Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Series Films on TCM! Post your faves and what you'd like to see more of!

markbeckuaf

Hey everyone!

We were having a chat in the thread about "The Falcon" series, which aired last Friday on TCM, and Ziggy recommended a thread devoted to series films! We had been discussing the merits of "The Falcon" and had mentioned the "Boston ****" series, two of them airing on TCM the other night.

We also mentioned the "Crime Doctor" and "Hildegarde Withers" series as two we'd like to see more of!

Any others?

You do realize that you're asking for sequels, and sequels to mostly B movies . . . :)

TCM already did Phil Vance, Dick Tracy, Perry Mason, Whistling ( *Whistling in Dixie* etc.), Sherlock Holmes, Crime Doctor, Lone Wolf, Saint, Falcon, Dr. Gillespie, Torchy Blaine, and Nancy Drew, but I hope they repeat them all!!

Others I haven't seen lately and would like to . . .

Ellery Queen (with Margaret Linday)

Mexican Spitfire (Lupe Velez)

Scattergood (Guy Kibbee)

Charlie Chan (either Oland or Toler)

Whispering Smith (a variety of actors)

I'd also like to see the animated short series:

Bosko

Pink Panther ( *A Fly in the Pink, An Ounce of Pink* etc., not those movies ruined by Peter Sellers)

> {quote:title=Capuchin wrote:}{quote}

> You do realize that you're asking for sequels, and sequels to mostly B movies . . . :)

>

> TCM already did Phil Vance, Dick Tracy, Perry Mason, Whistling ( *Whistling in Dixie* etc.), Sherlock Holmes, Crime Doctor, Lone Wolf, Saint, Falcon, Dr. Gillespie, Torchy Blaine, and Nancy Drew, but I hope they repeat them all!!

>

> Others I haven't seen lately and would like to . . .

> Ellery Queen (with Margaret Linday)

> Mexican Spitfire (Lupe Velez)

> Scattergood (Guy Kibbee)

> Charlie Chan (either Oland or Toler)

> Whispering Smith (a variety of actors)

Oh yes, I roll like that! :)

Yes, they've run those (though they are truly only doing justice to "Sherlock Holmes" later in December!), and I also hope they run them all again!!!! :)

And gosh, they've shown a "Charlie Chan" here and there, but that would be an *awesome* marathon!!!! I'd like to push hard for that one!

The East Side Kids/Bowery Boys

The Lone Wolf

The Crime Doctor

Boston ****

Monogram Chans

The 3 Mesquiteers (especially those with Tom Tyler)

Mr. Wong

Philo Vance @ Paramount

Fu Manchu @ Paramount

Thelma Todd shorts

Laurel & Hardy shorts

Hugh Herbert Columbia shorts

Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers Universal serials

*"Yes, they've run those (though they are truly only doing justice to "Sherlock Holmes" later in December!), and I also hope they run them all again!!!! And gosh, they've shown a "Charlie Chan" here and there, but that would be an awesome marathon!!!! I'd like to push hard for that one!"* - MarkBeckuaf

Like with "Sherlock Holmes", maybe TCM can make it happen if a new version of the Charlie Chan films comes out. Who knows. It could even star Robert Downey, Jr. He already did blackface last year so who's to say he wouldn't "yellow-up" for a Charlie Chan remake.

Two Novembers ago, TCM had what some of us called (at the time) the "greatest month of TCM ever." That month the channel devoted the daytime hours each day to famous and popular film series. Anyone got that list of series? I know we posted the breakdown in these Forums but we can't "search" beyond the year 2008 so I can't "dig it out". (This was also "Guest Programmer Month" with a different Guest Programmer every night of the month.) The month ran the gamut from "The Durango Kid" to "Miss Marple" series. It was a truly memorable month.

Anyone up for a "Bomba, The Jungle Boy" day?

Kyle In Hollywood

*And gosh, they've shown a "Charlie Chan" here and there,*

They had a number of the Toler and Oland Chans last year as part of their salute to Asians in *Race and Hollywood*.

So, Fox has played ball with TCM before.

A month long Saturday morning salute to Chan would be awesome.

Edited by: lzcutter on Nov 27, 2009 9:21 AM for verb tense

*I know we posted the breakdown in these Forums but we can't "search" beyond the year 2008 so I can't "dig it out".*

When did that happen? Not being able to search back in the archives beyond 2008 seriously sucks.

I wonder if this is a new rule or another software glitch?

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=MaskedMala wrote:}{quote}

> > Speaking of film series, TCM should complete the Jungle Jim series (only 3 movies were shown)

>

> I remember those. Aren't there also some Bomba Boy movies that someone asked for?

Kyle did, and I'm with him 100%!!!

And yep, would love to see more of the "Jungle Jim" series!

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> Two Novembers ago, TCM had what some of us called (at the time) the "greatest month of TCM ever." That month the channel devoted the daytime hours each day to famous and popular film series. Anyone got that list of series?

I don't have a list of the series, but the schedule itself can be seen at:

http://www.classicmovies.org/turner/turner1107.htm

(Sadly, the site doesn't have listings back more than a few years.)