Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

> I've only seen two Lubitsch films, thus far, and what you say rings true with me. Lubitsch seems to be about "appearances."

>

 

What you see is not what you get. Your next Lubie should be To Be, Or Not To Be. Talk about mixed up appearances!

 

> Precisely! Belinski is certainly a "revolutionary," just as Elwood and Godfrey are. They are outside of Society, in their own ways.

>

 

They are! Yet all three are very non-judgemental. I like that.

 

> It's not the living well, it's, well, the living. It's the dead seriousness of living life. And it's done with supreme selfishness. If a person doesn't fit the exact little hole or box you wish to place them in, it's their fault, not your own.

>

 

That was very intelligent! Lubitsch hated to take life too seriously, his movies are filled with the joy of, well, living! :)

 

> He's a freighter in the bay!

>

 

He needs the barnacles scraped off his hull.

 

> I took it as if their world is such a shut-in world, a world of great seclusion and separation. All she needed to communicate was to clear her throat a certain way and her son and friends would understand her... but no one else. Sir and Lady Carmel communicate this way, as do the butler and maid. They then mock those who are unlike them as being "foolish." It's all about making onself better than the rest.

>

 

You're not supposed to understand this movie more deeply than me!

 

> You and your "proper"! I like Cluny's entrance: "Good afternoon. Well, should we have a go at it?"

>

> Nice girl. Sits a horse well. :D

 

Cluny never rides a horse in this movie! You're confused again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> It's very weird, and I can't decide if I like it or not. There is even a scene that could be right out of HGWMV!

>

> Boyer, though, is wonderful.

 

Really? Oh, I thought you liked it...or is it just Boyer's character you like? I have never seen him play a character like you describe, so I'm burning with curiosity. One doesn't often see Boyer play a family man. I see Stanley Kramer's production company made it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first time I saw it, I really liked it's quirkiness.

 

Maybe because I was sick when I was watching it this time, I found some of it not as cute as I remember.

 

It's probably just me. But I do adore Boyer's character.... he is just wonderful as the patriarch whose home is an open place where life bubbles up, due to his tolerant nature. Very much like Belinski.

 

What I didn't enjoy this time was the lack of decent women's roles.....it would have been nice if the women were more of a match for the men. Though Marsha Hunt was good, there wasn't much for her... and the other female characters were disasters, except for Linda Christian, who was really enchanting. The youngest was very enjoyable to watch, but I felt a little sorry for the actress, for she was cast as the homely girl next door.

 

Edited by: JackFavell on Mar 30, 2010 5:14 PM

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Yay! You love Jennifer and Helen Walker, so I'm sure you will enjoy it, CinemAva." -

< MissGoddess >

 

Thank you Miss G. You're right, those are among two of my favorite actresses. And when I watch a movie, I always go into it looking to be entertained. Just like the man wrote:

 

"AC-CENT-TCHU-ATE THE POSITIVE"

 

[/i]You've got to accentuate the positive

Eliminate the negative

Latch on to the affirmative

Don't mess with...[/i]

 

Well...you're a movie-lovin' Mercer gal. You know the rest...

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> I just taped "Jason and the Argonauts" and will watch it over this weekend. I introduced my seven year old nephew this movie when he was three. He loved it. He ran out into the living room to act out some scenes from the movie. He was the statue that came to life and he fought off the skeletons. My parents didn't know WHAT the heck he was showing them until I told them what we were watching in the other room. Everytime I call down there and talk to him, he says: "Remember Jason and the Argonauts?" Who knows how much he remembers, and how much is just going by rote.

>

> But he is older now...and I'm going to take a trip down to Texas to take him to see the current "Clash of the Titans." Yeah, it ain't Harryhausen...but it looks like good rousing fun!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You're such a good aunt! When I first saw Talos I was terrified, and never quite got over it. Statues coming to life always frighten the hell out of me. Except, of course, if it's Ava in ONE TOUCH OF VENUS.

 

You mean there was a CLASH OF THE TITANS remake? You're not talking about the origiinal one with all the veteran Brit actors taking the paycheck, i.e., Olivier, Claire Bloom, etc. This one also had an R2D2 rip-off with the little golden owl. Burgess Meredith was the only actor who seemed to be enjoying himself.

 

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 30, 2010 9:34 PM

Link to post
Share on other sites

"You mean there was a CLASH OF THE TITANS remake? You're not talking about the origiinal one with all the veteran Brit actors taking the paycheck, i.e., Olivier, Claire Bloom, etc. This one also had an R2D2 rip-off with the little golden owl. Burgess Meredith was the only actor who seemed to be enjoying himself."

 

Yes ma'am. The original had Harry Hamlin and the paycheck Brits. I kind of liked it when I saw it in the movies...(all except the owl; mechanical owls in mythological times)?? I liked Medusa. I'm looking forward to the new and improved version.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Be still my heart -- DARK PURPOSE! I don't know what I expected, certainly not Shirley Jones simpering around Count Bar-bar-bar-barelli (a listless Rosanno Brazzi) like Pamela Tiffin, and then later skulking around his creepy Amalfi coast estate looking for clues like an overage Nancy Drew. "She's not a woman, she's a girl" proclaims Brazzi to his antique-dealer paramour, Micheline Presle, who uncomfortably resembles a lizardy Coral Browne. I cannot believe this is the same lovely actress I saw for the first time in AN AMERICAN GUERILLA IN THE PHILLIPINES. Shirley certainly lives up to Brazzi's description: "Oh, Paolo!" as she gradually succumbs to the Count's considerable Italian charms.

 

Jones is an assistant to art curator George Sanders, who is embarrassingly scripted to act and sound like Clifton Webb, full of dryly effete observations to Shirley like "Your naive enthusiasm fills me with nausea". Since the incomparable Sanders is no slouch in the waspish (but masculine) department himself, it seems rather superfluous for him to be anything other than George Sanders.

 

Not more than ten seconds after Shirley arrives with George to appraise Brazzi's extensive art collection, she's chased by a German Shepherd called "Diablo" (oooh, intrigue!) owned by Rossano, who mostly gives the dog orders in Italian but then inexplicably tells him to "Sit" in English. The name of the pooch alone should have given "Karen" pause. Then along comes the wraith-like presence of an unstable woman living in the villa, who relates her tortured secrets to Jones. The mystery deepens as we find out the true nature of this hysterical person's relationship to the Count.

 

However, any real suspense is completely mitigated by haphazard and sluggish direction. The cliched woman-in-peril-abroad premise offers up no new twists, and the breathtaking scenery can't make up for the hackneyed, you've-seen-it-all-before plot.

 

THERE IS A STREET URCHIN!!!

 

"You want to buy flowers, lady?"

 

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 31, 2010 9:20 PM

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, Lady!

 

Ha!! That's the review I was waiting for. :D I knew you'd "appreciate" this (cheesy) gem. You can see George counting the minutes and the money before he can escape for Camparis with a signorina.

 

It's just a messed up mess, but fun!

 

I missed the street urchin! I have not seen the very beginning, is that when he appeared?

 

I like Micheline Presle in If A Man Answers with Sandra Dee (she plays her sophisticated, French Mom).

 

Edited by: MissGoddess on Mar 31, 2010 9:36 PM

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Hey, Lady!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LOL! That's exactly what I yelled to the tv screen as soon as I saw him.

>

> Ha!! That's the review I was waiting for. :D I knew you'd "appreciate" this (cheesy) gem. You can see George counting the minutes and the money before he can escape for Camparis with a signorina.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cheesy is defintely the word. The whole "international" production was so tacky and off-balance (everybody sounded dubbed) and the color was washed-out. It felt like a television movie-of-the-week, or the launching pad for a new mystery series, "Shirley Jones, Curator Assistant" I'm sure George consoled himself afterwards, but, I still felt almost sorry for him. He did look very sharp in those British suits and wool cap. I did like Shirley's afternoon and evening dresses. They were so girly and pretty. Nothing sophisticated, which I suppose was in keeping with her character.

>

> It's just a messed up mess, but fun!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yes. I was enjoying waiting for it be over, if that makes any sense.

>

> I missed the street urchin! I have not seen the very beginning, is that when he appeared?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The little beggar appears towards the middle, as Shirley and Rossano are in the walking-the-piazza SUMMERTIME phase of their romance.

This bambino is mercifully sent on his way with a playful kick in the butt, but of course not before importuning the signorina to buy a flower. You haven't missed much with the opening. Jones and Sanders are quickly dispatched to Brazzi's domecile by car amid plenty of scenery.

>

> I like Micheline Presle in If A Man Answers with Sandra Dee (she plays her sophisticated, French Mom).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That sounds like a much better part for a mature Micheline...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

>

> Edited by: MissGoddess on Mar 31, 2010 9:36 PM

 

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 31, 2010 10:27 PM

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember -- does LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA have an urchin?

I can see it in my mind's eye -- George Hamilton shooing one away after the kid asks Yvette if she wants to buy some flowers.

 

 

"HEY LADY!!!"

 

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 31, 2010 10:26 PM

Link to post
Share on other sites

> Cheesy is defintely the word. The whole "international" production was so tacky and off-balance (everybody sounded dubbed) and the color was washed-out. It felt like a television movie-of-the-week, or the launching pad for a new mystery series, "Shirley Jones, Curator Assistant"

 

Haaa! I guess it was a Kraft "cheese" budget in a Parmigiano-Reggiano setting.

 

 

> I'm sure George consoled himself afterwards, but, I still felt almost sorry for him. He did look very sharp in those British suits and wool cap. I did like Shirley's afternoon and evening dresses. They were so girly and pretty. Nothing sophisticated, which I suppose was in keeping with her character.

> >

 

I liked the clothes and the scenery and that's about it. My pictures of that Villa in Italy came out much better than this print, though. :D

 

 

> The little beggar appears towards the middle, as Shirley and Rossano are in the walking-the-piazza SUMMERTIME phase of their romance.

> This bambino is mercifully sent on his way with a playful kick in the butt, but of course not before importuning the signorina to buy a flower. You haven't missed much with the opening. Jones and Sanders are quickly dispatched to Brazzi's domecile by car amid plenty of scenery.

> >

 

I guess I was distracted or I've forgotten. This movie would make a great (bad) double feature with THE SNORKEL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> I don't remember -- does LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA have an urchin?

> I can see it in my mind's eye -- George Hamilton shooing one away after the kid asks Yvette if she wants to buy some flowers.

>

>

> "HEY LADY!!!"

>

 

I don't remember an urchin, and I did watch it last weekend...but you can't count on my memory any more than Mom's. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > I don't remember -- does LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA have an urchin?

> > I can see it in my mind's eye -- George Hamilton shooing one away after the kid asks Yvette if she wants to buy some flowers.

> >

> >

> > "HEY LADY!!!"

> >

>

> I don't remember an urchin, and I did watch it last weekend...but you can't count on my memory any more than Mom's. :D

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I dont have a real memory at all. Sometimes I feel like Inger Stevens in the other TZ episode she did, "The Lateness of the Hour".

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > Cheesy is defintely the word. The whole "international" production was so tacky and off-balance (everybody sounded dubbed) and the color was washed-out. It felt like a television movie-of-the-week, or the launching pad for a new mystery series, "Shirley Jones, Curator Assistant"

>

> Haaa! I guess it was a Kraft "cheese" budget in a Parmigiano-Reggiano setting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yes, and everything shredded.

>

>

> > I'm sure George consoled himself afterwards, but, I still felt almost sorry for him. He did look very sharp in those British suits and wool cap. I did like Shirley's afternoon and evening dresses. They were so girly and pretty. Nothing sophisticated, which I suppose was in keeping with her character.

> > >

>

> I liked the clothes and the scenery and that's about it. My pictures of that Villa in Italy came out much better than this print, though. :D

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aren't you glad you saw the real thing? And without "Diablo" snapping at your rear end.

>

>

> > The little beggar appears towards the middle, as Shirley and Rossano are in the walking-the-piazza SUMMERTIME phase of their romance.

> > This bambino is mercifully sent on his way with a playful kick in the butt, but of course not before importuning the signorina to buy a flower. You haven't missed much with the opening. Jones and Sanders are quickly dispatched to Brazzi's domecile by car amid plenty of scenery.

> > >

>

> I guess I was distracted or I've forgotten. This movie would make a great (bad) double feature with THE SNORKEL.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oooh, THE SNORKEL! I've never seen it, but have wanted to for years. Is that with Peter van Yucky? He always reminded me of Curd.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> But think how young you must look in all your family photographs! :D

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

hahahahahahahahahaha!! Yes, I guess that's one of the "perks"

 

 

>

> Gee, that episode seems to fit in more ways than one.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ah, yes.....

>

> vlcsnap-00025.jpg

> vlcsnap-00026.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just stubbed my toe but felt no pain.

 

I guess I better put on my maid's uniform and start learning massage techniques.

 

I'm turning in now, to get ready early tomorrow morning for our condo contractor who is checking "attic access panels".

 

I don't know what that is, but I hope when and if he finds it, bats don't start flying in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> I just stubbed my toe but felt no pain.

>

> I guess I better put on my maid's uniform and start learning massage techniques.

>

> I'm turning in now, to get ready early tomorrow morning for our condo contractor who is checking "attic access panels".

>

> I don't know what that is, but I hope when and if he finds it, bats don't start flying in.

I would only be worried if it was a belfry! :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

So glad you posted this screencap of Inger Stevens. She gets her time in the TCM sun on April 9th:

 

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=294359

 

My family went to the movies to see "Hang 'Em High."

 

8:00 PM Hang 'Em High (1968)

A mysterious drifter survives a lynching then goes back for revenge. Cast: Clint Eastwood, Ed Begley, INGER STEVENS. Dir: Ted Post. C-115 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

 

10:00 PM Firecreek (1968)

A pacifist sheriff must use tougher means when his town is threatened by a band of outlaws. Cast: James Stewart, Henry Fonda, INGER STEVENS. Dir: Vincent McEveety. C-104 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

 

12:00 AM Time for Killing, A (1967)

Confederate soldiers keep the war's ending a secret so they can escape to Mexico. Cast: INGER STEVENS, Glenn Ford, Paul Petersen. Dir: Phil Karlson. C-89 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

 

Ya, ya, ya!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Inger! Another beautiful blonde....I'm glad she gets her chance this month. I saw a repeat of The Farmer's Daughter when I was about 4 years old and decided I simply had to start talking like Inger....so I went around saying "ya" all the time until my mother got so sick of it she forbid it.

 

I saw the very end of *Dark Purpose* - I was actually very disappointed to have missed it. The kids had no school yesterday because of the flooding here, so I didn't get to watch the whole thing.

 

I spent the last five minutes of DP trying to figure out if the movie was made the year after *The Sound of Music*.....Shirley's dress was definitely alpine.

 

Edited by: JackFavell on Apr 1, 2010 9:24 AM

Link to post
Share on other sites

> I saw the very end of *Dark Purpose* - I was actually very disappointed to have missed it.

 

> I spent the last five minutes of DP trying to figure out if the movie was made the year after *The Sound of Music*.....Shirley's dress was definitely alpine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Shirley did wear a Heidi-type outfit, which somehow went very well in the scene with the German Shepherd. "Down, Diablo! Down!"

 

You didn't miss anything, which of course means that you missed everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...