Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RAMBLES Part II

MissGoddess

Sandy has a few of her annoying mannerisms in UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE, but it's the only one of her performances I can not only stand, but actually enjoy. It's the most, for lack of a better word, "normal" I've ever seen her.

I saw MY COUSIN RACHEL a few days ago on FMC, and just can't take my eyes off Olivia. Considering young ardent Richard is the romantic male lead, this is a feat in itself. I remembered the film as being in color, but it wasn't. I'm glad, because b&w certainly fits the Gothic atmosphere. I'll check the FMC schedule to see if it's going to be repeated this month or possibly the next, and let you know.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 4, 2010 8:53 PM

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> If you can find it, try "The Virginian" with Joel McCrea and Barbara Britton. Sonny played Steve and he was a big, good natured cowboy which is what he always played, if it was a war film or comedy or a western he played the big galoot. I remember he begged John Wayne for the role of Jim Bowie in "The Alamo" but Wayne cast Richard Widmark, smart move....

Great info, fred, thanks! I think I did see that version of THE VIRGINIAN but don't remember much of the movie, much less Tufts

Haven't seen THE ALAMO in its entirety. Very interesting that he wanted a role in a Duke movie.

That picture of Olivia and Burton looks curiously modern---like a publicity photo for a network soap opera, lol! Next time on "My Cousin Rachel"...

I've read most of DuMaurier's books (including a couple by her uncle, George). They're decent time passers and _Rebecca_ is something a little more than that.

You're right about that cover photo, ha!

I like the last title music in Waxman's score: "You Drink It" LOL

I just finished looking at the Fox January schedule and blast it! No more RACHEL this month....(I saw it at 6 a.m. on Jan. 2nd)

I used to belong to this book club as a teenager back in the Bronx and one of my selections was Jamaica Inn. The book was hunter green with gold embossing and just felt so good to the touch. I remember reading the story over and over again. I really should get Rebecca. Didn't George write "Trilby"? The basis for the Barrymore film SVENGALI?

>

> I like the last title music in Waxman's score: "You Drink It" LOL

>

:D Whenever I see a reference to a "tisane", I think of this movie/novel.

> I just finished looking at the Fox January schedule and blast it! No more RACHEL this month....(I saw it at 6 a.m. on Jan. 2nd)

>

Wow, that's a surprising disappointment.

> I used to belong to this book club as a teenager back in the Bronx and one of my selections was Jamaica Inn. The book was hunter green with gold embossing and just felt so good to the touch. I remember reading the story over and over again. I really should get Rebecca. Didn't George write "Trilby"? The basis for the Barrymore film SVENGALI?

You are correct. He also wrote Peter Ibbetson.

> :D Whenever I see a reference to a "tisane", I think of this movie/novel.

HA! Me too!

>

> > I just finished looking at the Fox January schedule and blast it! No more RACHEL this month....(I saw it at 6 a.m. on Jan. 2nd)

> >

>

> Wow, that's a surprising disappointment.

Maybe February.

>

> > I used to belong to this book club as a teenager back in the Bronx and one of my selections was Jamaica Inn. The book was hunter green with gold embossing and just felt so good to the touch. I remember reading the story over and over again. I really should get Rebecca. Didn't George write "Trilby"? The basis for the Barrymore film SVENGALI?

>

> You are correct. He also wrote Peter Ibbetson.

I haven't seen the film either.

Oh, wow, a big thanks to TCM for putting my boy Russell Crowe (in costume for Gladiator) on the cover of their February "Now Playing" guide...I know he's not a classic star so a lot of people are probably upset but for just this once, I'm HAPPY about seeing a modern player. :D:D

But just this once.

(this is the image they used for the cover)

russellcrowe_wideweb__430x315.jpg

Edited by: MissGoddess on Jan 5, 2010 1:31 PM

I'm home, Bronxie, so it looks like I'll get to see your UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE. Right now I'm watching THE YOUNG LOVERS. I wonder if it was considered racy back in the day? It seems so comparatively innocent now (so far). Peter Fonda looks like he's about to do an impression of his father now....or is it Rudolph Valentino? I think I'll watch something else. :P

There's a pretty good movie on at 8 tonight, for those who are interested. :)

Good to have you at home early today Goddess! Now I don't expect you to embrace Sandy as "Teach" -- I do realize she's an acquired taste, to say the least. I just finished ALL FALL DOWN -- Angela warming up with a vengeance for THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. Boy, am I glad Frank saw the light and wisely dropped Lucy for Mrs. Iselin. I'm not watching THE YOUNG LOVERS but catching up on some magazine reading.

Oh I've always wanted to see PETER IBBETSON. It sounds charming, right up my fey alley. Russell Crowe in that photo looks a bit like Burton!

I took a walk across the street to get some Chinese food for the swell line-up tonight. Of course I am not missing THE INFORMER. Love Vic as Gypo.

We're getting down to BELOW FREEZING tonight. The old heater will have to be put on.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 5, 2010 2:29 PM

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Good to have you at home early today Goddess! Now I don't expect you to embrace Sandy as "Teach" -- I do realize she's an acquired taste, to say the least. I just finished ALL FALL DOWN -- Angela warming up with a vengeance for THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. Boy, am I glad Frank saw the light and wisely dropped Lucy for Mrs. Iselin. I'm not watching THE YOUNG LOVERS but catching up on some magazine reading.

I think you wisely dropped THE YOUNG LOVERS to catch up on your reading. :D

> Oh I've always wanted to see PETER IBBETSON. It sounds charming, right up my fey alley. Russell Crowe in that photo looks a bit like Burton!

>

You'll love Peter Ibbetson, I know. Burton is way better looking than Crowe but they do have intensity in common.

> I took a walk across the street to get some Chinese food for the swell line-up tonight. Of course I am not missing THE INFORMER. Love Vic as Gypo.

>

:)

> We're getting down to BELOW FREEZING tonight. The old heater will have to be put on.

>

Oh, I know you're in heaven! I guess a big chunk of the country is in winter's steely grip right now.

I couldn't help myself -- I just turned on THE YOUNG LOVERS -- is that Susan Kohner? (I like her hair) "You think I'm a ****, don't you??"

Yeah, you're right.

I'm shutting it off now and will continue reading until UTDS comes on.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> :D

Not much else we can do, is there?

Bronxie: That movie reminded me a whole lot of To Sir, With Love, even down to the end credits. Sandy was more takeable than I thought, though I'd love to have seen Lee Remick in that part. But then I'd want her to have a romance and there wasn't much to choose from in that bunch, ha!

Up next, Vickie Mac!

I think UTDS runs rings around TO SIR, WITH LOVE, which is more Hollywoodish to me. I'm still amazed at how utterly believable Sandy is as that teacher, and how authentic the rest of the cast is. Everytime I see the scene with Patrick Bedford and Ellen O"Mara, where he's correcting her love note, I want to throw HIM out a window. You know, I've always been strangely attracted to Roy Poole as the gruff Mr. McCabe. I could see Lee Remick as Sylvia Barrett, but I have to say I really love Dennis in this role.

She IS a teacher!

Here comes Vic, yes!

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 6, 2010 12:59 AM

*Everytime I see the scene with Patrick Bedford and Ellen O"Mara, where he's correcting her love note, I wnat to throw HIM out a window.*

That was very nearly excruciating to watch. I wanted her so to interrupt him...but of course she couldn't. Later at the meeting he says, "What was I supposed to do?," which is incredibly stupid and Miss Barratt blurts out the obvious, "Talk to her," then she breaks off. Good thing I'm not the screenwriter, I would have put her in his face big time. ;) It's hard to believe that anyone could be as insensitive as he, yet his example---perhaps the worst of the bunch---was one of many to show how jaded everyone seemed to be, for a reason or other, on how difficult these kids were to reach and the contempt and insensitivity staff members had for them, even the records keeper who blithely reduces some of the students to mere phrase for their chart. (And, God forbid, stay clear of that librarian, don't even touch Ivanhoe ) ;)

I agree that Sandy Dennis was really good. When that kid came to her to sign the paper because he wanted to drop out, Miss Barratt's face falls. It's so easy to take for granted Miss Barratt's desire to reach the kids because that's the movie, but Sandy really put it across in a way that was entirely believable and maybe even a bit touching.

And was the situation with Joe Farano left hanging, a loose end? And was there ambiguity in Miss Barratt when he confronted her in the classroom? With the second question, I tend to think not, she just wanted to help him all along. There seemed no resolution regarding him as if perhaps he is for the present unreachable. Or did she accomplish something by warding him off. I think that scene was unrealistic. I wish they had given her something more to say that would make his withdrawal more believable.

I'm really surprised on how good this movie is.

In Robert Osborne's comments on L.A. Confidential he mentioned how the filmmakers had to make the various landmarks look the way they did in 1953. I was living in Hollywood at the time the movie was shot, and saw the clean-up jobs they did on the Formosa and other places. In fact, the Crossroads of the World sign (the spinning globe on the little tower outside of Sid Hutchins' office) no longer spun or lit up until the filmmakers had it fixed. Not only did Curtis Hanson and Co. make a great movie, but in the course of it they did much-needed restoration work on Hollywood landmarks!

I love that movie, especially Kevin Spacey's Jack Vincennes. The editing is amazing, particularly in Spacey's last scene--and such gorgeous cinematography! I haven't seen it in a while, though, and I was very happy to see it again tonight. This time around, Kim Basinger was even beginning to look a little bit like Veronica Lake.

Russell Crowe.... whoa baby. (It's been so long since I saw Gladiator... I forgot HE had that whole "unleash Hell" thing going on too.. ha..)

http://www.clevver.com/movies/video/20292/night-at-the-museum-film-clip-unleash-hell.html

(PS: ignore the annoying commercial at the beginning... sorry)

we may just need to do that

Maybe just let it out at the collar a little?? :P