Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Richard Widmark

Richard Widmark will work on a number of the threads in this forum War, Gangster-film noir,drama and most certainly right here on westerns. my favorite Widmark western is a split decision either Warlock with Henry Fonda and Anthony Quinn or Backlash with Dona Reed, Henry Morgan with a terrific performance by William Campbell as the murderous young gunfighter "Johnny Cool" a completely wrong name for a 50's western, but Campbell is great.

I hope this thread has lots of legs there lots to talk about with Richard Widmark.

"Yellow Sky" with Greg Peck and Anne Baxter, "Garden of Evil" with Gary Cooper and Susan Hayward and John Ford's flawed but at times beautiful "Cheyenne Autumn", Delmer Daves terrific oater "The Last Wagon" These are a few of my picks for a wonderful actor, he did a great many more westerns plus a great number of dramatic roles, and who you never heard any dirt about.He was married to his first wife for 55 years until her death and his second until his death. I remember an interview with Carroll Baker who co starred with him in "Cheyenne Autumn" and she stared that she fell in love with him during the filming, but never said anything to him....

Edited by: fredbaetz on Dec 2, 2009 9:15 PM

Liked him in SLATTERY'S HURRICANE. Who could forget him as psychopath Tommy Udo in KISS OF DEATH? That menacing,maniacal giggle. Enough to give one the creeps.He was very good as the prosecutor in JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBURG, and the cynical pick-pocket in Sam Fuller's PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET(right title?).I think Richard Widmark was highly versatile, at once likable, believable, and more often than not, absolutely dispicable, in his long and varied career. I have some old radio programs he did back in the early '50's on vinyl. Again, he was excellent in almost everything he did. I miss him a lot.Best, Bruce.

Others have mentioned SLATTERYS HURRICANE I had never heard of it before loging on here I'd like to see it. His Tommy Udo is an outstanding portrayal of a sociopath he does something similar in THE STREET WITH NO NAME. Judgement At Nuremburg he was terrific in terrific ensamble cast.

Another one a film-noir PANIC IN THE STREETS with Jack Palance is well worth a look. For the war movie fans he did HALLS OF MONTEZUMA also worth a look.

SLATTERY"S HURRICANE shows up now and then on The Fox Movie Channel. In fact, they ran it just a couple of days ago. Knowing FMC, it's a good bet it will be on many times in the coming year. Still, it would be good to see it on TCM though.

Also in John Ford's "Two Rode Together" with James Stewart and with the Duke in 'The Alamo" as Jim Bowie and one of his nastiest performances as the bigot in "No Way Out" { not to be confused with the Costner film} with Stephen McNally, Linda Darnell and Sidney Poitier's first film. This is an extremely powerful film for it's time with standout performances by the entire cast and directed by Joseph Mankiewiez.Look for a young Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee also.Poitier and Widmark struck up a life long friendship during this film. Story goes Widmark kept apologizing to Poitier after almost every take because of the verbal abuse his character spewed at Poitier. This is not a film for children...

Edited by: fredbaetz on Dec 4, 2009 2:03 AM

Edited by: fredbaetz on Dec 4, 2009 2:08 AM

Somewhere I have a taping of the biography show on Richard Widmark, its on a vhs tape with other stuff and not labeled. Not very organized about somethings. I do remember Widmark talking about the movie and working with James Stewart and John Ford, all 3 men had a hearing problem of sorts. He joked about how they had to yell at each other to communicate. The scene where Widmark and Stewart are resting by the river and cooling off was a puton of their hearing problems. Richard Widmark had a wry sense of humor.

Yes Holly I agree "Warlock" is a terrific Western with a great cast;Henry Fonda, Tony Quinn, Widmark. Dorothy Malone and DeForest Kelley pre "Star Trek". Always a lot of discussion on this film about the Fonda and Quinn characters connection with each other.I believed we discussed this in another thread Holly?

I assume you guys get AMC that frustrating station that shows great movies ruins them with far to many commercials and "bleeps" the H*** out of them and then to rub it in they repeat the same movies over and over. Backlash & Warlock have been on AMC over and over during the past year I like these movies but interrupted by commercials every 10 mins?

Edited by: stjohnrv on Dec 5, 2009 8:47 PM

Edited by: stjohnrv on Dec 5, 2009 8:48 PM