Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RAMBLES Part II

MissGoddess

Junie and Richard!!! i love that picture of them! thank you Barb! i still can't believe my junie has gone and left me!!....grandmama was even more upset, believe me, it wasn't a pretty sight. heehee!

grandpapa is in perfect condition, of course! heehee! he loves Cherry wine, b/c when he grew up, his family had cherry trees and they made cherry wine all the time, so it reminds him of home.

ginger ale sounds much better forthe tummy anyway. heehee!

Dahlink!

so may i have a slice of your delicious cake?

did youy say hi to Jennifer Jones when you saw her? ;)

> Bronxie,

> In that picture from *Pleasure Seekers" I see MissG, you and me! Come to Hollywood in April and we can make that still come true!

As the brunette of the trio, I guess I qualify as Pamela, who is usually cast as a simpleton. Hey, that fits!

I won't be able to come out West this new year -- too bad I didn't know you when I actually lived in Hollywood in the late '70's.

Too bad Dick didn't live as long as June did. I was, however, surprised at her passing, even though I think she was close to 90 at the time!

I'm forever hoping TCM will run YOU NEVER CAN TELL. That's the one where Dick comes back to Earth as a human being -- because originally he was owner Peggy Dow's murdered German Shepherd! Love that movie, haven't seen it in ages. It's so cute.

Is your family long-lived on your granddad's side of the family? Cherries are a major antioxident so those trees are great for the health.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> I guess I'm Carol...the WORST actress of the bunch. :D

NO WAY, girl. (and you also have the best, chic-est wardrobe) I think Pam fits that category here (although ironically everyone tells me that IRL I look like the REALLY worst actress of ALL time -- Ali MacGraw)

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 2, 2010 7:45 PM

>

>

> NO WAY, girl. (and you also have the best, chic-est wardrobe) I think Pam fits that category here (although ironically everyone tells me that IRL I look like the REALLY worst actress of ALL time -- Ali MacGraw)

>

I think Pam acts cute and she's hilarious. Carol is just annoying. She looks a little crazy, too. I guess she is me! :P

I want to be Gene Tierney in that movie. She's also married to Brian Keith, who I like.

Ohhhh yeah, I'd wanna be married to Brian Keith. I've always had a crush on him.

And speaking of annoying, there COULDN'T be anyone more so than Lon Chaney Jr.'s character in THE CYCLOPS. (see my review in Rich's B-Movie thread in the Sci-Fi Forum)

Rich and I sacrifice ourselves to watch these gems so that no one else HAS to. (but of course, and I'll be presumptuous in speaking for nightwalker as well, it's our joy!)

I took advantage of the gorgeous overcast 60 degree Maine-like weather we're having down here to stroll on the beach, so I'm a bit overdue to see CAT-WOMEN OF THE MOON. That one has Marie Windsor, Victor Overseer Jory, and unfortunately, Sonny Tufts. You might want to check this one out.

Sonny Tufts! Say no more! :D And pleeease, say no more about "60 degree weather"....it's two degrees here and I'm persistently ignoring the outside world until....June? :P

Seriously, enjoy those walks on the beach and I'll live vicariously through you.

See you and the cat women on the moon, if I can blast off.

PDVD_011.jpg

That's our "Tom MacKenzie" in CAT-WOMEN OF THE MOON. Ah, yes, "inwardly, downwardly, striving, now!" By the way, speaking of blasts, a little Harveys Bristol Cream should set you up to travel to the moon.

As of this moment per the Weather Channel, we're down to 50 degrees.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> PDVD_011.jpg

>

> That's our "Tom MacKenzie" in CAT-WOMEN OF THE MOON. Ah, yes, "inwardly, downwardly, striving, now!"

>

Oh my goodness!!! Hahahahahahhaaa! Yes, there he is, with his "I'm so handsome you can't resist me" look about him.

> By the way, speaking of blasts, a little Harveys Bristol Cream should set you up to travel to the moon.

> As of this moment per the Weather Channel, we're down to 50 degrees.

Both sound delicious and warm to me right now.

OH my goodness...have you ever seen the episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" called Uhny Uftz? What's funny is it's about Rob thinking he sees and hears a U.F.O. that makes a sound like it's saying "Sonny Tufts". Sally tells him he's crazy to think that if spacemen were to come all that way here to earth, it wouldn't be to ask for Sonny Tufts.

Maybe the writers of the show saw this movie, lol. :D

You may scoff at poor Sonny, but I remember when Bullwinkle J. Moose was very upset when Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale tried to steal his autographed picture of Sonny Tufts.Bullwinkle was beside himself, which is hard for a full grown moose to do.....

Oh my gosh fred, LOL, I missed THAT episode! I thought (like the Dick Van Dyke Show) I'd seen all of Rocky and Bullwinkle. I guess not....

You know, I have a big heart and I'm almost tempted to give Sonny another chance to redeem himself as a thespian in my eyes. I'm wondering if there is a role of his, perhaps in a western, where he shows us he can deliver a mature, Ford-esque, brusque, Duke Wayne or Brian Keith-like

performance, in keeping with his physically imposing, booze-and broads persona.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 4, 2010 3:35 PM

*I'm wondering if there is a role of his, perhaps in a western, where he shows us he can deliver a mature, Ford-esque, brusque, Duke Wayne-like, Brian Keith-type performance.*

Bronxie,

If you find Sonny in such a role you will have uncovered a long forgotten gem. I don't know if it exists but Happy Hunting!

Sorry you won't be out here in April. I notice MissG hasn't committed yet.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *I'm wondering if there is a role of his, perhaps in a western, where he shows us he can deliver a mature, Ford-esque, brusque, Duke Wayne-like, Brian Keith-type performance.*

>

> Bronxie,

>

> If you find Sonny in such a role you will have uncovered a long forgotten gem. I don't know if it exists but Happy Hunting!

>

> Sorry you won't be out here in April. I notice MissG hasn't committed yet.

I'm still hoping some charming "sponsor" (preferably a Fordesque, brusque, John Wayne/Brian Keith-like one) will offer to whisk me to the festival on his tab. :D

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *I'm wondering if there is a role of his, perhaps in a western, where he shows us he can deliver a mature, Ford-esque, brusque, Duke Wayne-like, Brian Keith-type performance.*

>

> Bronxie,

>

> If you find Sonny in such a role you will have uncovered a long forgotten gem. I don't know if it exists but Happy Hunting!

I have the feeling it's out there, and will search assiduously to bring it to these boards. Of course it might take another 20 years of my life, but, so what?

>

> Sorry you won't be out here in April. I notice MissG hasn't committed yet.

Oh, I am too. I feel as bad as when I was living in L.A. and there was to be a Bela Lugosi convention (including Carroll Borland from MARK OF THE VAMPIRE and Bela Junior as a guest speaker) but I was unable to attend because of illness. Everyone was expecting me to show up since I was a Lugosi fanatic back then, and to this day I STILL regret the fact I wasn't able to be there.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 4, 2010 5:39 PM

Everyone -- especially those people who grew up in New York City back in the day -- don't miss UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE this Tuesday, January 5th, at 5:45 PM EST. For anyone who thinks they don't like Sandy Dennis (which was me before I saw her in this performance) I invite you to watch her as idealistic, neophyte English teacher Sylvia Barrett. The portrayals of the teachers, administrative staff and especially the students, are wonderfully, nostalgically, authentic. It's a sentimental favorite of mine.

I'd like to throw in a suggestion for a ramble on MY COUSIN RACHEL, that is, if TCM can acquire this Fox movie and run it some time in the not too distant future. I think we could have hours of discussions on our take of Rachel from many perspectives -- feminist, historical, cultural.

I believe this has to be Olivia de Havilland's most fascinating role, and in my opinion think it's the best in her distinguished career, which is really saying something.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 4, 2010 6:15 PM

Count me in as one who's not crazy about Sandy Dennis, but I will try to catch that film on your recommendation, Lady B.

I love MY COUSIN RACHEL...it's been a good long time since I saw it, though. Has it shown up on FMC lately? I might try to record it, if so.

A very intriguing mystery. Have you read the novel? The ending is a little different from what I recall.

my_Cousin_Rachael3jpg.jpg

It's not currently scheduled to air on TCM...and worse, it's not on NetFlix. They don't even show it as a SAVE, which probably means it's not on DVD. Too bad, that one sounds like a good one. I don't get FMC...wondering though it this one could ever show up on the Encore Channel system.

If you can find it, try "The Virginian" with Joel McCrea and Barbara Britton. Sonny played Steve and he was a big, good natured cowboy which is what he always played, if it was a war film or comedy or a western he played the big galoot. I remember he begged John Wayne for the role of Jim Bowie in "The Alamo" but Wayne cast Richard Widmark, smart move....