Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hola, Miss Snooty -- I like how McCarey introduces us to the home of Mitchell and Fay Bainter:

Somehow, it's all so impersonal and they're squeezed into one of those "blocks" like pastrami in a sandwich. But ooooh, they are so snooty about their position, ignoring the humiliating aspect of being just a "block" in an impersonal pile of blocks:

What a brilliant observation! I didn't catch that. It's very true. They're just a "block" in a cold world. Nicely done.

(Funny, how he has "Mr." before his name, unlike the other tenants. It makes the Coopers

seem even more pretentious. I love these details)

Watch it now! You're putting on a show. You're starting to impress me.

His name is also bigger than the others.

Superb caps. They really did help show your point, Anita. Or is it Cora?

How' do, Miss G!! :-)

how McCarey introduces us to the home of Mitchell and Fay Bainter: Somehow, it's all so impersonal and they're squeezed into one of those "blocks" like pastrami in a sandwich. But ooooh, they are so snooty about their position, ignoring the humiliating aspect of being just a "block" in an impersonal pile of blocks:

You are on the money. He gives us the big picture before he narrows in on the one little "block". Great call on the name tag too. I had forgotten all about that part, but it really does show their mindset. "We are "somebody" among all the "somebodies".

By the way, the mentality of the Coopers still runs rampant here in Manrattan. People who are months behind on their rent in those luxury skyscrapers turn their noses up at the rest of the "peons". Like the Coopers, who give the impression they really are living a bit beyond their means, or else why does Fay have to teach Bridge? They're climbers, or what we call now "wannabe's" alright.

Ugh.. I wish I could say Manhatten had cornered the market on all that "stuffy" stuff... but alas.. even here in hokey cow-town Kansas City, it is running amuck. "If you can't afford it, finance it". That seems to be the name of the game around here. But then, all those little financial chickens come home to roost eventually... and there are all sorts of foreclosed upon higher dollar homes around here to show for it.

"Situational ethics"---that's the first time I've come across that expression...excellent! It's perfect.

Well, I can't take credit for that one, it is a phrase I have heard others use many times. But it really seems to fit a lot of people these days. (but I expect that mindset has always been around somewhere, at any given time in the world.) Still.... it does seem to be a prevailing attitude in many.

Ugh.. ha. I am picturing that Grey Dude coming after both of us with one of those big "hooks" like they used to use in the old vaudeville acts and we are going to get dragged off this soapbox ANY minute now. (ha)

He's been suspiciously quiet...is it because he's planning on yanking our soap boxes from under us?

I see he has peeped out at you here sometime earlier today. Let's go get some super glue for the soles of our shoes, and then we'll DARE him to try and knock us off this box!! (HA!!) He has only been eating saurkraut and sawdust all this time, so I bet he hasn't got enough "gumption" to knock us off if we stand here long enough, ha. (But I will pack an extra hat pin and frozen rope, just in case.) :P

More people NEED to see this movie

From your lips (I mean keyboard) to the TCM programmer's ears (I mean eyes, ha) :-)

Edited by: rohanaka on Apr 28, 2010 8:55 PM

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> >*She's one of those who sweep the dust under the carpets and*

> >*then carry on like a martyr for eternity over how imposed upon she is.*

>

> Hey! Quit talking about me!

You had me rolling with that one! Say, I'm the queen of the whiners so I guess it was a case of the pot calling the kettle....

> (Funny, how he has "Mr." before his name, unlike the other tenants. It makes the Coopers

> seem even more pretentious. I love these details)

>

> Watch it now! You're putting on a show. You're starting to impress me.

>

> His name is also bigger than the others.

>

Yes! They have "arrived" and want everyone to know it.

> Superb caps. They really did help show your point, Anita. Or is it Cora?

Jump in the (Hudson) river!

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > Hey! Quit talking about me!

>

>

> You had me rolling with that one! Say, I'm the queen of the whiners so I guess it was a case of the pot calling the kettle....

hee hee! Oh, this is the story of my life.... I am such a martyr when it comes to housework! It's amazing my family doesn't laugh when I am complaining about how much work I have to do--- and then lead me to the computer and show me how many posts I made that day....

:D

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> How' do, Miss G!! :-)

>

bonsoir, Rohanaka!

>

> You are on the money. He gives us the big picture before he narrows in on the one little "block". Great call on the name tag too. I had forgotten all about that part, but it really does show their mindset. "We are "somebody" among all the "somebodies".

>

"We're movin' on up

To the East Side

To a Deeee-luxe apartment

In the sky-high-hiiiiiiigh....."

:D

>

> Ugh.. I wish I could say Manhatten had cornered the market on all that "stuffy" stuff... but alas.. even here in hokey cow-town Kansas City, it is running amuck. "If you can't afford it, finance it". That seems to be the name of the game around here. But then, all those little financial chickens come home to roost eventually... and there are all sorts of foreclosed upon higher dollar homes around here to show for it.

>

Isn't it sad? Everyone naturally wants their own home, but when it ceases to be the striving for a home and instead becomes a push for status, look what has to be abandoned along the way...anyone and anything that might "hinder" them.

> Well, I can't take credit for that one, it is a phrase I have heard others use many times. But it really seems to fit a lot of people these days. (but I expect that mindset has always been around somewhere, at any given time in the world.) Still.... it does seem to be a prevailing attitude in many.

>

> Ugh.. ha. I am picturing that Grey Dude coming after both of us with one of those big "hooks" like they used to use in the old vaudeville acts and we are going to get dragged off this soapbox ANY minute now. (ha)

>

I've got my skillet ready.

> He's been suspiciously quiet...is it because he's planning on yanking our soap boxes from under us?

>

> I see he has peeped out at you here sometime earlier today. Let's go get some super glue for the soles of our shoes, and then we'll DARE him to try and knock us off this box!! (HA!!) He has only been eating saurkraut and sawdust all this time, so I bet he hasn't got enough "gumption" to knock us off if we stand here long enough, ha. (But I will pack an extra hat pin and frozen rope, just in case.) :P

>

HA!!! I'll ask Tea to have the ephalents at the ready.

> More people NEED to see this movie

>

> From your lips (I mean keyboard) to the TCM programmer's ears (I mean eyes, ha) :-)

>

I could have sworn, like Molo, that it was on the schedule recently but I missed it.

Maybe TCM will consider another spotlight on Leo McCarey, or perhaps a festival of films about growing old.

> hee hee! Oh, this is the story of my life.... I am such a martyr when it comes to housework! It's amazing my family doesn't laugh when I am complaining about how much work I have to do--- and then lead me to the computer and show me how many posts I made that day....

> :D

We're sisters under the...rug! :D

JackF, you SCARED me with that photo! I thought, "Oh no! MissG's cloned herself! The world is ending! Run away! Run away! Argggh!!"

Of course, on closer examination (once I pulled my hands from my eyes), I realize that's not MissG after all. Whew. But I know this is part of her dream for world domination - always at my expense, too.

> {quote:title=Ollie_T wrote:}{quote}

> JackF, you SCARED me with that photo! I thought, "Oh no! MissG's cloned herself! The world is ending! Run away! Run away! Argggh!!"

>

> Of course, on closer examination (once I pulled my hands from my eyes), I realize that's not MissG after all. Whew. But I know this is part of her dream for world domination - always at my expense, too.

Ha!!!

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Miss Goddess, will you please give us your rendition of "Que Sera Sera" please. Thanx.

Lol! I actually tackled that song once. And had the nerve to audition with it. Thank GOODNESS it wasn't recorded for posterity and my embarrassment. :D

This version is much better:

So far there hasn't been a clinker, although *The Runaway Bride* was a bit of a stretch to the imagination. I was hoping it would be a comedy along the lines of It Happened One Night, but it was a cheap melodrama. Mary was still good, even though the film was not.

*The Sin Ship* looked like it was going to be pretty lame, but thanks to Mary's wonderful performance, it was fascinating from beginning to end. Louis Wolheim was quite good as well. I can see this one leading to her eventual casting in The Maltese Falcon. She was superb as a bad woman with a conscience trapped in a life of crime.

*Smart Woman* turned out to be super. Mary turned the tables on her cheating husband and his girlfriend.... and she was great, with perfect accompaniment by John Halliday in the Adolphe Menjou role - Halliday makes you appreciate these old world second leads who bow out gracefully - why she didn't run off with him, instead of that dimwit hubby of hers, I'll never understand.

They NEVER air these movies when I happen to be home. I'm sure I would have enjoyed them all. I caught just a glimpse of SIN SHIP and it reminded me of DODSWORTH, seeing her aboard. :D

She starts out seeming very straitlaced, like her character in Red Dust. But then you find out she isn't so pure. It's a great role for her. I hope you get to see it sometime.

Edited by: JackFavell on May 3, 2010 1:11 PM

Hellllllllo there Ramblers. Listen, please go here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patricia-zohn/culture-zohn-embonjour-tr_b_540379.html

We talked a little lately about "Bonjour Tristesse" though I can't remember where. Here is an article about it, AND a good interview by Mike Wallace of the beautiful Jean Seberg. If you

just want to see her interview...here it is:

http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/multimedia/video/2008/wallace/seberg_jean.html

Enjoy! And forgive me if I didn't put this in its appropriate spot. Thanx! As for Mike Wallace...meh!

On second thought, I want to punch Mike Wallace in the back of his big fat head! Ugh!!!

Hi folks, I have a question about something that was brushed upon two months ago. Let me start with what you wrote:

* < FXREYMAN > Posted-Feb 19, 2010 8:01 PM in response to MissGoddess:

"I don't know if I am committing some for of internet hara kiri here but I just do not understand what the big deal is about Mogambo...I would prefer a movie that is also shot in Africa, with excellent photography, great stunt work, a wonderful music score and great action with funny anecdotes thrown in for good measure. And that film, ladies and germs is.....Howard hawks great 1962 Hatari!"

* < JACKFAVELL > posted-Feb 19, 2010 8:03 PM in response to fxreyman:

"Ha! I love Hatari!"

* < MISSGODDESS > posted: Feb 19, 2010 9:20 PM in response to fxreyman:

"Hi Reyman! No Hatari-Kari about it, but I would love to take up the gauntlet laid down by you and Jackie. I think there is a hell of a lot more going on in Mogambo than may at first meet the eye...

And I love that one too. :-) I think 'Hatari!' has more in common with Red Dust than with Mogambo, aside from the location and big budget."

* < BUTTERSCOTCHGREER > posted-Feb 19, 2010 11:56 PM in response to fxreyman:

hey fxreyman! Are we talking about Hatari now? Oh how exciting!! That's one of my favorite Duke movies! Why do you like about that movie? Isn't it a beautifully made movie?[/b]

I tried watching "HATARI!" this morning on the Encore channel, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. I watched it off and on. I wrote my old college classmate, who is also a big movie buff and told him that I know Elsa Martinelli was the one getting the full court press but the actress that played 'Brandy' got my attention. Why didn't she make it here. This was my friend's, Bob, answer to me:

Date: Sun, May 09, 2010 12:27 PM: "Yes, Michele Giradon was quite attractive. ?I think 'HATARI!' was her only American film. ?She had been in a few French pictures that were

fairly popular here, then continued working over there through the early seventies. After

not making any movies for a few years, she was an apparent suicide in her late thirties. ?

They keep trying to import French women to Hollywood, but they never click like the Ita-

lians, Swedes and Germans. ?Moreau, Bardot, Simone Simon, and Annabella weren't ac-

cepted here, and Deneuve became more famous in America from her tv commercials. Why

do you think it is that no French woman has attained the stature in the US of Garbo, Dietrich,

or Loren?"

So I pose this question to you Ramblers if you have any thoughts, theories or musings about this:

"Why do you think it is that no French woman has attained the stature in the US of Garbo, Dietrich, or Loren?"

Or have there been? (Did I mistakenly overlook someone??) Thanx.

Wow! That's a really good question, Mava.

Is the lack of french stars here due to our seemingly inherent prejudice against the french =- they are too snooty?

Leslie Caron was probably the most successful here, maybe because she (or her type of character) was not threatening.

Maybe the french transplants were not happy with our studio system, our way of doing things, the roles offered, or something else, and had the chutzpah to simply say "non". Perhaps the french film industry provided them with more than we could offer as far as artistic merit?

Maybe it is the lack of a single characteristic that you could use to define a french woman - you know - Garbo was "mysterious". Dietrich was decadent. Loren and Lollobrigida were volcanic. We love to paint our foreigners with a huge brushstoke - typecasting them forever as the "Mexican Spitfire". And it seems to me that the french women you mentioned were all impossible to mold into a one note commodity. "The french.....fashionplate?" No, that doesn't work. "The Parisian coquette?" That might work, if any of them fit that role.

I mean, the great Marcel Dalio, star of *The Rules of the Game* came over here, and I swear, he is listed as character number 31 (!) in the cast of Casablanca at IMDB. He was uncredited in his role as Emil the croupier at Rick's Cafe Americain. He is listed just after "American" and "Oriental at Rick's".

I'd go back to France too.