Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anthony Hopkins, TCM Guest Programmer (11/30)

So what does everyone think of Anthony Hopkins being invited to be TCM's Guest Programmer for the month?

I figure, as long as he doesn't turn to RO and ask, "Would you like some nice chianti with that?", it should be good - and worth watching.

I'm interested in hearing why he picked the movies he selected:

*The Lady From Shanghai* (1948) 8pm ET

A romantic drifter gets caught between a corrupt tycoon and his voluptuous wife.

Cast: Rita Hayworth, Orson Welles, Everett Sloane, Glenn Anders Dir: Orson Welles BW-87 mins, TV-PG

*The Treasure of the Sierra Madre* (1948) 9:45pm ET

Three prospectors fight off bandits and each other after striking-it-rich in the Mexican mountains.

Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston, Tim Holt, Bruce Bennett Dir: John Huston BW-126 mins, TV-PG

*The Grapes Of Wrath* (1940) 12am ET

Oklahoma farmers dispossessed during the Depression fight for better lives in California.

Cast: Henry Fonda, Jane Darwell, John Carradine, Charley Grapewin Dir: John Ford BW-129 mins, TV-G

*Rear Window* (1954) 2:15am ET

A photographer with a broken leg uncovers a murder while spying on the neighbors in a nearby apartment building.

Cast: James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Wendell Corey, Thelma Ritter Dir: Alfred Hitchcock C-114 mins, TV-PG

*"Would you like some nice chianti with that?", it should be good - and worth watching.*

When I heard he was going to be a guest programmer, I immediately thought of his delightful and poignant turn as Zorro's dad.

But to each their own I guess.

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> Also, I love that TCM can attract heavy hitters like this as guest programmers. 3 of the films on the list are in B/W, and that's always great!

Well, I agree, it's nice to see the likes of AH on TCM. I enjoyed his intro to Lady from Shanghai and his explanation of how his viewpoint is shaped by coming here from another country (and, by the way, I absolutely _adore_ his Welsh accent!)

Looking forward to the other intros tonight. :D

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> When I heard he was going to be a guest programmer, I immediately thought of his delightful and poignant turn as Zorro's dad.

Hopkins played the old, exiled Zorro, but he was Antonio Banderas's character's mentor, not his father. It's Elena, Catherine Zeta-Jones's character, who's his child.

In the intro to "The Grapes of Wrath," Tony Hopkins mentioned what type of scenes were his favorite throughout the movie. I couldn't quite make out what he said. Does anybody know?

Thanks in advance.

I recorded the first 3 films if only to see Anthony (who RO called Tony!) Hopkins and his intros/outros! They were fun!

For THE GRAPES OF WRATH, I really only heard him talk about the most famous scene, and didn't hear him refer to any others, but my intro was cut off a bit at the beginning!

It was nice to see!

> {quote:title=mr6666 wrote:}{quote}

> I liked his mention Of Ann Sheridan, uncredited, playing a hooker Bogie ganders at in "Treasure...." and even R.O. didn't know which part she played......pretty cool!

I loved that comment as well! Very cool!

Also loved how he gushed over American actors of the classic era, saying that they don't act, they just come out and do it, but are fabulous actors! He mentioned, as far as I can recall, Bogie, Spencer Tracy, Henry Fonda. Also very cool! :)