Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RAMBLES Part II

MissGoddess

Ok..

I am about to hang my head in shame... I am officially a procrastinator of "Shiftless" proportions,ha.

After I checked out my two BOGIE's at the library last week... they sat there on the shelf and MOCKED me all week long. (ha) and I just kept ignoring and ignoring and ignoring them. ha. But I finally watched BOTH films last night because I knew they had to go back to the library today and did not want to have to come back here and be even MORE ashamed.. (as in: Kathy... you had those two films just sitting there all week and you didnt' even TRY) ha.

So...

RE: Casablanca... I am glad I got to watch it... but... alas... I think I will now have to turn in my official classic movie fan card.... It just did NOT wow me like I thought it would. In fact, I fell asleep toward the end of it. (I am such a loser, ha) But I did manage to rewind and catch most of what I missed.

And I have to say that LOVELY Ingrid was as LOVELY as ever... very poignant. And HB was... ok. But again, I have to confess.. he just did not WOW me. But he did do a good job. (especially in the tortured love lost aspect of things)

I REALLY liked Sam a LOT (what a voice) but my MOST fave character of all.... Claude Rains (ha.. I think I am getting a crush on him or something... lately almost every movie I see him in, he is my favorite character,ha)

But I DO understand why this film has such a following... and when I started doing the math.. and linking things together... It must be one of the most QUOTED movies in history.. ha. ( As in: Here's lookin' at you, kid We'll always have Paris. Play it again, Sam... the usual suspects... this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship And then there is that whole... You'll regret it... maybe not today, etc, etc.. etc.)

My overall impression of the film was I think the story was a good one... but for whatever reason... maybe because I have just had too much "build up" by practically the entire civilized world (ha) what a great film this was... my expectations were too high... because... did I mention I fell asleep???? ha. (but you know what... I DO have to confess... it was not entirely the movie's fault. ha. I HAVE fallen asleep on films I liked better than this one too... so that might not be THE indicator of my real thoughts on a film, ha) But again.. I just was not "WOWED by it all.

However, the QT watched this with me... and HE must have liked it more than I did... because at least he stayed awake. (ha) and he even sat through the ending with me a second time after I woke up and rewound it to see what I missed, ha. All together.. I have to say... it was a good movie... but just not WAY up there on my list (I know... and I call myself a classic movie fan... did I mention I need to hang my head in shame???)

Well.. after my little NAP I felt so refreshed that I put in High Sierra.... now THAT was a whole other ball of wax.

I have to say... THIS movie was not as good a story as Casablanca... in fact.. there was a lot about the story itself (and a couple of the characters.. of should I say... characterizations) that I really did not like... but WOW... as far as HB and HIS part in it are concerned, it was a MUCH better BOGIE!!!

April... I can TOTALLY see why this is one of your faves for him. He really did a stand up job. I felt so sorry for him. It was like he was caught between two worlds. He WANTED to be one guy... but he KNEW he was really another.

*Spoiler alert:*

I KNEW he was not going to make it in the end... because honestly... he WAS a bad guy. (albeit a bad guy who WANTED to be good) But after all the killing... I knew he was going to be a goner. Still... it was so sad... and yet, ha.. I must have a WARPED sense of humor, because as he was falling down that hill... and the little dog was running up to him, ha... I DO have to confess, I rolled my eyes and said... "Pard strikes again" (ha)

But it was very tragic the way he was calling out Marie's name over and over... (April did I mention I TOTALLY get why this film is one of your fave's for him?) I think I would have to put it up there as just about the BEST acting by him I think I have ever seen.

And that poor Marie... (sob) I WANTED not to like her... but I felt so sorry for her in the end.... and that LOUSY Velma... Ha... what a ROTTEN trick that was by whoever WROTE this story... making her seem ONE way... only to find out she was REALLY a no good.. piece of work... OH ME. The way she acted at the end.... I just wanted to knock her into next week. ha.

This IS a pretty pickle! I am not sure I recognize this person anymore...is this the Peacemaking Quiet Gal or Annie Laurie Starr?

Ha.... it's official... after the way I wanted to just KNOCK that LOUSY Velma around a bit.. ha... it's still MEEEEEE!!! (ha) I feel so relieved! :D

Edited by: rohanaka on Dec 28, 2009 11:33 AM

Edited by: rohanaka on Dec 28, 2009 11:42 AM

Hi Peacemaker! Well, one out of two isn't half bad. :D I'm glad it's my favorite Bogie you liked best, anyway.

Poor Pard! Everyone was always dying on him. I hope Marie sticks around.

Your feelings about Velma mirror mine exactly. I wanted to smack her good. And get a load of that sleaze bag she took up with who made Roy seem like the Duke of Windsor in comparison!

Casablanca does have one of the truly great Claude Raines' performances, so I understand your going for the wily Louie. ;)

We'll always have TCM....

Alas, I have joined the "Shiftless" club myself. I haven't really watched anything except my TV show DVDs, Animal Planet's "Cats-101" and several of the Sherlocks on the 25th. (I even returned two DVDs I had rented...unwatched. So you and I are both in the same corner).

Why did I never notice what a dreamy voice BASIL RATHBONE has????? He was really seducing me with it the other day...reminded me of Charles Boyer's growly bass tones...

Oh I loved what you wrote, Ro!

You are a brave lass indeed, but I admire your ability to call em as you see em. :) I wonder if Casablanca might grow on you if you were to watch it again down the road apiece, without pressure? You know, put it on in the background and just let it grow on you. I get all wishy washy when Yvonne starts in singing the Marseillaise, and from there on in, I am a goner. And it has a WOW finish....

I am so relieved that *High Sierra* was a home run, after the poor showing that Casablanca turned in. I love this one too from way back when I was a teen... this is one of Raoul Walsh's best films. I start sniveling about half way through, then by the time Pard starts running and barking (no eye rolling for me) I have a big lump in my throat that won't go away..... and then I am out and out BAWLING when Marie delivers her last line, walking and walking.....

I will have to pop this one in the computer to watch again, so I can give a more detailed reply... this whole week has been AWFUL as far as movie watching is concerned - I never get the TV now with everyone home from work and school unless it is at ten oclock at night or after.

Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes has always been a bit of a guilty pleasure for me - because with his longish locks and his brilliant mind (and that voice- whew!) I developed a crush on him years ago....

Edited by: JackFavell on Dec 28, 2009 12:33 PM

Hi Peacemaker! Well, one out of two isn't half bad. I'm glad it's my favorite Bogie you liked best, anyway

Howdy there, little gal. Rick was OK... and he DID end up saving the day.. (I likely have NOT given him as much credit as he deserves... he DID get better toward the end than he started out at the beginning... and he was a good character) but ROY.... oh wow. He just really was even MORE tragically torn and it made him intersting to me.

Alas, I have joined the "Shiftless" club myself. I haven't really watched anything except my TV show DVDs, Animal Planet's "Cats-101" and several of the Sherlocks on the 25th. (I even returned two DVDs I had rented...unwatched. So you and I are both in the same corner).

Ha... well... you sound like you were FAR from "shiftless" with all the viewing going on. And I TOTALLY missed all of those Sherlocks.... we had to watch all the kidling's Christmas DVD's (we had UP (woo hoo) and The Chronicles of Narnia going on) but I DID manage to catch the June Allyson Little Women during the day that afternoon.

Why did I never notice what a dreamy voice BASIL RATHBONE has?????

Well now I am going to have to make a point of watching HIM again soon. Ha.. it has been SO long since I saw his Sherlockian contribution.. ha. I do not recall THAT aspect of it..ha. I will have to check it out for sure. :-)

PS: Ms. Favell,

You are a brave lass indeed, but I admire your ability to call em as you see em. I wonder if Casablanca might grow on you if you were to watch it again down the road apiece, without pressure? You know, put it on in the background and just let it grow on you. I get all wishy washy when Yvonne starts in singing the Marseillaise, and from there on in, I am a goner. And it has a WOW finish....

Thanks, young'un. And you do have a point, kid. It was a good ending... and I LOVED that whole Marseillaise scene. (I'm SHOCKED...ha) I likely sounded more critical of the film than I should have.. I think I was just expecting more because of all the BUILD UP for so many years. But it WAS a good story. I may have to give it a try another time just to give it a fair enough chance.

I am so relieved that High Sierra was a home run....

I wish the story as a whole had been as good as ROY.. ha. But I DID like it well enough as a film, too, overall. But mostly due to Bogie (and that is saying a LOT for me.. ha.) But some of the other character were good too, along w/ Marie I also LOVED PA and MA.... and I even liked poor VELMA.. until I found out she was LOUSY..ha)

I start sniveling about half way through, then by the time Pard starts running and barking (no eye rolling for me) I have a big lump in my throat that won't go away..... and then I am out and out BAWLING when Marie delivers her last line, walking and walking.....

Man oh man.. it was a HUGE "what might have been if ONLY" kinda story. (pass the KLEENEX if you please!) ha.

I will look forward to hearing more from you on that one. (I'll keep the tissues ready..ha)

I got swaffled on sparkling apple cider and crashed out at about 12:08.

Happy New Year everyone!

Goddess, I hope that pretty Schiaparelli pink computer of yours is working out for you. I actually went to the website to look at the design - tres moderne! I think you need to name your artistic looking piece of bric-a-brac.

Sweet tea - I hope you had a great New Year's Eve! Did you get to dress up in your long gloves? :)

Hi Little T....

As for the Rohanaka house... we stayed home... watched UP, (for about the gazillionth time since Christmas...ha) and The Wizard of Oz... and an episode or two of the Twilight Zone, read some books, drew some pictures (anything to keep the kidling occupied until midnight...ha) We ate a TON of Junk food.. ha... and then we rang in the new year in the family tradition.... banging a few pots and pans together... ha... LOUD but fun. By then, we were ALL ready to hit the hay. ha (what can I say.. ha, we live on the edge... ) :-)

I hope YOU and ALL my ramblin' friends had a MOST WONDERFUL New Year's Eve... and God's blessings to you one and all this New Year.

PS Bronxie.... TOO cute w/ the Casablanca clip.....

PS Miss G... enjoy that new computer... I hope it is "twonk" free. :-)

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Just got back from dinner with friends and wanted to wish all the Ramblers and Fredb a very Happy New Year!

>

> Hope to see some of you in these parts come April.

Live it up in the new year, Lynn!

5t46WDGXsVjabBg.jpg

Barb!

*I'm munching on popcorn, drinking (diet ginger ale) and watching the Twilight Zone marathon.*

That?s funny! My grandpapa is doing that too, except he is drinking cherry wine. So does that picture mean you?re getting drunk with the Three Stooges? What an interesting night that would turn into. Heehee!

Cinemafan!

*Sampling the rumballs I got for Christmas, and catching up with the Boards.*

Hey! Me and my momma always make rumballs every year for Christmas for the family. She makes them extra strong with pure rum and cherries, lots and lots of cherries. They are sooo yummy!

Hey Dahlink!

*Catching up on my reading, playing with my new computer and watching the Zone...*

Whats in the Motion Picture Daily? Has Elvis come back to life yet? Heehee! Did you bake another one of your delicious cakes to celebrate? Heehee!

Hey Wendy!

*Sweet tea - I hope you had a great New Year's Eve! Did you get to dress up in your long gloves?*

No I didn?t get to dress up. i was actually invited to a big party, but I got the invitation last night after I got home from town and was already in my jammies?minor detail. Heehee! I decided to stay home with my family and watch the ball drop in Times Square on TV. I love doing that every year and then me and my little brother went out to the porch and watched fireworks from across the street. They had a really pretty display this year.....of did I mention I had some good hot tea!? Heehee!

Hey kathy!

*As for the Rohanaka house... we stayed home... watched UP, (for about the gazillionth time since Christmas...ha) and The Wizard of Oz... and an episode or two of the Twilight Zone, read some books, drew some pictures (anything to keep the kidling occupied until midnight...ha) We ate a TON of Junk food.. ha... and then we rang in the new year in the family tradition.... banging a few pots and pans together... ha... LOUD but fun. By then, we were ALL ready to hit the hay. ha (what can I say.. ha, we live on the edge... )*

Ya?ll are so funny! My family got Up for this Christmas too and watched it with my little cousin. I love it! It is way too cute for words and would love to watch it again soon. Does the kidling really like it? You bang on pots and pans? Awesome tradition! I?d start doing that, but it might wake my parents up. Heehee!

Chris!

*Too many M&Ms for me last night.*

How fun! With your loverly bride?

Lynn!

*Just got back from dinner with friends and wanted to wish all the Ramblers and Fredb a very Happy New Year!*

So how was your New Year?s Eve Dinner?

Whats in the Motion Picture Daily? Has Elvis come back to life yet? Heehee! Did you bake another one of your delicious cakes to celebrate?

Elvis is old news. But I think I saw Jennifer Jones at the Duane Reade drugstore on my corner.

I did bake a cake, oddly enough. :)

It looks like the boys are actually drinking cherry wine, lol, but your granddad is probably in much better condition.

I actually did toast 2010 with a glass of Harveys Bristol Cream, but the diet ginger ale goes better with popcorn.

June, Dick, and I wish you a wonderful New Year:

egi9b4ym5bjrge9b.jpg

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 1, 2010 8:33 PM

Right back at you for a very Happy and Healthy for you and yours.Broke in the new Blu last night with "Angles and Demons" and "Julie and Julia". Between watching the ball drop, popping some bubbly, and snacking on all kinds of health foods, like warm brie and crackers and shrimp and dips.Hope it's a Wonderful year for all......I actually remember when TV Guide was .15 cents.......

Edited by: fredbaetz on Jan 1, 2010 8:55 PM

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> Right back at you for a very Happy and Healthy for you and yours.Broke in the new Blu last night with "Angles and Demons" and "Julie and Julia".

Congrats on your new blu-ray player!!! :D

I also got to watch Angels and Demons and Julie and Julia on blu-ray over the holidays, they are certainly entertaining movies and they benefit greatly from Tom Hanks' and Meryl Streep's charisma, respectively.

Hope you'll be watching many more movies on blu-ray this year ;)

*Broke in the new Blu last night with "Angles and Demons" and "Julie and Julia".*

Fredb,

Enjoy the Blu player! Maybe we can coordinate a screening of the *Bunch* for interested parties and get a conversation going later in the month? I look forward to it!

T,

The dinner was delish! Steak marinated in garlic and herbs with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Yummy. Roasted potatoes and veggies. Heavenly.

Bronxie,

In that picture from *Pleasure Seekers" I see MissG, you and me! Come to Hollywood in April and we can make that still come true!