Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jennifer Jones, 90, has passed away

Yeah, it's all about youth. If you havent worked in the last decade, forget it. (unless you are a tv star and have the advantage of reruns in syndication)

I had not realized her one son had died recently. Does anyone know any details? How old was he?

Email rec'd

TCM to Salute Jennifer Jones With Four-Film Tribute

Dec 18, 2009

Jennifer Jones won her Oscar for playing a saintly figure, but she displayed the true wow factor in her sensual roles. Turner Classic Movies will salute Jones, who died at age 90 on Thursday, by airing four of her films on Jan. 7, 2010.

Jones won her Academy Award for playing a peasant girl in ?The Song of Bernadette,? a stately 1943 religious drama (pictured). She received four other nominations, as supporting actress in ?Since You Went Away? and as lead actress in ?Love Letters,? ?Duel in the Sun? and ?Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing.? Her career is a reminder, in Oscar season, that a performer?s best work isn?t always reflected in Academy Award victories and nominations. If you want Jones at her apex, look to the romantic comedy ?Cluny Brown? or the passionate drama ?Ruby Gentry.?

As good as she was in noble roles, Jones brought gusto to sexy roles. Just watch her pant over Gregory Peck and crawl through the dust in ?Duel in the Sun.? Years later, when Peck won a life achievement award from the American Film Institute, Jones joked that love scenes with him didn?t constitute hard work. No kidding. The movie has been nicknamed ?Lust in the Dust,? and Jones supplies most of the lust. ?Sun,? a huge, over-the-top 1946 Western, is the first of the four films on TCM?s schedule.

TCM Special Broadcast Schedule

08:00pm: Duel in the Sun

10:30pm: Beat the Devil, with Humphrey Bogart

12.15am: Madame Bovary, with James Mason, Van Heflin.

02:15am: Indiscretion of an American Wife, with Montgomery Clift

Jones was married to the actor Robert Walker (?Strangers on a Train?), the film producer David O. Selznick (?Gone With the Wind?) and the industrialist Norton Simon. Selznick over-managed her career. And younger viewers may best remember Jones as the nice lady who enchanted Fred Astaire in ?The Towering Inferno.? Her career, while uneven, has some treasures worth investigating. ?Carrie,? a 1952 version of ?Sister Carrie,? contains one of Laurence Olivier?s finest performances. She is luminous in ?Portrait of Jennie.? She enchants in ?Cluny Brown.? And she mesmerizes during a tempestuous romance with Charlton Heston in ?Ruby Gentry.?

----------------------

[Jennifer Jones|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/participant.jsp?spid=96480] (RIP) was in the movie [bEAT THE DEVIL|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=68277] (1954) with Humphrey Bogart. I liked her and the movie. As part of TCM's Humphrey Bogart: Star of the Month it is being broadcast Dec 30 at 11:30pm. I would be shocked if [Robert Osborne|http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=488] did not comment on Jones passing when he introduces the movie. I already had BEAT THE DEVIL on my list to post - on Dec 28 - info, movie review, movie poster(s), and photos, on this forum's Bogart SOTM thread for the final Week 5 of this month's 70 SOTM broadcasts.- LTC

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=282733

*January Schedule Change for Jennifer Jones Tribute*

TCM is changing its previously scheduled programming for Thursday, January 7th in order to honor the late Jennifer Jones.

Here is the new schedule line-up:

8:00 PM *Duel In The Sun* (?46)

10:30 PM *Beat The Devil* (?54)

12:15 AM *Madame Bovary* (?49)

2:15 AM *Indiscretion Of An American Wife* (?54)

*TCM Remembers Jennifer Jones (1919-2009)*

With her dark, oblique beauty and capacity for emotional fervor, Jennifer Jones became a leading star of the 1940s and '50s. An actress of determined versatility, she played everything from spiritual innocents to tempestuous vixens, quivering neurotics to assured professional women.

Born in Tulsa, Okla., in 1919, Jones was trained at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York. She married fellow actor Robert Walker in 1939, and the two headed for Hollywood. After minor film appearances under her real name, Phyllis Isley, Jones came under the powerful influence of producer David O. Selznick, who groomed her for stardom. She made an indelible impression with her impassioned performance in her first major movie role, that of Bernadette in *The Song of Bernadette* (1943), which brought her a Best Actress Oscar?.

Jones was again nominated for Oscars? for *Since You Went Away* (1944, in the supporting category); *Duel in the Sun* (1946), Selznick's grandiose Western, in which she broke away from her usual screen stereotype for the first time playing a fiery half-breed who shares a lustful affair with Gregory Peck; *Portrait of Jennie* (1948), a love story with supernatural overtones; and *Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing* (1955), in which she gives a lovely, self-assured performance as Han Suyin, the Eurasian doctor who falls for an American (William Holden).

Jones, who divorced Walker in 1945 and married Selznick in 1949, continued to pick off plum roles in such films as *Madame Bovary* (1949), *Carrie* (1952), *Ruby Gentry* (1952), *Good Morning, Miss Dove* (1955), *The Barretts of Wimpole Street* (1957), *A Farewell to Arms* (1957) and *Tender Is the Night* (1962). Perhaps her most offbeat effort was *Beat the Devil* (1953), a satirical adventure in which she dons a blonde wig to play a seemingly respectable Englishwoman with secrets up her sleeve. In this deadpan comedy, which went unappreciated in its day but later became a cult favorite, Jones held her own against leading man Humphrey Bogart and proved she could be a first rate farceur.

After Selznick's death in 1965, Jones' career became erratic, with leads in a couple of minor films and a supporting role in one last big-budget production, *The Towering Inferno* (1974), which brought her a Golden Globe nomination. She was remarried, to businessman-philanthropist Norton Simon, and again widowed. She has avoided the limelight except for her work with charity and the Norton Simon Museum, her late husband's art museum in Pasadena, Calif.

by Roger Fristoe

I wonder if there's any chance TCM will ever show the restored version of Gone To Earth/The Wild Heart? I know they showed it a Lincoln Center tribute to her (last year). I would love to see this film. (apparently Selznick butchered it for U.S. release).

Hibi,

I would absolutely _love_ to see the restored version of Gone to Earth show up on TCM, and hope they'll be able to get it some day. I'm under the impression there's a DVD of the movie somewhere, but possibly not the restored version. And I do know it played in a few cities besides NYC, including Seattle.

Hopefully, we'll get a chance to watch it on TCM someday.

And my heartfelt thanks to the TCM programming department for putting this tribute to Jennifer Jones together so quickly.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

> I was under the impression that Criterion had licensed GONE TO EARTH.

It's possible they did license it, and haven't had time to release it on DVD yet. I'm sure they'd love to release a few more Powell & Pressburger movies, if they can.

For the time being, I'll have to make do with the Korean import, at least the subtitles are removable.

> {quote:title=adore_annette wrote:}{quote}

> One of my favorite actresses (also one of the most beautiful), I love all her movies especially the ones she made with Joseph Cotten. RIP Jennifer

>

Hi adore_annette, welcome to the forums :)

I noticed you removed your photo code thing - for some reason the regular code to post a photo doesn't work in the "General Discussions" folder, instead you only use a "!" before and after the web address, that usually works.

Very beautiful photo - and it's autographed! So glad you could post that, thanks for sharing.

I just watched the *TCM Remembers Jennifer Jones* promo (right before the 8pm ET movie); it was very touching, and I'm sorry for the life of me that I couldn't recognize all of the clips. I'm especially curious about the one where she's sitting behind the typewriter. Hope I can figure out which movie that was.

Oddly enough, the TCM Remembers promo is not yet on the TCM Media Room, but I did find some trailers and clips of some of her best movies:

*The Song of Bernadette* trailer

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_cid=mediaroomlink&cid=84393

*Madame Bovary* trailer

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_cid=mediaroomlink&cid=60961

*Love Letters* trailer

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_cid=mediaroomlink&cid=15419

*Carrie* (1952) trailer

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_cid=mediaroomlink&cid=24326

*Love is a Many-Splendored Thing* trailer

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_cid=mediaroomlink&cid=221787

*The Barretts of Wimpole Street* trailer

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_cid=mediaroomlink&cid=10769

*Portrait of Jennie* movie clip

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_cid=mediaroomlink&cid=217555

Kudos to TCM for getting TCM Remembers up quickly! I saw it many times over the wknd. Sadly no clips from Bernadette, though oddly there were 2 clips from Splendored Thing which is also a Fox film. Why not show the waltz clip from Bovary instead of her sitting just before it? I didnt care for the last clip either though I guess it was appropriate (was it from We Were Strangers?) I thought the longshot from the train station in SYWA would've been more effective (though they did show a close up from that scene) All in all, though I was happy to see it up and running so quickly. Someone was apparently working overtime. Thank you TCM! I noticed they also edited her in the yearly "roll call" as well! (the ending clip again....)

Edited by: Hibi on Dec 21, 2009 11:57 AM

bluebird,

Not sure if I am familiar with your website, but would love to visit.

As for JJ, I just watched Gone to Earth and posted about it in the Powell & Pressburger thread in "Films and Filmmakers" forum. Very good movie, great performance by the beautiful Jennifer Jones, again in gorgeous Technicolor.