Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Osborne's Health

> {quote:title=clearskies wrote:}{quote}

> I can't believe he's 77, I always felt he was somewhere in his late 50's, early 60's. I have also always felt that he should lose some weight, perhaps he is & it's showing in his face. I do hope he's not ill.

Hi clearskies, welcome to the forums :)

I remember reading somewhere that RO was on a diet, I believe it was medically supervised, so it wasn't just some kind of random weight loss. As far as I know, he's still in great health.

> Let's hope his health is good. Thanks very much for the welcome. I'm having a bit of a problem navigating this site & when I click on "Post Message" sometimes nothing happens. Will persevere.

Yes, it takes a bit of patience sometimes to navigate this site... hang in there. ;)

He was on a medically supervised diet earlier this year. When he first began to lose weight it was quite apparent because of his suits and the way he looked on camera. Since this summer, his weight appears to have stablized and he gained a new wardrobe.

He looks much better now than he did in the Spring.

> I'm having a bit of a problem navigating this site & when I click on "Post Message" sometimes nothing happens. Will persevere.

Most of us have that problem. Seems there is a ?time-out? bug in the system that sometimes allows only 10 to 15 seconds to type in messages. What I do for longer posts is type them in a Word document, then copy them over to a post on this board.

Regarding Mr. Osborne, about three years ago, some people on this board began to say that he was ?too fat?. Now someone is saying that he is ?too thin?. I think he is ?just right?.

Here is Robert Osborne in the first 1962 episode of ?The Beverly Hillbillies?. He was 30 at that time, and that was 47 years ago.

See :23 seconds into this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXWLqecEoXQ&

Robert Osborne looks much better today. I think he was overweight and weight loss looks good on him. As for skin color, it looks like he wears a bit of makeup for the camera, but it isn't over obvious. I agree Osborne looks great for his age.

I remember how shocked I was when I found out Robert Osborne's real age. I took him for MUCH younger than that, but then when I stopped to figure out how long he had been around (his early appearances on "The Beverly Hillbillies", his work with Lucille Ball as part of "The Desilu Workshop", etc.), it worked out and made sense that he WOULD be that old, but he certainly doesn't look or act it!

You can tell he has put on a few pounds and his hair is styled differently , from those old 30 minute short shows they dig up from many years back, and the interview shows(brain not working, can't think of the name...you know what I mean) but that's it. Hopefully he will host for MANY more years.

I don't think I am sharing State secrets when I say that all RO's Intros/Outros are taped during a single trip to Atlanta each month and over just a few days.

After Fifteen years of doing them, the crew is a fine-tuned & well-oiled machine. And some of the friendliest folks one could meet. The epitome of Southern Hospitality. ("Would you like your water cold or at room temperature?")

So, Robert Osborne has a lot time away from TCM to enjoy a vacation.

Kyle In Hollywood

-----------------

"I saw Robert Benchley in his shorts!" - Fred Allen

*Fred*, thanks for posting the link to the episode of *The Beverly Hillbillies* featuring Robert Osborne?s role. I have often heard him mention his career as an actor, but I have never seen him in any of these roles. He was a handsome and elegant gentleman in the early 1960s, just as he is now, these things never go out of style.

*Kyle*, thanks for sharing a bit of your experience meeting Mr. Osborne and visiting the TCM studios. I think the sets are the perfect backdrop for RO?s intros/outros, both elegant and comfortable. I suspect many of us have wondered if the experience lives up to expectation: the chance to share your passion for classic films while sitting in one of those beautiful red leather chairs.