Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM REMEMBERS 2009!!

Yemaya

> {drednm wrote:

> He was not a movie star....

Even though I'm from the old Hollywood School of thinking . . . And, it's nothing personal towards Mr. Jackson . . . I'm in total agreement that he was not a bonda fide movie star. After all, he only had the one big major musical film and bascially he never pursued a career in films. So, from a technical standpoint as TCM sees it, Jackson must be omitted from any consideration as a major player in motion pictures. Music videos simply don't count, as does having a major recording career, with little or no work in the movies. After all, who would you count next on this list? Somebody like Paris Hilton or Britney Spears? Being a noted celebrity isn't what being on the "TCM Remebers" list is all about.

I think Michael Jackson should have been included. He wasn't a movie star in the "classic sense", but he did star in The Wiz, and more importantly, he was the greatest singer, entertainer, performer and dancer that ever lived. That, in my opinion, should be enough to include this phenomenal talent in the TCM list.

I think Michael Jackson should have been included. He wasn't a movie star in the "classic sense", but he did star in The Wiz, and more importantly, he was the greatest singer, entertainer, performer and dancer that ever lived. That, in my opinion, should be enough to include this phenomenal talent in the TCM list.

Jackson was by no stretch of the imagination "the greatest singer, entertainer, performer and dancer that ever lived."

His creepy lifestyle overshadowed whatever talent he had. And he was not a movie star.

I believe the TCM tribute aired before Britney Murphy died. Arnold Stang was not included either.

While I have no problem with the exclusion of Michael Jackson from "TCM Remembers - 2009", I am left questioning why he was excluded while another singer with few film credits, Al Martino, was included? I hope it isn't solely because *The Godfather* is superior to *The Wiz*.

Kyle In Hollywood

It would have been a grave injustice and insult to all the truly classic actors if Michael Jackson had been included in the 2009 tribute. What exactly was classic about Michael Jackson??? Michael Jackson belongs in the rock and roll hall of fame NOT the classic movie hall of of fame.

Al Martino was pretty good in Godfather. Did he do any other films? In the case of Michael Jackson, he was in The Wiz, but I think that didn't get good reviews. I think he should have been included in the list though. To omit him would show a lack of respect.

Yes, omitting Michael Jackson was a huge mistake considering TCM honored Johnny Cash and Ray Charles the previous years, and I wouldn't consider them "movie stars".

I'm very curious who makes the decisions over at TCM over who is "good enough" to be included in these tributes or not. I find it very sickening how they didn't even include Brittany Murphy who was in more films than Natasha Richardson?

The TCM Remembers was a nice dedication. However, I didn't expect TCM to honor singers. MJ has been honored, remembered and talked about so much that I think it made good sense not to include him in a "memoriam" that honors classic films, the industry and those who were an influential part of it.

I don't know if this was mentioned or not because I haven't read the whole thread, but I did notice that actor Sam Bottoms was included in this memoriam although he passed away in December of 2008. They must have missed him last year and added him this year.

*They must have missed him last year and added him this year.*

The yearly December *TCM Remembers* begins running around the second weekend of December. TCM tries to include those who pass away after the tribute begins airing in the following year's tribute.

Last year, TCM made an exception and re-edited that tribute to include Van Johnson when he passed away after the piece began running.

This year, TCM made an exception and added Jennifer Jones.

Hopefully, next year's tribute will include Gene Barry who passed away in mid-December.

classicmoviedame Posts: 13 Registered: 12/14/08

Re: TCM REMEMBERS 2009!! Posted: Dec 30, 2009 6:50 PM in response to: lonepine

"They did not include Patrick Swayze, but yet they included Natasha Richardson."

Patrick Swayze was included. What the hell are you looking at?!

Edited by: CineMaven on Dec 30, 2009 6:58 PM Had to cite what I was talking about. You know how folks edit around these parts.

> {quote:title=WhitSt wrote:}{quote}

> How does most present a title on these boards? Is there a proper way?

>

> Up in the Air

> "Up in the Air"

> *Up in the Air*

> Up in the Air

> _Up in the Air_

>

You didn't mention ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, which I use sometimes, but most of the time I put the title in quotes.

This question has been discussed before, but I really don't recall if there was one correct answer decided upon.

Anyway, I'll just continue the way I have.

Archived