Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Richard Widmark

Well, yes, fortunately, they are shown without commercials, and they're also starting to show more of them in the original aspect ratio (letterboxed) although a few of them are still shown in pan-and-scan versions.

The FMC doesn't have commercials, but they do show promos for other Fox movies and Fox programs between the movies, when there's some time to fill.

I took out my copy of PANIC IN THE STREETS the other night I hadn't watched it for ages. The ending where Jack Palance & Zero Mostel are trying to evade the police is a first rate chase scene. Jack could really push the buttons in this kind action drama the way he crawls frantically along the dock and tries to get past the rat catcher on the ships lines holds your attention. Jack was best when he was a nasty piece of work and hes really nasty in this one.

Jack Palance is another example of nasty , vicious guys on the screen being just the opposite in real life. Richard Widmark claimed Palance hit him too hard with the gun and actually knocked him out for a brief time. And that is the take we see in the movie.

• 2 months later...

Really up for a night of Widmark, the snow shoveling can wait. I just suggested Night And The City for future airing, I believe that movie is his very best performance of all. And I repeat my call for a Richard Widmark day in August.

So you're in the storm area as well, mrroberts? My best wishes to you and all our fellow TCM fans out there in the Northeast.

I do like Widmark in pretty much every noir he ever starred in, and I do think you're right about Night and the City.

As for a Widmark day in SUTS, I'm always all for it, however in this case it may depend entirely on whatever TCM can get from Fox, since he made so many movies for that studio.

• 1 month later...

My favorite bad guy, Richard Widmark, gets to play a rare good guy role tomorrow at 11 AM in John Ford's Two Rode Together. Widmark plays an army cavalry officer who has to keep James Stewart's cynical, money grubbing sheriff in line as the two go out in search of white settlers who have been taken captive by native tribes. And Widmark gets to romance Shirley Jones, lucky guy.

stjohnrv wrote:

"Others have mentioned SLATTERYS HURRICANE I had never heard of it before loging on here I'd like to see it. His Tommy Udo is an outstanding portrayal of a sociopath he does something similar in THE STREET WITH NO NAME. . . . Another one a film-noir PANIC IN THE STREETS with Jack Palance is well worth a look. "

Most of my favorite Richard Widmark movies are his early noirs and melodramas, mostly made for Fox, like Kiss of Death, Street With No Name, No Way Out, Panic in the Streets, Pickup on South Street, etc , usually playing despicable characters. However, I really abhor his character in Slattery's Hurricane, maybe because it upsets me that Linda Darnell would so easily jeopardize her marriage to John Russell (a much better match for her) without much real encouragement from Richard by way of the script. Poor Veronica Lake suffers through all this (in a part probably meant for/turned down by Celeste Holm). The subplot about who Widmark and Lake were working for is quite convoluted . . . all in all, I think they focused on a thoroughly unpleasant character whose regeneration at the end is hard to swallow.

• 7 months later...

Just checked the schedule, there are no Richard Widmark movies on Dec 26th (his birthday). But TCM has the western "Warlock" on at 8pm on Dec 7th (what, no Tora, Tora, Tora?) "Warlock" is a great western, one of Widmark's many westerns, and has a great cast including Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinn, Dorothy Malone; been a while since I've seen that one.

I love Widmark in *Don't Bother to Knock*. It was interesting to see him caught up between the two women, Ann Bancroft, playing his girlfriend, and Marilyn Monroe, the disturbed young woman he encounters in a hotel. He is always good at showing frustration, blowing his top, but rarely does he show as much tenderness as he finally does toward "Nell" (MM) near the end. He makes a similar swing in *Slattery's Hurricane* when he's caught between Linda Darnell and Veronica Lake (oddly enough, another blonde playing emotionally fragile).

• 7 months later...

A good excuse to resurrect this thread --- this Saturday, July 9th at 10pm est, TCM is showing *The Bedford Incident* which stars Richard Widmark. This is one of his very best roles and performances. He plays a dangerously obsessed U S Navy Captain of a guided missile destroyer, the Bedford. On patrol in the Arctic waters his ship encounters a Soviet submarine. The Bedford's Captain, a staunch anti Communist, is determined to force a confrontation with the sub, inspite of the potential consequence of triggering an act of war, that could escalate into something much larger. This must have been a frightening movie to watch in the 60's. Any military commander (from either side) could break from discipline and commit an act that could lead to nuclear war. The movie gives a very realistic example of such a possiblity, and Richard Widmark plays the character as only he could play it.

• 5 months later...

Happy Birthday to my favorite bad guy, *Richard Widmark* , born on Dec 26th, 1914 , passed away on March 24th, 2008. A fine actor who always made a character interesting to watch. Ocassionally he even got to play the good guy and get the girl.

Just shows how fine an actor he was. Tommy Udo married to his first wife for 55 years until her death and his second for 8 years until his death. He hated violence and believed in gun control. Richard Widmark, a CLASS act all the way. We could use a few more like him today in movies....

I totally agree with all the good things that've been said about Richard Widmark, and would like to put in a plug for one of his best movies, Time Limit, which is scheduled for 12:15 AM (ouch!) on Wednesday, March 14th. Widmark plays an army investigator who's trying to find out whether Richard Basehart's Korean War treason confession is valid, and it's as good a depiction of the conflicting values of honor, truth and patriotism that you'll ever see in a movie. It also happens to have been directed by Karl Malden.

Here's TCM's synopsis and cast page: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/17351/Time-Limit/

*Time Limit* appears to be the only time Karl Malden directed without playing any kind of role in the film (but I am sure he directed some episodes of Streets of San Francisco). In the Richard Widmark bio Karl Malden said that he and Widmark were long time good friends dating back to the forties (from the stage or radio) , and Karl had a small part in *Kiss Of Death* . Widmark, while a likeable guy with a sense of humor, did have a short fuse and wanted to work quickly. So on *Time Limit* he and Karl had some disagreement (Widmark's production company hired Karl to direct) and Widmark actually "fired" Karl . But before the day was over all was forgotten and the filming went on. Richard Basehart was great as usual in his role on *Time Limit* , that film has a "touch of noir" considering the story and the cast.