Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RAMBLES Part II

MissGoddess

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Russell Crowe.... whoa baby. (It's been so long since I saw Gladiator... I forgot HE had that whole "unleash Hell" thing going on too.. ha..)

>

> http://www.clevver.com/movies/video/20292/night-at-the-museum-film-clip-unleash-hell.html

> (PS: ignore the annoying commercial at the beginning... sorry)

>

It wouldn't play for me! I'll try it on my new roommate when I get home, maybe HE will play it. :)

> we may just need to do that

>

> Maybe just let it out at the collar a little?? :P

That would be a nice change of pace.

It wouldn't play for me! I'll try it on my new roommate when I get home, maybe HE will play it.

OH sweet little Mackie.... give him a hug and maybe he will be good and play that link for you... ha.

It is one of my fave parts from Night at the Museum...ha. And thanks to the kidling, I have seen that movie so many times, I can't think of the line "unleash Hell" without thinking of THAT movie first... Jed and Octavius rock.. :D

That would be a nice change of pace.

HA! We would not know how to act, would we??? (Picture me... rolling my eyes.. ha.)

> {quote:title=laffite wrote:}{quote}

> *Everytime I see the scene with Patrick Bedford and Ellen O"Mara, where he's correcting her love note, I wnat to throw HIM out a window.*

>

> That was very nearly excruciating to watch. I wanted her so to interrupt him...but of course she couldn't. Later at the meeting he says, "What was I supposed to do?," which is incredibly stupid and Miss Barratt blurts out the obvious, "Talk to her," then she breaks off. Good thing I'm not the screenwriter, I would have put her in his face big time. ;) It's hard to believe that anyone could be as insensitive as he, yet his example---perhaps the worst of the bunch---was one of many to show how jaded everyone seemed to be, for a reason or other, on how difficult these kids were to reach and the contempt and insensitivity staff members had for them, even the records keeper who blithely reduces some of the students to mere phrase for their chart. (And, God forbid, stay clear of that librarian, don't even touch Ivanhoe ) ;)

In my heart of hearts I wanted Barrett to give Barringer more of a dressing down in the office and after hours, but I think that maybe would have been a bit too dramatic a confrontation, and one of the things I love about this movie is how quietly, authentically powerful it is. Also, Sylvia had Paul's number -- remember how she tells him (in a light-hearted manner however) that if he were living in his perfect Shangri-La, he'd be writing novels about Calvin Coolidge High School. Barringer is actually the dangerous idealist (somewhat like Jean Brodie) but Barrrett is the down-to-earth true educator who tells the students that in order to get somewhere they must remember where they came from. She could then be dismissive about him when she finds out what he led Alice Blake to do -- he's not even worth talking to, and she literally brushes him aside when he attempts to communicate.

It's not that the teachers and administrative staff are contemptuous of the students -- intrinsically they are sympathetic despite their somewhat cynical, uncaring attitudes (really a form of emotional self-defense so as not to get too attached to these kids) -- the screenplay just heightens the absurdist tone to the stifling real-life beaurocracy. (that still exists, trust me)

>

> I agree that Sandy Dennis was really good. When that kid came to her to sign the paper because he wanted to drop out, Miss Barratt's face falls. It's so easy to take for granted Miss Barratt's desire to reach the kids because that's the movie, but Sandy really put it across in a way that was entirely believable

Absolutely. And she wasn't some naive do-gooder, either. She knew these kids had problems and I don't think she thought she could come in there and automatically straighten things out.

>

> And was the situation with Joe Farano left hanging, a loose end? And was there ambiguity in Miss Barratt when he confronted her in the classroom? With the second question, I tend to think not, she just wanted to help him all along. There seemed no resolution regarding him as if perhaps he is for the present unreachable. Or did she accomplish something by warding him off. I think that scene was unrealistic. I wish they had given her something more to say that would make his withdrawal more believable.

No, there was no ambiguity on Sylvia's part. I just thought it was unfortunate that the movie maybe made a concession to Hollywood by having Joe played by a good-looking young actor who seemed to be doing a James Dean or Marlon Brando impression. In that sense I could see where you'd think it was unrealistic. We could infer that Joe wound up with more respect for her in the end, and that's why he withdraws. It would have been too melodramatic to show him carrying through with his obvious transference of her from a sympathetic authority figure, to a romantic/sexual one.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 6, 2010 6:54 PM

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 6, 2010 7:08 PM

*Last night I dreamt I was screaming at RO to make Burt Reynolds SOTM.*

*It must have been the Chinese food.*

Gives new meaning to the idea of unleashing hell, that's for sure. I think the message boards would probably melt down in their entirety if that were to happen.

Bronxie, you gotta eat better Chinese food! Those nightmares like that aren't good for you.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Last night I dreamt I was screaming at RO to make Burt Reynolds SOTM.

>

> It must have been the Chinese food.

Ooh hahahahahhaaaaa! I think Lynn's right, this would definitely cause a major meltdown were it to happen.

When I woke up, I almost felt bad for Burt, thinking: "Well, I like him with Goldie Hawn in BEST FRIENDS...."

This particular Chinese restaurant across the street isn't very good,but true to my New Year's resolution, I decided to walk more in South Florida instead of taking the car (to somewhere better) and what do I get for my efforts? A NIGHTMARE.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > Last night I dreamt I was screaming at RO to make Burt Reynolds SOTM.

> >

> > It must have been the Chinese food.

>

> Ooh hahahahahhaaaaa! I think Lynn's right, this would definitely cause a major meltdown were it to happen.

You know, I had the television on to TCM when I fell asleep. Maybe I incorporated the name of a "Burt" or a "Reynolds" from whichever movie was playing, into my subconscious.

That's the only explanation I can think of, but still, it freaks me out....

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> *If they told me that at work I'd say "yippee"!*

>

> in my case, i really need the hours though. heehee!

>

Enjoy you free time, buttergirl.

> *Ok. I'm having a cuppa.*

>

> me too! what kind?

Just plain decaf with honey. I think I'll have some mint tea next.

>

> thats what im having! it calms my tummy down.

>

I know the feeling!

> are you watching anything in particular?

I had The Scarlet Empress on and sort of half way watched it. It's very lavish looking but I find it too decadent and disturbing to enjoy. It bothers me, that is, the subject matter.

I would like to have seen the early Lorettas this morning, darn it.

I think I'll find something soothing to watch, like Mary Tyler Moore. :)

nitey nite, Miss Tea!

Oh my goodness!! Thank you for that picture! It's just what I needed to see before going to sleep. Now, hopefully, I'll dream of Robin Hood carrying me off into his trees. Lets hope he looks more like Russell than Burt Reynolds. :D

(PS: I'm soooo glad he lost weight and cut his hair!)

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Maybe Burt's little commentary on Spencer Tracy aired and that's what your memory picked up on. There simply HAS to be a logical 'splanation! :D

Hey! You could be right. I SO want this to be logical...

>

> 262653~Burt-Reynolds-Posters.jpg

>

> (Unless you are a closet fan of Smokey and the Bandit....)

I'm not, but do I understand correctly that Hitch was?

Watched THE SCARLET EMPRESS -- not a von Sternberg fan. A feast for the eyes. Can you imagine having youthful romantic illusions about your royal bridegroom, then ugly mad Peter (Sam Jaffe) shows up? Eeeeek!

I forgot those Loretta's were on. Saw the tail end of one -- CAUSE FOR ALARM. Never liked these 1950's movie Youngs -- they seemed like warm-ups for her (literal) entrance into television -- vanity productions where she's an "ordinary" woman trying to get out of a desperate situation, and she's overly histrionic and actressy, like she's pandering to a female audience of housewives who want to see star Loretta suffer and overcome. This is not the Young I gradually came to appreciate as an understated, natural performer from the '30's through the '40's.

*by the way, Mr. Crow is still raising heck in the world*

Yeah, I'll say. When he's not gladiatoring or being a huntsman on the prowl, he is Captain Jack Aubrey of the HMS Surprise, a formidable challenge to any blackguard and plundering pirate. Did you see him in Master and Commander ? How sneaky can you get! Playing possum like that. Boy, if he thinks any pirate would fall for that gag, he'd better to back to the arena and resume gladiatoring.

Hey Greer! :) What's new?

laffitelogo.jpg

L.

Well Bronxie, I watched *The Scarlet Empress* this evening. Lord knows what my dreams will be like tonight.

I'm guessing CB DeMille was jealous of all the production design and over the top sexual imagery that Von Sternberg got away with.

Those carved faces, hands and bodies holding up so much of the furniture should definitely give me nightmares.

I loved the beginning of *The Scarlet Empress*.... what a gloriously decadent movie! I think I got it recorded, I hope so, because I fell asleep right about the point where Marlene found out that John Lodge was having an affair with the queen, too.

I must have been in the right frame of mind, because normally I would have found this poor girl's plight very disturbing. Maybe knowing how Catherine overcame all these obstacles made me enjoy the film more. John Lodge's dry character and delivery made me laugh so much (I don't know if he was intentionally funny or not) that I just sort of settled back into watching it as a comedy. Wasn't Louise Dresser great/awful??!!??

The sad truth is, the movie was pretty accurate historically up until the point where I fell asleep.

I am amazed that Hollywood wasn't toppled like Louis XVI's regime in France after this movie came out! I could see Von Sternberg being flogged for making this film in the midst of the depression, hungry people storming the gates of Paramount for a crust of bread or, more to the point, a handful of candles.... Maybe people loved seeing all that crazy stuff. Still, I have to give Von Sternberg credit for creating an opulent setting beyond anyone's wildest dreams....How did he ever do it?

Edited by: JackFavell on Jan 7, 2010 2:07 PM

I hear you, Maven! This is Hollywood at it's best. (worst?) :D

I really enjoyed all the bric a brac, but even more I enjoyed the camera set ups and the dollying around so I could see every bit of it. It was incredible, some of those shots would start up high and then cross down through even more candles or lace or gauze, then travel the length of a table filled with food.... it really took a lot of imagination and plain hard work to set up each shot.

I actually got nervous watching that extroardinary closeup of Marlene with the candle, and the fabric so close to her face! Then Von Sternberg moved in for an even more eye-popping, sweat inducing closeup. I thought George Stevens invented that technique....

Edited by: JackFavell on Jan 7, 2010 2:26 PM