Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ha ha! I bet there's a thread in this! "Movies that made you throw up!"

*The Ten Commandments* has never been one of my favorites so for some reason, I find that hysterical.

MissG- thanks for the blast from the past! I found a couple of WGN Chicago Creature Features intros on youtube! The second one is a recreation, but it includes the scary poem they used to recite, so it is more accurate in a way:

And WFLD was the station that showed Shark Island all the time - here's their scary movie intro:

Those were really cool...I can't turn the volume very high here at work so I will listen to the "poem" when I get home. I don't remember any special movie intros or hosts when I was growing up. Pretty boring.

I'm not sure you can understand it even with the sound turned up! It was just there for creepy effect anyway.... gosh I used to love Saturday night when they showed one of the good ones.

My mom said she saw *The Wolf Man* in the movie theatre - that would have made her about 11 years old....and she had to WALK back home from the theatre past an old empty lot.... YIKES! That would have been more than my eleven year old heart could have taken! She was terrified and ran all the way home.

Ooooh...I don't think I could have made my little legs carry me home had I done that. What a cute story. Those were the days you could send your young kids alone to the movies.

you know it's weird, but I have no memory of a movie theater in my home town. My father would take me to drive-ins and to movies in Dallas, which was about 30 miles from our town, but that's it. I'm starting to feel deprived again! :D

I think I'll go look at Moira's Gilbert Roland video (for the thousandth time) to console myself.

Larry, my sweetpea, how lovely to see you! And how is Mother Molo? In the pink, I hope.

I had an unpleasant aunt who used to scare the heck outta me because she looked like a combination of Beulah Witch from Kukla, Fran and Ollie, and also Margaret Hamilton from TWOZ.

When I'd hear she was coming over, I'd hide under the covers.

> {quote:title=SueSueApplegate wrote:}{quote}

> Just as long as she doesn't sing that Hoagy Carmichael novelty song from *To Have and Have Not*.

>

> It bothers me just as much as one of my ex-husbands...

HA!

Hi ya Ro,

*OH and PS: I guess I will go put my rope back in the FREEZER now... because well... if you had not shown up soon, you were only days away from being the honored guest at our next Neck Tie Party. :P Missed it by THAT much! ha.*

I think I'm in a lot deeper than Grimes this time! It will take me a while to dig myself out of this hole. :)

*Ha.. a new Gloria AND new glasses too. You'll have a whole new outlook on life for sure. ha. (PS: Welcome to the "corrective lens crowd, too... I have been a charter member now for several years.. ha. I always joke with the QT that I hit forty.. and forty hit me back.. ha)*

Yes, I named Gloria as the administrator. Only I am allowed access. I set up a separate account called "Bogie" for all the rest of the family riffraff that come by and use my computer when I'm at work.

As for the glasses, well I can't hear. (nerve damage) I can't smell. (Chronic sinus problems) Now the eyes are going! (I sound like quite a catch don't I?)

What's next?

Wait. Don't answer that! :D

*But I like that this is a film that even if you get too old (say as a teen) where it loses a little "luster" for a time... once you see it again after several years of NOT seeing it... those fond memories will just come flooding back. It truly is a classic in ever sense of the word.*

Yes that's true. I think even as a teen, I might not have watched it when it came on, or maybe just caught a piece of it, but I think we all respected it. It was so much a part of all our childhoods.You didn't dis the OZ! :)

*I DID used to be afraid of as a very young kid was of getting "lost" or of being away from my parents for too long of a time. And I always remember that I felt so worried when Dorothy wants to go home... and the baloon floats away. It was always such a relief to see Glinda's little pink bubble show up just at the right moment, ha.*

Yes, I remember getting worried at that part too. Thank goodness for Glinda! Billie Burke appeared in so many films and every time she shows up in one I'm watching with a friend or family member, they will point out: Hey! That's The good witch! It never fails. The voice alone will do it.

One of my brothers watches a lot of films with me on the weekends. Mainly because he's just there, not because he really wants too. Anyway, when he stopped pointing out Burke as Glinda and got used to her showing up in various films, I figured his classic film credentials had jumped up a notch. :)

*I had never really seen or heard much about a Tornado other than this film until I was in about the 4th grade or so.. We lived in Alabama at the time (at Ft Mc Clellan) and and then I remember they had a tornado come near us one day while we were at school and all of us kids had to go out in the hall and cover our heads with our hands. It was a little scary, as I recall, and then I remember thinking about that moment again the next time I watched The Wizard of Oz (probably that same year) and then I got scared all over again, ha)*

I don't think we ever had tornado drills here. I was fascinated by them though. I remember in 2nd grade we used to get these book lists in class and we could order these paperbacks. Maybe it was part of The Weekly Reader or something. Well I ordered a book on tornadoes. I'm sure it all started with Oz.

*OH say it isn't SO!!! (that is just about my most favorite song in the whole thing.. ha. The kidlingl loves it too. We go around here singing it all the time! She is a RIOT trying to imitate his voice.. especially when it comes to the part where he says, "Mah... aha ha ha ha... aw-narch". What a crack up! ha.*

What??? Your FAVORITE song, out of all the songs in that film, is If I were King of the Forest ? What's wrong with you? :D

Look, I love Bert Lahr's cowardly Lion, and I don't hate the song that much. It just goes on too long at a pivotal point in the film. We want them to get going on their mission and we have this long musical interlude. Oh well. To each his own. :)

*PS... I LOVED those old 70's detective shows (and I was a night owl too.. (I know.. big surprise,ha) but usually only got to be a practicing one during summer vacation, ha) I was not TOO keen on Barnaby Jones, but I did like Ironside, and I absolutely ADORED The Rockford Files. OH wow.*

Now we are back on the same page. I didn't ever watch *Barnaby Jones* but *The Rockford Files* was probably my favorite show when it was on. I thought Garner as Rockford was just too cool. I loved his whole attitude. I loved his cynical humor. I loved the trailer by the beach. I loved Noah Beery Jr. as Rocky. That was a great show. I have a lot of the seasons on DVD.

*Glad to see you back on the board, sir.*

Are you sure? ;)

Hi there Barb!

Good to hear from you again.

Mother Molo has been revitalized by spring. Winter came on so fast last year that the yard was a mess. Once it warmed up she couldn't wait to get out there. I've been raking leaves and gum balls for the past week! I finished up and declared the yard DONE! She just laughed and said it was the end of the beginning. (Now she's channeling Winston Churchill). At least I'm getting some exercise.

I never really had a scary aunt. Well maybe Aunt Daisy, she wasn't that scary but she used to make me dance with her at weddings. :)

I've been watching a lot of sci-fi films lately. Let's see:

*The Day the Earth Stood Still*

*Them!*

*Earth vs. the Flying Saucers*

*The Monster That Challenged the World*

*The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms*

I've seen the first two before but they were all pretty good as far as I was concerned. I need to check out *Attack of the Crab Monsters* and read CineMaven's review.

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> Hi there Barb!

>

> Good to hear from you again.

>

> Mother Molo has been revitalized by spring. Winter came on so fast last year that the yard was a mess. Once it warmed up she couldn't wait to get out there. I've been raking leaves and gum balls for the past week! I finished up and declared the yard DONE! She just laughed and said it was the end of the beginning. (Now she's channeling Winston Churchill). At least I'm getting some exercise.

Was she getting Brian Donlevy too?

>

> I never really had a scary aunt. Well maybe Aunt Daisy, she wasn't that scary but she used to make me dance with her at weddings. :)

Did you have to take her to the Piggley-Wiggley?

>

> I've been watching a lot of sci-fi films lately. Let's see:

>

> *The Day the Earth Stood Still*

> *Them!*

> *Earth vs. the Flying Saucers*

> *The Monster That Challenged the World*

> *The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms*

>

> I've seen the first two before but they were all pretty good as far as I was concerned. I need to check out *Attack of the Crab Monsters* and read CineMaven's review.

I could never take TDTESS "seriously" anymore since being alerted to that big zipper on Gort.

I can't watch THEM! without shuddering, because I remember when I confused a fire ant on my living room carpet with some black thread.

EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS has some good spfx. Hugh Marlowe if I remember correctly is an idiot in this one (and has a hairy back I think)

Isn't THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD with Tim Holt? He was such a cutie pie.

THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS is imo the best of the monster-on-the rampage films from the '50's -- I think it's a bit better than GODZILLA even. The opening in the Antarctic is pretty eerie (reminds me of THE THING and parts of THE CRAWLING EYE) And the story isn't really bogged down heavily with romance, and there's a welcome absence of "comedy" relief and, miraculously, there's no stupid dialogue!

Ah, yes, the crabs! Definitely check out Maven's post.

As for those crustaceans, I said it before and I'll say it again:

They're jolly!

Mel Welles, too, lol.

"Bon soir, mes amis!"

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 24, 2010 11:11 PM

*Was she getting Brian Donlevy too?*

No, thank goodness*

*Did you have to take her to the Piggley-Wiggley?*

No, Now this I don't get. :)

*I could never take TDTESS "seriously" anymore since being alerted to that big zipper on Gort*

Ha! I'm going to put that out of my mind now.

*I can't watch THEM! without shuddering, because I remember when I confused a fire ant on my living room carpet with some black thread.*

Yes I was worried it might bring up some bad memories for you. The film starts off so well but it really turns when the kids get stuck in the underground tunnels. Does L.A. have a river or not?

*EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS has some good spfx. Hugh Marlowe if I remember correctly is an idiot in this one (and has a hairy back I think)*

I didn't notice the hairy back but he is pretty idiotic.

*Isn't THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD with Tim Holt? He was such a cutie pie*

Yes Holt is the Commander and he's cranky in this one.

*THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS is imo the best of the monster-on-the rampage films from the '50's -- I think it's a bit better than GODZILLA even. The opening in the Antarctic is pretty eerie (reminds me of THE THING and parts of THE CRAWLING EYE) And the story isn't really bogged down heavily with romance, and there's a welcome absence of "comedy" relief and, miraculously, there's no stupid dialogue!*

You have quite an eye for this sort of thing! The rampage through New York is great. You get Cecil Kellaway as the old scientist in this one. It takes little while for Paul Hubschmid to convince people he's not nuts. In the end you feel bad for the beast.

*As for those crustaceans, I said it before and I'll say it again:*

*They're jolly!*

Great! I'm looking forward to it.

Bronxgirl, Don't get me wrong. I love Hoagy Carmichael, Stardust, etc., but dang. They could have picked any of his other songs but that goofy thing.

I guess Hawks just wanted a true contrast between his and Bacall's tunes.

Caramba, hija!

Dear Mighty Mo,

I had no idea when it was drinks on the house that Dr. Chumley's bar bill would be so high. I understand from Wilson that the good doctor has locked himself in the whirlpool room and is talking in haiku.

Which, I'm guessing, must be really interesting, especially if he is watching the Kurosawa fest at the same time.

I was wondering if you and Gloria could track down Harvey and send him over to Chumley's Rest (aka Sunnydale, here at the Cinema College).

We are hoping that Harvey can talk the good doctor out of whatever stupor he has worked himself into. (I knew the Kurosawa fest would not be good for the good doctor's present state of mind).

On a side note, you might take note of some of the haikus (I'm told they are quite good and could be used for holiday cards for Gloria).

We'll all be at the local watering hole waiting for you and Gloria. Chumley's tab is still good and we are all a little spiffed.

We remain, as always, so very, very pleasant.

Can't wait to see you and Glo!

Hello Friend Molo, :-)

I think I'm in a lot deeper than Grimes this time! It will take me a while to dig myself out of this hole.

Between the two of you... you've BOTH dug such a deep hole now, I think I can see China already. :P

As for the glasses, well I can't hear. (nerve damage) I can't smell. (Chronic sinus problems) Now the eyes are going! (I sound like quite a catch don't I?)

Well... I'd like to say age is only a number.. but sadly there is too much evidence against me on that one.. ha.

What's next?

I will only quote one of my dad's favorite novelty ball caps: "When your memory goes... FORGET it." HA!! :-)

You didn't dis the OZ!

Heavens.. if we did... we'd all have been called WHIPPERSNAPPERS for sure by that great big scary looking green head. HA!!

One of my brothers watches a lot of films with me on the weekends. Mainly because he's just there, not because he really wants too. Anyway, when he stopped pointing out Burke as Glinda and got used to her showing up in various films, I figured his classic film credentials had jumped up a notch

Ha.. I still get a kick out of seeing her in a movie. I never used to realize she had ever done ANYTHING other than wear that lovely pink dress and crown. ha. (And PS: I used to be the same way about Frank Morgan too.. "HEY.. that's the WIZARD!!) :-)

What??? Your FAVORITE song, out of all the songs in that film, is If I were King of the Forest ? What's wrong with you?

Well.... you likely do not have enough hours in your day for me to tell you the answer to that.. ha. But YES... I love that song. (although I do admit... seen through a grown up's perspective now, it does maybe seem a bit like a "filler" placed in that part of the story) Still... I am willing to forgive it all, ha. It just cracks me up so much.

The Rockford Files was probably my favorite show when it was on. I thought Garner as Rockford was just too cool. I loved his whole attitude. I loved his cynical humor. I loved the trailer by the beach. I loved Noah Beery Jr. as Rocky. That was a great show. I have a lot of the seasons on DVD.

I used to love just watching the opening intro. (the look on his face when he is in the grocery store buying the steak.. HA!.. I get that look myself sometimes) ha.

I think I liked him so much because even though he was "cool" he was not perfect. He had a lot of "oops" moments and Iiked how he sometimes had to get himself out of messes that he either caused himself.. or someone like Angel or Rocky might have caused for him. Anyway... way back when, that show used to play M-F (but I can't recall if it came on just after the evening news (you know.. way back when Johnny Carson was more or less the only talk show host on at night.. ha) or a little later.. any way, I used to just hang on the edge of my seat to watch that one everynight.

And PS: TRF has got to have probably one of the coolest TV themesongs EVER.. maybe second only to Hawaii Five O. ha. (but since you don't like The King of the Forest.. ha.. you MIGHT not agree, since you obviously don't share my same musical taste... but then you said you can't HEAR so maybe THAT might explain your unappreciation of such a great Wizard of Oz classic!!) HA!!!!!!!!!! :P "To each his own" indeed!!!:P

Ro says: Glad to see you back on the board, sir

Molo responds: Are you sure?

Ro replies: SURE I'm sure.. did you not just read the great SLAM that you set me up with a few lines above?? :P:P HA!! (Welcome back, kiddo!). :-)

Oh and PS: GO watch *Driving Miss DAISY* and all your Piggly Wiggly questions will be answered. :-)

*The Rockford Files* was one of my favorite shows set in Los Angeles (my real home, more years living there than anywhere else).

I loved *Police Story* as well, with many episodes written by LA Police officer Joe Wambaugh, *The Blue Knight*, *The New Centurions* and *The Onion Field*.

As for Grayson Hall, she always scared me in *Dark Shadows* and I was a young teen during its run. She had a great character actor look about her that served her well in *Night of the Iguana* as well as *Dark Shadows* (she certainly didn't look like Jonathan Frid's other true love, Lara Parker (Angelique) or Kathryn Leigh Scott (Josette) and we all knew what that meant, even at a young age.)

As for Piggly Wiggly's, see *Green Fried Tomatoes* starring Kathy Bates and Jessica Tandy. One of the best scenes of the film takes place in the parking lot of the Piggly Wiggly with Kathy Bates.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> As for Piggly Wiggly's, see *Green Fried Tomatoes* starring Kathy Bates and Jessica Tandy. One of the best scenes of the film takes place in the parking lot of the Piggly Wiggly with Kathy Bates.

I remember the scene at the Piggly Wiggly! That was a good scene, in what is also one of the best movies of the 90s.

In BONNIE AND CLYDE Gene Hackman giggles as he reads in the newspaper that the Barrow Gang has been reported robbing a Piggly Wiggly store. I believe that chain of supermarkets was mainly in small towns in the South. Some people would jokingly call it the Hoggly Woggly.

Lzcutter, so you were also a DARK SHADOWS fan. Jonathan Frid, Grayson Hall, Lara Parker, Kathryn Leigh Scott were all faves. So glad that Grayson Hall had that great part in NIGHT OF THE IGUANA so that more people know who she was.

*...Piggly Wiggly store. I believe that chain of supermarkets was mainly in small towns in the South.* - kingrat

Not just small towns. I frequented a Piggly Wiggly in Albuquerque in the 60's and 70's. I think they were crowded out in the bigger markets. A couple of years ago my brother was driving through southeast Texas, spotted one still open, and had to call me immediately with the news. It's a shame. Thanks, Walmart.

Bronxie says (regarding Molo's mention of his Aunt Daisy): Did you have to take her to the Piggley-Wiggley?

Molo replies: No, Now this I don't get.

Rohanaka butts in and blabs: PS: GO watch Driving Miss DAISY and all your Piggly Wiggly questions will be answered.

Ha!!! Madhat... See what you started!! It's a whole Piggly Wiggly mandate now. Now not only do you have to go watch Miss Daisy.. but also Fried Green Tomatoes... and Bonnie and Clyde... and then you have to go drive around and find out if there are any Piggly Wiggly stores left to shop in... and write a letter to the editor about pc pig ad campaigns... you better get busy, son.. you have a LOT to do. HA! (this is what he gets, folks, for staying away so long) :P:P:P

Well it is always good to keep up with theses things.

Actually as soon as you mentioned *Driving Miss Daisy* I remembered the reference! As for Piggly Wiggly, I think I used to see them in Florida or Georgia, somewhere along the 95 corridor during my trips south.

I've seen *Bonnie and Clyde* many times but I have never seen *Fried Green Tomatoes* all the way through.

Regarding Rockford:

*I think I liked him so much because even though he was "cool" he was not perfect. He had a lot of "oops" moments and Iiked how he sometimes had to get himself out of messes that he either caused himself.. or someone like Angel or Rocky might have caused for him.*

Yes that's definitely one of the things I liked about him too. The theme song was cool, and I actually do agree with you about the Hawaii Five-O theme. :)

Lynn are you still spiffed?

Harvey is on his way. I don't know about haiku from Dr. Chumley though.

I hope you are enjoying yourself. Stay pleasant! :)

Ollie,

You should check out my Harvey thread sometime:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=127121&start=0&tstart=0

I think we are going to explore the relationship between Veta and Judge Gaffney the next time it's revived.

Cinemafan,

Nice to hear from you again. My snake has not returned, but its still early in the season. Hopefully he has moved on to greener pastures. :)

I was hanging out last night to watch a concert at SOB's a great cabaret in NYC. Having arrived too early (actually I was on time, but musicians...musicians...) I went around the corner to the Film Forum (on west Houston Street) and picked up their April schedule

http://www.filmforum.org/films/newspaper.html

Well mama...here's a treasure trove of films about the newspaper business. I think once on Board here we talked about the great fast talkin' master: Lee Tracy. He will be featured on Tuesdays. Looks like a lot of good films will be shown.

EXTRA! EXTRA!!!

Now, about that concert...

*I think we are going to explore the relationship between Veta and Judge Gaffney the next time it's revived.*

Mighty Mo,

Can't be spiffed during working hours but it is a Friday night so I say we meet up at the watering hole, use Chumley's tab and get a good gab fest going. And if we get spiffed in the process, so be it, as long as we stay oh so pleasant.

As for the Judge and Veta, I've got some ideas!