runs of *The Dick Van Dyke Show* which was cool, other times there was a videotaped suspense anthology but I can't remember the name.

 

I have always been a night owl too. It's fun to stay up late! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> I was lucky. I could do what I wanted as long as I got up in the morning. Gee, my kids never knew the thrill of it.

 

I'm like April. I never wanted to get up in the morning. I had to though, so I wonder when I actually slept!

Link to post
Share on other sites

> We had the CBS late movie every night I think, then I could usually catch an old movie on the Washington channel if I was lucky. WAVY in Norfolk had reruns of *Ironside* on late, I remember Raymond Burr wheeling around the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco and always calling it "Hashbury". Sometimes I got re-runs of *The Dick Van Dyke Show* which was cool, other times there was a videotaped suspense anthology but I can't remember the name.

>

 

I seem to recall my Mom liked "Ironsides". I also remember she liked to watch "Barnaby Jones", the one with Jed Clampett....his name escaped me. Maybe too many late nights!

 

Was that suspense anthology "Night Gallery"? I remember that and I remember "The Night Stalker".

 

> I have always been a night owl too. It's fun to stay up late! :)

 

It really is, and I've never gotten over it. I should be in bed right now, as I have to work tomorrow!

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

 

> Was that suspense anthology "Night Gallery"? I remember that and I remember "The Night Stalker".

>

 

No. It was some really generic show. It might have been British. It was in color. Now *The Night Stalker* and *Night Gallery* were too big favorites of mine. *Night Gallery* really scared the heck out me. I have the first two seasons on DVD.

 

I have to tell you this story. When I was really little I was alone in the living room and *Dark Shadows* was on! There was a scene where Julia was casting a spell and making all these bodies rise up out of the dirt of their graves and come to life! I was horrified! I pointed at the tv and started screaming at the top of my lungs. I was scared to death...and this was in the afternoon. My sister and mom came running in the room and my mom yelled What are you watching? Apparently I was traumatized! She said I just stood there pointing and whimpering. After that I was never allowed to watch *Dark Shadows* again. That lasted about a week. To this day, the subject of *Dark Shadows* can not come up without someone bringing up this story and laughing at me. Oh the humiliation! :)

 

>

> It really is, and I've never gotten over it. I should be in bed right now, as I have to work tomorrow!

 

Oh come on stay up a little later!

 

Just kidding. :) I've never gotten over it either. That's why I work nights.

 

> Ah yes, the words "A Quinn Martin production"....

>

>

>

> Hey who knew "tonight's episode" was about this board. :D

 

Ha! What a coincidence! This also brings us full circle. As Buddy was originally supposed to be the Tin Man in *The Wizard of Oz*

Link to post
Share on other sites

> No. It was some really generic show. It might have been British. It was in color. Now *The Night Stalker* and *Night Gallery* were too big favorites of mine. *Night Gallery* really scared the heck out me. I have the first two seasons on DVD.

>

 

Say! It wasn't Journey to Midnight with Sebastian Cabot as host, was it? Because I have that one and I LOVE it!! The actually strung three episodes together and released it as a feature film. Joan Harrison, Hitch's assistant and longtime collaborator, produced it and Roy Ward Baker directed.

 

> I have to tell you this story. When I was really little I was alone in the living room and *Dark Shadows* was on! There was a scene where Julia was casting a spell and making all these bodies rise up out of the dirt of their graves and come to life! I was horrified! I pointed at the tv and started screaming at the top of my lungs. I was scared to death...and this was in the afternoon. My sister and mom came running in the room and my mom yelled What are you watching? Apparently I was traumatized! She said I just stood there pointing and whimpering. After that I was never allowed to watch *Dark Shadows* again. That lasted about a week. To this day, the subject of *Dark Shadows* can not come up without someone bringing up this story and laughing at me. Oh the humiliation! :)

>

 

Wow! I don't think I ever had that intense a reaction to all the MANY, MANY horror shows and movies I watched as a kid. I was really crazy about them and they had so many on TV, including the old Universal ones and Godzilla and all that stuff. We really are "the TV generation". :D

 

>

> Oh come on stay up a little later!

>

 

Ha! I'm tempted. I know I'll be on later Thursday through Monday, as I'll be off from work. :)

 

> Just kidding. :) I've never gotten over it either. That's why I work nights.

>

 

Do you work all night?? My energy picks up around 9 p.m. and flags around midnight, but it can get a second wind if I push it.

 

> Ha! What a coincidence! This also brings us full circle. As Buddy was originally supposed to be the Tin Man in *The Wizard of Oz*

 

Right! I even thought "Ray Bolger" but knew that wasn't Buddy's name, but I thought about his losing out on the Tin Man.

Link to post
Share on other sites

*WAVY in Norfolk had reruns of Ironside on late, I remember Raymond Burr wheeling around the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco and always calling it "Hashbury".*

 

Drinks are on the house! The Mighty Mo is back!!!!

 

I loved *Ironside* when I was a kid! To this day, I don't like walking down escalators because of that show and Raymond Burr.

 

If you had told me forty years ago that I would drive by that neighborhood every night on my way home, I would have laughed.

 

But I am!

 

As for *Wizard of Oz* it wasn't until the early '80s that King Vidor finally started getting real recognition for his contribution of the Kansas scenes. Until then, it was just one of those little known film facts that only real film buffs knew.

 

I think you hit the nail on the head about why we keep coming back to *Oz* and why it evokes such emotion in us.

 

Glad to have you back, Mo. We've missed you and Glo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I got distracted up in General Discussions trying to make heads or tails of a thread up there. What's been going on around here? Never mind, not here. Someone can PM me. :)

 

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

>

> Say! It wasn't Journey to Midnight with Sebastian Cabot as host, was it? Because I have that one and I LOVE it!! The actually strung three episodes together and released it as a feature film. Joan Harrison, Hitch's assistant and longtime collaborator, produced it and Roy Ward Baker directed.

>

 

I don't think it was that one. Darn it I can't remember. I will be up late tonight trying to search for the title.

 

>

> Wow! I don't think I ever had that intense a reaction to all the MANY, MANY horror shows and movies I watched as a kid. I was really crazy about them and they had so many on TV, including the old Universal ones and Godzilla and all that stuff. We really are "the TV generation". :D

>

 

I loved the horror stuff too. That one scene really scared me though. Maybe it was just Grayson Hall, she always scared me.

 

>

> Do you work all night?? My energy picks up around 9 p.m. and flags around midnight, but it can get a second wind if I push it.

 

Yes I work in the library during the evenings until 9:00pm. I usually don't start to wind down until 3:00am! I'm a hard case. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lynn,

 

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Drinks are on the house! The Mighty Mo is back!!!!

>

 

Gimme a viskey..ginger ale on the side...and don't be stingy baby!

 

Wait, that's not me that's Anna Christie.

 

I'll have a sarsaparilla! :)

 

> I loved *Ironside* when I was a kid! To this day, I don't like walking down escalators because of that show and Raymond Burr.

>

 

Ha. It was a pretty good show. I never see it around anymore. I really got into it during those late night viewings.

 

> As for *Wizard of Oz* it wasn't until the early '80s that King Vidor finally started getting real recognition for his contribution of the Kansas scenes. Until then, it was just one of those little known film facts that only real film buffs knew.

>

 

Yes, and the Kansas scenes are beautiful as Rohanaka said. I have always loved those scenes and how they set up the fantasy so perfectly.

 

>

> Glad to have you back, Mo. We've missed you and Glo.

 

Thank you. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

These aren't the droids you're looking for. Suffice it to say, you've seen this movie before.

 

BTW, be sure Dr. Chumley picks up the tap for all our drinks tonight!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...