Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A review of It's A Wonderful Life

I also liked how she described Mother Bailey as running a brothel in the alternate universe of Potterville.

Guess she doesn't watch too many classic films where those less well off are often forced to rent out rooms in their homes to make ends meet.

But the jump to Mother Bailey being a madame is quite a leap.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but if that cockeyed "review" doesn't outlaw internet blogs, NOTHING will!

I can't wait for her review of "Holiday Inn", a film about a singer who moves to the country and opens a combination brothel/crack house that's only open on holidays!

"Its a Wonderful Life" was easy to follow, its the review that is not. I think Frank Capra was ahead of his time showing people alternative realities long before Gene Roddenberry came along.

The plot in "Its a Wonderful Life" is simply a man who is at the end of his rope due to circumstances that piled up. Don't we feel that sometimes? George Iike many unfortunate people even today, thought suicide was the easy way out. He didn't realize how that act alone, which would have been devastating to his love ones, got a lesson taught by his guardian angel - in a nutshell *No man is an island!*

The angel simply gave him his wish to show how he impacted everyone around him, even though George doesn't know the extent of his presense here on Earth.

Frank Capra could have showed different outcomes for the other people in the movie but he chose what we see in the movie. Some reviewers try to over anaylize it, thinking well that could not have happened as the script shows. That is not the point, take example Donna Reed, Frank Capra could have showed different outcomes - she could have turned out to be a lady wrestler for all we know! (just to stress the point).

Reviewers needs to get into the deeper meaning of what the movie is about. At the end George realize how important HE IS and obstacles can be overcomed. Life has bumps in the road and we as humans needs to know that is not as all bad as it seems.

As a lesson that we can learn from, many lives of people that had commited suicide could have been saved if they had their own "guardian angel", which can be family members, freinds, counselors, etc. The problem is that some people in this selfish fast pace society simply don't give a dam_n even when it comes to their own families.

Life is a gift and should be cherished!

If any reviewer don't get the point from reading this, then you need to get into another line of work.

Edited by: hamradio on Dec 18, 2009 9:08 PM Had to rephrase a sentence.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> "Its a Wonderful Life" was easy to follow, its the review that is not. I think Frank Capra was ahead of his time showing people alternative realities long before Gene Roddenberry came along.

As has been pointed out since the film's release sixty-three years ago, Charles Dickens was doing it in 1870, when he wrote A Christmas Carol, the real inspiration for the Philip van Doren Stern short story that Albert Hackett and Frances Goodrich adapted into IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> "a certain movie rental place in Woodland Hills"

>

> LOL! She's a Valley Girl, and sounds like it.

I managed to get all of two paragraphs into the "review," and was driven back by the raging fires of the reviewer's appalling grammar and inept sentence construction.

Calling this ditzy woman a "Valley Girl" is a mortal insult to Valley Girls everywhere.

*She has GOT to be putting us on. No one is THAT dense!*

It would be nice to think she wrote it tongue in cheek but there is no real indication of that other than calling Ma Bailey a brothel. And that came across as a typo and bad writing.

Really good tongue in cheek writing, like satire, makes a point.

This review didn't have one except to sound like a snob/idiot at the expense of a beloved, classic film.

> {quote:title=sineast wrote:}{quote}

> Charles Dickens was too busy being dead during the second half of TYOOL

> 1870 to do much writing. Fortunately for Tiny Tim, he had completed +A Christmas

> Carol+ many years before.

True; I meant to write 1843. By 1870 he was hob-nobbing with the Ghost of Christmases Past.

> *She has GOT to be putting us on. No one is THAT dense!*

You know what is really scary? In a few years, she will be allowed to drive. That alone makes me afraid to go anywhere on the streets.

I don't think she is trying to be funny. I knew we were in trouble when you look at the site's header: "Up and coming movie reviewer writer who writes about movies and sometimes other stuff." I think I just got a headache.

I also took a look at her review of "Inglorious Bastards" (sigh)...and she said in part, "Not only is Inglorious Bastards an historical movie, but it also a remake of the Tom Cruise movie, Valkyrie. Why remake a movie that came out last year, you ask? Well, first of all, because nobody saw it, for one. I think a lot of people looked at the picture of Tom Cruise with the army outfit and eye patch and thought maybe it was a pirate movie and were disappointed when it wasn?t. Personally, I didn?t see it just because Tom Cruise kind of creeps me out. One person who did see it, however, was Brad Pitt and he walked away liking the plot, but knowing that he could do it way better. And guess what,?he totally did do it better!" Read all the way through it and you would never know that Quentin Tarantino was even around. LOL, and she puts a "SPOILER" notation in the review after she has given away that plot point.

And you have to love this bit..."I looked up Brad Pitt?s character online and it turns out that the real Aldo Ray became a movie actor and played in (ready for this??) army movies. So, Brad Pitt is an actor playing an army guy that was an army guy that became an actor. Makes you kind of dizzy, right?" Oh, dearie, dear.

(Reading some of the responses she got, I think my favorite is: I thought that the Bastards would have been better with Robert Patternson, Justin Timberlake, Zack Efron, Cole and Dilon Sprouse and Shia. It would have made more sense if there gang had all cool members rather than people from other countries like Nazi Germany and Boston. If these are the adults of tomorrow, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm locking my door at nights.)

I must say it is really easy to believe this is all a put-on when you look at the piece she did on the Muppets 40th anniversary: "Created by Disney in 1940, Muppets were sort of like Pinocchio dolls, but you could put your hand inside of them."

Edited by: filmlover on Dec 19, 2009 5:53 AM

It's hard to argue with such brilliant insights:

http://www.valeriewriter.com/2009/04/07/movies-that-should-be-remade-into-remakes/

Citizen Cane

We had to watch this supposedly best film ever in class and, OMG, I thought it would never end! Thank goodness for my iphone or I think I might?ve fallen asleep. Sledding? Old time clothes? Giant fireplaces? Newspapers? Everything about this movie was almost impossible to relate to, at all. My professor said that the movie was really controversial for its time because it was a biography of a powerful businessman. Key words in that sentence are ?for its time?. So, let?s step it out of the 1920?s and step it up to the 2000?s.

Remade for today?s audiences, this would be a really controversial movie to do if someone made it about a powerful person of today that other people might be afraid to talk about. I think it would take someone like Ben Affleck to pull this off, he?s so powerful that he doesn?t have to worry about ruffling through some feathers. I think this would actually be a very successful movie if it was about someone relevant like Steve Jobs or Bill Gates or one of the popes. Can you imagine how mad they?d be?! ??Get that movie out of my face!?

I already wanna see it!

I guess my biggest problem with the writer's style is that it plays right into that stereotypical younger generation and all the reasons they won't watch classic black and white films.

Again, if she was doing it all as a joke, she needs to make that much clearer and much funnier.

Otherwise, Filmlover is right, it's kind of scary that someone takes that much glee at knocking classic films.

She'll never replace Roger Ebert.

Okay, now that we've all read that wacky "review" of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE how about a real review?

Here's what the movie industry Trade Paper "The Exhibitor" had to say about it on page 2081 of its December 25, 1946 issue:

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

Comedy drama.

Estimate: Outstanding.

One of the great films of this or any other year, this has all the ingredients to make up swell entertainment. It has humor, pathos, romance, and nostalgia, the conflict of human emotions, humaneness, heartthrobs, and all the other elements that make up life. The film possesses a wealth of talent both in its cast, its director, and its story. The production is extremely well handled, and falls into the highest category. To those who have witnessed and noted Frank Capra's work hithertofore, here is Capra and his touch at his best.

Tip On Bidding: Highest allocation.

Ad lines:

"Audiences Everywhere Will Acclaim This Film As One Of The Best Of All Time."

"Jimmy Stewart Returns In A Film That Shows Off Director Frank Capra At His Best."

"You'll Never Forget This Most Human Story Nor The People In It."

This is much more in line with my thinking. OK, the movie is overly sentimental. It could stand toning down. But it says so much about who we are and what we need. It's exceptionally well crafted and appeals to every emotion on the register. No movie has ever moved me to a greater degree.