Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Road House" good film, tonight

FredCDobbs

>>No disrespect to Humphrey Bogart, but if anyone else would have played Fred C Dobbs, you couldn't do better than Richard Widmark. He also would have made a great Capt. Quegg.

In a book that I have on Bogart by Ezra Goodman, Stanley Kramer mentions that he took a lot of heat at the time for casting Bogart instead of Widmark as Queeg.

Widmark did get a chance at a similar role in THE BEDFORD INCIDENT. The posters for that film even stated "from Columbia, the studio that gave you THE CAINE MUTINY." One would think that they might have cited the more recent DR. STRANGELOVE or FAIL-SAFE.

> *Road House* (1948)

>

> A nightclub owner frames a romantic rival for murder.

>

> Cast: Ida Lupino, Cornel Wilde, Celeste Holm, Richard Widmark Dir: Jean Negulesco BW-95 mins

>

> A good film, Norish. Lupino is great.

I'm there, Fred. I love that I have extra time this week to relax and watch a few movies I haven't seen.

I did not know that Widmark was considered for the role of Quegg, I did know that Bogie really wanted the role and that good ol' Harry Cohn low balled him on the pay for playing the part. I think the only legitimate critisism of Bogart in the role of Quegg is his age. 55 was a little old to be playing that part. But Hollywood has always done that with male actors, very seldom with actresses. I love The Caine Mutiny and wouldn't change a thing about the movie, but Widmark would have been a great Quegg, and think of the boost for his career.

I just watched it again, and I thought the cast was so perfect...

Richard Widmark : he carried his Tommy Udall character right into this film and it worked perfectly -

terrific performance

Cornell Wilde : perfectly cast as the best friend, and one can see why Lupino fell for him like a ton of bricks

Celeste Holm : always gives it that X - plus in all her work -

Ida Lupino : another great performance - despite her too-short-bangs- hairdo and her wonderfuly off-beat singing, she was superb - as an added benifit I noticed her gams were as good as her gambits!

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> I did not know that Widmark was considered for the role of Quegg, I did know that Bogie really wanted the role and that good ol' Harry Cohn low balled him on the pay for playing the part. I think the only legitimate critisism of Bogart in the role of Quegg is his age. 55 was a little old to be playing that part. But Hollywood has always done that with male actors, very seldom with actresses. I love The Caine Mutiny and wouldn't change a thing about the movie, but Widmark would have been a great Quegg, and think of the boost for his career.

It's Queeg, not "Quegg" (two "e"s, one "g").

Prob. isn't the place to put this but in the intro to the movie, Robert Osborne said Sinatra never sang "One More for My Baby, and One More for For the Road" in a movie (he said Sinatra only recorded the song) which is NOT TRUE. He did it in Young At Heart.

I know, not the hill to die on. But it bugged me.

Thanks Holly... (that's my username on another site BTW!)... Like I said, not a huge deal, and I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$ in my first and prob. only post, but since I love that song AND that movie, it bothered me. Accuracy counts, regardless of how tiny the detail.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> Tonight (Wed.) 8 pm Eastern Time

>

> *Road House* (1948)

> A nightclub owner frames a romantic rival for murder.

> Cast: Ida Lupino, Cornel Wilde, Celeste Holm, Richard Widmark Dir: Jean Negulesco BW-95 mins

>

> A good film, Norish. Lupino is great.

Fred - I've found time to share my highlights of *Road House*

- Jefty - no, not the character; the name. What a name! Jefty - not Jeff, not Jeffy - but Jefty!

- Jefty's woody - the one he went hunting in. Nice car and I have a fondness for woodies.

- Ida's singing - I wasn't sure if it was good or bad, but I liked it. Then, she gets to the part where she says that she studied classically until her "voice went", or something to that effect. Then, I really wasn't sure.

- Richard Widmark as a nut job. I didn't grow up watching a lot of this type of movie, so I have a lot of catching up to do. I haven't even seen the Tommy Udo movie yet. So, I was more familiar with Richard Widmark as a fine, upstanding type. He sure played maniacs well - he was practically frothing at the mouth. The type I never want to see up close.

- How about those white shorts that Ida wore?

- Ida's delivery in this movie early on reminded me of Bette Davis (or vice versa).

- For some reason, I kept thinking of Cornel Wilde in *The Naked Prey*. I think because he's always in such good shape.

I enjoyed this movie.

18930416_w434_h_q80.jpg

> {quote:title=BuccaneerMoe wrote:}{quote}

> I was interested in seeing "Road House" as you suggested. But you state in is on tonight (Sat. Nov. 28, 2009) and yet there is no listing of it at sll for it to be shown on this date. Could you maybe have meant a different date?

>

> Maurice Covert

Sorry, I should have put the date on my original post. It aired last week on the 25th.

We used to be able to change our posts to remove such words as "Tonight!", but now we can't change them after 24 hours has passed.

The proper name for Widmarks character in the film (as shown in the marriage license scene) was Jefferson T. Robbins, hence the nickname Jefty. Another point to clear up was Cornel Wilde was not framed for murder, Jefty framed him for larceny. And lastly, I got chills listening to Ida sing, not a good thing.