Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I don't know about you, but the Tarzan movies seemed like sterling next to *The Last Rebel*. I'm afraid not even for Woody could I stand much of that schlocky 70s music for a civil war picture??? Oh, poor Woody. He seemed so above such pitiful stuff. Thank goodness for Two Rode Together up next (even though it's not a huge favorite of this die hard fan of both Woody and Ford).

I'm also curious to see The Sins of Rachel Cade on later tonight. I used to kind of like that movie years ago but I honestly don't remember Woody in it. It was before I really know who he was. I like Peter Finch, and Angie Dickinson, too.

I enjoyed the one Tarzan movie I watched all the way through - *Tarzan's Three Challenges*. Woody was very good I thought, and I am now not so sure they dubbed his voice. He was quite a commanding presence and a very strong foe for Tarzan. In fact, he was almost too strong for mild mannered Jock Mahoney. You really got to see his acting chops here, and he pretty much carried the movie for me. I wish he had been Tarzan, and got that series really going.

What a CRYING SHAME he didn't get better roles in better movies. The man obviously could have had a great career. It actually made me more and more mad as I watched him today (when I could tune in. We had a weather related power failure in our town today, so no TV for most of the day). I really wanted to watch that movie, The Last Rebel, but then I saw Joe Namath's name as the star and that gave me pause.... Now I KNOW Woody out acted Namath.

Whoops! There goes the power again.... the strange thing is, our bad weather has been long gone, but the power keeps going out.

Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody!

:x Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! :x

I love you Woo-oo-dy. Oh yes I do...

Edited by: CineMaven on Aug 5, 2010 7:19 PM b'cuz I love Woody!

We love you Woody, and we'll be true......

When we're not with you, we're blue......

Oh Woody, we LOVE YOUUUUUUU!!!!!

Don't need to be Italian to appreciate the photos here:

http://wild-wild-western.over-blog.com/article-32634972.html

http://wild-wild-western.over-blog.com/article--incident-of-the-buffalo-soldier-woody-strode-dans-rawhide--39623444.html

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I just did a search on the TCM database, for fun, to see when the next Woody movie was scheduled..... there is one on Gene Tierney day, August 14th, called *Sundown*. Woody plays a tribal policeman. It was made in 1941, and Dorothy Dandridge has a small role as well.

Rounding out the cast are George Sanders, Harry Carey, Joseph Calleia, Reginald Gardiner and Sir Cedric Hardwicke.

If you've never seen *Sundown*, I can recommend it as an entertaining action film. Gene virtually never looked more beautiful (which is saying a lot) and as you noted, it's a great cast. Woody is beautiful, too. :)

Oooh, goody! You've seen it! I should have known. I was wondering about it.... sometimes with a great cast like that, the movie falls like a dud. I am definitely taping it. And you are right, if Gene is her most gorgeous, I expect to be stunned.

Edited by: JackFavell on Aug 5, 2010 8:42 PM

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody!

>

> :x Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! Woody! :x

>

> I love you Woo-oo-dy. Oh yes I do...

>

> Edited by: CineMaven on Aug 5, 2010 7:19 PM b'cuz I love Woody!

>

So, let me guess...

You're enjoying TCM just a little today?

I appreciated Woody's performance even more the second time around in SARGEANT RUTLEDGE; also I felt the movie flowed a bit better for me.

It finally dawned on me to make the connection between Constance's hand on the window, and the same gesture with the mother in FOUR SONS.

I can't wait to see THE SINS OF RACHEL CADE for the first time later tonight. I like Peter Finch too. Angie as well, although I've always thought she was more of a sex symbol than an actress.

Then on to GENGHIS KHAN! Wheee!

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Aug 6, 2010 12:42 AM

> It finally dawned on me to make the connection between Constance's hand on the window, and the same gesture with the mother in FOUR SONS.

>

You are good. I never would have made the connection.

> I can't wait to see THE SINS OF RACHEL CADE for the first time later tonight. I like Peter Finch too. Angie as well, although I've always thought she was more of a sex symbol than an actress.

>

I had to record it as I just couldn't wait for Once Upon a Time in Mexico (the title my cable company gave it) to end. I'm going to watch it now.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > It finally dawned on me to make the connection between Constance's hand on the window, and the same gesture with the mother in FOUR SONS.

> >

>

> You are good. I never would have made the connection.

I get these revelations once every light year, so I thank you.

>

> > I can't wait to see THE SINS OF RACHEL CADE for the first time later tonight. I like Peter Finch too. Angie as well, although I've always thought she was more of a sex symbol than an actress.

> >

>

> I had to record it as I just couldn't wait for Once Upon a Time in Mexico (the title my cable company gave it) to end. I'm going to watch it now.

I can never get through ONCE UPON A TIME...I don't know what it is.

As for THE SINS OF RACHEL CADE, it seemed like one of those early 60's Delmer Daves-directed Warners contract player vehicles, you know, starring Connie Stevens: SUSAN SLADE actually came to mind during the second half, when Angie's lover Roger Moore (with an American "Bahs-tan" accent; he's quite dashing) throws her into a tizzy and Max Steiner's familiar 60's soap opera music ups the emotional ante but who cares about these cardboard characters? I was embarrassed for Peter Finch and Juano Hernandez. Angie was as I feared, wooden, because this material just didn't suit her AT ALL!

She's the kind of actress I like to watch getting down and dirty with real men like the Duke, Dino, etc., not with her (well-covered) knickers in a twist over essential wimps like the ones Finch and Moore play here. Angie's a guy's woman, she's no missionary. All the Africans speak in noble-savage pidgeon English. Rachel's moral/spiritual crisis could have been quite moving, but the lackluster script and direction just don't give us any compelling emotional involvement with her story.

Mary Wickes's British accent is all over the place, until the end when it finally disappears.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Aug 6, 2010 7:46 PM

This really is a ramble. It's very short, and I don't know where else to post it. I really don't want to interrupt your conversation, but I had this crazy mind blowing realization and I have to write it down somewhere. It's probably something you guys will think is stupid that I never put together, but to me it was earth shattering.

Intermezzo is on, and I was listening to it as I puttered around in the kitchen. And then it hit me. If it weren't for Leslie Howard, there would be no Casablanca! I never thought of this, but he pretty much started both Humphrey Bogart's AND Ingrid Bergman's careers in Hollywood. I never put those two facts together in my mind.

Thanks, Leslie.

OK. Back to the regularly scheduled conversation....

Jackie, I love this! I was watching it too, but the only thing on my Provence-soaked mind was that Holger and Anita spent their doomed idyll together in the South of France. I mean, if you have to suffer, why not do it there?

You know, you're right, Leslie insisted on Bogart for the screen version of THE PETRIFIED FOREST, and he probably okayed Ingrid as his leading lady for INTERMEZZO. So yes, thank you, Ashley! You saved us from Ronald Reagan and Ann Sheridan in what would have been a completely different (to say the least) version of CASABLANCA.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> You saved us from Ronald Reagan and Ann Sheridan in what would have been a completely different (to say the least) version of CASABLANCA.

I do not know why this made me think of how *Casblanca* would have been with Bob Hope and Betty Hutton.

I think I must now go and rinse my brain with Listerine.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > You saved us from Ronald Reagan and Ann Sheridan in what would have been a completely different (to say the least) version of CASABLANCA.

>

> I do not know why this made me think of how *Casblanca* would have been with Bob Hope and Betty Hutton.

>

> I think I must now go and rinse my brain with Listerine.

LOL!!! But I'd prefer Bob to Ronald Reagan.

The downside, however, would be Betty Hutton doing a swing version of "La Marseillaise" But if anything could get Major Strasser and the rest of the Nazis out of Casablanca, that just might do it.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Aug 9, 2010 12:30 AM

> {quote:title=SueSueApplegate wrote:}{quote}

> Just a note to thank Jackie for those fantastic Woody pics...

Definitely. I love Woody in SARGEANT RUTLEDGE.

> and now back to our regularly scheduled program....

Did anyone else see THE SINS OF RACHEL CADE?

I spent this rainy Sunday with Bob, Bing, and Dottie. I think the funniest of the Roads isn't MOROCCO, but UTOPIA and BALI.