Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Checking out a little of the Gable - Harlow double feature this morning with "CHINA SEAS" (1935) and "RED DUST." (1932) He keeps wanting to step up in class with ladies just a tad beyond his "station." But then he finally wakes up and realizes that the down-to-earth gal who keep it as real as Harlow is really the only way to go. Whether he's a sweaty grimey mess in jodhpurs & pith helmet or in crisp clean Navy whites...Clark Gable cuts quite a figure.

He truly was a man's man and quite a catch. I haven't seen anyone today who can match him.

I woke up to him in that tight black sweater in china seas....mmmmm..mmmm...what a nice way to start the weekend. What did Jean just say to him? "It must be wonderful to be big and strong!" ha ha haaaa! He do get the ladies buzzing.

I hope you get out and enjoy the lovely weather this weekend, cinemava.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> intrigo2.jpg

>

> "Cara, perhaps after marriage we can adopt the street urchin. Please read this note from my infantry doctor during World War II".

>

>Shirley did wear a Heidi-type outfit, which somehow went very well in the scene with the German Shepherd. "Down, Diablo! Down!"

>You didn't miss anything, which of course means that you missed everything.

That just made me howl with laughter!

Good afternoon, Fran -- Your next Lubie should be To Be, Or Not To Be. Talk about mixed up appearances!

I'm more curious to see Heaven Can Wait.

Lubitsch hated to take life too seriously, his movies are filled with the joy of, well, living!

The two I've seen have certainly been just that.

Nice girl. Sits a horse well.

Cluny never rides a horse in this movie! You're confused again.

Yeah, but I loved the re-using of that line.

Hola, Little Red Buick -- I love your descriptions of Belinski - he simply IS, while others try to fill in the blanks surrounding him. HE never does. He's quite the mystery, and remains one. I love this side of Boyer, so wry, so open - stating things that should be obvious, but aren't when you are in the midst of confusing life. Where he came from, what he does for a living, THAT is mysterious, but HE is not. It makes me wonder if his reputation as a freedom fighter or whatever it was was an accident, or if he is just too modest to take credit for his accomplishments.... maybe I just missed something?

You captured Belinski perfectly, Jackie. He's what others want him to be or need him to be. He's reflective, reactive. It would make sense that he's a happenstance "freedom fighter."

I see the reference to Gail Patrick's Cornelia, and I get it, but Betty Cream has none of Cornelia's vindictive nature.

I completely agree with that. Although, she's smart enough to be vindictive, if she wished to be. Betty is smart enough to sniff out some of Belinski's "games," just not all of them. That's similar to Cornelia.

Betty has been bred for one thing and one thing only - she knows men. She is trying to have a little fun while she can, before being sold into marriage. Adam helps her realize who she really is and where she fits. It's an amazingly subtle and wry performance by Helen Walker.

Very much so. She's playing her own games, hence her and Belinski having their little tug-of-war.

In some ways, she is the match of Belinski, moreso than Cluny.

And that's exactly how I see Cornelia and Irene with Godfrey.

Cluny is a character I am still trying to work around in my mind. I definitely need a second viewing.

She's the simple to Belinski's complex. She's always wanting her chance to prove her worth. Nobody truly believes in her and values her but Belinski. That's because he's letting her be, not expecting her to be.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Good afternoon, Fran --

>

I'm not "Fran"!!!

> I'm more curious to see Heaven Can Wait.

>

I don't know what you'll think of that one. Gene is certainly beautiful.

> She's the simple to Belinski's complex. She's always wanting her chance to prove her worth. Nobody truly believes in her and values her but Belinski. That's because he's letting her be, not expecting her to be.

That was beautiful! Are you alright? :P

I'm not "Fran"!!!

You can't fool me! :P

I don't know what you'll think of that one. Gene is certainly beautiful.

That's all I needed to hear!

That was beautiful! Are you alright?

No! I'm talking to you!

Others are embarrassed by Cluny and her being herself but Belinski always turns it around and makes her way the right way. He's very protective of her. It's not about pity, either. He finds her and her way to be captivating.

> I'm not "Fran"!!!

>

> You can't fool me! :P

>

I'm not trying to! I'll leave that to the experts. :P

>

> No! I'm talking to you!

>

That's true. What's more remarkable is I'm talking to you!

> Others are embarrassed by Cluny and her being herself but Belinski always turns it around and makes her way the right way. He's very protective of her. It's not about pity, either. He finds her and her way to be captivating.

I think he alone appreciates how a pure, unique soul is awfully remarkable in this world.

I'm not trying to! I'll leave that to the experts.

Here's your wrap, snob!

What's more remarkable is I'm talking to you!

I know! It's rare for you to give such a sweet and loving guy a moment of time, Fran. :P

I think he alone appreciates how a pure, unique soul is awfully remarkable in this world.

Definitely. Belinski is a shyster, but he knows taking advantage of a girl like Cluny is horribly wrong. I like how he only wishes for Cluny to be happy but he desperately wants her to view him as her happiness.

> Here's your wrap, snob!

>

I'm not cold!

> I know! It's rare for you to give such a sweet and loving guy a moment of time, Fran. :P

>

Who? Where's this sweet and loving guy?? OH, you mean Adam.

> Definitely. Belinski is a shyster, but he knows taking advantage of a girl like Cluny is horribly wrong. I like how he only wishes for Cluny to be happy but he desperately wants her to view him as her happiness.

Yes, he does and I like that there is a slight indication in Adam that he is very surprised at himself, to find himself in the role of Cluny's would-be protector.

I'm not cold!

No, you're frigid!

Who? Where's this sweet and loving guy?? OH, you mean Adam.

No, no, no. My name isn't Adam.

Yes, he does and I like that there is a slight indication in Adam that he is very surprised at himself, to find himself in the role of Cluny's would-be protector.

He originally gets her drunk, turning her into a "Persian cat," freeing her of her inhibitions. That was Belinski being Belinski. But then Cluny's sweet and innocent nature overtakes him. Cluny, unknowingly, knows how to manipulate Belinski.

>

> No, no, no. My name isn't Adam.

>

Not you! You said sweet and loving!

>

> He originally gets her drunk, turning her into a "Persian cat," freeing her of her inhibitions. That was Belinski being Belinski. But then Cluny's sweet and innocent nature overtakes him. Cluny, unknowingly, knows how to manipulate Belinski.

Say, that's very true! The tables are turned in a very artless way. I never thought about it that way before.

Not you! You said sweet and loving!

But that's me! You're frigid and I'm sweet and loving.

Say, that's very true! The tables are turned in a very artless way. I never thought about it that way before.

Cluny inspires Belinski and Belinski accepts and encourages Cluny. They help the other find their place. It's a very idealistic, optimistic view of love.

> Not you! You said sweet and loving!

>

> But that's me! You're frigid and I'm sweet and loving.

>

Neither one is true!

> Cluny inspires Belinski and Belinski accepts and encourages Cluny. They help the other find their place. It's a very idealistic, optimistic view of love.

That really makes it remarkable. So the movie really is a little deeper than at first it may seem. I'm rewatching it now.

Neither one is true!

You said it on TCM, right before you slapped Robert... twice! You spoke of how you loved to be cruel and mean to sweet and loving guys, ala Scarlett, your hero. This stunned Robert. I think he then told you that you were lovely and that's all you needed to hear to slap him. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, how soon you forget.

So the movie really is a little deeper than at first it may seem.

I'd say it's a sweet love story that encourages a zest for life and uniqueness while mocking the buttoned-up crowd. You know, your crowd, you snob!

I'm rewatching it now.

You need to take notes!

> You said it on TCM, right before you slapped Robert... twice! You spoke of how you loved to be cruel and mean to sweet and loving guys, ala Scarlett, your hero. This stunned Robert. I think he then told you that you were lovely and that's all you needed to hear to slap him. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, how soon you forget.

>

You should be ashamed of yourself!

>

> I'd say it's a sweet love story that encourages a zest for life and uniqueness while mocking the buttoned-up crowd. You know, your crowd, you snob!

>

Not my "crowd". I don't like crowds.

I laughed when Cluny and Adam first meet and he's talking to her about how your place in life is wherever you are happy and they're getting all deep into the conversation, then Reginald Gardiner butts in and says "This is no time for light conversation!" lol! He's a complete light weight who only cares about his cocktail party for "The Honorable Betty Creme".

Then when Cluny and C. Aubrey Smith meet she says "That's the wonderful thing about dogs, they make you feel so much better about yourself." ha haaa! Such topsy-turvy dialogue! It's brilliant!

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> That's true. What's more remarkable is I'm talking to you!

>

> You tell that horrid Frankenstein, Dahlink! You tell him! I'm sorry but that line was perfect!

FRANKENSTINKER is more like it. :P

You should be ashamed of yourself!

Don't you turn those tables on me, Snippy!

Not my "crowd". I don't like crowds.

Whatever!

I laughed when Cluny and Adam first meet and he's talking to her about how your place in life is wherever you are happy and they're getting all deep into the conversation, then Reginald Gardiner butts in and says "This is no time for light conversation!" lol! He's a complete light weight who only cares about his cocktail party for "The Honorable Betty Creme".

:D That's terrific! Image!

Then when Cluny and C. Aubrey Smith meet she says "That's the wonderful thing about dogs, they make you feel so much better about yourself." ha haaa! Such topsy-turvy dialogue! It's brilliant!

That is rather brilliant. I really liked the Colonel and Cluny's small amount of time together. They are "worlds" apart yet enjoy each other all the same.

> Don't you turn those tables on me, Snippy!

>

Consider them turned!

> That is rather brilliant. I really liked the Colonel and Cluny's small amount of time together. They are "worlds" apart yet enjoy each other all the same.

Yes, indeed. So why do you think Cluny tells Adam that he's "not her type" and that they must resist any inclination to be romantic with each other? Is it because he's "out of place", like her? She likes Wilson because he knows and is happy in his place?

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> FRANKENSTINKER is more like it.

>

> Well nobody's perfect, but when you steal other people's devil's food cake, it becomes personal. Heehee!

Personal and obnoxious!